Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Rocky Mountain Gardening: Where Are The Mt. Folks LOL

Communities > Forums > Rocky Mountain Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Rocky Mountain GardeningReplies: 10, Views: 139
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Ret_Sgt_Yates
Sparta , TN
(Zone 7a)

June 5, 2010
4:53 PM

Post #7861934

I will talk to any one I am not Bashful .

Thumbnail by Ret_Sgt_Yates
Click the image for an enlarged view.

snakeadelic
Hamilton, MT

June 30, 2010
4:45 PM

Post #7933834

This p'ticler mtn folk is 2 miles tops from the feet of the stunning Bitterroot Mountains, smack in the middle of the Bitterroot Valley and about 3200 feet above sea level in southwestern Montana. The pic below is Blodgett Canyon, which is pretty close to due west of me. I shot it from my balcony on 5-1-10.

Thumbnail by snakeadelic
Click the image for an enlarged view.

HappyJackMom
Happy Jack, AZ
(Zone 5a)

June 30, 2010
7:26 PM

Post #7934294

Gotta one up you Snake, we're at 7,000' and the Grand Canyon is Northwest of us, 102 miles. But I can bet, you have a lot more snow fall than we have here. lol

BTW Sgt_Yates, that's our last name too. ^_^
snakeadelic
Hamilton, MT

July 7, 2010
8:17 AM

Post #7949548

HJM, we actually get almost no snow of note. The Bitterroot Valley is referred to as "the banana belt of Montana"; we have less rough weather of all kinds other than heat than any other place in the state. Hamilton in particular gets it easy; it'll snow all over Darby (10-ish miles south) and Stevensville (15-ish miles north) and we get a skiffle if anything. Only twice, I think, in my 6 years in MT have I seen more than 6 inches of snow down at a time.

And I'm descended from some Yateses myself; Capt. John Yates of Seattle (Cpt of the last wind-powered commercial shipping boat to sail!) and his wife Virginia were charter members of the Queen City Yacht Club and my maternal grandmother's parents. When Virginia, also known as my beloved great-grandmother "Tutu", passed in 1996, she was cremated and scattered off the QCYC's longest pier. My one maternal uncle used Yates instead of his father's Jones, and sadly Air Force Staff Sergeant Jeffrey Yates was killed in the line of duty, around early summer 1983 if I recall right, parachuting from his Search & Rescue plane into a typhoon to try to recover survivors, bodies, and parts from a bad crash in the south Pacific. He was thought to have hit a piece of wreckage and died on impact, as he was never heard from again after he jumped. I didn't know him well, but I've always considered him a hero for just being willing to jump out of a perfectly good airplane in a freakin' TYPHOON to try to save people no one was sure were even still alive.
HappyJackMom
Happy Jack, AZ
(Zone 5a)

July 8, 2010
3:56 AM

Post #7951762

Wow, that takes guts, he sure was a hero.
dahlianut
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

July 12, 2010
11:31 AM

Post #7962832

snakeadelic that is heroism for sure!

I regret to advise that I am not a Yates but I am a direct descendant of the rocket scientist branch of the nut fam. I am a relative flat lander compared to most mountainous folks being at 3500 feet. Living a tad northerly makes for interesting yingyang weather; either flippin freezin or chinooking in the w*i*n*t*e*r but summers are very luvly.

snakeadelic
Hamilton, MT

July 15, 2010
6:34 AM

Post #7970007

dahlianut, I got the rocket scientist for a while by marriage; one of my stepfathers was a JPL scientist of some note. Unfortunately, since his claim to fame was being the guy who put the wrong punctuation (either a semicolon or a colon, needed one and used the other) in the coding that sent the Mars radar probe millions of miles off course decades ago when they first tried radar mapping, he didn't like to talk about rocket science. And since he liked bright kids even less than kids in general, it really honked him off when I was 11 and browsing his Scientific American magazine collection routinely. And that particular moment of scientific "Whoops!"-ery has crossed my life more than once--after remote course correction, the readings were printed out as alphanumeric data on those roller sheets dot-matrix printers used. I know this because I've had the breathtaking honor of not only seeing part of a complete copy but getting to very carefully hold that very old paper in my hand. I've met the artist who used those radar readings to create what turned out to be 90% accurate bronze globes of Mars, one for the Smithsonian and one for the lobby at JPL.

Never did know my uncle, but I do agree that jumping out of a perfectly good airplane into gale-force winds on the *hope* of finding survivors or even identifiable remains makes a hero pretty quickly.
dahlianut
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

July 15, 2010
6:44 AM

Post #7970038

COOL about your rocket scientiest fam history snakeadelic! Even coooler that you got to hold the sheets.
HappyJackMom
Happy Jack, AZ
(Zone 5a)

July 15, 2010
9:59 AM

Post #7970469

That IS fascinating!

Yates was DH step-father's surname, and it was given to him when his mother married Yates. But, being a family genealogist for more years than I care to reveal, I have also researched some of the Yates lines from MN, WI, NY & etc. I dearly loved DH's step-grandfather, he was the sweetest old man!
snakeadelic
Hamilton, MT

July 16, 2010
8:33 PM

Post #7974404

dahlianut, the radar readings are mentioned in the "awesome things you've touched" thread I started over in General Discussion :D

I'm not sure where exactly my Yateses were from although we did get a booklet from a distantly related genealogist indicating they were mostly of Germanic descent. I know I came by being a "Jones girl" of the second generation by way of my maternal grandfather, who came from Wyoming oilfield-worker stock originally hailing from Wales. Captain Yates was his wife's father. I don't actually know anything definite about my paternal descent; I have a name & face but there is a second possibility whose physical description is WAY closer to mine (short, dark, stocky) than the first (tall, thin, blonde). I'd never take a chance on disparaging my mom or her memory, which is the only reason I never took the fella whose name I have up on his offer to pay for half of a DNA test, and I don't actually know if he's even still with us because we were never close. The second possibility is a very common name combo, and someone I never met, so digging at my mom for identifying details would probably just end badly.
HappyJackMom
Happy Jack, AZ
(Zone 5a)

July 18, 2010
7:12 AM

Post #7977529

Ah, that's too bad, since genealogy is so much fun. Most of the Yates' I've come across are of English or Irish descent. The step-father had red hair and was short in stature (as was the step-grandfather).

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Rocky Mountain Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Anybody growing vegetables in the Rockies? pajaritomt 166 Jun 25, 2007 3:26 PM
Invasive for the rest of the country still invasive here? MQN 33 May 28, 2007 6:36 AM
Milkweed - Asclepias seeds? hello85 3 Aug 14, 2007 10:15 PM
Greenhouse GMan13 126 Mar 5, 2007 10:48 PM
This might brighten you up......(continued) ginger749 162 Jan 3, 2012 12:18 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America