Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Carolina Gardening: What is this thingy?

Communities > Forums > Carolina Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Carolina GardeningReplies: 4, Views: 88
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

June 10, 2010
4:17 PM

Post #7876904

Anyone know what the heck this is? Is it just some weird clump of moss or is it some kind of nest?
It's about 3-4" across, and is on the underside of an Oak branch.

????
:)
Deb

Thumbnail by DebinSC
Click the image for an enlarged view.

donnacreation
Sumter, SC
(Zone 8a)

June 10, 2010
5:40 PM

Post #7877122

I don't know what they are, but I've noticed many in S Florida. They appear with spanish moss, especially on live oaks.
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

June 10, 2010
6:35 PM

Post #7877237

A Tilandsia????? I've never seen one up here but it would be cool if that is what it is.
DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

June 11, 2010
8:55 AM

Post #7878487

Alice, you're a genius! I believe that's exactly what it is, Tillandsia recurvata probably, based on my search.
I'll have to keep an eye on it to see if it blooms later on. I didn't see our area as one of the places it is known to grow; most sources seem to limit it to only as far north as Georgia. Though I see in plantfiles that it's been noted down your way but not up this far. Hmmmm. I'm thrilled. :)
Thanks!

This message was edited Jun 11, 2010 10:59 AM
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

June 12, 2010
10:06 AM

Post #7881785

Aw shucks, LOL

I am in Jacksonville this week and while I was walking around the yard I noticed several clusters of tilandsias in a ligustrum. Knowing my kids won;t mind, I borrowed a couple to try at home. Hopefully they will put out some of whatever they multiply by (tiny seeds?) and take hold. They were only in one shrub, I checked all the others and could not find anymore.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Carolina Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Helllo Snoutherner 16 Apr 13, 2007 8:22 PM
Beautiful day Rosykay 14 Mar 20, 2009 11:32 PM
Flame azalea spartacusaby 20 Jun 21, 2007 4:17 AM
What is it? CarolinaTracer 6 May 5, 2007 1:05 PM
Hardiness success stories Tropicanna 102 Oct 16, 2007 7:29 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America