Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Mid-South Gardening: Daves Garden Garden party Part 3

Communities > Forums > Mid-South Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Mid-South GardeningReplies: 234, Views: 1,032
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 4, 2010
5:30 AM

Post #7857739

WE came from here. http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1100433/

Garden party my house June 5th basically starts at around 11:00 come when ever you want though.

Everybody bring a door prize.

Who's coming:
Marilyn & Guest
Charlotte and guest
Kim and her friend Sandy
Loretta
Crissy
Me & two guests
Karen
Janie
terrye
Sandra
Nancy Ann & guest
Sheila

When you know for sure your coming, I'll add your name .

Food:

Me: ham & cheese mini sandwhiches, veggie tray , fruit tray, Sweet tea, lemonade, Ihave all the paper products already.
Marilyn, Grape salad
Charlotte: Dessert of some kind
Kim: BBQ hot dogs.
Nancy, banana split cake chips and dip

Everybody's trade list

Kim (duckmother) http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=7764326
Crissy: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=7764138
Marilyn: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=7763700
Kathy_ann: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=7765974
Debra: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=7777593
Charlotte : http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=7806522
Janie: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=7806617
Karen: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=7812900
butterflychaser: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=7819328
Loretta: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=7819447

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 4, 2010
5:54 AM

Post #7857829

Going to load my truck up tonight so I'll be ready to go tomorrrow morning.
duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 4, 2010
6:34 AM

Post #7857943

I have plants, chairs, etc sitting in the garage waiting to be loaded. I will make weenies later today...so they can marinate.

Last chance to pick something from my list...I can pot it tonight...
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 4, 2010
6:36 AM

Post #7857950

I'm going to get everything ready tonight. Wanted to last night but I was not in the mood lol!

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 4, 2010
6:42 AM

Post #7857963

Kim I would like to have one of your extra Red Dragons.
ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

June 4, 2010
6:44 AM

Post #7857968

I'm just waiting on my brother to get home from work with his car. I'll load it tonight if it's not too hot. If it is, I'll just set the plants beside the car until morning. Right now, all your plants are in my guest room. I hope I can fit them in the car! No way am I leaving the dips and pies behind, but someone's plants may have to sacrifice! LOL

Still don't know if my friend is coming with me. Can't get in touch with her. She's a lot like me and I don't know if y'all can handle two of me. :-)

KathyAnn, where's that nursery you said I can't stop at? If I was going to be flying thru in my van, it would instinctively pull in, but I don't have Terry's car trained so well. It has an aversion to dirt, silly ole car!
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 4, 2010
6:45 AM

Post #7857973

I've also got alot of extraspotted up

lions tail

diff colored 4 :00 plants
clerodendrum bungii
cleome
rose of sharron not sure on the color but there's tons ofseedlings out there. I pull them up every day.
different sedums rooted
one mock orange bush
one falopia japonica
gailardia
several other things I forget. will have lots of extras.
this is all potted up in several different pots so I have extras to go on the free table

and I also just made lemon icebox pie and chocolate silk pie, YUM!!

i was in the pie making mode.
duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 4, 2010
6:47 AM

Post #7857981

Gotcha your name on one, Charlotte.
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 4, 2010

Post #7857982

when you get off the first bald knob exit it 's right on the side, you'll see it from the exit. can't miss it.

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 4, 2010

Post #7857986

I forgot to remove debra's trade list, so disregard it. sorry
ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

June 4, 2010
6:50 AM

Post #7858000

Oh, I want some Lion's tail, Kathy if you have extra. I've never grown it. Will it reseed?

Thanks. We'll see if the car will let me turn in there. If she carries unusual stuff, I'd like to see if there's anything I can't live without.

duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 4, 2010
6:51 AM

Post #7858001

Yummmmmmmmy! Lemon Ice Box pie is my favorite summer pie!
ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

June 4, 2010
6:52 AM

Post #7858006

I'm after that choc silk pie. Trade ya some banana split pie for it. LOL
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 4, 2010
6:53 AM

Post #7858008

yes, it reseeds, but it took a couple years for it to reseed for me, and it's all coming back really late this year, their about anywhere from 2 to 5 inches tall out there. I pulled alot of them up cause they all have to be staked, and I was tired of messing with it.

I'll put your name on one.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 4, 2010
6:53 AM

Post #7858009

I also have extra

4 flats of impatiens
1 regular nadina
a couple of rose of sharons (I think mine are white with a purple center - no guarantee)
toad lily
ajuga
canna (red)
3 or 4 red bud seedlings
anemone (white)
some other stuff that I can't remember

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 4, 2010
7:09 AM

Post #7858041

I'll take some of those impatiens.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 4, 2010
7:13 AM

Post #7858050

I think I will make a list of those that want impatiens and after you all get your's then it's open for everyone else. Make sense?
duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 4, 2010
7:14 AM

Post #7858053

I want impatiens, Charlotte.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 4, 2010
7:16 AM

Post #7858057

OK Kim
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 4, 2010
7:51 AM

Post #7858174

yep makes sense to me.

Kim I'm so glad I have those balsams growing in the back flower garden, some of the stalks on those plants are l/2 to 3/4 inch around. they are beautiful looking, not blooming yet tough.
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 4, 2010
8:19 AM

Post #7858228

Nancy did you say your bringing the stuff to make lemonaid? pink or yellow? I have some strawberries set aside that I was goin g to put in to my lemonaid ifyour bringing the stuff to make yellow lemonaid we'll just put them in your lemonaid.

crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 4, 2010
8:31 AM

Post #7858251

LOL KA YUM!!!! Y'all are making me hungry!
ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

June 4, 2010
8:46 AM

Post #7858289

Actually I'm brining pink and yellow lemonades and a raspberry drink. I love the sugar free drinks. Can't tell they're not sugary. No calories either I think.

My banana split will be good for diabetics too. The only sugar will be in the oreo cookie crust which you don't have to eat if you don't want to. The pudding and whipped cream are sugar free, and then there's the natural sugars in all the fruit. So it's fairly healthy for those who have to be careful. It's really great after any spicy foods, like mexican or chinese. Should I bring the recipe?
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 4, 2010
9:12 AM

Post #7858350

you should post the recipe here!

I'm not sure I want to post the lemon ice box pie recipe, it's not very lemony and it's more like custard not sure what happened. ya'll eat of your own free will LOL I made two after they cool i'm going to cut one and see how it is.

mine ha ve sugar in them of course LOL
ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

June 4, 2010
9:33 AM

Post #7858393

NANCY ANN’S BANANA SPLIT PIE

A great, healthy dessert. Especially wonderful after a spicy meal. Not too filling, but very satisfying. No bake, no mess, no fuss. Can be prepared in 20 minutes. Can be adapted for special diets.

CRUST:
2 cups graham cracker crumbs (I prefer the cinnamon or chocolate ones)
1 stick butter or margarine
3 tblsp sugar

Melt butter. Then mix with crumbs and sugar and pat into a 9 x 13 inch pan or dish.

OR
Just buy the premade Oreo Cookie Crust (like I do)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

2 pkgs instant vanilla pudding (or your favorite flavor, sugar free if you prefer)
Milk as required to mix pudding, LESS one cup.
5 bananas – sliced
20 oz can of crushed pineapples – drained
Lots of strawberries - sliced
1 large container of Cool Whip
1 cup chopped pecans
Coconut
Chocolate chips or chocolate sprinkles
Anything else you like on your banana split
Cherries

Prepare pudding as directed on box, LESS one cup of milk. Pour over cool crust and let pudding set. Then layer the remaining ingredients in order over pudding.

Refrigerate for a few hours before serving, if you can wait that long.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 4, 2010
9:40 AM

Post #7858413

Boy does that sound good!!!!
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

June 4, 2010
9:46 AM

Post #7858423

Yum, that sounds good! I have already printed out the recipe!
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 4, 2010
10:00 AM

Post #7858451

good recipe

Ok, does my weed boquet look dorky? LOL I think i'm gonna go dump it

Thumbnail by kathy_ann
Click the image for an enlarged view.

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 4, 2010
10:11 AM

Post #7858482

here's another arrangement with pink & purple.

I'm not too good at this creativity stuff LOL

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 4, 2010
10:29 AM

Post #7858522

Here's some of my hydrangeas.

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

June 4, 2010
11:38 AM

Post #7858664

Your arrangements are very pretty , Kathy Ann. I just love freshly cut flowers and that is part of the reward of growing your own flowers! :o)) What do you have to put in the soil to get those beautiful purple hydrangeas?

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 4, 2010
11:45 AM

Post #7858688

Hope you didn't dump your week bouquet! It's really pretty!
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 4, 2010
12:25 PM

Post #7858790

no I kept it, I don't do anything to the soil but triple l3 in february. the purple one in front is that forever and ever endless summer hydrangea the oneon the left is that peppermint I got from bonnie, the one in the back is lady in red and the other two blue and purple ones came off the same hydrangea, they turn purple as they age. but open blue.

I've just got finished sweeping out the shop and setting up the fans and I set up one table t o put my plants on LOL danny's not home yet with my saw horses, I have the free plant table ready . it's getting close ladies!!

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 4, 2010
12:28 PM

Post #7858805

I just turned the oven on and waiting for it to heat up. Making lemon squares and some beer bread to go with the pimento cheese.
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 4, 2010
12:33 PM

Post #7858834

KA you haven't dumped that weed bouquet yet have you? I love it! I love the other two bouquets also! You're better at that than I am!
kjuddy
(karen) Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 4, 2010
12:59 PM

Post #7858921

Charlotte I'd like to have some impatiens if you have some left over.
gen2026
Camden, AR

June 4, 2010
1:12 PM

Post #7858960

I know ya'll are going to be having lots of fun tomorrow!! Hope everyone has a safe journey there and back! I am ready for someone to plan a fall get together so I can quit pouting ! :-)

Genna

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 4, 2010
1:20 PM

Post #7858984

Karen will put you on the list for impatiens. There is no shortage of impatiens. It's just a matter of how many I can get potted up. I have thousands of impatiens!! I am cramming a handful of plants into each pot. I'm sure you can divide them out so they will grow better.
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 4, 2010
1:34 PM

Post #7859021

Um, I don't think we'll need your tables nancy ann, LOL Danny just set up all these tables for us, the great big one in the center, that still has one piece of plywood missing, is our free plant table.

