Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

Witteman dahlia

Mentor, OH

This is a nighttime shot of a Witteman's Best dahlia from last year. I did a little experiment and didn't pinch any buds just to see if it would produce more but smaller flowers. There were many more flowers on this one than the ones I did pinch but the blooms were the same size( 5" ).

Thumbnail by psudan
Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

OMG..........I want one of those! Here, I usually get only a flower or two at a time because it is too hot. Having that many flowers at the same time would rock......no matter what size they are.

What do you feed those plants?

Mentor, OH

Morgan, I don't recall the name of the fertilizer but it was some type of organic from Lowes. I can't remember if this was two tubers or one tuber with a lot of spouts. They were kind of hard to stake with so many stems and thats why the ones in front appear to be leaning toward the camera. Here is a picture of one that I did pinch.

Thumbnail by psudan
Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

The flower is stunning.....what is the name of the dahlia? And where did you purchase it?

Mentor, OH

This is called a Witteman or Witteman's Best. I bought them most recently from Blooming Bulb and Holland Bulb Farm. HBF just ended a sale. These were five for a little less than nine dollars. The tubers were a little smaller than the ones from BB but they are growing nicely. They don't appear to be a very popular dahlia as I have only seen them for sell at a couple places.

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Oh well.......everybody is out of these.

Your flowers are just gorgeous!

Mentor, OH

Thanks Morgan

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.