Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Handyman: Well's

Communities > Forums > Handyman
bookmark
Forum: HandymanReplies: 8, Views: 109
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

jasminesmom

jasminesmom
Saugerties, NY
(Zone 5a)

June 10, 2010
2:47 PM

Post #7876673

Can anyone tell me if this looks like a legal well setup? I think it is not, whats your thoughts? I will post a couple pic's for you to view. Thank you in advance
Christine

Thumbnail by jasminesmom
Click the image for an enlarged view.

jasminesmom

jasminesmom
Saugerties, NY
(Zone 5a)

June 10, 2010
2:50 PM

Post #7876677

another picture

Thumbnail by jasminesmom

jasminesmom

jasminesmom
Saugerties, NY
(Zone 5a)

June 10, 2010
2:52 PM

Post #7876681

one last picture, this well is used for building's water supply :>(

Thumbnail by jasminesmom

DesertPirate
Fallbrook, CA
(Zone 10b)

June 15, 2010
8:19 AM

Post #7890389

Water laws vary widely from state to state. What may be legal in NY may not be somewhere else and vice versa. If you're trying to find out without calling attention to it, try asking an independent well driller.

jasminesmom

jasminesmom
Saugerties, NY
(Zone 5a)

June 15, 2010
1:33 PM

Post #7891203

Thank you DesertPirate for your reply, I told my friend the same thing. Just because I thought it looked bad doesnt mean it is. Thanks again :>)
ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

June 28, 2010
4:20 AM

Post #7926704

Legal or not, it could be dangerous. Remember the little girl years ago who fell into a well and it took hours and hours to rescue her? This well should at least have a hinged lid that can be locked. If the well supplies drinking water, I'd be concerned about how sanitary it is as well. Anyone could drop anything down in there and contaminate the water supply.

jasminesmom

jasminesmom
Saugerties, NY
(Zone 5a)

June 28, 2010
6:01 AM

Post #7926914

I agree with you also Butterfly. Thanks for responding

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

June 28, 2010
6:06 AM

Post #7926925

Certainly not in current sanitary standard! An animal could fall in and ROT in the water. You could use it for garden but beware for drinking and bathing. Find a well guy. Maybe he can put a proper cap on top, then you chlorinate it and you're good to go. Plenty of water in it, that's good!
Doug9345
Durhamville, NY
(Zone 5b)

July 16, 2010
10:28 AM

Post #7973018

It definitely needs a cap on it to keep kids,animals and junk out of the well. It looks like it's well tile below with an extension of galvanized culvert on the top. Contamination will depend on what's around and above it. If that is a concerned have the water tested by an independent lab, not some company that has something to gain from selling you something besides the test.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Handyman Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Easy "Water Pic" Hole Digger roadrunner 20 Apr 11, 2008 3:43 AM
My rain water harvesting pics Dinu 24 Mar 31, 2009 4:28 PM
a peculiar bookcase (Horseshoe, have a look!!) dpmichael 56 Mar 17, 2007 6:57 PM
concrete stain crestedchik 7 May 30, 2007 4:27 AM
hard to move sliding glass door Janiejoy 10 Jul 9, 2009 3:37 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America