AuthorContent
Ret_Sgt_Yates
Sparta , TN
(Zone 7a)

June 6, 2010
5:45 PM

Post #7865041

Hello Tennessee ,

wonderful weather we are having wope everone in the gardening world is having a blessed day and has everything planted or working on getting it there. 16 folks have viewed the thread stop in and say hello i wont bite just like to know what you are planting and how things are goind on the farm. Good luck and God bless you and your Famley and your farm.

The Sarg.

Thumbnail by Ret_Sgt_Yates
Click the image for an enlarged view.

scooterbug
Tellico Plains, TN
(Zone 7b)

June 6, 2010
6:00 PM

Post #7865078

This message was edited Jun 14, 2010 5:49 PM
Ret_Sgt_Yates
Sparta , TN
(Zone 7a)

June 6, 2010
6:02 PM

Post #7865087

lol i been talken to you for days and you just figured out i was a yates LOL . Im Not Kin to them though just the ones over here .

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

June 6, 2010
6:53 PM

Post #7865239

Well, Hello Sarge--a lot of us went to a Garden party this week end in Arkansas and have not been on line much this week end.
We are really glad to have your input on Mid South. The weather has turned pretty hot and humid here in MS the last several days.
Things are growing leaps and bounds around here, even the weeds !
Sandra
Ret_Sgt_Yates
Sparta , TN
(Zone 7a)

June 6, 2010
7:27 PM

Post #7865362

Hello Sandra,
How are you? Well I hope you had a good trip. The humidity has been high here and the rain almost daily even though they say none called for . it has been odd to say the least. Any way good to meet you and hope to talk to you later.

The Sarg.

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

June 6, 2010
7:57 PM

Post #7865433

That is a good looking veggie garden-we had a great trip, thanks
Ret_Sgt_Yates
Sparta , TN
(Zone 7a)

June 6, 2010
8:05 PM

Post #7865466

hope to get the new ones loaded tomarrow its now x2 to x3 that size now the Lord has blessed it very well ~;>)
Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

June 6, 2010
8:27 PM

Post #7865548

Welcome to Midsouth Yates you are in some good company.
Cindy
Fitsy
Hayesville, NC
(Zone 7a)

June 7, 2010
4:20 AM

Post #7865908

Hi, Yates! Its nice to see your nice garden! What flat land you have.
Lots of my stuff is hanging on a slope. My blue potatoes are blooming
up-a-storm, but I only got okra planted last week.
Wonderful weather here, too.
Fitsy
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 7, 2010
5:06 AM

Post #7865973

Hi Sarg. Yates. Good to see you here! You have a nice garden growing there.

Good to see you here .

Kathy
Ret_Sgt_Yates
Sparta , TN
(Zone 7a)

June 7, 2010
6:54 AM

Post #7866253

Thank you i was in the rockys for a while and no one was there i assumed that Tennessee was in the rockies but i guess i was wrong LOL . were not thar flat. lol just the plat that i ciffered to put my garden is . this is the greating that i was looking for it feels more like home wheeee i was gitting worried ;( there was no southren folks on here to talk too for a while not that i mind talking to the ones that i have been talking too they are fun too never hurts to have new ideas for the garden.

heres what the garden looks like now .;>)

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

June 7, 2010
8:06 AM

Post #7866473

Makes me want a good supper of fresh veggies ! I have mostly flowers and a few tomato plants--a lot of my flowers are daylilies, so they are all parts edible if worst comes to worst--we can still eat !
How big is that area, will it turn out to be what we southerners call a truck patch?
Ret_Sgt_Yates
Sparta , TN
(Zone 7a)

June 7, 2010
8:32 AM

Post #7866545

lol I just posted a New up date in my blog to show the plants in the garden and how there growen the garden is a 40 X 40 heres my Big Dog Mater plants

duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 7, 2010
7:05 PM

Post #7868416

Welcome to the Mid-South family, Sarg!

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

June 8, 2010
6:47 AM

Post #7869359

We will all be standing in line with our hand out when those monster tomatoes come in, offering you a flower in return--LOL--We have a few tomato plants, now that I went to Kathy Anns and tasted a piece of fresh asparagus I want an asparagus bed ! Now to find a place to put it
Ret_Sgt_Yates
Sparta , TN
(Zone 7a)

June 8, 2010
7:12 AM

Post #7869406

Good Morning Mid South Gardeners howís everyone doing this fine morning? Thank you Ms Ducky I was sorta lost trying to find folks to talk to Tenn. Not really Mid South to me its south or so I think and FL and the rest of the Southren states so I was Lost with No Southren Gardening Thread If you know what I mean . but I just hit them all ant talk to everyone anyway there are a few states that mimic Tenn. Weather or vice versa. So I can grow what they grow to some degree if I like it the warmer states that is and donít know about the northern ones yet still looking at some of the veggies im not falimilur with .
Sarg.

