Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Passifloras: Healthy Plant, Climbing Strong NO BUDS!

Communities > Forums > Passifloras
bookmark
Forum: PassiflorasReplies: 34, Views: 279
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
JPlunket
Vieques, PR

June 13, 2010
1:30 PM

Post #7885215

Son Matt bought this NOID passiflora for Karen on Mother's Day, gotta love it. We repotted, using tapla's "woody" mix, a tablespoon of Osmocote spread on the surface, drip-irrigate 1Q/hr, 3 min, 4x a day (plus rain and Karen's daily showering).

Growth has been great --plump lush new stems and leaves, hand-over-hand climb speed, tendril frenzy. The more mature leaves appear a bit mottled, though to me not alarmingly so (see pics 2 and 3).

Any tips or tricks to get the vegetative growth turned down and the bud development turned ON?

This message was edited Jun 13, 2010 4:52 PM

Thumbnail by JPlunket
Click the image for an enlarged view.

JPlunket
Vieques, PR

June 13, 2010
2:04 PM

Post #7885311

Pic #2

See the mottling I noted?

Thumbnail by JPlunket

JPlunket
Vieques, PR

June 13, 2010
2:07 PM

Post #7885316

Pic # 3

Taking the pictures, I see there are also some misshapen leaves, like this one with no lobes, which seems to have a more speckled mottling.

Any chance this indicates a nutritional problem that is also stymying inflorescence.

Thumbnail by JPlunket

JPlunket
Vieques, PR

June 13, 2010
2:23 PM

Post #7885345

Should add: this plant is in Washington, DC, zone ...6b?

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

June 13, 2010
7:24 PM

Post #7886090

One thing may be that if you moved it up in pot size quite a bit it's busy making roots/growth vs. flowers. Careful not to over fertilize also) just a thought...
mj
JPlunket
Vieques, PR

June 14, 2010
5:13 AM

Post #7886839

Thanks, good advice.
Roly0217
Miami, FL
(Zone 10b)

July 5, 2010
11:30 AM

Post #7945082

Any progress on the Passie?? It does seem really healthy. It reminds me of my Lady Margaret. Grows really fast. Did you get blooms yet?
JPlunket
Vieques, PR

July 5, 2010
2:59 PM

Post #7945559

To test the over-fertilization theory, I took off the top layer of soil, where my addition of Osmocote remained and flushed the plant with fresh water two times daily for a week.

Alas, vegetative growth remains strong, but still no buds.

I've previously sworn off "blossom booster" fertilizer, based on advice throughout these forums. However, I may break that oath and try the stuff, since what I tried (combined with regular, profane mutterings in the plant's presence) has not worked.

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 5, 2010
3:37 PM

Post #7945641

JPlunket...I've been know to threaten a plant with the compost pile before ;-)...sometimes it works !
JPlunket
Vieques, PR

July 5, 2010
3:51 PM

Post #7945669

All our plants see right through all my idle threats --they seem to know it'd be ME on the compost heap, thrown there by DW, if I ever followed through.
zostropz
San Diego, CA

July 10, 2010
12:29 PM

Post #7957772

It looks like Belottii, if it is, be patient, the buds with come and it'll go crazy.
Mark
JPlunket
Vieques, PR

July 12, 2010
10:05 AM

Post #7962607

Now I have hope, thanks.

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 12, 2010
6:13 PM

Post #7963729

JP, Middle of summer, you'd "THINK" everything would be going crazy here, but it's not the case. Nighttime temperture's can throw a kink in the works...so to speak, so middle of the summer I look to other plants for bloom fix...but a bit later in summer, and in fall, these babies more than make up for making us so frustrated over the summer...patience...
JPlunket
Vieques, PR

July 17, 2010
11:47 AM

Post #7975852

Finally, a bud!

Bud characteristics may help with ID --looks unusual to me, with only three outer petals?

Thumbnail by JPlunket

JPlunket
Vieques, PR

July 17, 2010
11:50 AM

Post #7975854

Discovered this one bud the day I was about to try Bloom Blaster fertilizer --glad I didn't, since that narrows the explanation of late budding either to a.) specific plant characteristic or b.) finally having flushed enough fertilizer out of the soil.