Is he awesome or what!! still need yours charlotte, for the living room so we can eat at a table

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 4, 2010
1:35 PM

Post #7859024

this one is the free plant table, the length of two 4 x 8 sheets of plywood. I hope we don't disappoint this man and not fill these tables lOL

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 4, 2010
1:47 PM

Post #7859052

Got my free plants loaded on the free table. I'm winding down for the night LOL I have to go to berryhill park in a while and help support the relay for life team!! I've made a couple of nice donations for them to sell tickets on. One of my hand made tote bags and a gift bag full of soaps, lotions lipbalms, and body melts.

I'll see you ladies in the morning! come any time. There is no set time to be here. we'll try to keep the early birds out of the free plants. NOT!!

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 4, 2010
2:00 PM

Post #7859083

I can't remember if I mentioned this before. but we'll need to park our vehichles back behind the shop or on the Other side of the shop where my car will be. Danny and Darren will be working and will be driving in an out of the driveway, so we'll have to kind of keep that side of the driveway cleared for them. If youwant to stop bythe house first and unload your food, door prizes and chairs, then pull around behind the shop to unload the plants, and then you can park out there or on the other side bymy car.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 4, 2010
2:47 PM

Post #7859176

Looks like you're all set!! I've been gathering my stuff up and will wait until 8 or 8:30 to load it up. I bet we will fill those tables Danny fixed!!! I pulled up more impatiens so I now have 5 trays.
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 4, 2010
2:55 PM

Post #7859196

Well, then maybe nancy better bring her tables after all LOL if we don't need them she can leave them in her car, Are you sure your going to have room for those tables in your brothers car Nancy? if you don't have room for them, don't worry about bringing them

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 4, 2010
3:38 PM

Post #7859279

Just kidding Kathy Ann! LOL I bet your tables are enough, if not we can use the floor.
ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

June 4, 2010
4:39 PM

Post #7859397

My tables fold up so they're only about 3 x 3 or so. I can put them in the floorboard of my brother's car and fit all the plants in the trunk. My metal chairs fold up too so they won't take up much room. The plants will fill up the trunk though and I'm sure glad I'm getting rid of them. I'd hate to think I'd have that much to plant...oh wait, I think I'm bringing back just as much! Guess I'll be busy for a while. Gives me an opportunity to work some more on my farmer's tan. LOL
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

June 4, 2010
5:32 PM

Post #7859517

The grape salad is made. I hope it is as good as the original recipe because I have made it with french-vanilla-flavored yogurt instead of sour cream. I cut down on the amount of sugar and vanilla called for in the recipe because of the yogurt. You can blame me if it isn't as good as the original. LOL but personally, I think it tastes pretty good!
I'll be getting my plants together beside the car later --still have one more to dig but the others are all ready to go. I have a few extra coneflowers and Mexican Petunias but I didn't dig up anything else unless somebody requested it. I know I am not bringing as much as Charlotte and some of you others! My cousin did say that she had a few plants that she was bringing with her.
Tomorrow will be here before we know it! We sound like a bunch of kids getting ready to celebrate a friend's birthday! LOL

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 4, 2010
7:18 PM

Post #7859739

I'm pooped!!! Just got through loading my truck and it looks like Marilyn and I went to Forrest Hill again! Boy am I glad to get it out of my work area. I hope I got everything! Going to cut the lemon squares and get them ready to load tomorrow.
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 4, 2010
8:10 PM

Post #7859853

Ijust got back from berry hill park, where I got to be a robot technition for my daughter's boyfriend , he made a 7 foot tall Robot costume and I had to follow hm around and make sure nothing fell off and fix him when he needed fixing LOL it was pretty fun. and that was some costume. I was impressed.

duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 5, 2010
4:33 AM

Post #7860305

LOL Sounds like fun. What was this for? You can tell me when I get to your house.

Everything is ready...well...except me. I have to drink coffee and sit on the deck for awhile and then I will get ready. See you in a few hours.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

June 5, 2010
4:36 AM

Post #7860312

woohoo! Can you believe that Kim was up at 5:30 a.m.! Write that down on your calendar! LOL
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 5, 2010
4:49 AM

Post #7860330

5:30? her post says 6:30 LOL see you guys soon!
duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 5, 2010
5:16 AM

Post #7860367

Yes, somehow a few of us were not changed to DST. Mine shows 5:30, too. I did get up at 5:45 but did not post until 6:30. However, you may want to write down that I actually got up early. I try not to get up at that time except on Mondays when I have to work :o(
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

June 5, 2010
5:20 AM

Post #7860375

LOL--it's still a defining moment in your life, Kim! LOL
ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

June 5, 2010
5:36 AM

Post #7860401

I'm up and ready to go almost. I've got to go see my bloomers and snap their pics. I hate to miss out on anyone's first day to shine.

I've got to dig up some replacement plants. When I was loading the van, I noticed some crispy critters, so I'll dig more to replace them.

Kathy, I'm bringing an ice bucket and a 3-bin hot plate/buffet thing. It has three compartments to put food in and we can plug it in and keep the food warm. I forgot I had it until a few minutes ago. It should work well, don't you think.

Ok, I'm off to dig plants and then I'll be on my way. I hope that nursery will be open. I'm itching to stop and see what I can see.

See y'all soon.
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 5, 2010
6:11 AM

Post #7860470

You can bring it nancy but I don't think we'll need that hot plate.

90Degrees today yikes! goin g to be a hot one.

JanieP
Jacksonville, AR

June 5, 2010
6:36 AM

Post #7860509

Waiting for Karen and Crissy to get here and pick me up!! I am bringing some very complicated to prepare food-as usual- fruit bowl from Sams.

n2birds
Lakeland / Memphis, TN
(Zone 7a)

June 5, 2010
7:04 AM

Post #7860560

Well..I sent Sandra and Terrye on their way this morning. They are packed "to the brim". Guess if I was gonna ride with them, Terrye would have had to strap me on the top. lol :-(
Ya'll have fun and I do expect to see lots of pictues to prove it since I couldn't come.
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 5, 2010
7:27 AM

Post #7860597

Janie, I think we'll have plenty of fruit, I 've got a huge fruit platter prepared LOL Strawberries, kiwis, blueberries, bananas, apples, cantalope, fresh pineapple, grapes and home made strawberry fruit dip!! ;0)

and a veggie tray.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

June 5, 2010
4:37 PM

Post #7861900

Wow, wow, wow! What fun we had today! It was so good to see Terrye and Sandra, especially because I didn't go to Randolph's Nursery in TN in April and they weren't able to go to Jeri's in May. I haven't seen either of them in a while. Also, I met Nancy Ann for the first time, too. It was good to see Sheila (edenawaitsme) again. She hasn't been with us in a while and come to find out--she is a newlywed! Congratulations, Sheila! There were several guests--Kathy Ann's boss and her daughter and grandchild were there. Kim brought a guest, Cindy, and Charlotte's guest was Sarah. My own guest was my cousin, Shelly, who really enjoyed herself. She is even thinking about coming to Terrye's with me in October!
We had a "tour" of Kathy Ann's beautiful gardens. Then we ate lunch and did door prizes. There was more food than we could possibly eat and it was all delicious! I am still stuffed! There were a bunch of plants on the "extras" table for the choosing and we chose plenty, LOL! I can't believe I came home with so many plants! What was I thinking! LOL
Kathy Ann, thank you for having us all in your home and for being such a gracious hostess and for the soaps, too!
I will post a link to my picasa web album as soon as my photos finish uploading--it seems to be taking them a long time today. In the meantime, here is what I came home with.
P.S. Kathy Ann, Friday says "thank you", too, for inviting him. :o))
another P.S. to Janie: thanks for the pots! :o))
and thank you to Nancy Ann for picking up those gloves for me at the Dollar Tree!

Thumbnail by marsue

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

June 5, 2010
5:19 PM

Post #7861999

Here's the link to my photos on the picasa web album page,
whoops, I forgot to add the link--here it is:
http://picasaweb.google.com/marsue777/KASRU?authkey=Gv1sRgCNyB-5De9uyqNA#

and here's Kathy Ann's pot man--ask Terrye how it managed to come home with me! ROFLOL oh and the garden sign IS mine--it was my door prize from Loretta. Thanks, Loretta!

This message was edited Jun 5, 2010 6:20 PM

Thumbnail by marsue

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 5, 2010
5:36 PM

Post #7862032

WEll, looky there! There's my pot man LOL Terrye & I just got finished looking through all your photos, thinking Gosh she has a great camera. Your pics came out alot clearer than mine did.

I had a great time, The whole gathering turned out fantastic. I'm so glad everybody was able to come out and visit. Food was fantastic. And enough to feed an army I might say. WE're still eating here LOL

OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

June 5, 2010
6:34 PM

Post #7862189

I know y'all had a great time today. I was thinking about you all. Hope to meet all of you someday at one of these!

Great haul, Marilyn!

Elaine
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 5, 2010
6:43 PM

Post #7862209

I think I got allmy photos uploaded, here they are hope the link works

http://s99.photobucket.com/albums/l293/kathy_ann43/Daves garden Garden party/?start=0

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 5, 2010
6:45 PM

Post #7862218

Marilyn did a great job summing up the whole day. Not a whole lot to add to that! Thank's Kathy Ann for having us all up. I really enjoyed getting to see your gardens in person!!! So much prettier in person!! She does have one of everything!!!! Sarah and I had to make a side trip to the nursery in Bald Knob on the way home. Didn't buy any plants but she had 2 planters with girl faces all around the sides. It wasn't hard but we talked each other into buying one. I'm going to put it with the head I found in Monroe and she just recently found a lady head planter at Tuesday morning. Don't know about you all but I had so much fun today that I was just pooped when I got home. Will upload my photos to piscasso as soon as I get a chance.
duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 5, 2010
6:59 PM

Post #7862249

Marilyn, the pictures are great! You are close on my friend's name...but it is Sandy ;o)) Nice to see Friday. I hope he had as much fun as we had! Please tell your cousin that Sandy read the old garden book all the way home...and continued after we got here. I don't know who brought the little bicycle with petunias in the basket, but Sandy would not even let me hold it to take a picture, she put it in her car right away. I tried my best to hide it from her. lol

As you all know, Sandy is not a gardener. She could not believe how much we knew about plants! If one of us did not know the name, the next person did. Then when we started throwing out the "real names," she was stunned. She said it was like a whole new language like we saying "medical terms." She really enjoyed meeting all of you and hopes to join us again after she finishes with her Masters Degree in August.

