Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
oldkate
Hillsboro, OH

June 15, 2010
3:58 AM

Post #7889844

and a handsome feller! We're lucky to have butterfly weed growing in my area; it seems to do better with good drainage. There are still many varieties of butterflies that will come to the blooms later on, but the honeybees that used to flock to it are in short supply.

Glad you had a good trip "home" a couple of weeks ago and now are back going after all those weeds in the garden - I think it will be a fine year for daylilies! and I look forward to the butterfly weed bloom.
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

June 15, 2010
6:42 AM

Post #7890136

Hi Kate...

The trip was good for me, and the daylilies were in massive bloom when I got home. I just came in from an early hour of deadheading, but they sure are pretty. It's my daylily parade all over again.

I am missing the bees, too, but we seem to have a great supply of butterflies already.

Thanks!
Elena
Middle, TN
(Zone 6b)

June 15, 2010
6:42 AM

Post #7890137

I got some butterfly seeds one year in a seed trade and had the plants for several years. I hadn't thought about that in a long time. Guess I better scour the hills for some more seeds, huh? Bruce probably still tells everyone he meets about the pretty curly haired girl in KY. It is a wonder that he didn't come back and fake an attack of some kind to get that special treatment that you and your aunt were so well noted for providing. By the way, did any of that stuff you were always working with turn your hair curly? You might be able to market it to us straight haired folks if you think it might have caused it. NAH! Don't reckon it was anything but really good genes.
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

June 15, 2010
6:56 AM

Post #7890160

My mother no doubt tried everything she could find in an attempt to 'uncurly' my hair...but it's always had a mind of its own. Sorry, Elena, can't help you on that score.

I do remember one time telling my mother that maybe she could put starch on it. Starch seemed to straighten everything else.

Mom never did listen to me, though...
And probably that's a good thing.

irisMA

irisMA
South Hamilton, MA

June 15, 2010
7:17 AM

Post #7890227

It's well known that handsome men are taken care of more easily by curly haired nurses.
Elena
Middle, TN
(Zone 6b)

June 15, 2010
7:20 AM

Post #7890237

Yeah. That is a point well taken. I just never wanted to have to put my finger in the electrical socket to achieve that beautiful look and thereby be able to take better care of the handsome men. Some folks are just luckier than others on the beauty score.
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

June 15, 2010
7:52 AM

Post #7890310

Oh goodness, Lucy...I missed my calling. Shoulda been a nurse instead of a teacher!
You are so funny!

Although I will say with this rotator cuff problem, I can just sort of shake my head like a wet dog and let the hair do what it wants...it's a little difficult to try for any kind of hair do with only one working hand and arm. So for the moment, I'm not cursing my genes.
Elena
Middle, TN
(Zone 6b)

June 15, 2010
3:27 PM

Post #7891473

I know a bit of where you are coming from. I had my left arm in casts following several corrective surgeries for over a year after a terrible fall practically destroyed my wrist. They thought my hand was probably not going to be worth much. I had a very active son still in diapers and that was in the days of cloth diapers and pins. You can't imagine how difficult that task became. I also had to do everything to run my household of 5 people that I had to do prior to the accident. Believe me, I do remember how being able to use only one arm can handicap a person. Take especially good care of yourself and give it the chance it needs to heal. Other things will try to make you think they must be done but in reality, many of them don't have to be done in order for you to survive this mess. Just remember, you are the most important thing and not the weeds or anything else that isn't on the total importance list.
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

June 15, 2010
7:12 PM

Post #7892113

Thank you, Elena.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Aunt Bett's Pleurisy Root: Butterfly weed Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Butterfly weed gloria125 5 Jun 21, 2010 8:03 AM
What a great story! Bookerc1 8 Jun 18, 2010 8:53 PM
Plants & Handsome Men Petalpants 1 Jun 15, 2010 9:35 PM
First love then relief 3pmp 1 Jun 22, 2010 8:25 AM
Wouldn't it be funny . . . cybercrone 1 Jun 22, 2010 8:24 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America