Reading Nutrition Facts on a package

New Orleans, LA(Zone 9a)

I recently purchased some Zatarain's Red Beans & Rice. Since I'm watching my calories & fat content, I read the nutrition label in the store & it said, 1 cup prepared, Servings per container about 4, Calories: 190, Total Fat: 0g. This falls within what I like to eat so I purchase it.

I get home & start to prepare it. It calls for 2 tablespoons of butter, margarine or olive oil. 2 tablespoons of butter is 204 calories & 23 grams of fat. So I'm guessing that 1 cup prepared is actually 241 calories and and 5.75 grams of fat.

What I don't understand is how a company can do this. I thought the Nutrition Facts were supposed to show either the calories unprepared or the calories prepared. Even if the label follows guidelines, it is very misleading to the average consumer. But then, probably all brands of various rice dishes do the same thing.
Jo-Ann

Lafayette, NJ(Zone 6a)

Jo-Ann, that is odd. Most food that you have to prepare has the nutritional info of what is in the package and after it is prepared - with as you said the butter. I checked on their website and all they list is the info regarding what is in the package. For your info - I have ignored many of the recipes when it says to add butter. And I think it tastes just fine. You might want to try a different brand to see if it lists both before and after.

New Orleans, LA(Zone 9a)

I'm pretty new at reading nutrition labels. I guess when I saw "1 cup prepared" I assumed that this meant prepared following the directions. I'll just have to be more careful in reading labels.

I do try to omit as much fats as possible. With this package, I only added 1 tablespoon of butter. Next time, it'll be none at all.

Thanks for the info. I'll just have to be more aware of the labeling.

Lafayette, NJ(Zone 6a)

You might want to contact the company - prepared should have the information after you add the butter. Very odd.

New Orleans, LA(Zone 9a)

elsie, Great minds must think alike!! I did send the company an email about this right before I posted here. Since it was Friday evening, I probably won't hear from them until Monday at the earliest.
Jo-Ann

Lafayette, NJ(Zone 6a)

Jo-Ann, let us know what they say.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images