KA, as always, I had a wonderful time. Thanks for the kind hospitality and the goodies. The food was fabulous...and still is ;o) I got home with so much stuff. Thanks also to everyone that brought me plants...and the freebies that I picked up. NA, thanks for the gloves! I cannot wait to paint the gourds. Loretta, Jeff has already gotten out the hole cutter bit and made certain it was wren and or chickadee size ;o) I hope they turn out nice...I am not a very good painter.

Sandra and Terrye, I always so glad to see y'all. I laugh so much when you two are around! The rest of you ladies are such a joy! I am so proud to call y'all my friends! Also nice to see potential new DGers ;o)

Bonnie, I am so sorry that you missed a wonderful get together. We did talk about you...nice talk not bad talk! Thanks for sending Tiger Stripe!

I will post pix tomorrow.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

June 5, 2010
7:27 PM

Post #7862324

Kathy Ann, you did a good job of getting pics of some of us stuffing our faces--or loading up our plates! LOL

Sorry I got your friend's name wrong, Kim. At least I was in the ballpark--Cindy vs. Sandy--sort of sounds alike! LOL I'll go correct the name on my web album. I know Shelly will be glad to know that Sandy liked the book. Maybe she will learn something about gardening from it! :o))
Charlotte is the one who brought the little bicycle planter. I got a kick out of Sandy thinking we were using a whole new language. Did anybody throw out the term "clerodendrum bungeii" for her to hear?-- That would have blown her mind! LOL

Bonnie, we missed you--and everybody else who couldn't make it today! Y'all missed a good time and some good food, too!
ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

June 5, 2010
7:29 PM

Post #7862327

I just got home and got the car unloaded. Y'all won't believe this but Sheila and I pulled into that nursery Kathy warned me about and we met Eva, the owner, a delightful lady who obviously is a true gardener. The nursery is bigger than it appears and has some of the most beautiful plants. Naturally, I managed to fit 3 more in the trunk.

I stopped off at Sheila's and met her new hubby, a charming gentleman. She and KathyAnn brag about their "Dannys" so much that I think I'm gonna get me a Danny too. I sure could use one who builds things, works hard, plays hard...well, I've got an application if anyone wants to apply. LOL

Of course I snagged a few more plants from Sheila and still managed to get the trunk shut. Sheila has so much room to garden--a wonderful private, fenced in yard. And I just know it won't be long before she has every inch covered in plants--a beautiful garden to go with her beautiful home.

I carried my camera around all day and never took a picture. Since I arrived late (after getting lost - what else is new?), I felt like I was running to catch up with you guys all day. I needed more time to visit and more time to tour Kathy's gardens, altho I toured them twice. I'm sure I missed something. You have beautiful gardens, Kathy, with so many exotic plants. I love your sunny garden with the collage of unique beauties. It's rare that I go anywhere and ask repeatedly, "OOOH, what's this? What's that? Who's this one?" But I did just that today, and what fun it is being introduced to a new exotic must-have plant.

It was great meeting those of you I've only met thru the computer. It was great seeing the rest of you again. Kathy, thank you so much for the hospitality and all the soaps. I even found a surprise soap in my door prize, as if there weren't enough prizes in the bag already. I had such a wonderful time today. Thank you for the invitation, Kathy. Thank you all for everything! I have pots galore for the "big move". (I swear, my gypsy plants wouldn't know what to think if I didn't constantly move them about the gardens.) And I'll be busy all summer trying to get all my new plants planted. So thank you, all my enablers!
ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

June 5, 2010
7:36 PM

Post #7862354

I forgot to tell you guys that some of your plants I packed for you were a little crispy. If you got spearmint or showy pink evening primrose from me, what is labeled is dry and crispy. If you'll trim it, the roots should still be good. But I dug new plants today to replace those and I put them in your pile. They're not labeled. They're wrapped in paper towels and a sandwich baggie. Sorry about the crispy critters. I had to do all my digging Mon because I worked all the rest of the week.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

June 5, 2010
7:42 PM

Post #7862373

Y'all are shameless, Charlotte, Sarah, Nancy Ann and Sheila! Imagine stopping by a nursery on the way home! LOL
Charlotte, I meant to tell you that I nearly fell out of my chair laughing when I read that you and Sarah talked each other into buying one of those planters! LOL, again!

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 5, 2010
7:50 PM

Post #7862388

Our wonderful hostess Kathy Ann! I don't have time to load all the pictures but this is a good one I wanted to share.

Thumbnail by cperdue

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 5, 2010
7:51 PM

Post #7862390

What she will do to be taller than everyone else!!

Thumbnail by cperdue

ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

June 5, 2010
7:54 PM

Post #7862395

Kathy, thank you so much for the soap ends and the chance to try out your fragrances. I think my new favorite, besides the Armani, is the Ginger Lime. Oooh, I love that one! The Oakmoss and the Cool Mountain Lake are divine too! How yummy!!
n2birds
Lakeland / Memphis, TN
(Zone 7a)

June 5, 2010
8:07 PM

Post #7862434

Sniff, sniff. Sure wish I could have been there. Looks like you all had a great time !
Oh well, there is always next year. By that time, what little KA don't have, she will forsure have by then. lol.
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 6, 2010
6:19 AM

Post #7863237

YOu guys are fabulous! and what a nasty picture of me standing on the dryer , LOL
edenawaitsme
Augusta, AR
(Zone 8a)

June 6, 2010
6:38 AM

Post #7863271

Kathy, I had a great time at your party! Your gardens are soooo beautiful. Anyone who gets to see them in person is truely blessed. Her gardens are like a botanical garden. I don't know if she plans her gardens or they just come about, but this lady knows how to make a show!!! WOW is all I can say. She said she doesn't miss her greenhouse. I completely understand because she has replaced it with Eden. And her vegetable garden was devine as well. Her lanscape is completly different from the last time I was there. A few years makes a huge difference.

Of course the food, plants, and fellowship were awesome too. I didn't realize how much I missed hanging out with you guys. Love it, and can't wait until we can get toghether again. The door prizes were phenominal. If you look closely you'll see the butterfly chime on the front of the table . I got that :). I also got a very cute beaded plant hanger, and some soap from Kathy. By the way if you haven't tried her soaps, lotions, ect you need to. I have not found any soap that lathers as good as hers does, and they smell so heavenly. Dan, my husband, used his armani aqua disuo last night. Um, he smelled so good! Thanks to everyone that donated plants to the free table. I came home with so many varieties. I planted some of them last night, and will plant more today. I can only hope my gardens look as good as Kathy's some day.

My my Marilyn. Let me explain the nursery, lol. Nancy was following me out so she wouldn't get lost again, and that nursery was on the way home. I knew she wanted to stop, and being such a sweetheart ;) we did just that. I am glad we did. I have always drove by because I heard she was a bit pricey, however she does have some beautiful plants, planters, benches, and statues. . Eva, the owner was a sweet little woman, who like Nancy said definetly knows what she's doing. Her nursery is open seven days a week too. Hum, sounds like I am advertising, lol.

Here's a pic of one of her many beauties. Took it against hand to give you and ideal of how huge this japanese iris is.

Thumbnail by edenawaitsme

edenawaitsme
Augusta, AR
(Zone 8a)

June 6, 2010
6:52 AM

Post #7863301

Door prizes

edenawaitsme
Augusta, AR
(Zone 8a)

June 6, 2010
6:54 AM

Post #7863310

Me giving thumbs up, lol. I was number one! Thank goodness we didn't play Chinese Christmas.

edenawaitsme
Augusta, AR
(Zone 8a)

June 6, 2010
6:56 AM

Post #7863311

Too much food. I was stuffed all day.

edenawaitsme
Augusta, AR
(Zone 8a)

June 6, 2010
6:57 AM

Post #7863313

another food pic

edenawaitsme
Augusta, AR
(Zone 8a)

June 6, 2010
6:58 AM

Post #7863316

Kathy's soaps ,lotions, body butter, and lip balm. Is there anything Kathy can't do? I tried her lotion, and will be getting some. They smell and feel incredible!!

This message was edited Jun 6, 2010 8:01 AM

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 6, 2010
6:59 AM

Post #7863317

I wanted to thank everybody who brought me a gift. That was so sweet of you guys. I love d all of them . Thanks for all the special plants. And bonnie, thank you for the plants you sent to me also. I'm dmailing you now.

I sure wish you could have been there.
We talked about you so you wouldn't feel so left out. we ate food for you also. Ihope that you can come next time around.
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 6, 2010

Post #7863330

I guess the party's over, cause MY DANNY"s back at it LOL Got to love that man. Here he is this morning tilling up around his sweet potatoes

He's the reason I have a beautiful veggie garden.

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

edenawaitsme
Augusta, AR
(Zone 8a)

June 6, 2010

Post #7863331

Good pic of some of the ladies which include Lorette, Sandra, Terrie, Charolette, Sandra, and can't remember the other name. sorry.

edenawaitsme
Augusta, AR
(Zone 8a)

June 6, 2010
7:07 AM

Post #7863334

NancyAnn trying to avoid me but failed.

edenawaitsme
Augusta, AR
(Zone 8a)

June 6, 2010
7:10 AM

Post #7863340

A very cute hypertufa man in Kath's shade garden that Kim made for her. Kim we need to have a 101 on hypertufa soon. I want to learn how to do that too.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 6, 2010
7:11 AM

Post #7863343

The lady between Loretta and me is my friend Sarah.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 6, 2010
7:13 AM

Post #7863345

Well I missed that man!!! Can't imagine why - just not anything to look at! LOL Just couldn't take it all in!!
n2birds
Lakeland / Memphis, TN
(Zone 7a)

June 6, 2010
7:20 AM

Post #7863366

Thats why I said - I'd need to take 2 days to take in her gardens, Charlotte. I wouldn't want to miss a thing !
Thanks so much to all of you showing pictures. It makes me feel like I was "kind of" there. ;-)
ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

June 6, 2010
7:36 AM

Post #7863398

I was up at 2:00 a.m. waiting on the sun. I wanted to get our and visit all my new plants. I planned in my mind where a few would go, wishing that sun would hurry up. About 4 a.m., I gave up and went back to sleep. I have gone outside to check on them and make sure I hadn't dreamed them all. I swear I came home with twice as much as I brought to the party. But I have a general idea where most of it is going to go. The friend who was supposed to come with me is coming here next weekend. And I'll send her home with some more of my "weeds" so I can plant my new treasures.