Fitsy
Hayesville, NC
(Zone 7a)

June 9, 2010
3:58 AM

Post #7871732

I have a shorter growing season here than I had down in Georgia.
Now I am careful to notice "days to maturity" when I buy seeds!
Fitsy
Ret_Sgt_Yates
Sparta , TN
(Zone 7a)

June 9, 2010
5:00 AM

Post #7871798

Fitsy,

thats what I'm talking about if you go to high or to far one way or the other the grow thing is or will be off the seed dont know it but folks sure will what grows for me might not grow well for others at the same time.

Thanks

Sarg.

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

June 9, 2010
5:34 AM

Post #7871852

Well, hello Claire, where have you been girl--lonnnnnggg time no see-LOL
I thought you had crashed another computer. How is you ditch digging going these days?
Ret_Sgt_Yates
Sparta , TN
(Zone 7a)

June 9, 2010
6:02 AM

Post #7871904

Field Garden Has Come To Life ,

Ok Folks I Have had time to clean the field Garden up and Get it looking good for itís presentation so here it is hope you enjoy it . Myself and my Neighbor have put together a ďMarket Garden and it is cleaned up and weeded I have put photos in my Blog take a look and let me know what you think .

Thanks ,

The Sarg and Frends

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 9, 2010
6:11 AM

Post #7871929

Big garden!! looking good Sarg!!

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

June 9, 2010
6:14 AM

Post #7871937

Making me hungry !!
Ret_Sgt_Yates
Sparta , TN
(Zone 7a)

June 9, 2010
6:18 AM

Post #7871947

it is for the market or road side so to skeak of his Dad is 87 and runs it to stay "active" LOL he likes to be part of the farming thing and still Grow veggies so it's his way of doing his part besides just eating them.so he says . we all have fun its 80X 150 ya it's Big but at least we can get a tiller through the rolls and dont have to hoe the rolls ;)
Ret_Sgt_Yates
Sparta , TN
(Zone 7a)

June 9, 2010
6:20 AM

Post #7871953

slcdms,
We did Ranch grilled buggers and grilled veggies with fryes and tea last night
LOL

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

June 10, 2010
6:38 AM

Post #7875328

Welcome Sgt to our wonderful Mid South Forum and thank you so much for your service to our great country!!!! Without selfless individuals like yourself on the front lines protecting us I know things would not be the same as they are now!!!!! I just had to let you know that first!!!!

I have just a few vegetables!!! Some bush tomatoes, eggplants and cucumbers, but I have lots of different fruits. My passion is tropicals!!!!
Ret_Sgt_Yates
Sparta , TN
(Zone 7a)

June 10, 2010
6:53 AM

Post #7875389

jeri11,

Thank you for your Support I like the tropicals cant grow them we have snow LOL i can do the veggies thou and the grillen thats all ways fun. fishen when we get the chance too .

much love from the Sarge

keep the weeds truned down ~;>)

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

June 10, 2010
7:13 AM

Post #7875447

Boy that garden is clean--no weeds or grass in site anywhere--don't you fell the need to come to MS and work a while-LOL
Ret_Sgt_Yates
Sparta , TN
(Zone 7a)

June 10, 2010
7:29 AM

Post #7875485

slcdms,

Is that Mississippi?

Youíre talking about Hmmm what ya Cooking for Dinner I forget what folks there like to eat ? I am a country feller not much about fast food, I hunt some , fish too, and like fried taters, cathead biscuits, white gravy, salt cured country ham, and sunny side eggs.

Well what do you think thatís one days grub . We start before the rooster gets to clear its throat and get on the fence post in the morning .

LOL so how big it that garden ~;>)

The Sarge

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

June 10, 2010
7:35 AM

Post #7875501

Yes, it is Mississippi and I am , Sandra-- We eat pretty much the same way here, except I can't do the country ham-too salty--I had a ham and biscuit for breakfast today.
My yard is all flowers, but they sure need cleaning out, I have had back trouble this year and not able to do too much out in the beds. I have loads of daylilies and most of them are able to "outgrow the weeds" good thing too !

