Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: Managing Elderly Lilacs: Pruning Lilacs

Communities > Forums > Article: Managing Elderly Lilacs
bookmark
Forum: Article: Managing Elderly LilacsReplies: 12, Views: 94
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
nancy44
Asheville, NC

June 7, 2010
7:33 AM

Post #7866362

We moved into a house in NC that had a gorgeous, VERY tall, fancy, purple-flowered lilac bush. Thinking that it needed to be more proportional to the house, we pruned it...to the ground. We had NO flowers for years. And truly, we were relieved that we didn't kill it.
Now I hear that only very vigorous looking lilacs (those putting out lots of suckers or runners) should be pruned to the ground.
tonileland
Uncasville, CT
(Zone 6a)

June 9, 2010
12:22 PM

Post #7873072

Pruning to the ground is a drastic measure for lilacs, as you found out! :o(
But for old or severely stressed plants like the ones in my article, it is the only answer.
For regular pruning maintenance of lilacs, you are right--the suckers should come out and also any dead wood. Pruning manuals will tell you to use a rule of thirds. Every fall, take out only 1/3 of the shrub trunks, allowing the new growth room to spread and flourish.
Strel
Rochester, NY

July 15, 2010
11:13 AM

Post #7970618

Have several 3' Miss Kims in their 2nd year...when is best time to prune and how much???...1/3 as article says?
I cut off at best 1/4 other day including all dry flowers. Is that OK?
tonileland
Uncasville, CT
(Zone 6a)

July 15, 2010
12:46 PM

Post #7970755

Strel,
I hope when you cut off the dry flowers, you only took the flower part, not any stem.
Next year's buds begin to form at the base of the old flowers. If you cut back too far, you'll have no blooms on those branches. :(
As for pruning a second-year shrub, I would say it's not necessary. The rule of 1/3 is mainly for older overgrown bushes.
Strel
Rochester, NY

July 17, 2010
9:34 AM

Post #7975596

Thank you for guidance on pruning 3' Miss Kim's... Unfortunately I did both; i.e. pruned branch with dry flower on some and just dry flower on some. So, we'll know better next time. What saved me was some bad experiences with pruning Hydrangai too much
tonileland
Uncasville, CT
(Zone 6a)

July 17, 2010
11:36 AM

Post #7975836

Hydrangeas: they just want to be left alone! LOL I did the same thing for years, took off all those ugly dry sticks. Ooops.
outofwyoming
Cheyenne, WY

July 2, 2011
8:02 PM

Post #8668905

I have a 12 year old Charm lilac which has responded well to the 1/3 rule espoused earlier. In this thread suckers and new growth were mentioned and that suckers should be removed. How does one tell which is which?
tonileland
Uncasville, CT
(Zone 6a)

July 3, 2011
3:17 AM

Post #8669113

Suckers come straight up out of the ground around the base of the trunk(s). They are usually a few inches out, so you can see they are separate growth. Also, they usually grow straight up and get tall very quickly.
outofwyoming
Cheyenne, WY

July 3, 2011
6:50 AM

Post #8669362

Thank you for the info about suckers. I see a few of those suckers (pun intended) and will chop them off (at the ground level??). What will new growth look like? Thanks again.
tonileland
Uncasville, CT
(Zone 6a)

July 4, 2011
11:20 AM

Post #8671756

Yes, cut them off even a little below ground level by pulling away some soil around them.

New growth will come at the tips of branches and along the smaller branches. New growth always appears around the base of the flower head after it withers. That's why we deadhead the blooms so new ones will come the following year. Good luck, and you're welcome!
outofwyoming
Cheyenne, WY

July 11, 2011
7:40 AM

Post #8685644

Thank you very much.
carberyfields
Lebanon, CT

April 7, 2013
9:19 AM

Post #9474645

I have some beautiful deep purple lilac that I transplanted from my old house to our new one at my mother's instance (she loved them). Now my sister has built a new house and wants some of my lilac. She lives in MD, I am in CT. What would be the best way to share my plant? I have to drive to MD in mid June, is that too late? My plants are 11 years old now and can use some thinning...
tonileland
Uncasville, CT
(Zone 6a)

April 9, 2013
12:19 PM

Post #9477676

I suspect you could dig some suckers from around the plant and dig deep enough to get some rooted pieces. these should grow just fine in MD, however, it will be years before they bloom.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Managing Elderly Lilacs Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
How Timely! darius 12 Jun 13, 2010 5:14 PM
Aged Lilacs Pegaleigh 0 Mar 31, 2008 11:28 PM
Lilac tomtom1 1 Apr 5, 2008 11:00 AM
Thanks for your help! cbetz 0 Jun 15, 2008 10:23 PM
lilac blight jesskotz 1 Jun 9, 2010 12:05 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America