I had such a great time. Like Sheila, I missed you guys.

Y'all need to share your recipes too. Kathy, I gotta have that silk pie recipe. Wonder if I can make it sugar free? Oh goodness it's good!

And who ran off with those lemon squares? I only got one and when I went back later for another, they were gone! Tsk, tsk! You better share the recipe.

I didn't get around to trying that grape salad either, darn it. My plate just wasn't big enough for all the food we had! I'll have to get some of it at the next shindig.

Kathy, I've scattered your soaps throughout the house to "smell it up nice". The "gardener's soap" is on the kitchen sink where I usually wash up after being in the garden. Thanks so much for all the soaps.

I too love my door prizes. My toadstool birdhouse will be great in my gnome and fairy garden. The hummingbirds will love the new feeder. And I love my gifts from Sheila--a beautiful butterfly windchime for my butterfly garden, an elegant rock with a butterfly on it, and a butterfly rain chime. Wonder what made her think I love butterflies??

Thank you all for a wonderful time! I gotta go play now...

NancyAnn
lorettad
Batesville, AR
(Zone 7a)

June 6, 2010
10:03 AM

Post #7863827

Thank you so much Kathy Ann for having this gathering, it was so wonderful. I agree with everyone that
you place is beautiful. Thanks to everyone for all the plants that I made it home with, oh my, I always come
home with more than I plan to. It was so good seeing everyone. Also, thanks Kathy Ann for the squash which
I cooked today.

Loretta
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 6, 2010
11:54 AM

Post #7864103

I realize we had enough food to feed an army at my house. but I left the antipasta salad in the mancave frig and nobody got to eat any of it, LOL I had veggies and dip for lunch today and will have that all this week LOL

That was lemon bars on the counter, Charlotte made them.

they were delicious.

I'll try to post those two recipes for the lemon icebox pie and the chocolate silk pie, i'dlike to hve the lemon bars recipe also.

I picked about l0 more squash today, have to go pick the green beans this evening. I think the hard part is just beginning now with that veggie garden.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 6, 2010
12:32 PM

Post #7864210

Here is the link to my photos.

http://picasaweb.google.com/charlotte.perdue1/KathyAnnSGardenParty6510#

Boy is it taking picasa a long time to load!!
duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 6, 2010
1:00 PM

Post #7864299

Yes, picasa seems very slow today! My Pix http://picasaweb.google.com/i.am.duckmother/KAsRU#

I wish I would have gone to the nursery...

Who made the coconut pie? I would like the recipe for it, too.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 6, 2010
1:05 PM

Post #7864316

Here's the container I bought at the nursery. It is concrete. It will look better when it gets the newness off it and starts getting mossy.

Thumbnail by cperdue

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 6, 2010
1:09 PM

Post #7864325

Kim you got some really good shots - especially of the gardens.
duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 6, 2010
1:53 PM

Post #7864439

Thanks, Charlotte. She is stunning. Was there anymore? I may have to make a special trip...

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 6, 2010
1:58 PM

Post #7864450

She had some others that she had painted. One was dark green. Don't remember the other colors. But I think she will probably get some more in. She told me she had a hard time keeping them in stock. I would call before you go. I think I have her number, but will have to look for it. So will post later, if I find it.
ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

June 6, 2010
3:04 PM

Post #7864606

Is it that nursery in Bald Knob, the one Kathy told me not to stop at? If so, I got one of her cards. If that's who y'all are talking about, I can give you her number.
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 6, 2010
3:28 PM

Post #7864667

I didn't tell you not to stop there LOL I just said she was high dollar. I chat with her when I do go there, and she's areal nice lady.

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

June 6, 2010
3:42 PM

Post #7864695

I am home and had a nice long nap !! Just trying to milk my vacation out a little longer-LOL
We had a wonderful time on our trip,Terrye did all the driving and I just sat up there like royalty and enjoyed every minute of it.
Bonnie also treated the both of us like royalty at her house and so did Kathy Ann. I sure do hate I am going back to toilet scrubber tomorrow !!!!! It is nice being pampered and I will tell both of you , I sure soaked it up !
Thank you both and Terrye too for a great week-end, thanks to everyone for being my friends and everything you have done for me. It means so much to have all of you in my life.
Love and hugs
Sandra

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 6, 2010
4:00 PM

Post #7864731

Yes Nancy Ann that's the same nursery.
tryliv
Booneville, MS

June 6, 2010
4:03 PM

Post #7864743

I saw that nursery coming in. Wish we had stopped now but I have no idea where I would have put anything else!

Thanks so much for having all of us this weekend, KA. I had a wonderful time. It feels so good to get that buddy fix in. It will do me for a few weeks and then I get to craving another one!
Thanks to everyone else for the food, plants and the door prize. I had just broken my favorite trowel last week and I got another almost just like it. It was meant to be!
Now, to figure out where I am going to put all these plants that just had to come home with me...

Terrye
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

June 6, 2010
4:08 PM

Post #7864756

Awww, Sandra, we love you, too, and I know I can speak for everyone when I say that I am so glad you and Terrye were able to make the trip. I just pray that your back doesn't give you too much trouble because of it.

Charlotte and Kim: great pictures! I never get tired of looking at Kathy Ann's beautiful gardens.

Kim, I want to go with you if you make a trip to that nursery!
Charlotte, I have heard that if you brush buttermilk on terra cotta pots that they will grow moss a lot quicker--maybe it would work on concrete pots too. You could give it a try. Those lemon bars were delicious. I brought 4 of the home with me and had them for supper last night! LOL

Kathy Ann, I steamed the squash today with some onion and put some butter and Jane's Krazy Mixed Up Salt on it and had that for supper a bit ago. Sooooooo good!
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

June 6, 2010
4:10 PM

Post #7864760

Terrye, we crossed. I'm glad you needed the trowel. I meant to tell you that if you are going to hang the sign outside that it will probably last longer if you spray it with clear acrylic spray first. That is what I do with all my gardening signs to keep them from rusting if they are metal or to make them more weather-proof if they are wooden.
tryliv
Booneville, MS

June 6, 2010
4:49 PM

Post #7864851

Thanks, Marilyn. I'll put some sealer on my sign. Love my door prize!

Friday was so sweet yesterday. And so well behaved! I love his summer haircut.

Terrye

crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 6, 2010
4:54 PM

Post #7864866

KA thank you so much for having us all, you are a wonderful hostess!

I'm about to get dressed (lol stayed in my nightie all day!) and go outside and do some watering. I looked through all my goodies and I plan on planting them tomorrow after work and dinner and all. Wanted to do it today but since I slept in until 9:30 (oops!) it was just too hot after that.

Thanks for posting the pics! Very very nice y'all!

Marilyn's right, we are all soooooo glad you got to make it Terrye and Sandra!

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 6, 2010
5:01 PM

Post #7864886

I've been shopping at that nursery for 12 or 13 years. She was one of the first around the area to have the large pots with metal stands and her prices on those back then was also very good. I have 4 or 5 really big pots I bought from her years ago. My bird bath came from her also. I have a few places inside I always keep some type real green plant and every so often they need to be replaced. I've gotten some unique ones from her over the years. Back years ago she would bargain with you sometimes but not anymore!
ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

June 6, 2010
5:35 PM

Post #7865001

The number for the nursery is 724-3134. The owner's name is Eva. What a charming lady! We sure enjoyed browsing thru her nursery. I got a few sedums. I couldn't remember if I had them or not and I NEEDED them so they came home with me.

Are y'all doing anything in Memphis anytime soon? Perhaps we could meet up in Memphis for the botanical garden's fall sale? Isn't it in Sept or something?
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 6, 2010
6:01 PM

Post #7865086

She is a realnice lady NAncy, I"ve chatted with her everytime I go there. I don't go there that often,

Marilyn I forgot to get your butter to you . But we'll use it LOL

Sandra, I'm glad you got to get away, I really enjoyed having you and Terrye here too.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 6, 2010
6:05 PM

Post #7865099

It was really nice to get to see Sandra and Terrye again!! They always brighten things up!
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 6, 2010
6:12 PM

Post #7865118

Marilyn, you have to tell me what kind of camera you have, I am tired of my camera making my purple irises blue in the photos LOL
tryliv
Booneville, MS

June 6, 2010
6:15 PM

Post #7865126

KA, my thermopsis seed pod made a nice addition to my kitchen table arrangement.

Terrye

Thumbnail by tryliv

tryliv
Booneville, MS

June 6, 2010
6:16 PM

Post #7865131

Can you see it?

Thumbnail by tryliv

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 6, 2010
6:20 PM

Post #7865144

Well, looky there! that's neat looking, Now all you need is a poppy seed pod ;0)
tryliv
Booneville, MS

June 6, 2010
6:25 PM

Post #7865166

That would look good in there. Wonder where I could find one...

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

June 6, 2010
6:42 PM

Post #7865210

We are glad we got to come too--I have adopted a new attitude after being with Terrye all week end
"I am fine" "I am doing just fine" !!! The trip really did not seem to hurt me--I learned that I can't do a lot of bending-so I just didn't bend over to look at tags-LOL
I am in the process of editing my pictures, I had over 100--I started at Gardens Oyvery, then Bonnies, then Kathy Ann's--not people pictures--mostly flower pictures

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

June 6, 2010
7:09 PM

Post #7865302

Ok, they finally got all done---

http://picasaweb.google.com/slcdm12/20100606JuneTripToBonnniesAndKathyAnnS#
n2birds
Lakeland / Memphis, TN
(Zone 7a)

June 7, 2010
6:28 AM

Post #7866185

Very nice job on the pictures Sandra. I see my little critters made the "cut". :-)
I just love that Hot Papaya of KA's. Now I wish I had gotten that at the nursery the other day.
Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

June 7, 2010
6:45 AM

Post #7866226

Sandra your pictures are wonderful. Almost made me feel like I was there.

