Photo by Melody

Dahlias: Help.....what is ailing my Dahlia?

Communities > Forums > Dahlias
bookmark
Forum: DahliasReplies: 7, Views: 125
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

morganc

morganc
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 4, 2010
7:02 AM

Post #7858027

Does anyone know what this is? I thought maybe spider mites, but not that. You can't rub this off. And leaves are starting to die.

Help please.

Thumbnail by morganc
Click the image for an enlarged view.

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

June 4, 2010
2:55 PM

Post #7859195

No idea at all but have you had hot temperatures lately? (Just guessing!)

morganc

morganc
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 4, 2010
7:24 PM

Post #7859753

Actually, yes and no. A few days of heat, but unusual cool weather this time of year for us. Cool=75 to 85 degrees. Hot=90 to 95 degrees. Only had a few days of hot temps. I thought our weather was better for them overall.
queequeg_1
Pinellas Park, FL
(Zone 10a)

June 8, 2010
3:43 PM

Post #7870662

I think maybe pirl was maybe thinking of scorch. If you water while it's super hot and/or sun is super strong it can cook them and get black or crispy tips. But, not usually black spots-usually the tender buds, blooms or new leaves edges will turn black.
Is it possibly Black Spot? I know roses get it, do dahlias? Usually, when I start getting funky growth or weird marks on leaves, I will dig down and make sure rot isn't starting or there isn't a jerky little bug eating the tubers or stalks.

I did this with one recently. Not sure what happened but the tuber wasn't rotted-the stalk just got pulled away from the tuber and was not healthy. Just cut it, sprayed where the stalk had been with Lysol and replanted. Sometimes it's just better to chuck the old unhealthy one and start with new growth, while it's still fairly early in the season? Of course, I say that, but it could just be an unhealthy/diseased tuber. Do you know the origin of the tuber-did you have it last year, purchase it, get it from friend, etc.?

morganc

morganc
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 8, 2010
5:17 PM

Post #7870879

Someone else said it might be a fungus...so we bought some organic fungus fighter stuff. Will let you know how it does.

Thanks all!!
Kamikid
Thomasville, GA
(Zone 8a)

June 17, 2010
9:21 AM

Post #7896772

What do you use for a spray for bug or spiders? Can I use Bayer on them early in the morning before the heat? Thanks Elaine
queequeg_1
Pinellas Park, FL
(Zone 10a)

June 17, 2010
9:27 AM

Post #7896785

I use Bayer 3-in-1, like you said, early a.m. Works well.

morganc

morganc
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 18, 2010
6:54 AM

Post #7898995

Our organic fungus spray worked...doing better now.

I love your aspirin idea...gives a whole new meaning to ..."take 2 aspirin and call me in the morning."

Hahahahahahaha.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Dahlias Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Dahliettas, gallery dahlias, jackpot dahlias Lenjo 12 Mar 7, 2013 6:27 PM
Dahlias and black walnut hart 17 May 16, 2008 10:37 PM
Will the real Edinburgh please stand up? mvespa 19 Apr 17, 2007 8:44 AM
NO H20 - Candy says "Hi!" Please say Hi back Poochella 11 Oct 12, 2009 12:13 AM
Do ya really really have to dig them? WayehMalamutes 18 Apr 14, 2008 6:30 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America