Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
cathylovesroses
Littleton, CO

June 14, 2010
11:40 AM

Post #7887862

I have several patches of 4 foot tall bright orange oriental poppies that were in full bloom when two rain storms and two hail storms hit this weekend. Now the petals are on the ground, and the plants are sprawled widely on the ground. Can I cut the whole plant, including the stems with seed pods, back to a couple inches from the ground now without hurting the plant? I have dahlias that are ready to plant in between the poppies. I usually wait until July to cut the poppies back, and I get a small second bloom in the fall. Thanks.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Bedford, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 14, 2010
1:10 PM

Post #7888150

I always leave the seed pods just in case they might seed a new plant, but I don't think you'd jeopardize your second bloom by cutting back now. Just my opinion.
Pippi21
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 6b)

July 2, 2010
11:31 PM

Post #7939567

Don't laugh at this story but years ago somebody gave my neighbor a very young white dogwood tree that they dug up from a field or woods. After planting it, somehow one very tender limb broke, and my friend got scotch tape and taped that limb and we often laugh about that now because the tree is grown and still blooms every year beautifully. Now I haven't got up close enough or high enough to see if her scotch tape is still on that limb after all those years, but try scotch taping your stems together, see what happens. If you don't want to do that, if there are seed pods there, why not lay them on the ground and let Mother Nature do her job. Would be interesting to see what happens. Would the birds or squirrels get the seed pods?
cathylovesroses
Littleton, CO

July 3, 2010
2:05 PM

Post #7940811

Are you kidding? Of course I'll laugh at that story. Cute.

I always cut the poppies back to the ground and throw out the pods because I plant dahlias in between the poppies. I wait until the poppies bloom and look pretty dead. Here I was cutting them back fresh and full of juice. We'll see what happens.

I grow lots of antique roses and leave the hips on for the birds. I've had squirrels munch on my tomaatoes. I found teeth marks in some last year.

I have 3 big dogs and th ebirda don't like to visit them too much.
Pippi21
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 6b)

July 16, 2010
11:17 AM

Post #7973130

I wintersowed some Brilllant red oriental poppies but only one plant has bloomed. Various people have written about how to gather the poppy seed and there are no blooms left so I just cut back the dried stems, and took one of the pods going over what people have written and I finally figured out how to gather those seeds. They are so tiny, I just threw them on the ground, to see if they will reproduce more plants. Some of the seed pods weren't quite ready yet so I threw them on the ground too. Figure the sun will ripen them and hopefully they'll join the others and produce more poppies for me. I hope what I did was the correct way.
cathylovesroses
Littleton, CO

July 16, 2010
2:32 PM

Post #7973607

I have heard that an easy way to produce more hollyhocks is to bury a length of stem and seed pods right underneath the ground Why not bury some dried poppy seed pods? See what happens?

Cathy.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Bedford, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 19, 2010
9:11 AM

Post #7980535

Considering that all the all the ingredients are free, you don't have a lot to lose. :)
Pippi21
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 6b)

May 26, 2011
10:18 AM

Post #8588494

Does anybody surround their poppy plants with a plant support ring(Metal ring)? We had hard rains last week and the poppy plants have been kind of flatten almost to the ground but the plant itself is loaded with buds that are about to bloom so I'm leaving it like it is. My thoughts next year is when the poppy plants starts growing in early Spring, is to put one of those plant rings over it and the stem/buds and leaves can grow through it. Would have to find or make a lower version. I need to do that with my "Becky" shasta daisies next year.

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

May 27, 2011
1:48 AM

Post #8590099

Yes I use plant supports for my O poppies. Be sure to get them is a size that will allow air to get to the plant or you may have leaves rotting .
Miles Kimble has some reasonable ones. I dont personally like the tall peony supports and use just the single ring.
I also have some "grothru" supports that are quite old. I like them because the legs are attached. The newer versions have legs that twist on to the edge somehow.
I havn't learned that trick so some legs are useless.

This photo shows the ring type I preferr.Sorry I cant remember where I got it 15 years ago.

Thumbnail by ge1836
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Pippi21
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 6b)

May 27, 2011
4:30 PM

Post #8591413

Thank You for your reply. I have had such pleasure seeing these poppy plants bloom this week. Poppies don't last long, do they or hold up under hot temps? I bought some rings last year or year before last to put my garden phlox through and their "legs" are a pain to figure out how to put on and don't seem to stand up right. I like that style you have. It looks like it would be greater support than the ones I have. Will do some internet searching. Probably can find them at greenhouse megastore..or whatever the name of that place is. can't seem to remember its correct name. I've ordered nursery pots,etc. from them before.
LeeValley catalog has some nice ones but I feel they are a bit pricey..What other flowers do you use those rings on besides peonies and poppies?

