Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: Does Money Grow On Trees?: Different Varieties of Lunaria

Communities > Forums > Article: Does Money Grow On Trees?
bookmark
Forum: Article: Does Money Grow On Trees?Replies: 14, Views: 102
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
gardadore
Saylorsburg, PA
(Zone 6a)

June 14, 2010
5:26 AM

Post #7886868

Different varieties are now available! I love Lunaria and have been growing it ever since we bought our home over 40 years ago. It reseeds every year and I never know where it will pop up and add wonderful spring blooms. I have always had the "regular" variety which blooms either reddish purple or white. I have isolated some of the white in one of the veggie gardens to make sure I always have some. In addition there are two variegated varieties, one blooms more a pinkish purple and the other supposedly white. I just started the white seeds for the first time so will see how they turn out next year. The variegated ones are spectacular because of the leaves which only display the variegation the year they bloom (second year). The leaves actually shimmer.
Then there is a very special one I got seeds from at Barnsley House in England where Rosemary Verey's son (she was a very well known gardener and Barnsley House was on most garden tour trips) gave me some seeds. The leaves are mottled dark purple and green and the flowers are a brighter red purple compared to the regular ones. In a mass they look fabulous. I have finally gotten them going so there is an annual bloom.
Lunaria seem to do well in shade and part shade so if some of you are having problems in hotter climates you might have luck sowing them in a shadier spot.
If there are other varieties I have not heard of please let me know!
Great article.
teacher678
West Hempstead, NY

June 14, 2010
5:36 AM

Post #7886884

I have been growing these for years,from my grandmother originally. I spray them gold at Christmas ans use them in my natural decorations. If you wish seeds in the fall, email me at mrslilli678@aol.com
gardadore
Saylorsburg, PA
(Zone 6a)

June 14, 2010
6:01 AM

Post #7886939

What kind of variety are they? The regular old fashioned green leaves with purple flowers or are these really different? All my regulars self-sow and now the pink variegated and Barnsley varieties are self-sowing. Would love seeds if yours are different from the norm! Thanks!
judygaspar
Rock Rapids, IA

June 14, 2010
6:36 AM

Post #7887004

will these grow in zone 5? If so I would love to know where to get some seeds.
Annepaola
Manahawkin, NJ
(Zone 7a)

June 14, 2010
8:57 AM

Post #7887416

I enjoyed the article especially since I too had a "frugal" Dad, and am now glad I did since I learned a lot. Lunaria is my most favorite plant I think, and I have a million of them growing everywhere in my rustic yard. This time of year I pull out some of the puny ones and allow the strong ones to go to maturity. I usually sit in the midst of the yard and peel the pods, very therapuetic! The funny thing about this plant is that many people to whom I give seeds have no sucess in growing them, while I have had them come up in porch carpets.

But I am facinated to learn that there are varigated and other forms. I must search for some seed this summer. I will appreciate any leads for unusual forms of Lunaria. Thank you.
gardadore
Saylorsburg, PA
(Zone 6a)

June 15, 2010
9:20 AM

Post #7890553

They should grow in Zone 5, Judygaspar!

Here are a couple of links so you can see what some of these different varieties look like. The first link is to Annie's Annuals which sells only the plants as far as I know but you get a great photo of the Rosemary Verey Lunaria (the one I got at her home Barnsley House. Not sure where to purchase it.
http://www.anniesannuals.com/plants/plant_display.asp?prodid=628&account=none

The second link is to Summerhill seeds where I got the White Variegated seeds. I am growing the seedlings now for the first time and hope these bloom next year. They are sold out at the moment but will surely have them available in the fall or winter for next year:
http://summerhillseeds.com/lunaria-variegated-white-blooms-p-39.html

I originally got the pink variegated from Select Seeds but they don't seem to be carrying it this year and I don't find it anywhere at the moment online!