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

June 7, 2010
8:08 AM

Post #7866478

I am glad you all liked them--I really enjoyed making them, they will be there through the cold dark winter to enjoy too !!!
Everything was so pretty--everywhere we went that I really had beautiful things to take pictures of.
You know Milla and Minnie had to get in the pictures, I just hate I did not get a picture of Milla with her red ball
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

June 7, 2010
8:56 AM

Post #7866649

I'm going to try this one more time--my internet connection is acting up today so I hope this one will go through.
Sandra, your photos of Gardens Oyvey, Bonnie's, and Kathy Ann's are just wonderful! They made me want to go back to KA's and look at everything a little closer! That new attitude of yours is a good thing: just tell yourself everyday: "I am healed! in Jesus' name!" It works, believe me!

Kathy Ann, my digital camera is old (4 or 5 years). There are cameras on the market today that are much better than mine. They have more megapixels (up to 12, I believe) plus they are now less expensive than what I paid for mine. Cindy can most likely recommend a good one for you if you are planning to buy a new one.

Terrye; that is a lovely arrangement and I like the pitcher that the flowers are in, too. I love a fresh bouquet of flowers form the garden. I have two in my kitchen right now.

Here's a pic of my door prize (which Loretta brought). I sprayed it with sealer before I put it on the fence.

Thumbnail by marsue

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

June 7, 2010
9:00 AM

Post #7866662

Here is a photo of the ferns which Charlotte gave me. I put them in the new shade bed behind my shed. That decorative stake is what Jeri gave all of us at her RU.

Thumbnail by marsue

ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

June 7, 2010
9:11 AM

Post #7866693

Kathy, I have a Kodak ZD710 that takes wonderful pictures. It's easy to use too and under $200. I got mine on Ebay. You can also get the rechargeable batteries made just for this camera instead of using the AAs. The battery made for this camera isn't very expensive and lasts about twice as long as the AAs and then you can recharge it many times. I think I've recharged mine about 40 times already.

One of the keys to taking good pictures is don't take them in direct sunlight. Block the sun, by standing between it and the flower, and then snap your picture. If it's sunny, I also turn my flash off. Cloudy days are great for outdoor photos. Around sunup and sundown are good times for pictures too. Direct sunlight tends to change the color you get.

I take many pictures of the same flower, from all different angles, and then delete the worst photos. I love side shots of the flowers, particularly the eyed ones. Here's a shot of Celebration of Angels with a frontal and side shot all in one.

Thumbnail by ButterflyChaser

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

June 7, 2010
9:26 AM

Post #7866735

That's a beautiful photo, Nancy Ann! You are correct in saying that it is best not to take photos in full sun--the sun will wash out the colors.
ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

June 7, 2010
9:48 AM

Post #7866803

Thanks, Marilyn. A friend in CA gave me the same tips I'm passing out. And my photography improved greatly once I started following her advice. With digital cameras, you don't have to worry about wasting film. And you can see immediately if you get a good shot. If not, you can take more before the bloom is gone.

Sandra I love your tour of your travels this weekend. Bonnie's gardens are just amazing! I need to see them in person some time.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 7, 2010
9:53 AM

Post #7866816

I really enjoyed the new pictures of Bonnie's place. She has some really pretty stuff. Also enjoyed your pictures of Kathy Ann's.

I've been feed plants all morning now I've got to get dressed and go make some money to keep buying that feed. I've got another exciting thing I'm watching. My Doosie brug is beginning to unfurl! I bought it last year but it never bloomed. I babied that thing all winter - even managed to keep the leaves on it. Now it is finally going to bloom! It is a big double is why I'm am so excited.
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 7, 2010
11:43 AM

Post #7867239

Sandra those pics are awesome! Thanks for sharing them, now I'm going to 'steal' them LOL!!

My camera, even though I didn't bring it, is a new Kodak Z519, new model this year and it takes wonderful pics, plus the adjusting color and shadows and what-not in Picasa helps even more.

Thumbnail by crissyr

Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

June 7, 2010
12:57 PM

Post #7867410

Nancy Ann was right on in her advice about taking photos. Chrissy too.

This is a dmail I sent Charlotte yesterday. She got a new camera this year.

Aren't you using Picasa for your photos? Your photos are really good. I wanted to show you a few little tricks that will make your daylilies pop. You know to take them in the shade but that is no always possible. Use a large piece of cardboard or your body to shade them if you can. Use the macro setting if you can to blur the background. Or you can back up from them and zoom in making the background blur. Crop them close but still eye pleasing. In Picasa open your photo then click the tuning tab and slide the shadow bar just a little. You will know when to stop. This will add color back to faded photos and will make the eyes, veins or patterns show up better. Then open the effects tab and click on sharpen. Sliding the sharpen will enhance the texture on the flower that the camera usually does not pick up. Anyway these are just some tricks to play around with to help you capture what the blooms really look like. I did a little to this photo so you could see what I am talking about. If you like the soft effect instead you can chose one of the other options under effects. Have fun. You are really getting good. Cindy

Poster board makes a good shader and a place to write down names if you need too. When you see your pictures improve it becomes almost an obsession to get that great picture. Taking multiple shots of the same thing increases the odds that you picture will be not just an ordinary picture.

This picture is one of Charlottes that I copy off here at a low resolution and made some adjustment in Picasa. This is just a small example of what you can do in Picasa.

Thumbnail by Riverland

ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

June 7, 2010
1:47 PM

Post #7867525

I hear everyone talking about Picasa. My camera takes the pictures like you see them here. I don't have to edit them. I crop them in my Walgreens account to fit their photo printing equipment, but that's it. This is the best digital camera I've had. The color is so true. Occasionally a purple looks blue, but for the most part, what I see is what I get.

My camera has some additional features that I don't even know how to use. There's an edit function on it where you can crop the pictures on the little LCD screen and rotate them or whatever. There are different settings for different types of light, a panoramic option, a setting for moving objects, and even a video camera so you could do a video garden tour or a video diary of your gardens. It will do more stuff but I never mess with it. I just want pretty pictures. Like this one of Mexican Magic blooming today.

Thumbnail by ButterflyChaser

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

June 7, 2010
2:26 PM

Post #7867648

Beautiful, Nancy Ann! and Cindy, what you did to Charlotte's picture did make a difference. That is why I like Picasa--it is so easy to use the different features.
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 7, 2010
2:58 PM

Post #7867750

Nancy Ann, here's after a few adjustments in Picasa:

Thumbnail by crissyr

ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

June 7, 2010
3:21 PM

Post #7867825

Crissy, your adjustments change the daylily. It's not that bright. It is paler, like my picture. I only enhance my photos if they don't look like the actual plant. While your photo is brighter, it's not accurate to the plant.
duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 7, 2010
3:28 PM

Post #7867849

Nice pix everyone! I think I need to make a nursery run in the next few weeks...I probably need to pay a little of this master card bill first ;o))
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 7, 2010
4:02 PM

Post #7867914

Good grief, ya'll are gonna make me want to get back into daylilies again LOL

Someone else told me not to take pics in direct sunlight too. that it made alot of difference.
Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

June 7, 2010
4:06 PM

Post #7867921

Nancy Ann that's why I said use those edits lightly because you can change what they look like. Not all digitals take as good of pictures as yours does. I also have that camera and several others. Each have their strengths and weaknesses. I believe in editing the photo to bring out the best of what a plant should look like in the shot. Most shooting conditions are not ideal. I have some daylilies that will not open fully till they are heated by the bright sun but it's color is faded by the end of the day. What each of us want ours to look like is a personal preference. Some people like very vibrant sharp pictures and others like soft gossimer type photos. That is why it is an art. I have 4 different cameras including the one you use and a professional camera with professional lenses. That doesn't make me a good photographer. Practice makes you a better photographer and paying attention to what is in your frame(as in a water hose something like that's distracting from your flower.). When my picture is not so great I use enhancements. The sad thing is my knowledge in this dept is very lacking. So each to their own how they like to "fix" their pictures. I do not claim to be a photographer I just love to shoot pictures. Thank You Marilyn. I hear compliments about your pictures all the time. It is not your camera it is how you frame your shots. Sandra's pictures are the same way. She looks at something and frames the shot. It is more than just pushing the buttons. I certainly believe in helping each other find ways to take better pictures. I am always open to suggestions and knowledge.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 7, 2010
4:25 PM

Post #7867971

If you will look closely at my photo Cindy edited, the difference is very subtle. The colors are not different she just sharpened the lines and you can see the detail in the flower better. I had been editing in picnik and mainly just cropping and autofix. With pictures of people that I have not been able to take in ideal conditions I have been able to adjust the contrast to take out the dark shadows and allow you to see the people.
Cindy has had a lot of experience and practice in taking pictures and editing. Like she said it takes a lot of practice and trial and error. I really appreciated her taking the time to explain some ways that I could improve my photos. Saved me a lot of time and having to go through the learning experience.
ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

June 7, 2010
5:32 PM

Post #7868161

I have a lot of experience with editing photos as well. I have used MGI PhotoSuite for years. It's an old program but I've tried Picasa and others and keep going back to MGI. I have an eye for accurate color and I'm very careful not to alter the color of my plants. Since I sell them when they multiply enough, I'm careful to keep my plants looking like they do in my garden. In your photo, the eye appears pinker than it does in my garden, at least on my computer. In my garden it's a little more purplish than hot pink. It has a dull purple-pink tone, not a bright hot-pink tone. It may be a subtle difference to you, but to me it's a big difference, especially since I see it in person.

I edit pictures as needed, but I don't want to alter the color or the brightness if they're not that bright in person. I've bought many daylilies that appeared brighter on the computer, but duller in person. I don't want to do that to my customers.

I do enhance other photos like houses, animals and long views of my gardens to get them clearer and brighter. But my camera does a really great job so editing is not something I have to do often when I use it. For the most part, the pictures I post accurately portray the plants in my gardens.

My camera saves me a lot of photo editing time. It does have an issue with some purples, making them appear redder or bluer. I have one iris that is an odd purple color and they always come out blue. But that's about the only issue it has. With a good camera, you won't have to edit every photo, only a select few. I take 100-150 photos a day. Editing each one would be a real pain. This Kodak saves me tons of time. The Canon I used to have was not so good and almost every photo had to be edited. So I rarely posted photos; I wouldn't have time to edit them all until winter. A good camera is just as important as a good eye for color and setting.

ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

June 7, 2010
5:55 PM

Post #7868230

Anyway, my point in recommending my camera to Kathy is that it photographs color pretty accurately, eliminates a lot of the editing process, and is pretty simple to use with special features. I've used several different digitals and this Kodak ZD710 is by far the best for the price. I know you don't have a lot of spare time, Kathy, so being able to eliminate much of the editing process would be a benefit. Of course you can edit as you have the need and the time. But most photos I take with this camera are print-ready. Y'all saw my photo album at the garden party. Did the photos look like they needed editing?

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

June 7, 2010
5:56 PM

Post #7868236

I edit all of mine and re-size them to save space on both my pc and the storage. I take a lot too, but not as many as last year, I am trying to only get the shots of new ones or ones I missed, I have most of the ones I have my journal now so I just take a select few, my backyard was oh so pretty this morning, all kinds out there blooming now.
I did not get to see this one bloom last year as I divided it in the spring, and it sulked !

Ra Hansen

Thumbnail by slcdms

duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 7, 2010
6:46 PM

Post #7868356

Sheila, which two EEs did you bring to me? I know one was Jeoquinii Lineatum, but cannot remember the other...Sagittifolium maybe?

ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

June 7, 2010
6:47 PM

Post #7868359

Sandra, do you send yours to an online photo processing center? If I adjust the size of my photos, then when I send them to Walgreens, I have to crop again to fit their printers. Too many times they cut half my flowers off or the heads of my people. So I don't crop anymore except at the Walgreens photo center so I can get all of the flower/person in the photo.
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 7, 2010
7:14 PM

Post #7868448

I like that Ra hansen it's PURDY!! ;0)
duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 7, 2010
7:20 PM

Post #7868471

Mine must really be behind. I have only had one spider and one rebloomer bloom so far.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 7, 2010
7:57 PM

Post #7868576

Are your's in part shade?
Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

June 7, 2010

Post #7868595

Ra Hansen is a beauty.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

June 7, 2010
8:22 PM

Post #7868629

Kathy Ann, I got RA Hansen from you in Sept. 2008 when we were all at your place digging up your daylilies! You don't remember having it?
Here is a picture of my RA Hansen taken a few days ago. It doesn't look as bright as Sandra's. I have not edited this photo at all.

Thumbnail by marsue

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 7, 2010
8:26 PM

Post #7868641

I figured you did, I remember having that one.
duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 8, 2010
5:19 AM

Post #7869093

Of course, they are in part shade...that is all I have. LOL I was not thinking. After the day I had yesterday (at work), I am not surprised that I could not think!

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

June 8, 2010
6:40 AM

Post #7869340

My Ra Hansen is in full sun, that was the FFO--but sometimes the later blooms will look better, it is surely a beautiful daylily.
Nancy Ann, I hardly ever print any pictures any more--I have so many huge containers of pictures to store now. I either put them on thumb drives or cd's to keep. I have Picasso storage and photo bucket also. I lost my urge to scrapbook and just don't print any anymore. I edit everything, mostly just to reduce the size, I don't change colors on things, unless I do it with the auto correct, I also have the need to crop out--junk--there is always junk around here trying to get in my pictures !!!
Speaking of pictures, today looks like a big bloomer day looking out the kitchen window, I guess I better get out there and make sure I don't miss anything !
ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

June 8, 2010
7:46 AM

Post #7869486

Sandra and anyone else who's interested, just so you know, if you change the size of the photo before printing it, you may have to change them again to fit a commercial printer, like Walmart or Walgreens. Their software crops randomly unless you go in and select how it's cropped. If you do closeups that are finely cropped, their software may actually crop out part of the flower. That's why I don't crop mine or adjust the size until I'm on their site using their software. Then I crop out any junk to get the photo print-worthy. That's particularly important when taking pictures of people that you plan to print. Their software might cut the heads off if you pre-crop just the way you want it.

I made a "catalog" of all my daylilies, so when customers come to the house and one isn't in bloom, I can drag out the catalog and show them what it looks like. I don't let strangers in house to see them on the computer. I don't print all my photos, just the best ones.
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 8, 2010
8:13 AM

Post #7869550

Well Nancy, the photos in your picture album you brought to KA's are gorgeous. I just discovered the adjustments you can do in Picasa so I'm playing around with it, and finding that if I just add a little shadows it brings out the picture of the flower so much more. I did go a little crazy on that photo you posted, I can't even find the thread now LOL! I didn't know you sold them, that's awesome, I wouldn't adjust anything either if that were the case. I also won't adjust the pic at all if I'm doing a photo contest.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 8, 2010
8:33 AM

Post #7869608

I'm like Sandra I don't print many pictures out. Any that I do have printed out are usually of people and I order on line. However I've never had any trouble with anything being cropped out. It usually asks me if I want the digital size prints. It's slightly different than the regular 4 x 6 and I said yes and when I get them back they have always been find. I don't usually order from WalMart or Walgreen. I usually use Shutterfly or one of those.
ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

June 8, 2010
8:47 AM

Post #7869642

If you do a lot of closeups, Crissy, just keep an eye on them. You saw that many of mine are closeups and I have to adjust the cropping for online printing. It may have something to do with camera settings too. I recently changed to a 3:2 ratio so less of the photo is cropped out, but still, I want every little sliver of my flower in the photo. I love ordering from Walgreens. They send me 10 cent coupons all the time and I can order today and pick up tomorrow.

Gosh, I have some beauties blooming today! And it's a bit cloudy too, perfect for picture taking. My daylilies are finally big enough now to produce bouquets of blooms. I've been outside for an hour and a half just taking pictures. I see a few to cull out and a few more that I just love.

I really need some perennials to go with my daylilies. Thank you again to all of you who have donated plants to my gardens. I didn't come home with a single daylily, which is good. That's about all I have in bloom right now. I need something else to bloom along with the daylilies. The perennials y'all gave me will sure spice up my gardens. And all the elephant ears I left with, OMG, in another month, it's going to be paradise around here, thanks to you all!

Just came in for another battery for the camera. Gonna go snap some more pictures and then start ripping out chameleon plant so I can plant a hibiscus (Sultry Kiss) in its place.

Y'all take some more pictures and let me see what you plant with your daylilies. I love Kathy's hodge-podge English style garden where everything is all mixed up together. For years, I've been careful to keep everything separate and not let anything run into the other. But I'm thinking I need to relax a bit after seeing Kathy's place Sat. What an inspiration!
Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

June 8, 2010
8:51 AM

Post #7869651

I have never ordered prints anywhere since until this weekend I had an excellent photo printer. It died this weekend after 6 years of heavy use.. I ordered my ink online at a discount house. My prints would cost me about a dime each. I have heard people say they have had problems with Walmart.

Want to see a picture that looks altered but not. Primal Scream. This is exactly how it looks in the garden. It struggles for me though and have never had any increase.

Thumbnail by Riverland

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

June 8, 2010
9:01 AM

Post #7869674

I have been out with the camera too--I made 80 named daylily pictures, no telling how many I have lost the tags on are blooming today. I have to do a little housework now, but I am going to upload the whole bunch to Picasso when I get time today. I still don't think I am at peak bloom, there are still loads of them that have not started opening yet.
The bee balms are blooming, the cone flowers are blooming, verbena everywhere,I am still waiting on the butterfly bushes to start, I have a couple of buds.
All that and it is still no where near all the blooms Kathy Ann had at her wonderful party, I am so glad I was able to come !!1

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 8, 2010
9:06 AM

Post #7869682

Cindy I have a good photo printer but don't use it a lot because the ink is so expensive. Would you dmail me the name of the discount house you use. I have a friend that has a daughter that does professional photography and she had gone to Home Depot and had a large poster size print made of one of her daughters pictures that she was framing. She said the big poster size is 24.95. I saw it and it looked fantastic.
ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

June 8, 2010
9:08 AM

Post #7869687

Isn't it funny that she was afraid there'd be nothing blooming when we arrived? It looked like everything was blooming! Awesome!

Riverland, if you sign up for Walgreens emails, they run 10 cent specials all the time. I used to mail order from York, but since we have a Walgreens now, it's cheaper to do their 10 cent sales and go pick them up. Sometimes they even do 5 cent sales. Printing them out myself would be rather time consuming and for the same price, I can just let Walgreens do it. Gives me more time to garden.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

June 8, 2010
9:48 AM

Post #7869780

I rarely have any of my photos printed out anymore. I just upload all of them to Picasa and if I want to see them, I can see them a lot better on my computer in a larger size.
The only time I have had photos printed in the last couple of years is if I wanted to frame them and hang them on my wall. I use Walgreen's for my photo printing. You can easily upload your photos to their website and they will be ready, in most cases, in an hour's time.

Cindy, that Primal Scream is awesome!
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 8, 2010
10:02 AM

Post #7869795

Marilyn, If you don't mind, I'd still like to know what kind of camera you have, even if youthink it's old. It takes fabulous close ups I don't need anything with extra zoom on it. and I"ll be buying one off ebay as well. I wrote down nancy ann's too. I just want something that takes a nicer pic and better close ups than mine does. it's a junker
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

June 8, 2010
10:26 AM

Post #7869872

Sure, Kathy Ann. I thought I put that info in one of my posts "up there" but here it is again: Minolta Dimage Z1. It has 3.2 megapixels.

Speaking of close-ups, does anyone know what this is--weed or . . .? I put my finger beside this bloom so you can get an idea of the size of this tiny bloom. (excuse the dirt under my fingernail--I had been pulling weeds when I came across this little plant.)

Thumbnail by marsue

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

June 8, 2010
10:32 AM

Post #7869894

Here is another view of the two plants.

Thumbnail by marsue

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 8, 2010
10:39 AM

Post #7869919

thanks marilyn, pull that up, it's NASTY but sure is pretty when it blooms

http://www.plant-pictures.net/picsinfull/polygonum_affine.jpg may not be the exact one here, but it's bistort
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 8, 2010
10:40 AM

Post #7869923

I pull about 25 of them daily in the flower gardens, once it drops seed, it's very hard to clear it out. but it's beautiful when mass planted. for a weed that is LOL
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 8, 2010
10:40 AM

Post #7869928

here's a link too

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.plant-pictures.net/picsinfull/polygonum_affine.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.plant-pictures.net/2398-persicaria-affine-picture.aspx&usg=__pVbBe2o_TkUYTdQ5_zhW7uih3A4=&h=600&w=600&sz=422&hl=en&start=1&um=1&itbs=1&tbnid=P1GdqQ_a4G5MTM:&tbnh=135&tbnw=135&prev=/images?q=bistort+plant&um=1&hl=en&sa=N&rlz=1G1GGLQ_ENUS370&tbs=isch:1

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

June 8, 2010
11:01 AM

Post #7869991

We saw that all in the ditches last time we came to your house, Kathy Ann, I don't think it was blooming yet this time. We did see a pretty heron though !

