Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

Birthday Club The Next Generation

Leesburg, VA(Zone 7a)

Where to start...Back about a year or so ago the birthday club was foundering and we needed a new hostess. Marilyn stepped in and got us back on track and asked that I be a kind of co-hostess. It always helps when someone has your back. I agreed, which puts me in the position I find myself in today. Since Marilyn has withdrawn from the club I guess I am the defacto hostess now. So let's go from here.

There are a lot of great people here on Dave's which is one of the things that makes this a super place to hang out. So having said that I will also say that there is virtually no way to please all of the people all of the time. As my DH will tell you I have a zero tolerance for BS and foolishness. I will not be joining the diplomatic corps in this lifetime. :0)
I am going to set some hard and fast rules for the Birthday Club effective immediately. Hopefully this will allow everyone to play nice together. Since no one seems to want to step up and be the bad guy, I'll do it. I know we will lose some more people, and that some will be upset for one reason or another. But hey, this is the bottom line. This is supposed to be FUN. Not a one of us needs another hassle in our busy, stressed out lives. Everyone here has some cross to bear, some folks carry more than one.

So rule number one is HAVE FUN! If you can't bring a sense of humor or a smile to the party don't come.

Rule number two is about the "gifting" of birthday goodies. New plan that I hope will solve the problems of most of the people with financial issues. All goodies must fall into one of these 3 categories:

1. A handmade or crafted something that you do. Most everyone I know on DG sews, paints, crafts or does some sort of hobby that they could share in some small way with the birthday people. If it is only a handmade card that you can send for $.44 that is terrific. This is not supposed to be about the gifts, but the giving. If any of you have joined thinking that you are going to have some bodacious birthday haul of expensive items, think again.

2. Second category would be plants. Hey we are a gardening forum after all. A lot of folks have extras or starts or cuttings. Send what you can afford to ship.

3. Gift cards for plants, or gardening related items or anything else that people have mentioned in their wishlists. I am not going to set an amount. Make it whatever your budget allows. Once again it is about the thought and the effort. There has been discussion of using the gift card idea and people thought that wasn't fair for the birthday person to have to pay shipping on their own gift. Seriously now, how many of you are going to go to Bluestone or Almost Eden and just get a couple of things? Come on. If you are going to go shopping there you are probably going to spend more than the gift card anyway so the shipping is just part of that. Anyone that does crafts would love a card to Micheals or JoAnns etc. I know I would. Keep in mind a lot of gift cards can be done online eliminating the postage issue all together.

Now that we have the ground rules set I encourage everyone to go to the New Likes and Dislikes link and adjust their posts accordingly. List your plant wants. List the places you like to shop or would like a gift card from.

If anyone has huge issues with this please dmail me personally so we can avoid a shooting match on the thread. I would like for everyone to check in giving me a "Yes I want to stay on the list" or a "Get real, take me off" by Friday June 18. At that time I will update the list. Depending on what happens when the dust settles I'll make a determination about whether we are going forward or not. The new rules will be added to the top of each new thread so new folks will know where they stand before they ever join.

Thanks to everyone that has been a part of this fun group over the years. Let's try to have many more years together.

Juanita
aka as Neener
or probably after this post "The Old Blonde With the Big Mouth." :))

Rouxcrew (Joy) Jan. 15
ClanCampbell (Chris) Feb.28
FruitoftheVine- (Susan) April 9
Janaestone - (Dianae) April 12
Sissy70 - (Judy) April 16
Marti001 (Mary) April 17
momoftwo607 (Erin) May 6
Gardenchick1982 (Becky) May 27
Purpbutfly (Cindy) May 27
Polyacre (Paula) August 14
GAgirl1066 (Paula) Sept. 1
Barhea7 (Bre) Sept 7
Diamond9192002 (Anita) Sept. 19
Ddbydeb (Deb) Sept. 22
Ridesredmule (Charlene) Oct. 1
Rvnsbrk - (Juanita) Oct 9
Hope43 (Hope) Dec. 28

New Likes/ Wants Thread

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1107561/

This message was edited Jun 15, 2010 3:45 PM

This message was edited Jun 18, 2010 7:40 AM

Thumbnail by rvnsbrk
Henderson, NC(Zone 7b)

Very well said Nita. Hope the "New " club will be fun and happy.
AYF, Faye

Nineveh, NY(Zone 5a)

I am staying. I don't do much crafting cuz my two toddlers limit that. LOL. But I do have plants to share and maybe a painted rock or two! =)

Erin

Blackshear, GA

Hi Neener (OBWBM) LOL

I am still in. Haven't posted much lately, been gone alot and in the garden alot!! Now its starting the 115 with humidity, so that limits my outside time, so maybe I will have more time to post.

Hello everyone!!