Any further thoughts on an ID for this passiflora?

Thanks in advance...
carol13
Glen Burnie, MD

August 19, 2010
9:46 AM

Post #8049537

JP - anything new with your vine? I bought 2 Passifloras online from Wayside Gardens. I've had good luck with Wayside before. But this time they arrived looking bad. The one did die. I planted the other in part-shade, up against my front steps. It took a while but then it really took off with the growth. You can practically stand there & watch it grow; BUT - no buds! I lost the tag that came with it but I remember that it is supposedly a new variety with red flowers that only spreads 8-10ft.
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 20, 2010
4:35 AM

Post #8051183

It's the same for me - I have about 5 different varieties of Passiflora - I've only had two blooms on an alata - the rest are huge vines with NO sign of a bloom on them!
JPlunket
Vieques, PR

August 20, 2010
6:14 AM

Post #8051349

Mine has started to bloom --it's an ordinary type, nothing exotic, but has finally reached what I consider a normal level of blooms.

I'm curious to see how it does next year, after I cut it back before the first frost and overwinter it in our pool-bubble rainforest greenhouse ( http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/939786/ ) .
greenpixies
Natchitoches, LA

September 7, 2010
9:28 AM

Post #8085361

Hi! I am relatively new to the website. I am still trying to figure out passion flower vines. I have had luck with one of the popular blue varieties in the ground. I propagated off this one, some 3 years ago and planted it in a very large pot beside a trellis. Every year it grows a little more prolifically, but either no or perhaps 2 or 3 blooms the entire summer. I tend to neglect as I have a huge garden: usually choose 2 or 3 plants to baby each year, and this is not one of them. I wonder if it could be an issue of ph? Does any one know. My plant, like yours looks healthy. It's parent puts out prolific blooms from summer through fall depending (I have decided) on how much damage it received through it's winner die back, and also whether it has too much weed competition. I have not tested ph at either site, but I can almost guarantee the potted passion has very different soil ph than the one in the ground.

Any thoughts?
greenpixies
Natchitoches, LA

September 7, 2010
9:33 AM

Post #8085371

Oops, I should have mentioned that I am in north west Louisiana, zone 8a and both vines die back and resurrect in the late spring.
JPlunket
Vieques, PR

September 11, 2010
12:39 PM

Post #8093149

Pixies,

I'm curious about that question, too --hope someone chimes in.

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

September 11, 2010
2:55 PM

Post #8093351

Well I wish I could give you a "definitive" answer. I have at least 15 different passi's. Some in the ground and some in pots...and honestly, they ALL confuse me ! They bloom when they darn well want too ! For ME, living in Central Florida, we can expect it NOT to bloom in the middle of summer when it's hotter than all get out in the middle of summer at night. They don't like high night time temps.
My soil is for the most part fairly neutral to acid. Pot's or in the ground. A bunch of mine are not setting bud's blooming again after taking the hottest part of summer off. I would test your soil to make sure it's not too far off one way or the other. But IN GENERAL, they are fairly tolerant of a range of PH. Oh...and NEVER EVER over fertilize a Passi ! Half strength, always...
JPlunket
Vieques, PR

September 11, 2010
5:26 PM

Post #8093549

That could have been my mistake --I put Osmocote on it.

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

September 11, 2010
6:05 PM

Post #8093597

Ok, a time release fertilizer might not be so bad, as long as it is not tooooo hot when you put it down. In your zone i shouldn't thing it would be, but I killed a Eucalyptus ( I know this is spelled wrong) tree this spring with a time release. BUT, we had a very strange spring/summer transition. Actually, I have NO clue, I just grow them, and I try to adapt to what I perceive to be their needs.
JPlunket
Vieques, PR

September 12, 2010
6:29 PM

Post #8095566

The subject of this post has produced a grand total of no more than 6 or 8 blossoms.

I think my osmocote may actually have been a second feeding, with the grower having applied some previously, perhaps in the soil mix. That would explain the impressive, though largely vegetative growth.

We'll see if it does better next year. WITH NO FERTILIZER!

