-
AuthorContent
gailelaine
Baylis, IL
(Zone 6a)

June 14, 2010
6:36 AM

Post #7887007

I am a new "pondie". I have been given lotus tubers. One of them has leaves and flower pods. The person who gave them to me has had the lotus 8 years. She said all she does is put the tubers on the bottom of her pond and weight them down with a rock. It has worked for her all of these years. Would like to hear from other folks on this method. She does her lilies the same way.
FrillyLily
springfield area, MO
(Zone 5b)

June 14, 2010
7:32 AM

Post #7887189

that would be awesome, no potting dividing, lifting those heavy pots. Does she have a liner in her pond or earth bottom?
gailelaine
Baylis, IL
(Zone 6a)

June 14, 2010
9:15 AM

Post #7887457

No it is a rubber liner. but there is a thin layer of dirt I guess from blowing and such over the years. I am going to give it a try. Another friend is going to give it a try with her miniature cattails.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

June 18, 2010
9:44 AM

Post #7899426

Lotus are amazing plants. I grew up watching them from the tropic-region. I live in zone 7b now, and these plants had (in a half wiskey barrel-size tub) gone through some serious frosts biten winters, and still faithfully sending out flowers each year. They're heavy feeder (in early spring), the only requirement these have is sun, more sun then plus some. It's a good thing that the person shared with your those tubers have had them for a number of years. I've a pond, but these definately won't thrive there since my pond is in the shade. Also, fish (kois and goldfish, shabunkins) in the pond will eat the tubers if you've any fish in your pond.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Click the image for an enlarged view.

FrillyLily
springfield area, MO
(Zone 5b)

June 18, 2010
10:03 AM

Post #7899485

I have fish in my pond, but my lilies are potted, I don't have any trouble with them eating the stems leaves though. But they are not lotus, just the regular water lilies.
If you pot the lotus, will the fish eat them?

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

June 18, 2010
10:44 AM

Post #7899597

As long as the 'tender' roots and tubers are in some sort of barrier where the fish can't get to them, then they're 'safe'. I have Lizard's tails and water Iris (Lousiana Iris) in the pond, they are in basket, and tolderate some nibbing by fish and such, but they survive okay and will bloom in the shade. My water lilies and Lotus require alot more of sun (in order to bloom)...so sun/shade is a major issue. Others are minor problems that we can work around them. Good lucks.
gailelaine
Baylis, IL
(Zone 6a)

June 18, 2010
1:35 PM

Post #7900290

Great getting input from all of you. The gal that had these lotus. Had a white gold fish in the pond that had to be 10inches long! There were smaller gold fish but that white one was awesome!

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

June 18, 2010
2:18 PM

Post #7900406

Good lucks, happy ponding. :-)
Bye for now.
HHSmyth
Woodstock ON
Canada

August 7, 2010
8:17 PM

Post #8025826

In regards to Lotus and sun... Mine gets sun from just after 9am to about 3pm. It is it's first year. Leaves are small.

When I first put lilies in the pond they didn't seem to like only -6 hours of sun a day and didn't flower for the first year or so but seem to have adjusted and now bloom just fine. Took a few years.

Does anyone think the lotus will react the same way and get adjusted to the less than 6hrs of sun - Thankfully it does get it sun in the main part of the day.

Thanks,
Heather
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

August 8, 2010
5:18 AM

Post #8026193

Lotus really do need s full day's worth of sun for blooming. If you like the leaves and aren't concerned with their blooms, they can take a bit of shade Not all of mine get sun the entire day, and although the shady ones don't bloom very often, the leaves are still the size of a dinner plate and 4 feet tall.
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

August 8, 2010
5:25 AM

Post #8026208

My lotus is in a big tub but had gotten huge. I had 7 blooms this year . It is a noid , lost the tag but it does not bother me. In fact I bought several water lilies this year and did not put tags.. Belle

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Water Gardens Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Lotus/Kitty Litter Mardell 36 Jun 21, 2011 5:29 AM
This is my waterpond before we started the new construction! TraciS 9 Feb 19, 2008 1:35 PM
No Pump Water Garden gardening101usa 4 Mar 12, 2007 5:50 PM
Easy and inexpensive pond... BigDaddy99 85 Aug 8, 2008 11:05 PM
How many ponders are out there ?? List your names - Update! judycooksey 361 Jun 7, 2014 5:30 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America