Photo by Melody

Beekeeping: Plant list for Honeybees and other bees?

Communities > Forums > Beekeeping
bookmark
Forum: BeekeepingReplies: 6, Views: 108
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
ldy_gardenermd
Highland, MD
(Zone 7a)

June 6, 2010
11:45 AM

Post #7864076

After my honeybee experience the other day, I am now researching beekeeping. I've got lots to read and learn before I'll be ready for the arrival of hives. So in the mean time, I want to make my flower gardens more bee friendly. For years I've focused on butterflies their food and host plant needs. I've been searching the net and am getting bits and pieces of information like bees don't generally see red (with bee balm being one of the exceptions), that native flowers are better choices, to steer away from hybrids of flowers especially doubles and to plant in mass instead of a plant here and there.

I have to admit I was a little surprised at the lack of information about this topic.

Thanks in advance!
JsHoney
Forestville, NY

June 6, 2010
12:07 PM

Post #7864135

go to http://www.masterbeekeeper.org/info/tips.htm
ldy_gardenermd
Highland, MD
(Zone 7a)

June 6, 2010
12:55 PM

Post #7864277

thank you VERY much!
realbirdlady
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 7, 2010
3:35 PM

Post #7867862

I like the Pollinator Partnership materials, http://www.pollinator.org

They talk about all pollinators, but they make clear the different things that attract different ones. So you can subtract out what you already know about butterflies.

Fwiw, there's a woman in my neighborhood who has been a beekeeper for many years. She not only makes her own yard more bee-friendly, but she influences her neighbors to plant more bee plants (whether they know it or not). So everyone gets a bee-friendly plant as a housewarming gift, any time there's a neighborhood potluck she offers out a few, free seeds and cuttings, ...

Have fun! Keep us posted...
ldy_gardenermd
Highland, MD
(Zone 7a)

June 7, 2010
5:34 PM

Post #7868168

Thanks for the info and those are great ideas!!!! I'm excited about this new adventure into beekeeping. I feel sort of guilty for not ever really thinking about bee specific plants before. I guess a lot of us garden and want butterflies and hummingbirds and sort of make bees an after thought, when if anything they need to be at the forefront of our thinking! We need those bees a lot more than we realize!!!
greenthumbjan
Stockton, CA

October 2, 2010
7:03 PM

Post #8133959

I read our post. I have the same problem. thank you so very much for your post. in the mean time, I have to feed my bees time to time with my oil patties and sugar stuff.
SingingWolf
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

October 10, 2010
10:10 AM

Post #8148344

Just be really careful of the Buckeye Tree. It will cause genetic mutations in the brood, which cause the larvae not to develop wings, among other things.
You've already got some great resources listed above, but wanted to let you know about the Buckeye tree. Hopefully you don't have them in your area.
Walk In Beauty!
SingingWolf

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beekeeping Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
To catch a honey bee... WUVIE 10 Mar 25, 2007 11:18 PM
Dead Bees countryfarms 17 Oct 7, 2010 11:42 AM
New Beekeepers SwarmCatcher 10 Sep 12, 2009 3:51 PM
Bee sting - bee stinger mygardens 27 Nov 12, 2008 4:04 PM
Bees in the ground starlight1153 45 Sep 9, 2009 9:54 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America