Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: Aunt Bett's Pleurisy Root: Butterfly weed: What a great story!

Communities > Forums > Article: Aunt Bett's Pleurisy Root: Butterfly weed
bookmark
Forum: Article: Aunt Bett's Pleurisy Root: Butterfly weedReplies: 8, Views: 41
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

Bookerc1

Bookerc1
Mackinaw, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 15, 2010
4:41 PM

Post #7891677

I love hearing about your escapades growing up. Looks like you'd picked up a little more know-how than Aunt Bett realized! I wonder if she had a moment of shock, realizing you were growing up.

Anyway, glad you managed not to swoon. That story might have taken a much different turn, otherwise!
JuneyBug
Dover AFB, DE
(Zone 7a)

June 15, 2010
5:01 PM

Post #7891726

Ditto to all of that!
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

June 15, 2010
7:11 PM

Post #7892108

Hey Blue and June...

I knew better than to swoon. Aunt Bett would have made mince meat of me if I did. I never could get by with weakness of any kind.

Thought you might like to see Aunt Bett's house, taken last week when I was there. Made my heart feel proud...

Thumbnail by Sharran
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Bookerc1

Bookerc1
Mackinaw, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 16, 2010
7:46 AM

Post #7893332

How wonderful that you were able to go back and visit! People keep telling me to never go back and visit a home that you've loved, once someone else owns it, or you'll get your heart broken. I don't know about that. It does make me sad to visit the little town where I grew up, and see all the businesses closed, and the town in decline, but I do still love to drive by the house where I lived. The yard is so much smaller than I remembered it! And our garden seemed HUGE at the time, and now, looking at the space, it seems like barely a postage stamp. Mom sure did pack a lot of vegetable goodness into that little space, I'll tell you that!

Thanks for posting the picture. Now I'll picture you on that porch, or running through the screen door, every time I read one of your Aunt Bett stories!

Angie
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

June 16, 2010
8:16 AM

Post #7893422

They say you can't go back, but I can and I did. I loved every minute and every memory.

The thought crossed my mind...I wonder if spoken words can embed themselves into surrounding wood, and if they could, that front porch would really have some stories to tell...of course, I think I've already told most of those stories.

The house looked great, but her garden that used to be behind her house, is all gone. And some of her trees are gone, too. So there were differences, but not many. It was still home.

Bookerc1

Bookerc1
Mackinaw, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 16, 2010
1:34 PM

Post #7894361

You ought to write up your experience of going back and visiting. I bet that would make a great story in and of itself.

JuneyBug
Dover AFB, DE
(Zone 7a)

June 16, 2010
9:49 PM

Post #7895752

That would be a good story!
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

June 17, 2010
9:47 AM

Post #7896828

I just did, ladies, but it's on the other site.
Thanks.
Dollykat
Lucasville, OH

June 18, 2010
8:53 PM

Post #7901669

To what other site are you referring? Also, Aesclepius, in Greek myths, was the god of healing and the son of Apollo.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Aunt Bett's Pleurisy Root: Butterfly weed Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
A Handsome Plant oldkate 8 Jun 15, 2010 7:12 PM
Butterfly weed gloria125 5 Jun 21, 2010 8:03 AM
Plants & Handsome Men Petalpants 1 Jun 15, 2010 9:35 PM
First love then relief 3pmp 1 Jun 22, 2010 8:25 AM
Wouldn't it be funny . . . cybercrone 1 Jun 22, 2010 8:24 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America