Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Heirloom Vegetables: Looking for OP Sugar Beet Seed

Communities > Forums > Heirloom Vegetables
bookmark
Forum: Heirloom VegetablesReplies: 9, Views: 94
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

June 15, 2010
5:21 AM

Post #7889945

Does anyone have any pointers to finding non-GMO, OP sugar beet seed? used to be a SSE member and had a yearbook but that's been awhile and my yearbook has disappeared so I cannot even look up someone who might still save that seed.

Thanks.
evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

July 12, 2010
12:26 PM

Post #7962971

Hi, Darius!

I just checked the SSE online catalog and it wasn't there...might it be for trade if I were a member? I have been thinking of becoming a member again...but then I would probably get more seeds and I already have a large plastic tote, (when they are all put in there...) full of seeds, now separated into sow dates, etc...annuals, perennials, warm season veggies, cool season veggies, and so on...

I think that I mentioned to you before that I got some "bio-char" on ebay...I really do not have the time or patience to make my own from "cowboy Charcoal", although I have smashed some of my own coal that emerged from our wood stove as we burn a lot of oak during the winter, and this spring as well, since the last snowfall was in May.

Let me know if you find this sugar beet as I would be interested as well. What were you planning on doing with it, if I may ask...??

CHEERS! ☺

Evelyn

Thumbnail by evelyn_inthegarden
Click the image for an enlarged view.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

July 12, 2010
2:00 PM

Post #7963177

Evelyn, I hope to grow a few sugar beets next year and try to make sugar (of some sorts, anyway). I just want to know if I can do it, LOL. and J.L. Hudson, Seedsman carries seed.

You should have a big box store like Lowe's near you? They carry/sell a real charcoal... used to be "Cowboy" brand but the bag I got recently for my grill is "Stubb's" brand... (I never think to save bigger charred pieces from the woodstove to use in my grill during the summers.)
evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

July 12, 2010
5:19 PM

Post #7963604

Yes, I saw the brand "Cowboy Charcoal" last week at Home Depot.

Among others items, besides the Bio-Char, I put in my "magic mix" soft rock phoshpate, Jersey Greensand, Azomite along with a bit of lime...did I mess up mixing all these together??

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

July 12, 2010
6:03 PM

Post #7963709

Not at all! That's about what I mix together...

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

July 16, 2010
4:00 AM

Post #7972129

How do you spread your bio-char if you have a big garden?

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

July 16, 2010
5:10 AM

Post #7972216

I usually mix it with other amendments and broadcast by hand, then run my tiller set at about 4" to 5" deep. I like to do it in the fall so the winter freeze-thaw cycles take it deeper, as do the roots of my cover crop.

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

July 16, 2010
6:27 AM

Post #7972397

Thanks, Darius. I don't till, so I'd just have to scratch it in. Do you think it really makes a difference in terms of enabling the soil to stay hydrated?

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

July 16, 2010
6:57 AM

Post #7972471

With the Global Weather Weirding, it's a little hard to say, but I think it helps. Actually where I think it helps best is giving the microbes a place that nurtures them; the microbes are the real workhorses of our soils.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

July 16, 2010
6:57 AM

Post #7972474

Sorry, meant to add that the first 2 years I just scratched the biochar in with a hoe.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Heirloom Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Fermentation Brook 56 Oct 13, 2008 10:56 PM
Carolyn, Tell Us Please..... Brook 27 Sep 15, 2014 5:50 PM
Antique Ornamentals anyone? planman38104 55 Feb 24, 2009 6:05 PM
Does anyone grow Crinums? planman38104 18 May 28, 2008 11:44 PM
Your absolute favorite heirloom tomato Phred 321 Jul 30, 2011 7:54 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America