Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
jtnjenn
Anoka, MN

June 6, 2010
3:13 PM

Post #7864621

Can anyone tell me if these are going to be the flowers on my delphinium? The delphimium is supposed to get to be 5-6' but is only 1' tall now. It is a first year plant, so maybe they don't get to be that tall their first year? Or am I supposed to pinch off this shoot? And how many years will it take to get 5-6'? Thanks.

Thumbnail by jtnjenn
Click the image for an enlarged view.

jtnjenn
Anoka, MN

June 6, 2010
3:14 PM

Post #7864623

Another pic of it

Thumbnail by jtnjenn
Click the image for an enlarged view.

pastime
Waterman, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 7, 2010
4:52 AM

Post #7865961

It takes a few years. It will get bigger. My mom has one that's at least 5' tall, but it's an oldie. Don't cut the flower off. The first flower of the year is usually the biggest one, you don't want to miss it. You're in a colder climate, so give it some protection in the winter. You may want to give the stem a little support. The flowers are heavy and sometimes they fall over. Delphimiums are one of my favorites. I used to have a lot of them, but over the years they disappeared.
jtnjenn
Anoka, MN

June 7, 2010
5:08 AM

Post #7865977

Thanks, pastime!
altagardener
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

June 7, 2010
11:44 AM

Post #7867240

They self-seed like mad here, and don't require any protection, even in our zone 3 winters which usually lack any continuous snow cover. It just comes down to whether the conditions in your area are favorable to growing them or not.
Yes, that is a flower bud. Given that the point of growing delphiniums is enjoying the flowers, I would not advise cutting it off, LOL!
MBentley
Portsmouth, OH

June 28, 2010
10:28 AM

Post #7927688

I have one of these and one of my nieghbor's kids rode there bike over it completely destoring the main stock with the buds on it. It never had a chance to bloom. There are new leaves sprouting is there any chance it may develop a new bloom?
altagardener
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

July 1, 2010
11:21 AM

Post #7935756

Yes, quite possible.
amath
Independence, WI
(Zone 3b)

August 10, 2010
8:50 PM

Post #8032665

The most beautiful flower I ever saw or imagined there could be was a 4 foot spire of deep electric true blue delphinium and I sought it for 5 or 7 years...finally found a site online and ordered them last year. This year I had my dreams come true with BLUE spires. Now the plants are suffering terribly from the wet summer we've had...the leaves are all blackening. I've tied to keep up with fungicide but it rains so much I fear it gets washed right away, so I've cut them back like mad. Many have new growth, a couple don't look like they're going to make it. I hope they come back and show me this is all worth it...-blue lover
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

August 11, 2010
5:26 AM

Post #8033009

Cutting them back at the point where you did it was precisely the right thing to do.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Flowers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Flowers forum! dave 147 Feb 14, 2013 3:15 AM
snapdragon picture gessiegail 39 Jan 1, 2012 1:04 PM
show us beginners your blooms gessiegail 324 Jan 8, 2012 6:20 AM
Favorite annuals from your 2006 garden! Trish 81 Mar 7, 2007 2:02 PM
Heat Mats Ironsides 6 Nov 27, 2007 1:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America