Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Caudiciforms: Jatropha podagrica

Communities > Forums > Caudiciforms
bookmark
Forum: CaudiciformsReplies: 4, Views: 81
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

NancySLAZ

NancySLAZ
Sun Lakes, AZ
(Zone 9a)

May 31, 2010
9:45 AM

Post #7845655

This Jatropha podagrica that I got last year is doing really well this spring. The biggest leaf is almost 5 inches across. Hope the newer ones get that big too.

Thumbnail by NancySLAZ
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

June 16, 2010
12:06 PM

Post #7894099

NancySLAZ, very nice plant. Mine have been transplanted and are coming out of dormancy slowly. They plants are kept out doors under the trees for the summers and they do really well, then come inside during winter, the ones that get more sun make the leaves get a red tint to them under the trees.. the hummers pollinate the flowers and I've gotten seeds from these every year, something that just thrills me to death when I see the pods. Make sure you have humming bird feeders out if you want seeds, or hand pollinate. I don't know how they do that with such tiny flowers. I lost two last year and have two left.. Anyway, the leaves will get bigger and don't forget to fertilize, they love it. I use fish emulsion on all the fat plants and cactus.

NancySLAZ

NancySLAZ
Sun Lakes, AZ
(Zone 9a)

June 17, 2010
10:46 AM

Post #7896965

Thanks for the info on this plant. I didn't fertilize it but I will today! Mine is on a patio and shaded most of the time. I don't know if it will flower or not. I'm could move it to some sun in the morning. I've been afraid because in Phoenix the sun is so intense and I am afraid the leaves will burn.
Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

June 17, 2010
12:37 PM

Post #7897197

Don't put it in full sun it will definitely burn, put it under a tree with dappled shade/full shade, they love that.
Malestrom
Plumiedelphia, PA
(Zone 7a)

June 17, 2010
12:57 PM

Post #7897234

In my hurry to empty my winter plant room for the return of son #1 from college, I misplaced my Jatrophas.
I just last night found them in my wifes changing room where everything has a plastic coating of hairspray too thick to scrape off.
They were a little emaciated but had leaves and were yelling to b put outside lol!!
I think once established they are quite hardy.
I fully expected to find them dead.
I hadnt watered them in 2 months!
I love this plant!!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Caudiciforms Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Adenium seedpod!! Indigoez 24 Apr 24, 2007 7:17 PM
Great case of mistaken identity GSkinner 16 Nov 22, 2007 2:20 PM
Flowering and Brighamia insignis, Hawaiian Vulcan Palm MartinDK 7 Aug 13, 2007 3:20 PM
Anyone grow Fockeas? Nan 8 Aug 13, 2007 3:30 PM
Brachychiton Nan 5 May 25, 2007 4:22 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America