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

May 28, 2011
3:13 AM

Post #8592197

I have not found that style of ring in years.The ones with legs attached.
I have used them for poppies mostly. I leave them in the ground all year ,so in spring when plants start I coax the fast growing leaves thru and dont risk breaking leaves or stems.
I had a post on another forum for supports for nepetas. Someone said they used upside down tomato cages with legs cut off at the right height.
Supports are expensive for sure.
Pippi21
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 6b)

May 31, 2011
4:54 AM

Post #8598654

I "think" some of my seed pods are starting to release seeds but yet the bulb is not turning from green to the light beige/brown. The top of the poppy bulb is brown, but the bulb is still green and something is being released on outside. They look like maybe seeds and something else that is brown and hairy looking and sticky. I cut about 5 or 6 and have laid them inside a white coffee filter to dry more. I looked at pictures of poppy bulbs that have turned but mine aren't like that. If I leave them into that coffee filter, will they dry up and release the seeds? Or am I jumping the gun all together? Is that sticky stuff that looks like seeds on the outside of that green bulb the seeds starting to escape?
Pippi21
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 6b)

May 31, 2011
4:55 AM

Post #8598658

I realize that my description may not be accurate, but this is only way I know how to describe it since I don't know how to post pictures.

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

May 31, 2011
4:57 AM

Post #8598663

Jumping the gun I think.We all suffer the same malady until ,at least in my case,I loose so much for not having patience I just wait.
You sound like your dealing with Oriental poppies.
Pippi21
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 6b)

May 31, 2011
6:46 AM

Post #8598836

Yep, they are Brilliant red oriental poppies. If I leave what I cut off in the sun, will they still burst open when ready?

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

May 31, 2011
7:00 AM

Post #8598864

I dont really know if the premature seeds will germinate.
Dont cut the rest of the seedpods and if you have to tie a bag over them so seeds wont spill.
I always understood the pode need to mature natuerlly as well as seeds in them. I am not an expert in these matters as far as OP's are concerned.
I did learn a hard lesson with annual poppies. Seeds didnt ripen because I took them out of the pod before they were black. I lost a crop of annual poppies I had never seen and havnt seen since.
Gardeners all seem to be impetient, guess its the long winters.
Me included.
Pippi21
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 6b)

May 31, 2011
9:38 AM

Post #8599262

Seems like I read one time on one of the gardening websites that after the poppies bloom, this person bought some type of organiza bags from Walmart in craft section and tied it on that pod so when it exploded, the seeds would drop into it. The secret is getting it tied tight on that pod and around the plant stem so that no seeds escape. I bet if one could make same type of similar bag out of nylon net; would that work? The neighbors will think I've flipped for sure seeing that! LOL!

carrielamont

carrielamont
Bedford, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 31, 2011
1:26 PM

Post #8599632

Sounds like bridal favor bags! You can get em online at Oriental Trading Co. or really any do-it-yourself wedding site.
Pippi21
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 6b)

May 31, 2011
3:24 PM

Post #8599801

Don't laugh but I had a pr. of knee highs that I didn't like because the elastic always rolled down on me. I decided to experiment a bit. I have cut the one knee high in half and tied it tight with green garden yarn. I think it I economize, one knee high will cover 3 seed pods. With the nylon stocking they will get sunlight which will aid in the riping of those seeds, I would think. When I know that pod has opened, I will cut the stem off below the nylon knee high, turn it upside down and let the seeds drop out of the stocking onto a white coffee filter. Does this make sense or do you think it will work. Right now, it's making sense to me but sometimes it pays to have somebody else's opinion and thoughts.

I found this idea on Pacific Northwest gardening forum. The title of the posted message is :
OK..about seeds..Check it out. It's good to look at other zones forums besides the one you live in.
Pippi21
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 6b)

May 31, 2011
3:28 PM

Post #8599807

Over at Pacific Northwest gardening forum..Patti47 was the poster that suggested the organza bags that are found in craft stores or on wedding/bridal favors website. Those organza bags are too pretty to use on gathering seeds. The site Patti47 or somebody mentions has a lot of other items that can be used.
Pippi21
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 6b)

June 1, 2011
3:40 PM

Post #8602226

Carrie,
I forgot OT carries Wedding/bridal favors. Thanks for the lead.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Poppies Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Poppy reference sources (and pictures too) balvenie 29 Oct 7, 2009 11:38 PM
Oriental poppies - seed or root stock? ghia_girl 15 Jun 22, 2010 12:12 AM
Starting to grow mrpoppy 3 Mar 6, 2007 12:46 AM
Meconopsis from seed picante 42 Oct 12, 2008 7:15 PM
7b-ers who are going to sow soon sublimaze1 7 Mar 9, 2007 7:36 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America