Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

CLOSED: From My Neck of the Woods to Yours *Our Reveals #2*

Blue Ridge Mtns, VA(Zone 7a)

We came from here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1099730/

Partners have been assigned and this swap is closed to new participants. If you missed this one and are interested in participating in others, please check out the swaps Swaps Forum: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/f/rrtrade/all/

This month we're sharing regional foods and other goodies from our Home State. Since the definition of "Home State" has a different meaning for each of us, it may be where you were born, a State you've lived in, or where you live now. If you have room in your box, please include a plant or two. Foods may include spices or rubs, salsas or sauces, sparkling cider or wine, pickles or relishes, jams or jellies, honey or molasses, and cheese just to name a few so you get the gist. You can make them, shop your local Farmer's Markets, or purchase online. Many of you have also asked for a painted rock as special memento and you're welcome to include one.

1. Value should not exceed $20 prior to postage.

2. If you are NOT mailing a bottle of wine, USPS is fine. Please use a Delivery Confirmation number, whether you send by Priority Mail or Parcel Post.

3. If you ARE mailing a bottle of wine, the only legal carrier across state-lines in the US is UPS. Check your local regulations for in-state mailing. A local winery or broker may be able to mail for you.

4. Post a photo, list your goodies and be sure to thank your buddy.

5. Partners will be assigned Saturday, May 22nd or sooner.

6. Our deadline for mailing is Monday, June 21st...the First Day of Summer!

This is a link to our Haves/Wants: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/985206/
And our Likes and Dislikes: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1012872/

Our participants are:

* Bettypauze -- Rec'd from heavenscape
catbirdsue -- wine's ok (likes blackberry)
* ClanCampbell -- NO wine please -- Rec'd from deejay9
* Cris316 -- no really spicy foods, please. Also allergic to grapes & bananas. -- Rec'd from jsxtiger.
* ddbydeb --- NO wine please -- Rec'd from Bettypauze
* clpgirl -- wine's ok -- prefers White -- Rec'd from froggies_girl
* deejay9 -- wine's ok -- Rec'd from ddbydeb.
* Elfs_Garden -- wine's ok, peanuts are ok, NO sugar jellies or jams please / diabetic -- Rec'd from catbirdsue.
* froggies_girl -- wine's ok -- Rec'd from FruitOfTheVine
* FruitOfTheVine -- wine's ok -- Rec'd from MaggieHanson
* GardenChick1982 -- Rec'd from Erin
* happgarden -- wine's ok -- Rec'd from Quilter5bdsr
* heavenscape -- peanuts are ok, NO wine, NO sugar jellies or jams please / diabetic -- Rec'd from Cris316
* jsxtiger -- wine and spicy foods are ok -- Rec'd from clpgirl
MaggieHanson --
* momoftwo607 -- allergic to strawberries and bananas. No jams or jellies please. A bottle of wine is OK -- Rec'd from GardenChick1982
* Quilter5bdsr -- NO wine or sugar please / diabetic -- Rec'd from taters55.
* rouxcrew -- wine's ok -- Rec'd from happgarden.
* taters55 -- wine's OK (likes White & Chardonnay) -- Rec'd from rouxcrew.

* = received

This message was edited Jul 17, 2010 9:00 PM

Thumbnail by FruitOfTheVine
(Joy) Hempstead, TX(Zone 8b)

Little Red Riding Hood
I don't think little big girls should
Go walking in these spooky old woods alone.
Owoooooooo!

(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX(Zone 9a)

Don't worry, I am right with you!

Port Norris, NJ(Zone 7b)

LOL Joy, what a great flashback - now I won't get the song
out of my head for days !

