Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Container Gardening: cucumber advice

Communities > Forums > Container Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Container GardeningReplies: 5, Views: 134
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
michaelangelo
Brainerd, MN

June 13, 2010
10:28 AM

Post #7884626

I have burpless climbing cucumbers in a large (13 gallon) plastic tub. The leaves look really healthy and the plants is starting to flower although they're not all that big yet -- each tenacle is maybe 12 inches long (but Spring has been very cool here).

1. Should they be flowering this soon (the plant still being fairly small)?

2. You can see in the picture there are two sets of stems, two each. I really don't think there's room on the trellis for all four stems to grow. Would you train two of the stems over the edge and eventually to the ground and the other two up the trellis, or clip away two of the stems altogether? I've used this tub for cucs in the past but think it's only had one (2 at he most) plants in it.

This message was edited Jun 13, 2010 11:47 AM

Thumbnail by michaelangelo
Click the image for an enlarged view.

cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

June 15, 2010
4:28 PM

Post #7891632

I've grown cukes in a container before. Think i had 3 plants in a container. They did ok. I used a homemade tomato cage. They grew up it than down. I'd let them all grow up the trellis.
Wish i had some now.
Vickie
michaelangelo
Brainerd, MN

June 16, 2010
12:32 AM

Post #7892587

And now we've had a lot of rain and it's difficult to shild the plant from so much water. Leaf edges are turning a bit yellow. Is this normal???????
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

June 16, 2010
3:46 AM

Post #7892698

Is your container draining well? The water should be good for them but they don't like standing in water. Are your temps on he cool side? They are'nt crazy about cool weather either. The weather has been crazy here this year.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

June 16, 2010
6:34 AM

Post #7893102

Is it the old leaves turning yellow or new leaves?
michaelangelo
Brainerd, MN

June 19, 2010
10:10 PM

Post #7904322

All leaves are yellowed but just the very very edge. I definitely over-watered them several days ago and then we had two large rain storms. Temps have been cool.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Container Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Growing tomatoes upside down BittysGarden 112 Jul 19, 2009 5:51 AM
Raspberry Plants in Containers MummyOF4dolls 23 Mar 27, 2012 4:00 PM
Flower Pouches? nathalyn 80 Sep 11, 2008 10:49 PM
Growin' bags kwells 53 Aug 24, 2008 3:12 PM
How to make papercrete containers. Tomtom 423 May 5, 2013 3:52 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America