This is part of my Roadside bed that runs all down the side of the road, I have not measured it, but it is long, see the zoysia grass--it creeps into the beds and then it is trouble !!! I love it in the yard, but hate it in my flower beds

Thumbnail by slcdms

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

June 10, 2010
7:49 AM

Post #7875546

LOL!!! Sgt that is no excuse we had snow 3 X's this year and our temperature went down to 17 degrees for 10 days straight. This was the coldest winter I can remember!!!! I used that white frost cloth and already have blooms on a lot of stuff that I would not have at this time of year.
Ret_Sgt_Yates
Sparta , TN
(Zone 7a)

June 10, 2010
8:05 AM

Post #7875581

Ok Sandra,

Darlen I am bad with Names but Iíll learn them the more I talk to folks and match the ID to the Names it might take me a bit there is a trick to the country ham thing ya got to get a case knife and scrape it off good , some folks wash it off a bit , and pat it dry then fry it and its not too salty .

It donít look that bad it does need some love though some edging up and weeding . and a little mulching (composting like we use weeds donít like it at all) plants love it . if I was closer to ya I would help you out till I got till I got-R-done . it would be fun since I havenít worked with flowers in a long time . donít think I would kill them just havenít had any just like the garden hadent done any for a long time and that seems to be going well. LOL

jeri11,

Yea i know , I might try a few when i get my glass house set up this Fall. I lke my mini Roses too so who know lil tropicals might be on the menu too.lol

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

June 10, 2010
8:14 AM

Post #7875597

The invite is open anytime you are ready to work--LOL
Ret_Sgt_Yates
Sparta , TN
(Zone 7a)

June 10, 2010
8:24 AM

Post #7875617

sandra,

ill keep it in mind, i'm Just as likely to make arrangements too be there sometime. if the VA and SS Get over their Inverted ceranial syndrom I might just set up the trip but the wife ant two youngens have to come along cause we would bee stopping in cajun country too LOL so it is possable Darlen.The Good Lord Has a way of Blessing folks you Know . and I have been Blessed many times over for Helping folks do simlpe things just like this. ~;>) .

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

June 10, 2010
9:34 AM

Post #7875793

I would love to see you all, open invite, but I would not really make you work, I would feed you some cat head biscuits though !! I am not completely down in my back, just having some troubles with it, my hubby helps when I ask him, I just hate to ask him, as it is my hobby, not his--he would plow it all under and plant tomatoes if he had his way-lol
I am afraid that if you are waiting for the SS to get well, you will never go anywhere !!
Government operations, you know, take forever and the long way around to do anything.
We have a friend that was injured in the army and he has had so much trouble with things, his wife posts on here sometimes, she is savagegardener and lives in Middleton TN
Ret_Sgt_Yates
Sparta , TN
(Zone 7a)

June 10, 2010
9:53 AM

Post #7875863

Sandra,

She sounds much like me .lol but the one thing that the SS and the Bid Govt cant change or fight is the Good Lord Above he does Have a way of working things out and he has proven that to me many times over I wont waver on that. He has taken care of me so far and Iíll tell that he is happy if he donít Iíll tell that so we have a agreement he takes care of me and I take care of his Word & Works So if He tells Me to do something I do it even though I may not like it I will.LOL and the Good Lord Takes Care of the Rest. Itís a pretty Good Deal I think.

Middleton TN is not far from me .lol

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

June 10, 2010
10:30 AM

Post #7875934

Yes, God is good, He has taken very good care of us also. He alone gives the very air we breathe !!!!
I am not sure where Sparta is, I do know where Middleton is though. Middleton is only about 45 minutes from us.
Ret_Sgt_Yates
Sparta , TN
(Zone 7a)

June 10, 2010
10:36 AM

Post #7875946

Ok it is closer to Memphis then had it the wrong way I am in Middle Tenn. If you looked on the Tennessee map with the counties showing, we are the ice cream on the ice cream cone LOL
Fitsy
Hayesville, NC
(Zone 7a)

June 10, 2010
3:20 PM

Post #7876727

Sarge, I live too far away from these mid-south folks to get to do things
with them, but these are very special people, and they do indeed really
gang up on someone who has surgery or something, and weed their
gardens. They come from so far away that they have to spend nights.

What a wonderful big garden Sarge!

Amen to the appreciation for military folks.

Sandra, what in the world are those purple flowers on the long stems???

Sarge, so you have blue fairies flitting around???

Oh, Sandra, I have so much coolie work to do, and being just one little
coolie, I had to sort of let stuff go, but I have been hovering.

