what is this thingy in my pond?!

springfield area, MO(Zone 5b)

it's ugly ! I have had 3 or 4 at least that I seen, about a 1 1/2 inches long, grayish, seems to sort of 'float' in the water with its tail end up and its head down. Has legs. swims well, was eating a dead earthworm in the pond the other day. i am worried about adding fish to this!

Thumbnail by FrillyLily
Phoenix, AZ

Ewwwww, I don't know...but I'll be watching this thread to find out!

Lilburn, GA

I see three critters but don't know which one you are talking about.

There is a tadpole, something like a slug, and the little insect like is a pond skater. If he is the one you are talking about, they are lovely little critters and don't do any harm.:o)

good luck!

Virginia Beach, VA

They are tadpoles!!

oh, I guess there are three. No, I know what tadpoles are, got oh, probably a few thousand of those :)
the water skater thing I know is ok.
The long slug thingy there-he is the ugly culprit. It is NOT a slug, it swims, and has legs. Spends some time hanging upside down in the water. I wonder if it is 'something' that will turn into something else? You know sort of a larval stage or?

Lilburn, GA

Could it be a newt?

nah, unless they morph quite a bit, the legs are really small, on the underside of it, and they have more than 4 legs. I don't know how many, will see if I can look at that.

Lilburn, GA

That is exciting!!! Could you take more photos?

I can try but the boogers are fast!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diving_beetle

HERE IT IS!!!

I did a search on 'larvae pond' on google, and whalla!

I did see a large beetle looking thingy a couple weeks ago, I wonder how they 'find' water like that?

Lilburn, GA

WOW! He turns into a handsome little guy!

Thank you for the link.:o)

Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

Frilly...LOL! I have to laugh from this quote from this article. "Adult Dytiscidae, particular of the genus Cybister, are edible. In Mexico, C. explanatus are eaten roasted and salted to accompany tacos.

Bon Appetite! ehhh!

Lilburn, GA

EDIBLE?!?!

Blergh!

Phoenix, AZ

Uh, you can keep em LOL!

Nasty for sure.

Toronto, ON(Zone 6b)

It looks like a leetch (hirudinea medicalis)
Robb

that's what I thought at first too.

Arlington, TX

I like tacos but not with beetles! I cannot tell from that pic what the creature is but I hope its the beetle because the pic is awesome.
C

north coast nsw, Australia

That beetles lava doesn't look like a slug though..like your thing frillylily. Have you ever seen these beetles around your pond before?

yes, I have, I just didn't know they started out like that. Mine does not look like a slug, well kinda, but it has legs and a separate head from it's body. It swims with its head 'down' and it's rear end floating.

Toronto, ON(Zone 6b)

Sorry I didn't know it had legs... not a leech.
Robb

Lilburn, GA

Lilly, is the little guy still living in your pond?

haven't seen it for a few days. Says they burrow into mud to 'change' into the beetle thingy. But since I have a liner, there is no mud. So I don't know what will happen?

I finally seen one again!!

I have 'baby' diving beetles!!

It is about 1/2 an inch long, and I seen it tonight w the flashlight when I went out to catch my frog...

Fullerton, CA(Zone 10a)

It looks like some sort of Dragonfly Larvae to me.
Having 'legs' and all! (six?)

it's a diving beetle

Fullerton, CA(Zone 10a)

o.k.

Fort Bragg, CA

We have these too! I came upon them by mistake in our "bog" before it was a pond while collecting tadpoles. I scooped up a mason jar full of water and tadpoles and caught one. We looked at it for a little while trying to figure out what it was and then . . . it started voraciously munching the tadpoles! Nasty little thing.

Arlington, TX

Some diving beetles have a nasty bite.

Kansasville, WI(Zone 5a)

They also like to eat baby fish.

Arlington, TX

Not to sound mean but that would get rid of some of the extra fry produced. I have never seen this diving beetle and I guess I am thinking of water boatman, wonder if they are similar.

Kansasville, WI(Zone 5a)

Here you go.

http://www.countrysideinfo.co.uk/successn/gdb.htm

I haven't seen anymore of them, maybe they all ate eachother lol
I thought it was cool to watch. They sound nasty!

Kansasville, WI(Zone 5a)

LOL

Fort Bragg, CA

We just had more visibly in the pond last week and now I don't see them anymore. I think they turned into the black beetle stage. I wonder if they're the ones that zoom all around on top of the water. . . . or my ducks found them.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.