Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Peppers: What causes pepper plants to drop their leaves?

Communities > Forums > Peppers
bookmark
Forum: PeppersReplies: 20, Views: 232
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 5, 2010
8:39 PM

Post #7862506

I started a bunch of peppers this year and I've noticed that some of them have dropped their leaves.
The Habarenos and Serranos seem to be the first to do this, the leaves grow back. I just got an email from somebody I shipped peppers to and one of the plants (Cal Golden) drop its leaves in 2 days. It had leaves when it left here. She has ordered more so I want to figure out the cause before I ship to her again. This is the first time I have had it happen to Cal Golden.
Thanks
HERBIE43
Rutland , MA
(Zone 5b)

June 6, 2010
3:19 AM

Post #7863026

cal - i have been growing hot peppers from seed (bhut jolokia, 7 pods) for two years now. the first year i had 3 bhuts wheret he leaves began to fall off even before i got them outside. once outsidet he leaves grew back but when the flowers formed they too fell off and i did not get any hot peppers. last year i started 7 pots and the same thing happened except the flowers did not fall off and i got a beautiful plant.

don't know if this helps you or not.

1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 6, 2010
3:44 PM

Post #7864699

Herbie-At least I'm not the only one.
HERBIE43
Rutland , MA
(Zone 5b)

June 7, 2010
3:55 AM

Post #7865878

and lets hope its the last time. LOL

1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 7, 2010
6:01 AM

Post #7866093

Where is everybody?
JohnCrichton75
League City, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 7, 2010
12:07 PM

Post #7867311

Vacation maybe. I hope someone comes along quick because I was wondering the same thing Lisa. This has happened to all the bell peppers that I have planted in pots. Some of the leaves turned yellow and dropped. I thought maybe some leaves were eaten, but regardless, the potted plants look a little skimpy now and the fruit is beginning to scald.

The peppers in my veggie bed are about 3' tall and the foliage is very lush. I'm guessing I need to water and/ or feed my potted peppers more, but I do not know specifically how they are deficient.
HERBIE43
Rutland , MA
(Zone 5b)

June 7, 2010
12:24 PM

Post #7867337

ususally yellow leaves are an indication of lack of water but i am not anexpert. when i use the soaker hose on my potted vegetables including my peppers i let it run every day for two hours and i never had any problems at all. i ran them from 8 am ti 10 am. i had them on a timer.

1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 7, 2010
4:33 PM

Post #7867996

These are just dropping no color change they just fall off. I think it maybe stress related, some of the eggplant did the same thing.
HERBIE43
Rutland , MA
(Zone 5b)

June 8, 2010
4:02 AM

Post #7868964

that i never heard off.
JohnCrichton75
League City, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 8, 2010
6:47 PM

Post #7871126

I'm pretty sure my deficiency is due to malnutrition.

I agree Herbie, lack of water...nitrogen.

Thumbnail by JohnCrichton75
Click the image for an enlarged view.

1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 8, 2010
7:28 PM

Post #7871246

OMG naked pepper plants! I just went down to my garden and the Golden Cal wonder are the only bells that have dropped all their leaves. I do see new buds though. They are all on the same soaker hose so...I sure hope the ones I just shipped don't do the same thing.
I was potting up MY Choc Hab. I have babied it and it looked great I went to pot it up and some of the big, beautiful, dark green leaves fell off in my hand. There has got to be a reason.
smokemaster
North Hills, CA

June 20, 2010
10:32 AM

Post #7905156

Did you harden them off-put them in the shade a week or so before giving them full sun?
Leaf drop can come from many things.Some contradict each other.
Little water then a lot.Dry pots to wet ones all of a sudden.
Too much water.
Sometimes a drastic change in soil PH -transplanting from a high PH to a low one.
Too much or too little ferts-though that usually turns the leaves colors first.
Going from a temp. controlled house to a hot outdoors or a warm indoors to a cold outside.
Shock is what most times does it,caused by any of the above.

You'll usually get a lot bushier plants when they grow back.
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 20, 2010
10:52 AM

Post #7905191

Thanks SM I've been wondering where you were. Yes, everything was hardened off. They were all treated the same for whatever reason the Golden Cal Wonder seems to shock easier. I'm not shipping them again next year, too much trouble.
They aren't something I would grow normally anyway. Had a wholesale order and the woman pooped out at the last second. I like to grow stuff thats more unusual, bells don't do well here anyway, but there are a lot of sweet non bells that do.
Thanks
Quyen
Orange, CA
(Zone 10b)

June 25, 2010
3:39 PM

Post #7920436

My peppers drop leaves and blossoms from time to time. I think it's related to temperature and water stress than soil deficiency. I grow many of mine in containers and have a few that are going on their 3rd summer with the original "soil". They still grow and produce... just with smaller leaves and fruits.

Here's my "going on 3" Naga Morich.

Thumbnail by Quyen

Quyen
Orange, CA
(Zone 10b)

June 25, 2010
3:47 PM

Post #7920452

Lots of blooms and peppers...but under a foot tall.

Thumbnail by Quyen

1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 25, 2010
8:03 PM

Post #7921019

Ahhh..Growing in CA. I remember those days. I had a puple Jal for a couple of years, Took it in and out of the house everytime it froze. Last year it got below freezing 1 night (wasn't supposed to) and that was the end of that.
perkoschilefarm
Ben Wheeler, TX

September 16, 2010
9:17 PM

Post #8103476

To much rain or not enough.
Parasites from stress.
Blyte
fungal issues in the root bed.
Or 10 other causes that you may want to resolve the future.

This message was edited Sep 16, 2010 11:23 PM

This message was edited Sep 16, 2010 11:25 PM
cyberageous
Everglades, FL
(Zone 10a)

November 2, 2010
5:31 PM

Post #8191100

My cachucha pepper plants looked like your plant. I was horrified when I turned a leaf over and it was coated with white "soot". I shook the plant and a zillion little white flies flew off. The nursery man told me to use malathion but it's hard to do the under side of the leaves. Needless to say, it's still an on going battle for an awesome tasting [rare] pepper plant. The history is, a few plants were smuggled in from Cuban and you have to pretty much know a local Cuban to talk them out of a seedling. I don't know if that's true but many say that. It's an amazing tasting semi-mild pepper that looks like a habenero but totally better tasting and milder. They are magical! I sure don't want to lose mine to parasites! I need to start more seeds I guess!
cyberageous
Everglades, FL
(Zone 10a)

November 2, 2010
5:34 PM

Post #8191107

Here is a cachucha link: http://www.cubanfoodmarket.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=CFM&Product_Code=PRODUCE03&Category_Code=10801
perkoschilefarm
Ben Wheeler, TX

November 3, 2010
2:29 PM

Post #8192822

cachucha is the same as aji dulce so if you cannot find seeds for cachucha then look for aji dulce. they are the same plant just go by different names in different countries.
cyberageous
Everglades, FL
(Zone 10a)

November 4, 2010
11:06 AM

Post #8194295

You're right, perky! I too looked it up. I just love that pepper! Today I'm making cachucha salsa verde for company this weekend.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Peppers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Name This Sweet, Sweet Pepper Tplant 117 Apr 3, 2008 12:24 AM
pepper plants started HERBIE43 7 Oct 11, 2007 12:56 PM
Hungarian Hot Wax Peppers - What Do You Do With Them? Breezymeadow 21 Mar 20, 2008 2:58 AM
fish peppers up and growing HERBIE43 32 Jul 24, 2009 8:35 PM
Peppers resource thread - opinions & suggestions, please Terry 13 Aug 31, 2010 10:38 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America