(Bre) Sellersville, PA(Zone 7a)

I am staying :) I like the new rules and the new host, though like I said on the last board, Marylin, I will miss you dearly!!

Nineveh, NY(Zone 5a)

Hey Bre, my oxalis you sent me has bloomed. It's beautiful , I love it. The kids think its neat how the leaves fold up at night too!

Erin

Tulsa, OK(Zone 7a)

you know i'am,but i could not understand deejay's post shes still in or?? i try to do my very best to please hope i have. everyone far as i know have been very nice and keep up the swaps.

Rushville, IN(Zone 5b)

Im still in if I have missed anyone please let me know
sissy70--Judy

(susie) Hastings, MI(Zone 5a)

FairWell & Best Wishes To You All

This message was edited Jun 14, 2010 6:52 AM

Blue Ridge Mtns, VA(Zone 7a)

Neener, I'm staying too and really like your new rules, especially the one that says we can share plants. I wouldn't take anything for the gifts so many of you have shared with me, but this is after all a Gardening Site.

GAgirl, the last few days here in the 90's with horrible humidity don't compare to what you're going through. It feels more like August than June. Would zapped be a good word for how you're feeling?

Edited to say my hard drive crashed today and am using Hubby's laptop. Live is still good since I'm able to stay in touch with you all.....even if it is a bent curve with my big fingers typing on a tiny keyboard.

This message was edited Jun 13, 2010 9:07 PM

(Di) Seven Mile, OH(Zone 6b)

Well, I'm brand new anyway so the rules are fine and I'm still in. Today we had a bit of a breather here in southwest Ohio. It was only 88 (LOL) but not near as much humidity as yesterday and Friday. We had to go to a neighbor girl's grad party yesterday - it was like walking through a heavy, wet blanket with steam coming off of it. We don't usually get this type of stuff until July and we've had it for weeks here...but, better than snow!

Marilyn Glen st. Mar, FL(Zone 9a)

Neener, I say you are off to a great start! I agree with your new rules and hopefully I will be able to come back and join some day, but it won't be for quite a while.
You go girl! You have my total support, but then you always have and you know that. :)
Everyone else, you have a great time here.
Bre I will miss you too, but like I've told Neener, I will continue to check in on you all and post when I can.
((((((((((((((((hugs)))))))))))))) to all.

(Becky) Gresham, OR(Zone 8a)

I am still in, the thought is what counts and someone taking the time to say "happy birthday"
Do we have new june bdays not on the list?

I'm so sad you're leaving, Marilyn, but understand. You've been at the helm for the last year, and took the reigns from someone else, and you have served us proudly as a perfect hostes. Pllease check in when you can, and you can always D-mail me or send a regular email.

Edited to say "I'm already missing you! "

This message was edited Jun 13, 2010 10:29 PM

Summerville, SC(Zone 9b)

Count me still in. Going crazy but in I swear it is my month to be sick I guess jeesh! First bronchitis now the 6 mm kidney stone I still still have not passed! So Bill is taking off and taking me to my appt at the uroligist tommorow.We will see what comes next.
Least I have stuff made up for the May gals now and ready to send and and working on June. Plus have all my other swaps done too!My garden misses me too *sighs* I go out and work a bit but the heat is taking its toll on me when I try to go out and work in it, while I fight whatever infection I have gotten along with this kideny stone. it figures I would get sick when studetns are signign up and I have to cancel the classes LOL!
My Pepino cukes are going crazy along the fence and some bug had eaten up 3 of my big squash plants. They got into the stem and ate em up :(. At tleast ther is till time to start a new set of plants from seed.
Take Care everyone!
Deb

(Joy) Hempstead, TX(Zone 8b)

Moo, Neener, I am still in. Setting records for heat these last few days but the garden is doing well. Just picked a mystery squash/gourd and now I am really confused. They look like 8 ball zuchini but this one is huge and reminds me of a gourd. Guess I will cut it open tomorrow and see what it looks like inside.

Tomatoes are getting huge, both the plants and the 'maters. picked 10# this afternoon with 9 tomatoes.

Joy

Thumbnail by rouxcrew
Nineveh, NY(Zone 5a)

Becky, we didn't have any June bdays in the last thread. I guess we will have to wait and see if we do this time around! =)

Erin

Leesburg, VA(Zone 7a)

I'm so glad my post didn't blow up the world here. Enough of that going on. Let me get the list back up top and we'll go from there. I should have made an extra space for that huh?? Leave it to me to screw the pooch..

Love you guys and thanks for staying.

Neener

(Chris) Des Moines, IA(Zone 5a)

I was gone this past weekend and didn't get on the computer.. come back and find Marilyn leaving us :( I hate when life does this stuff to us!