Fitsie

About the ditch Sandra mentioned, when I can't control gang-buster weeds
I just dig a ditch between them and my garden. I mean stuff like privet and
blackberry that sends long underground cables into my garden. I have two
more places that need ditches badly, and I'll get around to them.
Ret_Sgt_Yates
Sparta , TN
(Zone 7a)

June 10, 2010
3:36 PM

Post #7876752

Fitsy,

your closer to me than mississippi , i use to live in Waxal NC lol

Sarge

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

June 10, 2010
3:37 PM

Post #7876754

Claire those are a verbena ! They are truly a butterfly magnet, the butterflies love them, however some folks don't like them, as you can see they are very prolific, the seeds make them come up everywhere, I pulled quite a few up when I first cleaned the bed out this spring and they are still everywhere. I like them well enough to keep lots of them, but they are easy to pull up if you don't want them where they pop up at.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/141/
Fitsy
Hayesville, NC
(Zone 7a)

June 12, 2010
5:03 AM

Post #7881097

Thanks very much, Sandra. I didn't know there is a tall verbena.
I would sure love to have it, except the link you give tells about how
invasive it is, so I am scared of it. The link even warns about it getting
into pastures, and my neighbor's pasture begins right outside my
kitchen door.
Fitsy

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

June 12, 2010
5:55 AM

Post #7881201

Yes, they do reseed everywhere, so you probably would not be well liked by the neighbor--unless the neighbor likes butterflies !
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 13, 2010
8:01 AM

Post #7884236

Hello Sarg!! I've been trying to say hi and keep up with the thread but I just can't do it, so I'm going to say hi now and catch up in a bit, hopefully. That's the plan anyway! LOL
Ret_Sgt_Yates
Sparta , TN
(Zone 7a)

June 13, 2010
8:15 AM

Post #7884264

crissyr,

E'llo how are you? jump in any time! when its raining (thats been most days lately) and i am not down feeling bad that is i do my garden in the mornin up at 5am terorize the weeds drink coffee put the coon & possums to bed kick the rooster off the fence post (dont want to wake the curtin climbers or the wife they aint feelen to good) and a biscut and sauge wit a bit of mustard and honey. then to the DG to see who is up and on the chatter box lol not bad for 3 hours in the mornin hua ... but not all mornins go that good either .

Sarge.

crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 14, 2010
7:31 AM

Post #7887185

LOL!!! That's exactly what my DH does every morning! I have to get my full 8 hours of sleep before I do all of that, and since I have to get up at 6am during the week I sleep in on the weekends.
Ret_Sgt_Yates
Sparta , TN
(Zone 7a)

June 14, 2010
9:35 AM

Post #7887509

LOL the Rooster Aint even mine it just showed up . and I had to feed it it was looken skroney i just wish it brought some hens with him. the eggs would have been nice

HA HA HA

Sarge
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 14, 2010
1:50 PM

Post #7888250

Yea, that would have been nice! Nothing better than farm fresh eggs, straight from your own farm! We're eventually going to get a couple of hens, but we need a coop first.
Ret_Sgt_Yates
Sparta , TN
(Zone 7a)

June 14, 2010
2:02 PM

Post #7888282

lol Pallets make a cheep and free coop tear-em apart and build one plans are all over the net .
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 14, 2010
2:50 PM

Post #7888422

Oh I know, we're not going to do anything until this heat goes away some. We have to figure out where we want to put it in the yard too. Dave used to have one, so I think he knows exactly what he wants to do. Good thing cause I sure don't! LOL
Ret_Sgt_Yates
Sparta , TN
(Zone 7a)

June 15, 2010
8:29 AM

Post #7890420

E'llo come on by and say Hello at my Front Porch and meet some New Folks !

Here's the Link

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1108038/

The Sarge
gen2026
Camden, AR

June 17, 2010
1:31 PM

Post #7897294

Been off line for several days and trying to catch up on threads... but it is nice to meet you Sarge. Hope you like it here on the mid south - there are some great folks here!

Genna
Ret_Sgt_Yates
Sparta , TN
(Zone 7a)

June 17, 2010
1:37 PM

Post #7897307

Genna,

good to meet you and thank you welcome back

Sarge
Ret_Sgt_Yates
Sparta , TN
(Zone 7a)

June 23, 2010
6:13 AM

Post #7912860

Hello Folks This is the Sarge I have set up a thread called The Sarge's Front Porch it Updates Everyday with a New Day and Date we Chat with folks from all over about diffrent things and alot about nothing Every one is Welcome there is a Small list of Rules at the Top of the Thread to clear up any confusion about the thread so come on by and see me and the rest of the folks if you like .

Thank you

The Sarge

Here is the Parking Lot link ti get you in the right spot just look for the todays date that you are visiting

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/f/parking/all/

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Mid-South Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Mid-South Gardening forum! Terry 72 Jun 19, 2008 8:48 PM
Why Do Folks Love Living in the South? FlowrLady 174 Jan 21, 2008 1:12 AM
Look at my daffodils! chicochi3 37 Nov 6, 2007 4:00 PM
New to this forum corgimom 40 Jul 22, 2010 11:22 AM
Help!! My Hibiscus is ?????????? elamap 2 May 3, 2007 4:59 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America