Photo by Melody

Water Gardens: What To Plant Around Pond...Suggestions Please =)

Communities > Forums > Water Gardens
bookmark
Forum: Water GardensReplies: 5, Views: 92
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
heathrjoy
Weedville, PA
(Zone 6a)

June 2, 2010
7:01 PM

Post #7853589

Hey Everyone,
I'm new to ponding. It's technically DBF's pond and I don't know too much about it. It is freshwater fed. It drains into the river across the street. Because of that there can only be native plants...and native fish. But, I have the added bonus of not having to deal with algae.

I've been told the pond sometimes goes dry in August if it's real hot. I've been told to "just watch it for a year and see what it does before doing anything." I tihnk that's probably a good idea...so I'll do my bestest to do that...

But I can plant around the pond, right? LOL

Also, I'm a Peony and Petunia loving Cottage Garden style gal. *Sigh* Can't help it. There at least has to be the promise of lots of flowers from a plant or it doesn't interest me much...unless it is highly textured or colorful (think Wintercreeper or Hosta or Coral Bells). The pond is in full, all day sun.

So, what would be good to plant around the pond? Suggestions? There's a LOT of Pussy Willow growing in the pond. Some (maybe) wild Rose growin around it on the banks. I'm not planning on doing any wading anytime soon, so unless it really does go dry the Pussy Willow is on it's own. The Rose may stay or go, depending on what it looks like when it blooms. It may get moved to another area unitl it shows it's "worthiness". LOTS of work to do out there and I can't wait to get started. Have begun collecting things already, but don't know if they are good for this area or not. I'm working at a local gh this yr so I can hopefully fill in this area from work and from trades and generous neighbors.

Oh, one last thing...the pond has also served as a watering hole for a local elk herd and other wildlife. I will be fighting them off with liquid repellents until a fence is in the budget (may be a while, it's a large property). I buy "deer resistant" plants whenever possible, the theory is if deer don't like them the elk won't either.

Thanks so much for any help!!
Heather
blkraven2
Wells, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 3, 2010
10:01 AM

Post #7855144

do you want a tree feature to start with ..river birch would be a good one.. its a beautiful tree and in the winter the shaggy bark is a wonderful texture and looks great..

some pics of the area would help..
lovetropics
Scottsdale, AZ
(Zone 9b)

June 3, 2010
11:50 AM

Post #7855532

whatever you pick--make sure they produce low litter. Otherwise things end up in pond and you have to constantly clean it up. Consider grasses or evergreens--as they droop they like very nice around ponds.
blkraven2
Wells, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 3, 2010
12:21 PM

Post #7855593

it it dries up in the heat of the summer its more like a wetlands area than a pond per say.thats why I suggested the river birch.. if PWs are growing there the birch will do well... My ex had a degree in wetland management so I picked bits and pieces from him...try googleing wetland plants and see what you come up with...many of them have blooms but not bright and big ones.. youll most likely have to design this from a size shape texture and shades of green point of view..
heathrjoy
Weedville, PA
(Zone 6a)

June 10, 2010
11:07 AM

Post #7876030

I've taken some time to think about this and I think you've convinced me to make this more of a wetlands/woodlands type area than trying to make it a regular flower garden. I think it'll just look better and have a better feel and flow...and I'm sure the plants that'll be selected will just do better. Of course I'm going to have to mix in some blooming things, maybe an Hydrangea or something of the sort to fulfill that need for blooms and a bit of color. But, mostly I'm thinking along the lines of evergreens, pines, maybe a couple daylilies on the outer edges, nothing too frilly or girlie tho. Some nice, dark mulch.

As far as cleaning the pond, I don't really need to worry too much about that. The drain is HUGE and will clear most anything out as long as it's not too big. Anything too big to go down the drain can be snagged and pulled out. I don't think it's possible for the drain to get plugged either, it's just too big and has too fast of a flow.
cathy166
Stamford, CT
(Zone 6b)

July 29, 2010
11:41 AM

Post #8004679

There are some lovely wetlands irises that you can grow in containers. However, once they are finished blooming, that is the end. If you are a petunia lover, they are easy and reblooming. I would only put in plants in large containers, large enough for more than one plant where the soil will hold more water in dry times. There are a lot of foliage plants that love the sun, but I not with significant flowering.

You might put in some platycodons (balloon flower) and some echinacea (purple cone flower). They are perennials, remind you of cottage gardening, and once established, remain good, strong friends. They flower for longer periods as well. They seem to be tolerant of just about anything.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Water Gardens Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Lotus/Kitty Litter Mardell 36 Jun 21, 2011 5:29 AM
This is my waterpond before we started the new construction! TraciS 9 Feb 19, 2008 1:35 PM
No Pump Water Garden gardening101usa 4 Mar 12, 2007 5:50 PM
Easy and inexpensive pond... BigDaddy99 85 Aug 8, 2008 11:05 PM
How many ponders are out there ?? List your names - Update! judycooksey 345 Apr 13, 2014 11:22 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America