Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Carolina Gardening: Dish Sat.

Communities > Forums > Carolina Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Carolina GardeningReplies: 17, Views: 111
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
christmascactus

June 9, 2010
9:29 AM

Post #7872522

Would love to hear any comments you have about Dish's services.
I have Direct & am thinking about changing over to Dish.
christmascactus

June 13, 2010
11:01 AM

Post #7884728

?????
bonjon
Raleigh, NC

June 13, 2010
3:17 PM

Post #7885467

someone comes and cleans your dishes? Directly????
christmascactus

June 14, 2010
7:49 AM

Post #7887234

What are you talking about?
I'm talking about tv satellite dish.
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

June 14, 2010
8:32 AM

Post #7887349

LOL bj,

It is probably going to be different in different areas. We use Direct because they offer the channels we want for less $ but it may be very different where you are. So many factors influence the recception of the signals.
Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC
(Zone 8a)

June 14, 2010
1:53 PM

Post #7888259

I wouldn't swap my dtv for anything .. make a list of the channels you watch regularly and make sure that dish network does carry them .. one of my fav channels is ION and i don't think dn carries it.
CoreHHI
Bluffton, SC
(Zone 9a)

June 14, 2010
8:24 PM

Post #7889466

Not much difference, main one is whether you like the NFL package on Directv.
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

June 15, 2010
9:34 AM

Post #7890604

We used to have to have our dish hidden from street view and we could not pick up a signal from Dish back then because of the trees. DTV's satellites were in the right orientation so our dish could pick up the signals. LOL, we don't watch NFL so that did not influence us. However, every time DTV tries to raise their rates we call them up and say we are switching to Dish and voila - they give us a break.
Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC
(Zone 8a)

June 15, 2010
10:22 AM

Post #7890719

Lol .. Ardesia you have their number! Everytime they have to come out and do something and want to charge me I mumble "cable's looking better and better" and voila! no charge.
bonjon
Raleigh, NC

June 16, 2010
2:06 AM

Post #7892614

LOL - oh, that! I thought it was something dishy in the garden!

1st sat dish we had was 12 feet across in early 80s. hated that thing with a passion, but loved picking up all the feeds, including international feeds, for olympics! That was so cool, because each country was carrying something different. For example, the French went nuts carrying the kayaking and the bicycle races. Some tough speaking country carrying lots of weight lifting. Brits carried just about every heat of the boat races. so much fun!
Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC
(Zone 8a)

June 16, 2010
5:50 AM

Post #7892980

I remember those monsters and remember the unedited feeds as well!

StonoRiver
Johns Island, SC

June 16, 2010
8:17 PM

Post #7895516

Pretend no knowedge of this stuff... (I'm an elder fart) and really don't care. But some years ago, we switched from one to the other because one could provide local channels, while the other one couldn't/wouldn't... We switched. Been perfectly happy...
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

June 17, 2010
5:15 AM

Post #7896069

LOL, according to the satelitte companies local for us, distance wise, is Savannah and that drives us crazy so we have an old fashioned antennae in the attic to pick up the Charleston stations. Sheesh, we live in SC, it is no wonder the folks in Beaufort county don't know what is going on in our own state.
StonoRiver
Johns Island, SC

June 25, 2010
5:02 PM

Post #7920607

Got me curious, so I asked my wife-who-knows-everything-electronic and she told me we switched because Direct TV told us we'd have to add another satellite dish to our roof in order to get local channels. Dish TV only required one satellite dish to do both. We had no problems with Direct TV for years...it was an aesthetic decision; not an economic or content decision. We've been quite happy with Dish since we've had it...
CoreHHI
Bluffton, SC
(Zone 9a)

June 25, 2010
8:44 PM

Post #7921121

They have curved dishes now with 3 LNB's to pick up locals and the HD channels. Don't need to have two dishes any more. Dish now has free locals I believe.
Mountainbeauty
Clyde, NC

July 11, 2010
11:53 AM

Post #7960049

We switched to Dish. Saved money. Found out that we really don't miss the channels that we don't have. (used to get Speed, NatGeo, Oxygen), and we do get ION.
HostaLily
Florence, SC
(Zone 8a)

July 12, 2010
8:32 AM

Post #7962379

We jsut switched to Direct TV...from Time Warner Cable. Frankly, I am still trying to decide if I like it or not. It is much less expensive, and the channels are basically the same.

Our local channels are all out of Myrtle Beach...and it's not Direct's fault, but I am really tired of hearing about "the Beach"...we get hardly anything to do with the Pee Dee Area. But as I said, that's the tv station doing this not Direct. There are way too many sports channels on Direct's (not a fan except for Clemson)...the amount of pay movie channels are much less than Time Warner (HBO, Showtime etc).. but we do get the UNC PBS channels which I am enjoying very much.
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

July 12, 2010
9:09 AM

Post #7962500

We actrually get 4 different SC ETV channels, including a couple in HD, who even knew they had that many. We are closer to GA so we get their PBS channels also.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Carolina Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Helllo Snoutherner 16 Apr 13, 2007 8:22 PM
Beautiful day Rosykay 14 Mar 20, 2009 11:32 PM
Flame azalea spartacusaby 20 Jun 21, 2007 4:17 AM
What is it? CarolinaTracer 6 May 5, 2007 1:05 PM
Hardiness success stories Tropicanna 102 Oct 16, 2007 7:29 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America