freshwater clams in the pond?

Highland, MD(Zone 7a)

ok so I was at the nursery the other day and they had fresh water clams (don't know if they were a native species or not) for sale. I know they act as filters and I was wondering if anyone has added them to their pond?

springfield area, MO(Zone 5b)

never heard of this. you might try googling "clams and goldfish pond" or something like that.

Tucson, AZ

yeah, they do the trick! this pic was taken through 18" of water. however, this is not a pond. just a muck bucket with a water lily.

Thumbnail by tucsonplumeriaz
Fredericton N B, Canada(Zone 4a)

I had fresh water clams in my pond one year.That's when the raccoons discovered my pond.Now they wait for the goldfish to grow to a good meal size and devour them. I would never put them in the pond again.

Tucson, AZ

clams or goldfish?

Fredericton N B, Canada(Zone 4a)

Clam.

what are the clams supposed to do for the pond? I have put in snails, but not clams.

Tucson, AZ

they filter the water....

hmmm.... this is a new one on me. Do they get stuck in your pumps?

Tucson, AZ

i don't know. i don't use a pump in my lily buckets. i guess the microscopic babies can float into them. however, they seem happy in the kitty litter bottom. i think they would prefer to be in some type of medium.

Virginia Beach, VA

I bought 5 good size clams one year just for curiousity but did not multiply and died during winter. Bellie

Tucson, AZ

mine overwintered here in arizona. i could imagine that VA would be tougher.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.