Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Japanese Maples: Any good info/links on pruning?

Communities > Forums > Japanese Maples
bookmark
Forum: Japanese MaplesReplies: 1, Views: 42
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
markblanchard13
Camp Hill, PA

June 13, 2010
8:34 PM

Post #7886288

I figure they're too young now, but my next educational mission is pruning for aesthetic purposes and keeping them a manageable size in a container. I'm not necessarily interested in pruning for Bonsai, but I'd assume the technique is somewhat similar, and would like to learn a bit about Bonsai as well.

If you know if any tips, tricks, advise, experiences (good or bad) techniques or links on how to prune JM's, please share!

Thanks,
Mark

Thumbnail by markblanchard13
Click the image for an enlarged view.

GardenSox
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

June 14, 2010
9:24 AM

Post #7887482

We do have a bonsai forum here on DG. I take a look over there now and then. I don't recall seeing a lot of JM bonsai advice there but it could be worth a look anyhow.

I have most of my JMs in pots and I do prune occassionally but for the most part I just prune them like I would most other trees - I remove crossing branches or any that grow straight up or straight down. I also like to "limb up" the upright growing JMs I have because I prefer that look to the bushier look.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Japanese Maples Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
My Japanese maple Ginger_H 6 Sep 13, 2008 11:19 PM
Threadleaf Japanese Maple hczone6 6 Mar 1, 2010 1:36 AM
MY jm's that survived and thrived last winter zone 5b Davidsan 38 Feb 26, 2010 12:05 AM
Largosmom's Japanese Maples largosmom 62 Nov 22, 2007 8:55 PM
Can you tell me what kind this is? nikki_conway 23 Apr 17, 2008 1:38 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America