Photo by Melody

Article: Ornamental Grasses: Beautiful and Easy Companions: Help Needed to Rescue Zebra Grass

Communities > Forums > Article: Ornamental Grasses: Beautiful and Easy Companions
bookmark
Forum: Article: Ornamental Grasses: Beautiful and Easy CompanionsReplies: 1, Views: 14
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
J_Erik
Colorado Springs, CO

June 1, 2010
12:05 PM

Post #7849009

I just planted a number of zebra / variegated grasses in my garden in Colorado Springs, CO, and they immediately started to die, which is in direct contradiction to everything I've been told about how most ornamental grasses flourish in relatively arid, high-altitude, poor soil, conditions. Since the soil in my area is atrocious, I hoped this would be a good landscaping solution, but at present it appears doomed to failure.

I've watered once every 3 days, per the plants' instructions to "water frequently until established." Could I be overwatering? The site is in the direct sun and has mediocre soil and drainage.

Any suggestions from this group before I am forced to relegate this latest effort to the compost pile?

E
gardengirl86
Middleboro, MA

June 3, 2013
5:50 AM

Post #9544210

I planted mine in an area that was over-run with wild, low bush blueberries. The soil was deplorable. I put some fresh soil in the hole and hoped for the best. They are doing great. I never water them; I am a delinquent gardener. The only thing I ever do is amend the soil in the hole so that the roots have something to get some nourishment from, then they are on their own. Maybe you need to stop babying them; just saying.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Ornamental Grasses: Beautiful and Easy Companions Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
I've Never Met a Grass I Didn't Like DonShirer 5 Nov 27, 2010 6:40 AM
fountain grass nogottarancho 1 Jun 22, 2009 6:50 PM
I've always hesitated to use grasses Bookerc1 9 May 31, 2010 10:51 PM
grasses madchemische 0 Jun 23, 2009 3:00 AM
Grasses gamekeeper 0 Jun 26, 2009 9:11 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America