Marilyn, I'm glad that you're going to stop by and visit from time to time.. would miss your smiling face.. and by the way, where's the pics of the new haircut??? ^_^

I'm still here.. count me in please :)

Somerset, KY(Zone 6b)

Hi everyone. I'm still out here lurking!!! Our computer crashed so am offline til end of the month. I will be coming to the library on Monday's and Thursdays to check in. My finances are begining to settle down and will be able to keep up with my trades and bday gifts. I still owe some and will be them done this month. So hang in there and don't throw me out of the club. OK???

Marti

(Joy) Hempstead, TX(Zone 8b)

Glad to know things are looking up Marti, we have missed you!

Looks like summer will be quiet on the list, maybe I will start on September's early, and I will get to hand deliver Neener's gift when I am in VA in September!!!!!!

Joy

(Cindy) Auburn, CA(Zone 10a)

Hi Ladies,

As of right now I am still in. I love the new rules!!! And Marilyn you will be missed. I probably won't be on much in the next few weeks. Taking care of my 83 year old mother who just had a total knee replacement done plus trying to keep up yard work and putting in 250 gallon fish pond.

With that said I need to get my buns in gear it is going to be 88 today

LOVE YA ALL!!!!!

Prayers out to your grandma cindy
I got some wonderful cards and gifts in the mail today. Thank you Neener and sissy70 they just made my day.

Um it is my mom, lol not grandma.

Leesburg, VA(Zone 7a)

Glad you all are staying!! OOOOOO Joy I can't wait for September. I'm trying to get Fruity up here too so we can have a hen party.

I already miss Marilyn, but the circle of life is always in motion.

Chris and Marti glad you checked in. Some of the folks on the list haven't been around for a while so I may dmail them the note up top and find out what's up.

Rushville, IN(Zone 5b)

hi everyone glad to still be in this club your friend and sissy70

Can you hear me clucking? I can't wait to see you again, Neener, and meet you, Joy!

I have noticed that Rainy jane has not been around. I do recall somewhere she was having some health problems. Does anyone know how she is?

Leesburg, VA(Zone 7a)

I'll try contacting her Cindy. I have her regular email.

(Chris) Des Moines, IA(Zone 5a)

Jane dmailed me on the 6th and said that her PC has crashed, so she doesn't get online much right now. But she also said to tell everyone not to give up on her (this was the windchime swap) cause she would be back eventually.
She didn't mention anything about her health, so hopefully that's all taken care of now!

Nineveh, NY(Zone 5a)

Need some bday ideas from the september girls. If you could let me know or post on the new likes/wants thread.

Thanks,Erin =)

Leesburg, VA(Zone 7a)

Thanks Chris! I emailed her this morning too.

The weather here is ridiculous. Yesterday it was 200 degrees in the shade and today it is cool and rainy. It needs to make up it's mind.

Alas another day gone and I am trying to figure out where it went and what got accomplished. My productivity window seems to be shrinking. I used to be good for 12 hours or so. Now I'm lucky if I can started by 9AM and by 2 or so I've lost focus. When did I get so old? :))

Thumbnail by rvnsbrk
Blackshear, GA

Oh Neener, it was all of 300 degrees down here. Why can't someone invent an A/C gardening suit? We could work all day in a nice 72 degree suit. LOL My day is totally shot. Spent the whole morning and some, putting up a bushel each of zipper peas, butter peas, speckled butterbeans, green butterbeans, white acre. I am tired, but at least I have food in the freezer.

Rapid City, SD(Zone 4b)

Hello all !!! Stopped by to join in the Birthday Club !! Look's fun!! And just a side note........ I have been trying to send all this crappy cool weather somewhere else besides here !!! Hard to believe that today is the FIRST day we are to get into the 80's. Yesterday we had a fire in the fireplace!!! Maybe summer has arrived here for me !!
Looking forward too all the fun!!

Happy Gardening!

Paula

Nineveh, NY(Zone 5a)

Welcome Paula! Whens your birthday?

Erin

Blackshear, GA

Yea, another Paula!

Welcome,
Paula - GAgirl1066

Rapid City, SD(Zone 4b)

Erin... Thank you ! Birthday is August 14..

Hey Hey Paula !!! Thanks

Leesburg, VA(Zone 7a)

Welcome to our newest member Paula. I've added her to the list. The more the merrier I saw. With the new rules it will be a lot of fun.

Paula in GA, that sounds like a lot of beans to do. I bet you are tired. Did you have to shell all those by yourself? We eat a lot of beans here, but not having a vegetable garden I use dried or canned. i bet fresh would be a lot better.

welcome paula glad to have ya

Man I can't believe the temps you peeps are having. We were 88 yesterday and today it is 75, we will be in the low 80's the rest of this week.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.