Photo by Melody

Home Decorating: wallpaper removal, yikes!

Communities > Forums > Home Decorating
bookmark
Forum: Home DecoratingReplies: 17, Views: 134
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
vossner
Richmond, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 3, 2010
9:34 AM

Post #7855061

The wallpaper that I loved, which I thought would last FOREVER, has indeed lasted forever. My love for it is over and I'm dreading this task. Has anybody used Wallwik? There are many testimonials online stating it's the cat's meow. Tell me if you've used it.

http://www.simplestrip.com/
Bubba_MoCity
Missouri City, TX

June 3, 2010
9:41 AM

Post #7855082

Looks like a great product.

Buy a "paper tiger" to score the paper - they really work.
vossner
Richmond, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 3, 2010
9:43 AM

Post #7855089

hiya doing Bubba? it looks like you like doing wallpaper removal. wanna come help me or would you prefer doing it yourself. I'll let ya.

the kit I'm looking at has all I need, including a scorer.
Bubba_MoCity
Missouri City, TX

June 3, 2010
9:57 AM

Post #7855128

Oh, Boy! another project I don't have time for - LOL!

Since water or some liquid is invilved - be sure to remove everything form the room if possible. Also some dropcloth on the floor and some old towels to quickly get any drips up is a good idea.

Will you be hanging new wallpaper or painting?

Hardest thing is NOT the paper removal, but getting all the residual glue off. Owner tried to prime the bare walls at the old farmhouse - semi sucessful, so, we had professional sheetrockers put on a "skim coat". That took care of the glue, nail holes, etc. before we painted. It was quick, and not very expensive. We let the walls dry for a week, after paper removal, priming, and finally skip-coating. Probably overkill, but we had no intention of ever doing it again.

Come join us some Friday evening at the winery.
vossner
Richmond, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 3, 2010
11:43 AM

Post #7855522

Circle S winery, DH & I should do that, yes.

We will paint, but of course, by the time we do that, it will be out of style and wallpaper will be fashionable all over again. Maybe I should forget the whole thing and let my old wallpaper be back in style, lol. Isn't that how things become vintage/antiques???

The kit I have mentioned here, supposed drastically reduces the need for sheetrock overhaul. To me, that's the most appealing benefit.

Anyway, we are not planning on doing this immediately--this is our "when it's 100 degrees outside" project for 2010.
Bubba_MoCity
Missouri City, TX

June 3, 2010
3:11 PM

Post #7856078

You mean this weekend? LOL
shuggins
Houston, TX
(Zone 9b)

June 3, 2010
5:03 PM

Post #7856407

I haven't removed wallpaper, but had a friend who purchased an inexpensive wallpaper steamer from amazon and she said it worked really well. I can get you the model number if it would be helpful. (BTW, I didn't look at the link you provided, so if it includes a steamer, just ignore this).
hamptonmeadow
Lakeville, MN

July 19, 2010
12:44 PM

Post #7981039

I have removed a ton of wallpaper.

Here are a few tricks.

Score with the "tiger" but don't press so hard you score the dry wall. Very important to break the first layer of the paper. Don't worry about the backing at this point.

You don't need fancy wallpaper removers or steamers. Use HOT water and a sponge and soak the wall paper several times over 25 minutes or so. Then lightly scrape of the first layer. If the second comes off too well good. Don't gouge the dry wall.

Works as well as anything else and a lot cheaper. Keep it well soaked and you are home free.

Getting the glue off is a (insert inappropriate to this forum word here) to get off. Clean clean and clean again.

Bubba_MoCity
Missouri City, TX

July 20, 2010
5:53 AM

Post #7982742

LOL - So you had trouble with that (expletive deleted) stuff, too.

Warm to hot water and lots of wiping rags - and clean them often or you just re-apply the goo elsewhere.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

July 20, 2010
6:01 AM

Post #7982765

How's the removal going, Nery? Ready to paint yet?
vossner
Richmond, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 20, 2010
6:44 AM

Post #7982872

lol. The kitchen project was a breeze. paper came down like peeling a banana using SimpleStrip. My bathroom, oh my! that was a nightmare. The paper was glued right to the unprimed drywall so I tore a lot of paper. I agree w/ what Bill and others have said about keeping paper moist, but a big concern for me was that the room became such a wet mess, I was scared of falling on the wet, slippery tile. But all is well now. Paper is gone, wall is primed, now to select paint.

After having a busy wallpaper (and red at that) all paint seems so dull. I want a tranquil look but not so uninteresting that will put me to sleep.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

July 20, 2010
7:12 AM

Post #7982964

If that bathroom is near the kitchen you could paint it white and use all your unused red kitchen tools as adornments on the walls.
Bubba_MoCity
Missouri City, TX

July 20, 2010
7:53 AM

Post #7983084

Now that's funny, pirl. I didn't know you knew Nery that well - LOL
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

July 20, 2010
8:15 AM

Post #7983159

Maybe it will help her red withdrawal in the bathroom. Or maybe she could start collecting red bathroom items - like those bonnets they used to make for toilet paper! My neighbor still has them!
vossner
Richmond, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 20, 2010
9:15 AM

Post #7983324

actually, I had red bathroom items other than towels. But unlike the kitchen, they looked tacky so I got rid of them and have neutrals.

bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

August 11, 2010
5:56 AM

Post #8033050

I just use a spray bottle of hot water and a wide bladed putty/spackle knife...comes off w/ little work

P
heathrjoy
Weedville, PA
(Zone 6a)

October 30, 2010
3:49 PM

Post #8185658

learned this from a professional painter...

spray down the wallpaper with a mix of fabric softner and water and let it sit for a bit (maybe 30 minutes...or long enough to soak in)
Then come back over it with a steamer and steam that paper right off the walls. It will come off in sheets. Don't score that paper!!!!! it makes it harder to remove all those little pieces, plus it damages the drywall/plaster on the wall creating even more work.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

November 26, 2010
9:20 AM

Post #8231237

heathrjoy - we're using your method as I type but, as you can guess, I'm not doing the work part of the job. I'll report back later.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Home Decorating Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Mexican theme, not for the faint of heart MollyMc 57 Jan 4, 2008 3:14 AM
Kitchen Makeover......There's no turning back now!! nminmd 163 Jul 31, 2007 1:21 AM
Removing Wallpaper GrannyLois 30 Aug 18, 2009 11:32 PM
Bedroom re-do Terry 42 Aug 16, 2014 11:12 PM
Re-do on the bedroom. What a difference! Badseed 45 Jan 23, 2009 6:43 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America