Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Carolina Gardening: Pressure Washing Top 10 List

Communities > Forums > Carolina Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Carolina GardeningReplies: 11, Views: 69
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC
(Zone 8a)

June 7, 2010
11:50 AM

Post #7867257

I rented a pressure washer today .. I've never used one before .. here is what I learned:

Top 10 things I learned about using a pressure washer.

10. It will scare the beejeebers out of your kittys watching you from a window if you get too close.

09. They make real good trenchers.

08. They do a really nice job edging your lawn – especially in places you didn’t want to edge it.

07. After awhile they make your hands tingle when you stop for a rest.

06. The first time you pull the trigger it will almost knock you backwards on your butt.

05. It will knock a panel out of a polycarbonate greenhouse quicker than you can say

04. It will take paint off of metal in a jiffy.

03. Washing the flying dirt n stuff off of everything takes longer than it did to power wash it.

02. You’re going to get wet and water parks are cheaper.

01. You’re going to get dirty as well as wet, you’ll have to hose down your jeans and shirt before you can put them in the washer and it will take 2 shampoos to get all the algae, lichen and moss out of your hair.

melsalz
Mooresville, NC
(Zone 7b)

June 8, 2010
7:01 AM

Post #7869383

You are so funny

I own a pressure washer and get extreme satisfaction after each use. One of the best purchases ever.
Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC
(Zone 8a)

June 8, 2010
8:35 AM

Post #7869611

They are fun. So glad I didn't buy one though .. I rented a heavy duty one that actually fit in my car for 4 hours for only 45 dollars .. It cleaned some patio furniture I was about to list on Craigs list for free to like new! I rented it mostly to clean the brick on the back of the house which is north facing thus loaded with moss, algae and lichen. After finishing the brick I had 2 more hours to go and started in on the patio furniture, concrete n stuff. Was amazed at how easy they are to use and the job it did.
CoreHHI
Bluffton, SC
(Zone 9a)

June 8, 2010
5:41 PM

Post #7870938

Very useful and some times entertaining device. Wife is banned from ever using one again, whole story behind that. LOL.
melsalz
Mooresville, NC
(Zone 7b)

June 8, 2010
6:29 PM

Post #7871071

Oh Core, please share, because there is a learning curve associated with one. I took a chunk out of our deck once and have learned that you can't clean patio cushions either.
Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC
(Zone 8a)

June 8, 2010
7:12 PM

Post #7871189

Yeah .. I'd like to hear it too.
CoreHHI
Bluffton, SC
(Zone 9a)

June 9, 2010
7:52 PM

Post #7874446

She was looking at the pressure washer saying it looked like fun so I said sure you can do the back of the house. Make sure you don't get to close to anything because you can blow the paint right off and shoot water into places it shouldn't be. Gave a little more instruction and I went to do something else. I checked back in about 5 minutes later to see how things were going and she had already blown the paint off part of the porch. I reissued warnings on what to stay away from then went to move a couple of things out of her way. I look up and she's washing the electric outlet with the little door flying open closed open closed, "yikes don't do that". Look away for a minute and she was doing it again so I asked why is she doing that again? "I'm trying to get it back to the color it use to be." It was plastic and sun faded it's not going to change back to what it looked like before. Back is finished time for lunch. Open the sliding glass door to find water had filled the track and was running all over the floor. Apparently the the outside electrical is connected to the breakfast nook lights because they didn't work any more. I have decided that her inability to follow instructions and a seeming lack of common sense may actually cost me more time fixing what has been "cleaned" than time saved having her pressure wash.

Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC
(Zone 8a)

June 10, 2010
7:23 AM

Post #7875470

Ouch! That is actually scary! My biggest worry was staying away from weep holes in the brick.

melsalz
Mooresville, NC
(Zone 7b)

June 11, 2010
7:41 AM

Post #7878289

Oh boy, yep, banned from using the pressure washer again.
Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC
(Zone 8a)

June 11, 2010
7:45 AM

Post #7878296

I have to wonder though .. did you actually explain to her why it was a bad idea?
bonjon
Raleigh, NC

June 13, 2010
8:36 AM

Post #7884306

LOL - and to think I had to force hubby to use one! I think they are a blast - but then I haven't used one on anything that wasn't in-ground pool related. LOL
CoreHHI
Bluffton, SC
(Zone 9a)

June 13, 2010
5:11 PM

Post #7885755

Loree use to work in a Hotel and their mind set was clean things as violently as possible with the harshest chemical possible, if you destroy it call maintenance and get a new one. Not such a good way to operate around the house. She likes leaf blowers and is very good at that. LOL.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Carolina Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Helllo Snoutherner 16 Apr 13, 2007 8:22 PM
Beautiful day Rosykay 14 Mar 20, 2009 11:32 PM
Flame azalea spartacusaby 20 Jun 21, 2007 4:17 AM
What is it? CarolinaTracer 6 May 5, 2007 1:05 PM
Hardiness success stories Tropicanna 102 Oct 16, 2007 7:29 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America