Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Gladiolus : no blooms

Communities > Forums > Gladiolus
bookmark
Forum: Gladiolus Replies: 2, Views: 65
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
sandyinthegarden
Port Charlotte, FL

May 31, 2010
8:31 AM

Post #7845442

I live in Florida and have a glad problem. I have some planted in the ground from 2 years ago. The year I planted them they were great. The next 2 years they come up but didnt bloom at all. No spikes but great foliage. This year I knew I couldnt count on them so I bought new and planted them in big pots. Huge bulbs! They grew tall and beautiful but only 1 flowered out of 30. What is going on?? Do they hate fertilizer? Did it get too hot before they bloomed? What am I doing wrong? I so love them and look forward to spring each year so I can grow some but am disappointed lately.
Mojoquilter
Wichita, KS
(Zone 6a)

June 30, 2010
8:54 AM

Post #7932894

I'm having the same problem in Kansas. great foliage but no blooms. This is their 2nd year. Last year they bloomed beautifully.
ZoarGardener
Bolivar, OH

July 16, 2010
2:06 PM

Post #7973549

I'm in the same boat as you guys. To date, I have 1 out of 40 in bloom and that one is pretty disappointing. Mine were planted in early May. I do know that they will typically take anywhere from 60 - 80 days to bloom. They also like plenty of moisture - like 1 inch per week.

side note - did you know that gladiolus get its name from the Latin word for "little sword"? (Due to the shape of the leaves.) The term gladiator is also derived from the same word because they were men who "lived and died by the sword." Thought that was interesting & wanted to share.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Gladiolus Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Gladiolus planting CountryGardens 48 Jan 11, 2010 11:27 AM
The Glad show has begun! wallaby1 156 Mar 21, 2007 10:28 PM
Possible plant support coop - perhaps for Glads? 4paws 58 May 30, 2007 7:12 PM
Brent and Becky glads bbrookrd 17 Mar 25, 2007 12:22 PM
Photos of Glads in the house 4paws 23 Apr 14, 2007 12:15 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America