I got a free 8x10 from Wal-Greens a while back, they do run lots of photo specials
ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

June 8, 2010
11:08 AM

Post #7870006

Marilyn, we call it smartweed. It's related to the Red Dragon I got at the party Sat. It can be pretty, but also very invasive. It's invading my future wedding garden now. Sometime this week, I'll wrestle with it.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

June 8, 2010
11:27 AM

Post #7870044

Well, drat! Wouldn't you know it would be an invasive weed--sort of like the Indian Heliotrope, which I also like but had to pull up! It has such pretty flowers on it. Okay, I will pull it up this afternoon. Thanks for the ID Kathy Ann.
I worked for about two hours in the flower beds this morning. Also had to hook up the sprinkler--things are really dry here. :o(( I managed to get some of my RU plants in the ground. Slowly, but surely, I am getting them planted.
Kathy Ann, the Bombast poppy you gave me has a bloom on it. I took this after I had started the sprinkler which is why it is wet looking.

Thumbnail by marsue

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 8, 2010
12:30 PM

Post #7870190

WE probably ought to quit calling those things bombast poppies, although I bought the seed off ebay as bombast poppy seed, it' s so way past obvious that the ebay seller RIPPED me off. LOL those are just single poppies, with no name , their the default poppy that comes out of all seed, but not as many as I got. they sure are pretty, yours looks more white than purple. I did get a solid white one, I should have marked it. but didn't.
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 8, 2010
1:12 PM

Post #7870287

This is what bombast poppies are suppose to look like

I'll have some next year ;0) and others. http://www.seedsandmore-store.com/catalog.php/seedsandmore/pd9479

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

June 8, 2010
1:19 PM

Post #7870297

Where did you get the first seeds? Are they going to replace them?
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 8, 2010
1:21 PM

Post #7870304

I got the first seeds off ebay I have no idea who I got them from either, so no, it's alost cause as far as im concerned, not even sure I wouldn't buy from them again, cause it's been a couple years since I bought them,

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

June 8, 2010
1:25 PM

Post #7870311

I thought if you had gotten them from Annies, they would have replaced them.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

June 8, 2010
1:55 PM

Post #7870384

Well, the Bombast poppy is really beautiful but I like the one that you gave me, too, even if it is a no id. It is mostly white with just that touch of purple.
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 8, 2010
2:52 PM

Post #7870535

OOOOO I like both of them. Do a section of a bed in both poppies, kind of blended in together but not a mass amount, just 'some.'
kjuddy
(karen) Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 9, 2010
1:42 AM

Post #7871641

Kathy Ann just wanted to say thanks for the great get-together I really enjoyed touring your gardens and seeing tons of plants up close that I now of course WANT!! My DH would strangle you if he had any idea all the plants you have made me lust after:) J/K you know how hard it is for those non-plant people to understand the need to have it all! Your stuff was gorgeous and informative and I had a great time.

Just for the record I counted and I brought home 59 pots with me! ARGHHHH wasn't I the one saying I didn't need even one more plant? I already had about 30 pots on my deck to plant not including the 30 out there I am taking to my daughter in NWA this weekend when I'm doing a bed along the front of her house. Clearly we aren't using THIS deck for anything except plants. I did manage to get the majority of them in the ground on Sunday. I think I have about 12 or so left to plant. Yesterday I made up a bag of things to share with three friends out of the leftovers I had so that made me feel a little less like a greedy hound.

Here's a link to my pictures from Saturday - I know how many shots do you need but for what they are worth here they are...
http://picasaweb.google.com/judkasu/JunePlantSwap#
tryliv
Booneville, MS

June 9, 2010
5:09 AM

Post #7871809

Great pics, Karen. I loved the running commentary!

Terrye
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 9, 2010
5:19 AM

Post #7871827

i'm glad you had a great time Karen, your pics were great.

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

June 9, 2010
5:22 AM

Post #7871832

I am also glad you made some of the front--I didn't get any of the front or her side yard, so yes, all of you who did not get to go---we still did not cover all the plants !!! I don't think anyone made any at the end of the house, where the new shade bed is, Kathy Ann will have to go out there and make some pictures.
duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 9, 2010
5:40 AM

Post #7871858

Great pix, Karen. I think you did very well to only get home with 50 pots. And even better that you were able to plant most of them the next day! I still have plants patiently awaiting their new bed. I hope to have all of them planted by this Sunday :o)

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 9, 2010
5:43 AM

Post #7871862

Karen you're on the ball getting all those plants in the ground already! I've been working on my a few at a time. I have most in the ground and hopefully will finish by this weekend.
kjuddy
(karen) Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 9, 2010
6:19 AM

Post #7871951

Oh I did pool planting on Sunday - a little planting then a hop in the pool to cool off then a little more planting then a hop in the pool. I have noticed that I get a lot more done in the summer when we have a pool:) makes it easy to cool off and be ready to go at it again and since I don't go inside I don't get sidetracked with nasty stuff like cleaning or cooking:)
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 9, 2010
7:25 AM

Post #7872110

Great pics Karen! You are on the ball, I haven't even started planting yet. Finding it's difficult when I get up at 6am to go to work, don't get home from work until 6pm, eat dinner, then outside watering the veggie garden and weeding by 7pm, and by the time that's done an hour later planting is not first on my agenda.
ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

June 9, 2010
7:59 AM

Post #7872238

I haven't planted anything I carried home yet, but yesterday I took out a small pond and ripped out tons of chameleon plant. The area will be the home to a new hibiscus, Sultry Kiss, and perhaps some elephant ears and some love-themed daylilies like Hug Me Big and Big Kiss and Be My Valentine. This spot is right next to the gate entrance to the Wedding Garden.

I have a Rice Paper plant to put in the shade under the cedar tree in the wedding garden. Maybe I'll get that planted today. I don't want to lose it. I want it to fill the area like Kathy's do.
duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 10, 2010
5:24 AM

Post #7875138

I thought we were getting recipes of the RU food...
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 10, 2010
5:28 AM

Post #7875148

LOL I thought you were too lol

I hve to go to work today, will try in the next day or so. hope i'm off tomorrow, if I finished the caps today I'll have time tomorrow to do this.

chocolate silk and lemon icebox pie,
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 10, 2010
5:38 AM

Post #7875177

In the mean time here's a few shots yard.
someone asked for some shots of the new bed?
New flower bed.

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 10, 2010
5:38 AM

Post #7875179

another view

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 10, 2010
5:39 AM

Post #7875183

the part sun bed in the side yard, its in bloom this morning

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 10, 2010
5:41 AM

Post #7875188

Did you all get to see the Tricyrtis 'Lemon Twist'

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 10, 2010
5:42 AM

Post #7875189

my new bollywood azaleas they were there at the party too, their so tiny, but their growing.

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 10, 2010
5:42 AM

Post #7875190

large shot of the new bed if those hydrangeas ever grow up out there, it will be FULL

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 10, 2010

Post #7875191

my malabar spinach has grown

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 10, 2010

Post #7875192

ok, I know you've seen enough already LOL

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 10, 2010
5:44 AM

Post #7875194

But just look at this blue blizzard morning glory taking over

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 10, 2010
5:45 AM

Post #7875196

I got this mountain laural in a trade recently, it was that big when she shipped it. It's hard to get these things to grow well here in Arkansas. but it's not dead yet LOL> they have beautifulflowers when they are in bloom, i've always wanted one.

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 10, 2010
6:05 AM

Post #7875245

Love that lemon twist. I missed it at the party. Just too much to take it all in. I think I was focusing on something else in that bed.
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 10, 2010
6:09 AM

Post #7875251

LOL I saw someone take a picture of you bending and looking at a tag in that bed, must have been the variegated ligularia, it's an eye opener LOL I traded some of that lemon twist last year and it just doesn't spread like the others do, but that bed gets a little sun too, maybe that's why.

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

June 10, 2010
9:36 AM

Post #7875803

I had one of my plant hangers (beaded, that some of you got) break in the storm last night. The wire broke off at the top, 3 of the 4 broke, but the pot was still hanging--lopsided--by the one wire, this morning when I got up--you might want to think about putting more wire around the top when you hang yours. It has been hanging there over a month--I will probably reinforce any more I make now that this has happened.
n2birds
Lakeland / Memphis, TN
(Zone 7a)

June 10, 2010
10:39 AM

Post #7875953

Thanks for telling me Sandra. I've been working on mine recently, drilling the holes in a pot that went with mine. Was gonna weigh it all once it was done, but maybe I need to back-off on the 20# limit huh ? lol

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

June 10, 2010
10:42 AM

Post #7875960

Probably--unless you have some wire you can reinforce the top with. It was storming pretty bad here last night--I could not believe that pot was hanging with only one wire, I am sure it would have snapped soon.
n2birds
Lakeland / Memphis, TN
(Zone 7a)

June 10, 2010
12:10 PM

Post #7876201

Is yours outside ?

By the way - I have on my pretty necklace today. :-)

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

June 10, 2010
12:36 PM

Post #7876275

Oh I know it looks pretty on you--yes, this one has been hanging outside over a month now--I think it would not have broken, without the wind

It was this one that broke, it was purdy too

Thumbnail by slcdms

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 10, 2010
1:50 PM

Post #7876491

I have mine hanging outside and haven't had a chance to put a pot on it yet. I've had to work all week, and have to work tomorrow too boo hoo. no playing for me.
duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 10, 2010
4:04 PM

Post #7876877

Sandra, they are all beautiful! I am very impressed with your talent! I cannot wait to get my very own ;o))

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 10, 2010
4:57 PM

Post #7876987

They are pretty Sandra!

