darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

June 15, 2010
5:21 AM

Post #7889945

Does anyone have any pointers to finding non-GMO, OP sugar beet seed? used to be a SSE member and had a yearbook but that's been awhile and my yearbook has disappeared so I cannot even look up someone who might still save that seed.

Thanks.
evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

July 12, 2010
12:26 PM

Post #7962971

Hi, Darius!

I just checked the SSE online catalog and it wasn't there...might it be for trade if I were a member? I have been thinking of becoming a member again...but then I would probably get more seeds and I already have a large plastic tote, (when they are all put in there...) full of seeds, now separated into sow dates, etc...annuals, perennials, warm season veggies, cool season veggies, and so on...

I think that I mentioned to you before that I got some "bio-char" on ebay...I really do not have the time or patience to make my own from "cowboy Charcoal", although I have smashed some of my own coal that emerged from our wood stove as we burn a lot of oak during the winter, and this spring as well, since the last snowfall was in May.

Let me know if you find this sugar beet as I would be interested as well. What were you planning on doing with it, if I may ask...??

CHEERS! ☺

Evelyn

Thumbnail by evelyn_inthegarden
Click the image for an enlarged view.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

July 12, 2010
2:00 PM

Post #7963177

Evelyn, I hope to grow a few sugar beets next year and try to make sugar (of some sorts, anyway). I just want to know if I can do it, LOL. and J.L. Hudson, Seedsman carries seed.

You should have a big box store like Lowe's near you? They carry/sell a real charcoal... used to be "Cowboy" brand but the bag I got recently for my grill is "Stubb's" brand... (I never think to save bigger charred pieces from the woodstove to use in my grill during the summers.)
evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

July 12, 2010
5:19 PM

Post #7963604

Yes, I saw the brand "Cowboy Charcoal" last week at Home Depot.

Among others items, besides the Bio-Char, I put in my "magic mix" soft rock phoshpate, Jersey Greensand, Azomite along with a bit of lime...did I mess up mixing all these together??

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

July 12, 2010
6:03 PM

Post #7963709

Not at all! That's about what I mix together...

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

July 16, 2010
4:00 AM

Post #7972129

How do you spread your bio-char if you have a big garden?

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

July 16, 2010
5:10 AM

Post #7972216

I usually mix it with other amendments and broadcast by hand, then run my tiller set at about 4" to 5" deep. I like to do it in the fall so the winter freeze-thaw cycles take it deeper, as do the roots of my cover crop.

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

July 16, 2010
6:27 AM

Post #7972397

Thanks, Darius. I don't till, so I'd just have to scratch it in. Do you think it really makes a difference in terms of enabling the soil to stay hydrated?

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

July 16, 2010
6:57 AM

Post #7972471

With the Global Weather Weirding, it's a little hard to say, but I think it helps. Actually where I think it helps best is giving the microbes a place that nurtures them; the microbes are the real workhorses of our soils.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

July 16, 2010
6:57 AM

Post #7972474

Sorry, meant to add that the first 2 years I just scratched the biochar in with a hoe.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Heirloom Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Fermentation Brook 56 Oct 13, 2008 10:56 PM
Carolyn, Tell Us Please..... Brook 22 May 19, 2014 7:30 PM
Antique Ornamentals anyone? planman38104 55 Feb 24, 2009 6:05 PM
Does anyone grow Crinums? planman38104 18 May 28, 2008 11:44 PM
Your absolute favorite heirloom tomato Phred 321 Jul 30, 2011 7:54 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America