Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
jazzy1okc
Oklahoma City, OK

June 1, 2010
7:42 AM

Post #7848268

I don't remember seeing hummingbirds when I was growing up in the mountains of Idaho, but one May, while visiting my brother further south in Pocotello, ID, I was amazed at the boldness of one of his hummer customers. My brother had been a little late putting up his feeder and the tiny customer came within a foot of his face for a stare down! When my brother didn't get up and get busy with that feeder immediately, the frustrated hummer came within a foot of my face to lodge his complaint, as though he had decided to address the manager of the establishment about errant waitstaff! Once we had hung the feeder, the irate little hummer customer settled in feeding and said nothing more to either of us for the remainder of my visit.

We have hummers in my OKC garden and do not hang feeders.

However, our garden contains water and many of the plants recommended for hummers, who make good use of both and are great fun to watch as they make their rounds. Our southern hummer customers are rather shy and aloof, though, seeming to prefer the self serve buffet to ordering ala carte. They have never lodged a face-to-face complaint, so I'm assuming they are happy. They've not come close to have a face-to-face visit but seem to think that bejeweling our garden is thanks enough. Which, actually, it is!

So I guess our hummers are wild and wary celebrity types who prefer to have their needs met and not deal with waitstaff or management. As small as they are, hummers seem to know who should get up off their hind ends and hang their feeders and who has, quite rightfully, provided for their every need. Or, perhaps we who run the buffet are simply not worthy of a serious conversation.
LOL

wind

wind
Mount Laurel, NJ
(Zone 7a)

June 1, 2010
6:48 PM

Post #7850173

LOL...a feisty little customer in Pocotello, ID, wasn't he? I'm sure your hummingbirds are quite happy customers, based on your description of your lovely garden. With a water source and many of the plants recommended for hummers, what's to complain about?

Happy Hummingbird Watching!
Diana

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Hummingbird Pollinators Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
thank you! onewish1 14 Jun 17, 2009 1:24 PM
Hummingflies Potagere 4 Jun 17, 2009 1:38 PM
Another Hummer article wind 0 Jun 17, 2009 2:31 AM
Ruby throated hummer near Ceresco, Ne Ricinne 1 Jun 22, 2009 6:15 PM
Hummingbird Hawkmoth K2ne643D76s 1 Jul 21, 2009 7:43 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America