Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Cannas: why wont my cannas grow????

Communities > Forums > Cannas
bookmark
Forum: CannasReplies: 4, Views: 137
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
lljjz
Turner, OR

June 5, 2010
12:14 PM

Post #7861280

Hi guys, I am at my wits end! I finally after years, got my first canna's and planted them in the garden 2 months ago and not one has broke ground! I am in zone 8 but I thought they should be up by now! should I dig them out and plant something else or wait a little longer!:(
Marie
smurf428
cullman, AL
(Zone 7b)

June 5, 2010
1:15 PM

Post #7861475

Well in zone 6b for me there all coming up, some are even close to a foot and a half maybe even 2 feet.. Are yours in full sun? Do they get enough water?? I find that my cannas do better if i water them everyday.. I planted mine in the middle of april and pretty much all have started.. Were the roots healthy when you planted them??
jen
Abutilon
Coal Center, PA
(Zone 6a)

June 10, 2010
4:58 AM

Post #7875085

Carefully dig one up to see if the rhizome is firm and white and any sprouts coming.
Check the others, also (carefully) .. if you wish.
If looking viable, replant and give all a watering with a not too strong solution of liquid fertilizer. Continue to keep them watered to not dry out and they should be up shortly.
If the rhizomes are dried/rotted though, they most likely they will not grow unless some still have some viable sprouts attached.
lljjz
Turner, OR

June 10, 2010
9:28 AM

Post #7875776

great advise!!! I will do just that with crossed fingers! I really really wanted to grow some as I have never had any before!!!!
Thanks,
Marie
skellogg
Sundance, WY
(Zone 3b)

June 22, 2010
6:28 AM

Post #7909750

Hi Marie, I planted cannas this year for the first time also. How are yours doing now? Update us please!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Cannas Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Canna You Help? scooterbug 5 Sep 2, 2008 5:48 PM
Tropicanna Canna is sick Kell 49 May 2, 2012 9:10 PM
Resources thread - your feedback, please Terry 9 Jun 1, 2013 10:58 AM
the way i do my canna seeds phicks 14 May 22, 2007 11:09 PM
The ugly cannas bwilliams 60 Nov 5, 2007 8:04 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America