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

September 13, 2010
1:57 PM

Post #8097156

I've got four different types of Passis - one in a pot (it was sooo meager when I picked it up) two in their containers (I wasn't sure one was going to make it) and two that are planted. They LOVE clay soil. My 2 Lady Margarets are huge!!! One has spread like crazy and only but never bloomed - but finally has some buds. The second was spreading very well but it's in a high traffic doggie area and is half mutilated - but for some reason it has bloomed profusely all summer. One in a container (the incarnata) I thought died after an unfortunate dog tail dumped the container but evidently the root was fine and has since sprouted and popped a few blooms. My Pura Vida was so little I didn't know what to expect from it. Growth has been slow and the Frits have enjoyed frequenting it to the detriment of the foliage. I had it sitting on the rim of the pool and one of the dogs almost upended it. I guess that was the test! It is now sprouting, budding and blooming like crazy! As for my Incense - it is the Frits second fave and is finally budding for me. I'll have to upload some pictures. :)
carol13
Glen Burnie, MD

September 24, 2010
9:22 PM

Post #8119627

Well, my passi has grown like a weed - huge leaves (some with that mottling), tons of tendrils, NOT ONE BUD! Frustrating. It's planted in the ground, on the north side of the house. How much sun does it need? And do I cut it back at the end of the season (& how far)? I did find a few aphids on it at the beginning of the summer, but only about 10. Right now stink bugs are starting to show up.

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

September 24, 2010
9:55 PM

Post #8119658

Carol - my passis seem to love to sun. The Lady Margaret that got the most sun bloomed most frequently. Since the temps are finally cooling, they are really starting to 'blossom'. You may want to move them to the south side if you can.
JPlunket
Vieques, PR

September 25, 2010
4:29 PM

Post #8120835

Mine blossomed a few times here in NW Washington DC, Carol, but most buds just dried up unopened, despite careful watering and lots of sun --maybe too much sun is a problem.

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

September 25, 2010
5:25 PM

Post #8120909

On consideration, I DO keep the roots either well mulched or out of direct sun. It may be the soil is just too dry. I haven't mulched my incense yet and it's had the most trouble with droop.

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

September 25, 2010
7:07 PM

Post #8121061

If you have it on the north side it most likely is not getting enough sun.

careyana made an excellent point. Passi's like their roots in Shade...which can easily be accomplished by mulching. This also keeps to keep the moisture levels consistent.
carol13
Glen Burnie, MD

October 11, 2010
1:05 PM

Post #8150695

I did finally get 2 blooms (gorgeous deep red with yellow stamens). There appear to be a lot of small buds; a couple of them seem to be growing but others, not. It's been a very weird gardening season, tho. We had a record # of days over 90 & a record # over 100, & nary a drop of rain for weeks. Have had cooler temps lately, (except it's 90 today!), so of course now I have a lot of stuff blooming that was supposed to bloom in August (including a lot of hummingbird stuff & of course the hummers are gone now!). I love my yard & the critters in it, but this gardening stuff can make you NUTS!

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

October 11, 2010
2:20 PM

Post #8150805

Hey carol,
I just noticed your in Glen Burnie, I grew up in Annapolis.
Crazy weather here too, cool nights, low 60's and last week we were in the upper mid-upper 50's, very rare for this time of year. And barely any rain. I think that has been the biggest problem, lack of rain. We just can't "water" like Mother Nature can.
All my passi's are blooming heavily now. No hummer's their gone, but still a ton of Gulf Frit's !

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

October 11, 2010
3:58 PM

Post #8150954

Carol - the east coast had the summer we Texans normally get! We really needed the rain this year so I can't complain about that.
carol13
Glen Burnie, MD

November 2, 2010
5:40 AM

Post #8189936

Ok - so we're headed toward Thanksgiving - night temps in the 30s, days in the 50s - & my passi is bloomin' like crazy! WHAT gives?

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Passifloras Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Is anyone having trouble keeping up with name tags? Tropicman 16 Jul 24, 2007 5:43 AM
Am I blue? Ginger_H 6 Aug 16, 2008 6:19 PM
First passiflora bloom PudgyMudpies 14 Feb 7, 2008 2:28 PM
Pics of your passies, please? AuntB 250 Jul 24, 2007 11:20 AM
Passiflora Amethystina gordo 14 Apr 6, 2007 10:31 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America