Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Carolina Gardening: What is this thingy?

Communities > Forums > Carolina Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Carolina GardeningReplies: 4, Views: 88
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

June 10, 2010
4:17 PM

Post #7876904

Anyone know what the heck this is? Is it just some weird clump of moss or is it some kind of nest?
It's about 3-4" across, and is on the underside of an Oak branch.

????
:)
Deb

Thumbnail by DebinSC
Click the image for an enlarged view.

donnacreation
Sumter, SC
(Zone 8a)

June 10, 2010
5:40 PM

Post #7877122

I don't know what they are, but I've noticed many in S Florida. They appear with spanish moss, especially on live oaks.
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

June 10, 2010
6:35 PM

Post #7877237

A Tilandsia????? I've never seen one up here but it would be cool if that is what it is.
DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

June 11, 2010
8:55 AM

Post #7878487

Alice, you're a genius! I believe that's exactly what it is, Tillandsia recurvata probably, based on my search.
I'll have to keep an eye on it to see if it blooms later on. I didn't see our area as one of the places it is known to grow; most sources seem to limit it to only as far north as Georgia. Though I see in plantfiles that it's been noted down your way but not up this far. Hmmmm. I'm thrilled. :)
Thanks!

This message was edited Jun 11, 2010 10:59 AM
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

June 12, 2010
10:06 AM

Post #7881785

Aw shucks, LOL

I am in Jacksonville this week and while I was walking around the yard I noticed several clusters of tilandsias in a ligustrum. Knowing my kids won;t mind, I borrowed a couple to try at home. Hopefully they will put out some of whatever they multiply by (tiny seeds?) and take hold. They were only in one shrub, I checked all the others and could not find anymore.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Carolina Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Helllo Snoutherner 16 Apr 13, 2007 8:22 PM
Beautiful day Rosykay 14 Mar 20, 2009 11:32 PM
Flame azalea spartacusaby 20 Jun 21, 2007 4:17 AM
What is it? CarolinaTracer 6 May 5, 2007 1:05 PM
Hardiness success stories Tropicanna 102 Oct 16, 2007 7:29 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America