I would be willing to share some seeds from the Rosemary Verey and the pink variegated as long as I am not inundated with too many requests. Those on this thread who have expressed an interest in finding these seeds would get first choice. Please d-mail me your addresses and I will send them to you once they have been harvested. That should be in a month or two - maybe longer till I am sure they are dry.

Please understand that when you send your request you are agreeing not to use the Rosemary Verey (Barnsley House) seeds for any commercial venture nor give them to anyone to use that way. I am happy to spread the joy of these magnificent plants strictly for personal pleasure!!
Jessica

This message was edited Jun 15, 2010 12:21 PM
Annepaola
Manahawkin, NJ
(Zone 7a)

June 18, 2010
12:20 PM

Post #7899883

I would be very grateful for a few seeds that you are offering. My email is lakepaola@verizon.net. Thank you. I also appeciate the information on the two seed vendors and have signed up to get information from them about getting plants/seeds as available. Again thank you.
gardadore
Saylorsburg, PA
(Zone 6a)

June 18, 2010
4:18 PM

Post #7900789

Annepaola,

I will add you to my list and d-mail you for your address when the seeds are ready!

Jessica
Liquidambar2
Mount Vernon, KY

June 18, 2010
8:30 PM

Post #7901597

Does this plant have orange paper like balloon like blooms?
I thought I had this plant for years, it would bloom a real pretty - in the summer - things that would be great for a fall decorations but never developed into the pretty things I see in the picture. Is there a kind of lunaria like that?
gardadore
Saylorsburg, PA
(Zone 6a)

June 18, 2010
9:49 PM

Post #7901764

I think you are talking about a plant I know as Chinese Lanterns. Lunaria has flower blooms and then forms flat silver dollar sized seed "pods" which peel off on both sides to leave shimmery, pearl circles containing the seeds which fall off. I found somewhere on the net a lunaria that is more a shimmery bronze but Lunaria do not form balloon like blooms.
Go to http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/794/ to see photos of the flowers and the seed pods of lunaria.

This message was edited Jun 19, 2010 11:19 AM
Liquidambar2
Mount Vernon, KY

June 19, 2010
4:07 AM

Post #7901934

Thanks,
You are correct that is what they called it.
But for some reason, I kept thinking they also formed those pretty silver pearl things.
Of course it never did.
I probably planted the 2 different seeds pkts side by side or something like that, and forgot the chinese lanterns and just remembered I planted the money tree.

See what happens when your mind goes.

gardadore
Saylorsburg, PA
(Zone 6a)

June 19, 2010
8:21 AM

Post #7902442

Join the crowd! LOL!!! My husband always jokes with me that when my mind gets REALLY bad (i.e worse!) he will just lock the gate to the fence around our house (to keep the deer out) and let me play in the dirt. He won't have to worry about me wandering away and I will be content!!!!
Liquidambar2
Mount Vernon, KY

June 19, 2010
3:23 PM

Post #7903433

Sounds better than an institution or a nursing home.
but again thanks for putting me straight.
mickeee
San Diego, CA

June 22, 2010
5:16 AM

Post #7909594

Hi!
I 've been looking for "money plant" seeds...my mother used to have an arrangement of them in a vase that inspired many a childhood fairy tale when I was little. If you know of anyone who has them, or if you have any you can share, I would be forever grateful...I am new to this site, just stumbled on to it while browsing around about plants. What a great site! Thanks for your help!
My email is mickeeec@gmail.com
gardadore
Saylorsburg, PA
(Zone 6a)

June 22, 2010
4:36 PM

Post #7911319

Mickeee,

You are added to my list!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Does Money Grow On Trees? Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Wonderful Lunaria Jax4ever 13 Sep 24, 2007 4:31 PM
Lunaria Sass10 1 Sep 24, 2007 12:07 AM
The Money Tree pupilpropogtr 1 Sep 25, 2007 10:09 AM
THE MONEY TREE FLASHKY 4 Jun 19, 2010 3:21 PM
ELEPHANT EARS...LEAVE OUT OR TAKE IN KY FLASHKY 2 Aug 24, 2010 11:01 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America