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

June 10, 2010
7:03 PM

Post #7877282

What talent--LOL--I just like to play with the beads. I am going to try to find some stronger wire before I make yours Kim, but I will get it done soon !! the way the forecast sounds, I will be inside most of this week end--heat indexes in the 100's so they say

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 10, 2010
7:12 PM

Post #7877307

We had a real downpour late this afternoon!!! Cooled things off some and want need to water again for a few days.
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 11, 2010
9:21 AM

Post #7878567

We had a downpour while I was driving home yesterday, all red on the radar, then two more in the middle of the night. I'll need to check on my pansies and what-not, I'm sure the compost in the front bed has all washed into the lawn. It was nice getting that rain though, it hadn't rained at all at my house in 2 weeks.

Thumbnail by crissyr

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 11, 2010
5:19 PM

Post #7879891

French Chocolate silk pie

2 l/2 cups crushed cream filled chocolate wafer cookies
6 tbsp butter melted
l l/4 cups heavy whipping cream, divided
l0 (1-oz) squares, it calls for bittersweet but I used semi sweet
2 cups mini marshmallows
I also added l/2 cup sugar to the chocolate and marshmallow mix, cause the first time I made it , it wasn't sweet at all.

I also bought a chocolate pie crust

preheat oven to 350
(this is for baking the pie crust, I'm not goin g to repeat this unless you want me to, most folks will buy a pie crust for it anywys. but you can figure out how to make the crust and bake it for 8 min let cook completely .

In a med sauce pan, combine l/4 cup cream and chocolate and marshmallows and sugar. cook over med heat till all is melted. let cool for 20 min

beat remaining cream at high speed with a mixter till peaks form. fold into chocolate mixture and pour into the piecrust and refrigerate till it sets.

Lemon icebox pie

store bought shortbread cookie crumb piec rust

2 cans sweetened condensed milk
2 large eggs
2 egg yolks
l tsp lemon zest
l/2 cup fresh lemon juice
l/4 cup sour cream

preheat oven to 350
combine condensed milk, eggs and yolks. whisking until smooth. whisk in lemon zest and juice till smooth.

whisk in sour cream, pour into crust, bake 25 to 30 min or until set. cool.

who made the orange fruit fluffy dip? and the spinach dip, i'd like that recipe.

Nancy should post her banana split pie recipe

ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

June 11, 2010
5:34 PM

Post #7879937

Kathy, thanks for the recipes! You know I love the silk pie.

Who's got that lemon bar recipe?? Don't hold out on us! :-)

I posted my banana split pie up above somewhere, before the party.

The spinach dip was store bought, Sheila and I noticed. Wasn't it delicious?
ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

June 11, 2010
5:35 PM

Post #7879942

My recipe is in post 7858393 above, but I'll repost it here with your recipes:

NANCY ANN’S BANANA SPLIT PIE

A great, healthy dessert. Especially wonderful after a spicy meal. Not too filling, but very satisfying. No bake, no mess, no fuss. Can be prepared in 20 minutes. Can be adapted for special diets.

CRUST:
2 cups graham cracker crumbs (I prefer the cinnamon or chocolate ones)
1 stick butter or margarine
3 tblsp sugar

Melt butter. Then mix with crumbs and sugar and pat into a 9 x 13 inch pan or dish.

OR
Just buy the premade Oreo Cookie Crust (like I do)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

2 pkgs instant vanilla pudding (or your favorite flavor, sugar free if you prefer)
Milk as required to mix pudding, LESS one cup.
5 bananas – sliced
20 oz can of crushed pineapples – drained
Lots of strawberries - sliced
1 large container of Cool Whip
1 cup chopped pecans
Coconut
Chocolate chips or chocolate sprinkles
Anything else you like on your banana split
Cherries

Prepare pudding as directed on box, LESS one cup of milk. Pour over cool crust and let pudding set. Then layer the remaining ingredients in order over pudding.

Refrigerate for a few hours before serving, if you can wait that long.
Ret_Sgt_Yates
Sparta , TN
(Zone 7a)

June 11, 2010
5:39 PM

Post #7879956

Here's two of my Family's top fav's :

Quick Coconut Pies
Ingredients:
• 2 cups milk
• 3/4 cup sugar
• 1/2 cup biscuit mix (Bisquick, etc)
• 4 eggs
• 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter
• 1 teaspoon vanilla
• 1 1/2 cups flaked coconut
Preparation:
Combine milk, sugar, biscuit mix, eggs, butter and vanilla in blender. Cover and blend on low speed for 3 minutes. Pour into 2 greased 9-inch pie pan. Let stand 5 minutes; then sprinkle with coconut. Bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes. Serve this coconut pie warm or cooled. Store in refrigerator.

Easy Fruit Cobbler

1 cup flour (self rising)
1 cup sugar
1 cup milk
1 large can (or 2 small cans) of any kind of fruit
Can also use frozen fruit

1/2 stick of butter

=====

Preheat oven to 350 degrees and put butter in a 9 x 13 pan and let it melt. In a large bowl, add flour sugar and milk. season with cinnamon and vanilla if you wish. Whisk together. Pour over melted butter but do NOT stir!! Add the fruit, and again do not stir. Bake for 30-40 min until golden brown. This makes its own crust.

You can use canned friend apples, canned peaches, fresh or frozen blackberries, or strawberries, or just any kind of fruit.

One more tip I always do to mine. When it is done and golden brown, sprinkle a little sugar on top and put it under the broiler to caramelize the sugar. BUT, you have to watch it carefully..it will literally burn in a second and be black on top. Just leave it in a minute or so under the broiler and don’t leave it!
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 11, 2010
5:40 PM

Post #7879961

my spinach dip was store bought but someone brought some home made spinach dip, that's the recipe I want. LOL

Charlotte, bring that lemon bar recipe over here LOL

I love her pimento cheese too.

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

June 11, 2010
6:08 PM

Post #7880021

We had pimento and cheese, I missed that--I love pimento and cheese !!!
ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

June 11, 2010
6:21 PM

Post #7880054

Oh, I didn't get the homemade kind. Sheila and I were discussing how good the store bought kind was. There was so much food there that I think I missed a lot! I didn't get any grape salad either. What else did I miss? I'll make up for it at the next party. LOL

Sarge, you'll have to bring those to the next party. That fruit cobbler really sounds good!

NancyAnn

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 11, 2010
7:03 PM

Post #7880192

The lemon bars was a Krusteaz mix. I used to make it from scratch until I discovered Krusteaz and we actually like them better than from scratch. They make lemon and key lime. I buy the mix all the time.

The pimento cheese was Mrs. Weavers with some crisp crumbled bacon and slivered almonds added to it.
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 11, 2010
7:08 PM

Post #7880205

wish I had some pimento cheese right now!

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

June 11, 2010
7:58 PM

Post #7880339

me too--
Ret_Sgt_Yates
Sparta , TN
(Zone 7a)

June 11, 2010
8:05 PM

Post #7880356

Spicy pimento cheese and taters with lil onion and ham bake in a dish set oven to 350 bout 1 hour mmmmm lay your ears back and good eaten ... LOL
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 11, 2010

Post #7880365

LOL
Ret_Sgt_Yates
Sparta , TN
(Zone 7a)

June 11, 2010
8:12 PM

Post #7880382

Not to refind is it ? but it is good eaten ! lil salt & pepper LOL ans a fork and your in Business
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 11, 2010
8:14 PM

Post #7880386

you put all that in one dish and bake it? sounds interesting. does the pimento cheese melt?

I have not been in the cooking mood, and I really need to get in gear. Poor hubby is getting skinny LOL
Ret_Sgt_Yates
Sparta , TN
(Zone 7a)

June 11, 2010
8:21 PM

Post #7880416

yep. yep. and yep you can pre slice the taters about 1/4 sliceslike big tater chips and pre boil a lil to speed things up a bit .layer in bakeing dish add onions choped or slices just a few... add spicy or reg pimento cheese salt and pepper a lil ham in sm chuncks and pop in oven at 350 until 1 hr or cheese melts and taters are done i belive it was no more than 1 1/2 hour cause i did the pre boil.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

June 12, 2010
1:25 PM

Post #7882216

Stop! Y'ALL ARE MAKING ME HUNGRY!
Ret_Sgt_Yates
Sparta , TN
(Zone 7a)

June 12, 2010
1:27 PM

Post #7882219

I did say i was from the Country didnt I ?

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 12, 2010
3:29 PM

Post #7882594

Last one. This is a Morning Glory I started from seed this year. I have several in a pot together and will have to look it up to be sure the right name so will skip the name for now.

Thumbnail by cperdue

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 12, 2010
3:32 PM

Post #7882602

LOL did you mean to put that on the June thread? that is beautiful , I love the colors

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 12, 2010
3:34 PM

Post #7882605

Yep! I sure did! Missed didn't I?
Ret_Sgt_Yates
Sparta , TN
(Zone 7a)

June 12, 2010
4:00 PM

Post #7882655

she was trying to change toe food net work thing lol thats ok i'll cook the flowers they look good on a plate honey its ok . he he he ...the military tought us to make food look good too.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

June 16, 2010
4:37 PM

Post #7894771

this is a photo of a sea holly "blucap" which I got at KA's RU. Can any of y'all tell me who brought it? There was no name on the tag of the person who brought it.

I FINALLY got all my RU plants in the ground except for a d/l which is in a gallon bucket. there is no tag with it and I don't know what kind of d/l it is so I don't want to plant it until I know what kind it is--especially after Sandra told us to keep those Kwanso d/l's away from other d'l's.

Thumbnail by marsue

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 16, 2010
5:41 PM

Post #7894966

you silly, I gave you that. LOL it sure is looking good!
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

June 16, 2010
8:03 PM

Post #7895471

Well, next time, put your name on it! LOL I brought home so many plants that I couldn't remember who gave me what unless their name was on the tag.
By the way, is it shade or sun? I have it in partial sun--late afternoon sun, morning shade.
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 16, 2010
8:10 PM

Post #7895495

it's full sun.

it might do well, but they do tend to do better in full sun with little water. if you move it, dig a chunk of dirt, big chunk cause i'm sure you saw that huge tap root. ;0)
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

June 16, 2010
8:16 PM

Post #7895515

LOL

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Mid-South Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Mid-South Gardening forum! Terry 72 Jun 19, 2008 8:48 PM
Why Do Folks Love Living in the South? FlowrLady 174 Jan 21, 2008 1:12 AM
Look at my daffodils! chicochi3 37 Nov 6, 2007 4:00 PM
New to this forum corgimom 40 Jul 22, 2010 11:22 AM
Help!! My Hibiscus is ?????????? elamap 2 May 3, 2007 4:59 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America