Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Carolina Gardening: passiflora incarnata question for our zone

Communities > Forums > Carolina Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Carolina GardeningReplies: 8, Views: 60
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

June 12, 2010
9:00 AM

Post #7881633

Does anyone grow passiflora incarnata in S. Carolina? If so, when do they start to bloom? And...where do the blooms come from? New or old growth, etc?
I have some that I planted last year. They grew well but didn't bloom. They are getting bigger and bigger now, and I'm hoping for blooms, but would like to know when to start looking...and where. :)
Thanks!!!
Deb
Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC
(Zone 8a)

June 12, 2010
9:21 AM

Post #7881696

Deb I have an alata that is doing that .. big beautiful leaves last year and this year but no blooms .. I've decided to drown it in Bloom Booster once a week .. I'll let you know if that helps.

My other passies, Lady Margaret and Cotton Leaf are blooming their heads off.
DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

June 12, 2010
9:30 AM

Post #7881722

Ah! Well, I will do the bloom booster thing myself! LOL. Thanks, X!
I'll let you know if it works on mine, too. :)
DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

June 19, 2010
8:34 AM

Post #7902466

I went for a walk this morning and found an incarnata growing wild and blooming. :(
Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC
(Zone 8a)

June 19, 2010
9:16 AM

Post #7902541

Lol .. well then, kick yours a few times and let mother nature water it. I've had that happen to me .. I've actually gotten stubborn plants to bloom by stressing them out - withholding water and exposing roots .. since reproducing itself is it's prime directive, a lot of plants will bloom if they are in croaking mode.
GardeningNC
Durham, NC
(Zone 7b)

June 21, 2010
7:42 AM

Post #7907229

I had a passion vine I found in the ditch across from my house, dug up a piece and found it did nothing for two years but leaf. Once I realized that it was not getting enough sun where it was, I moved it and it has done GREAT!! Actually I am wondering how weedy it might really be when it is happy. I have a flower bed I created with very good soil and this thing is coming up EVERYWHERE! even in my lawn. Ill have to look up which species as I thought it was the native species.
donnacreation
Sumter, SC
(Zone 8a)

June 21, 2010
11:54 AM

Post #7907938

When the county was redigging ditches last year, I had them dump 2 loads of mostly sand in my yard. This year native passion flowers are popping up like crazy in this lousy soil. I've noticed that the passion flower vines that I carefully dug up and moved to damp fertile ground aren't as robust as the others that I neglected. They prefer poor soil and don't require regular watering.
DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

June 21, 2010
4:28 PM

Post #7908645

Mine may need more sun. ... or more neglect. LOL. ;>

stillwood

stillwood
Franklinton, NC

June 21, 2010
4:38 PM

Post #7908663

We have the wild passion vine that appeared in our garden on its own several years ago. I like it, but it does have a tendency to move around a lot. When it appears in the wrong place, I pull it up. I have no idea where its original ancestor is growing - we are surrounded by 5 acres of woods, but it came from somewhere.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Carolina Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Helllo Snoutherner 16 Apr 13, 2007 8:22 PM
Beautiful day Rosykay 14 Mar 20, 2009 11:32 PM
Flame azalea spartacusaby 20 Jun 21, 2007 4:17 AM
What is it? CarolinaTracer 6 May 5, 2007 1:05 PM
Hardiness success stories Tropicanna 102 Oct 16, 2007 7:29 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America