Cutting Back Tulips

Convoy, OH(Zone 5b)

Most of my tulips stalks and leaves are now turning yellow. Is it okey to cut them back now; have the bulbs stored the engery source for next year yet?

Greeley, CO(Zone 5b)

I would wait until they 1/4 brown.

Convoy, OH(Zone 5b)

Onyxwar - thanks for your response. I will wait a little longer.

Lawrenceville, GA(Zone 7a)

I would wait until the whole thing is brown. Food is still going down to the bulb. What you are trying to avoid is like sitting on the dinner table...have had a wonderful meal and for desert there is Cherry Cheesecake......you start eating and when you are bout half way, they take it away!. That would not be nice, would it???

Convoy, OH(Zone 5b)

Thanks Bleek -- will wait, though the tulip leaves are not very pretty this time of year.

They were nice much longer then they are not....so this is just part of a different beauty you have to deal with unless you handle them as an annual.

Billerica, MA(Zone 6a)

Can the brown part be cut off, leaving the green so they don't look so bad?

You can cut/clip off any part that is brown to make them look "better"

Glade Park, CO(Zone 4a)

Can I did up the bulbs and replant them elsewhere? My bulbs are almost completly brown?

Greeley, CO(Zone 5b)

You can dig them up and store them until fall. Tulips need to be planted them. If you wait too long you may forget where they were and then you have to dig all over to find them, damaging some of the bulbs in the process.

Glade Park, CO(Zone 4a)

onyxwar

Thanks for your reply. Sorry it took so long to read. I got busy with summer. That is what I did so am waiting for Spring:)

Greeley, CO(Zone 5b)

I should have pointed out that you need to know where you put them all. I had a bag that was separated from the rest and just found them last week. I ran out of space on the shelf I kept the others. Anyone know if I can just keep them in the garage and plant in the spring?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images