Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Article: Insect Profile: Cucumber Beetles: Cucumber Beetle Control

Communities > Forums > Article: Insect Profile: Cucumber Beetles
bookmark
Forum: Article: Insect Profile: Cucumber BeetlesReplies: 6, Views: 128
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
katndrak
Haughton, LA

May 31, 2010
6:42 AM

Post #7845176

I was being over run by cucumber beetles a couple of weeks back. I went to the feed store and the lady there recommended Martin's Vegetable Plus. The active ingredient is Permethin. I mixed up and sprayed a couple of gallons over everything (including soaking the soil around around the base of squash, cucumber, and eggplant.) It was a miracle. I am now virtually cucumber beetle free.
PUPPYSMILES
La Porte, IN

May 31, 2010
9:10 AM

Post #7845536

RADISHES worked for me last year to keep the cuke beetle away and possibly the vine borer. Plant at least one seed beside every cucumber seed you plant. More is better. Then leave them all summer, let them go to seed and harvest the seeds. This year I probably have a thousand radish seeds and they're being planted beside almost everything in the garden especially the vining plants i.e. cukes, cantaloupe, watermelon, squash, pumpkins. Get them started as early as you can so they're big enough to repel the beetle when the other plants emerge. As I type this I can see a white moth sitting on one of my cabbage plants. Gotta go...
MakaiMary
Kapolei, HI

May 31, 2010
10:29 AM

Post #7845778

I don't have any tips on controlling them, just a humourous comment - one of my daughter's friends named them "Manly Bugs" as they look like lady bugs, but they're not... kinda cute...
eskarp
Albuquerque, NM

May 31, 2010
1:30 PM

Post #7846278

The only problem with the Martin's Vegetable Plus is that permethin is stuff you probably don't want to eat...despite being sold as a vegetable aid. I don't have cucumber beetles but I DO have squash bugs, who carry the same wilt bacteria and who are thoroughly entrenched in this area, which has seen cucurbits cultivated for a thousand years. I live in the Rio Grande Valley of N.M. very near the site of several ancient pueblos. I've finally managed to raise enough cukes, melons, and squash for myself---though not enough to sell---using row cover until the plants need bees for pollination of their flowers. The large organic farm near me uses the row cover throughout the season, uncovering the plants early every a.m. for the bees and then re-covering them midday. I don't have enough help available to do that but even the spring protection allows that plants to mature at least some fruit before they wilt.
OldMayfly
Atlanta, GA

May 31, 2010
4:33 PM

Post #7846753

Thanks so much, Puppysmiles, for your comment. I have been planting nasturtiums with my cukes, which seems to help--but now will also plant radishes.

The past two years I have harvested cucumbers for a few weeks until the wilt got them--then started a couple of new vines, and still had time to harvest more. (Zone 7/8)
tw48
Refugio , TX
(Zone 8b)

June 1, 2010
9:53 PM

Post #7850750

My biggest problem is aphids and my answer has been to just plant enough for all of us humans and bugs to share and then be sure to always have new plants coming up in succession. That way if a bunch of plants have cucumbers for a couple of weeks before the bugs get them, we still can enjoy cucumbers. Sometimes I'll have 15 plants at a time in various stages for our family of four. This has worked pretty well. Also, neem works very well and only kills sucking, chewing bugs. This means beneficials are generally unharmed. Humans take it as a health supplement, so it is definitely not harmful. This still is my last resort, however, since I hate spraying...
unkadan
N.E., WI
(Zone 3b)

June 5, 2010
5:16 AM

Post #7860368

Garlic oil and "cedar gard" both work well as deterents, I generally see 3 hatches with about 3 weeks in between. The early ones in May are the scouts I think ;-)

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Insect Profile: Cucumber Beetles Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Mandevilla Flower Mertie 1 May 31, 2010 7:38 AM
Cucumber plants wilted! Please HELP! AuntBusy 6 Jun 22, 2010 10:23 AM
Cucumber Beetles / odingod 0 May 31, 2010 8:15 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America