Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: Crocus Lawns for a Joyful Spring: Awesome idea

Communities > Forums > Article: Crocus Lawns for a Joyful Spring
bookmark
Forum: Article: Crocus Lawns for a Joyful SpringReplies: 5, Views: 31
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
katrich
Church Hill, TN
(Zone 6b)

May 31, 2010
9:08 AM

Post #7845534

A great idea. I have actually done this on a much smaller scale some years ago and your great article and photos have brought back that desire to do it again on a bigger scale but maybe not thousands. We may put our house on the market this spring so this would be a great "show" for potential buyers. Lots of work but in today's market, every little bit helps. At least I will look forward to the beautiful colors. Thanks for sharing your wonderful experience. Your little Sunshine Girl is beautiful. You are blessed. Kathy
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

May 31, 2010
9:20 AM

Post #7845565

Oh, yes! Even just a small patch that's well placed at the corner of the driveway or front walk would brighten things up in early spring when the grass is still a bit dormant. Plant those bulbs pretty close together so they'll have extra impact!

Thank you for your comments. :-)
AnalogDog
Mountlake Terrace, WA
(Zone 8a)

May 31, 2010
8:30 PM

Post #7847488

I heard about this idea at a Garden Store. and it sound perfect for the PNW as one cannot cut the grass until well after crocus bloom where can one get such an order of bulbs?
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

June 1, 2010
3:35 AM

Post #7847815

There are a lot of great sources listed & reviewed in the Garden Watchdog. Bert (at eFlowerGarden, our own "Bleek") finds me nice discounts on bulk purchases, and van Engelen (the wholesale arm of John Scheepers) has good prices on larger amounts of bulbs.. I received nice big bulbs from both of them for this project, but I've ordered from other sources in the past also.

Have fun with your new crocus lawn!
Petalpants
Corpus Christi, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 4, 2010
4:30 PM

Post #7859372

Critter, enjoyed your article! I'm so happy that you guys got your little girl!--- wow, what a Blessing~ and what a wonderful gift from gardening friends: her very own flower-lawn!
Love your pictures, esp. the one of her pudgy foot with the flower! I guess I'm extra happy about your adoption, because I am an adoptive parent also! So, I know about waiting, & waiting,... for that special 'Call'! Have Fun! =)
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

June 5, 2010
3:48 AM

Post #7860258

I'm pretty sure she'll be shocked some day to discover that some yards just have grass and shrubbery... she's had some new flower out there to admire every day since the crocuses started! Yes, we sure do have fun with her, as I'm sure you have with yours! Thanks for your comments. :-)

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Crocus Lawns for a Joyful Spring Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
looks great onewish1 8 May 28, 2010 4:53 AM
Wonderful story behind this article! Bookerc1 17 Mar 20, 2011 12:03 PM
Beautiful..... nancy44 1 May 31, 2010 7:22 AM
I love that Jill hellnzn11 1 Jul 26, 2010 9:51 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America