Photo by Melody
We rolled out several small fixes on January 29. If you encounter any problems, please report them in the designated thread in the DG Site Updates forum.

Dahlias: Dumb question about beetles...

Communities > Forums > Dahlias
bookmark
Forum: DahliasReplies: 8, Views: 71
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
queequeg_1
Pinellas Park, FL
(Zone 10a)

June 11, 2010
6:00 PM

Post #7880005

I have these little beetles that get into the blooms, once opened, deep amidst the petals and...well...make the blooms ugly. They don't quite chew on the petals (as best I can tell-nothing obvious), but they nestle in there, making the blooms a little malformed and darken the area where they're snuggled-whether with their poop,or...? I'm 99% sure they aren't in there as the bloom is forming, because I have been checking as it opens, to see if I can find them ahead of time and knock them off. They don't move much-seem to say in the same spot.
They don't match the description of Japanese beetles-no leaf damage and they don't look the same. I've looked on bug files here and googled them and I can't find a match. Of course, it would be nice if I had a photo, wouldn't it? I wasn't smart enough to get one, so will get one and post here ASAP. Briefly, it is maybe 1/4" big, very dark bownish-black, not irridescent at all. No other distinguishing marks. Any help is appreciated.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

June 12, 2010
10:56 AM

Post #7881900

Could you cut off a flower head that has the bugs in it and put it in a sealed plastic bag and then bring it to a reliable nursery for identification?
queequeg_1
Pinellas Park, FL
(Zone 10a)

June 12, 2010
2:36 PM

Post #7882416

Well, now that's a good idea. After I posted, I went through the bug files some more. There are so many files listed under beetle, so I probably got 2/3 way through them and still didn't find it. I'm gonna go out and look for one now...
queequeg_1
Pinellas Park, FL
(Zone 10a)

June 12, 2010
2:50 PM

Post #7882466

So, no beetle, but the tell tale signs one has maybe been there.
Not chewed up so much as made the bloom icky.

Thumbnail by queequeg_1
Click the image for an enlarged view.

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

June 12, 2010
4:16 PM

Post #7882712

Your local county extension agent might know the culprit so give them a try if your local nursery can't identify the problem.
queequeg_1
Pinellas Park, FL
(Zone 10a)

June 14, 2010
5:07 PM

Post #7888856

I will very much do this, as soon as I get a day off (not sure when that will be).
Here is a picture of the bug. I lied-it's actually 1/2".

Thumbnail by queequeg_1
Click the image for an enlarged view.

sannajane
Eureka, CA

June 17, 2010
8:31 AM

Post #7896647

Ugh!! Out here I am plagued sometimes with Cucumber Beetles... but that's not one of them. Good luck~!
queequeg_1
Pinellas Park, FL
(Zone 10a)

June 17, 2010
8:42 AM

Post #7896684

Cucmber beetles are cute but a menace. Why can't they just leave our dahlias alone?
Thanks to melody over at the Bug ID forum, she found it was Euphoria sepulcralis or Dark Flower Scarab. They eat nectar/pollen. So THAT'S what that pest was doing in there.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

June 17, 2010
9:01 AM

Post #7896742

So glad you found the name of the offender!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Dahlias Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Dahliettas, gallery dahlias, jackpot dahlias Lenjo 12 Mar 7, 2013 6:27 PM
Dahlias and black walnut hart 17 May 16, 2008 10:37 PM
Will the real Edinburgh please stand up? mvespa 19 Apr 17, 2007 8:44 AM
NO H20 - Candy says "Hi!" Please say Hi back Poochella 11 Oct 12, 2009 12:13 AM
Do ya really really have to dig them? WayehMalamutes 18 Apr 14, 2008 6:30 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2015 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America