Summerville, SC(Zone 9b)

Same here Chris LOL! Thank you for the great rfecipes. I am a Type 2 diabetic and have been lax on keeping my sugar down I have hopped back on the wagon again and going to try and be good sugar wise ;) I am goign to make the vaniila wafers this weekend.
Deb

Hold our hands, LK, so the spooky critters don't get us. I adore ornamental frogs but get the willies when I see a real one like I did a few days ago when I potted a few Coleus Faye gave me. You would have thought from my knee-jerk reaction he was a Cobra...lol My older sis used to get her kicks tossing frogs down my shorts when I was a young 'un.

So we've been down memory lane for Rexall & Woolworth's & pinball machines. Are there any tomboys besides me who used to shoot marbles on the school playground?

Never could get my hands on my brothers marbles. But I climbed my share of trees, and sat in the top loft of Grandpa's barn too!

Heck we used to swing out of my uncle's loft on a rope attached to his pulley. And we would play Tarzan; the boys would cut the bottom off a vine and we would swing out over a gully. One vine didn't hold..... Ooops, we all got our bottoms tanned on that one. I could out climb any of the boys in our neighborhood.

Joy

Port Norris, NJ(Zone 7b)

When you mentioned "tomboy" I feel I have to relate this story.
Growing up there was this massive tree in our yard. It took
4 people with arms outstretched to ring the base of the trunk.
As a kid I was so short that even with a ladder I couldn't reach the
first limb to climb the tree - a goal with me as I saw my brother
Lou, and his friends having a great time doing so.
I had just turned 16 and was going out on my first date with
an (OMG) older guy. Lou & his friends were waiting
around with me in the yard when my never being able to
climb the tree came up in conversation. So yes, on a dare
I climbed the tree & finally reached the limb. As I sat there
victorious they pulled the ladder from the tree & ran off.
And you probably guessed right again my "date" had to get
me out of the tree. Don't remember much about the date
I was sooo mortified. Since he asked me out a few
more times the "rescue" didn't put him off.
Tomboy suits me to a T though :)

Kansas City (Joyce), MO(Zone 5a)

Tomboy here. When in grade school playing softball they would make me play ball with the boys because I hit the ball too hard. The girls played close together and if you hit over the line you were automatically out......I was always out, so they put me on the dirt field with the boys.... I grew up on a street with all boys so you either played like a boy or you didn't have anyone to play with. Played softball as an adult on a coed team, I would usually get one run, because when a woman came up to bat the guys all moved in, so at least one time I would hit it past them, that was fun. My Momma didn't raise any sisseys..LOL

(Chris) Des Moines, IA(Zone 5a)

What great memories! I, too, grew up a tomboy..have 2 older brothers, so I always wanted to be like them :) Guess my favorite memory was around the age of 8 or so and bringing home a snake so proudly, cause my brothers always caught them.. and Mom yelling at me to get it out of the house! How rude! It was only a hog-nosed snake, for heaven's sake..not like it would hurt anything. Mom had NO sense of humor ^_^

(Chris) Des Moines, IA(Zone 5a)

My package was sent out today.. finally LOL...

Port Norris, NJ(Zone 7b)

Loved to hear everyone's memories and I can soo
relate to them all !
I too had to play with the boys or be alone. I went all through
school with 6 male cousins & my older brother. Lots of fun
when younger but a nightmare in HS

Cris, that is the turth about ok when younger not in HS...LOL First dressy dance all the guys I hung with when younger just cracked up laughing because I was decked out in low heels and the whole works. Later I did find out they were shocked....I was a girl....

Elf what a great package.... this has been great hearing what everyone is getting...and how creative some are....which I am not...LOL

Summerville, SC(Zone 9b)

Yeah My package on its way to my partner I hope she likes it! Everyone is getting such grat stuff this has been as much fun as the red white an blue exchange1 Thank you for hosting it!
Deb

(Barb) Manchester, NH(Zone 5a)

I got a "Little Bit of Texas" today!!!! LK sent a wonderful box full of all kinds of things Texas. I got a patriotic tee (These Colors Don't Run), A texas flag kitchen set, A Texas coffee mug and a Longhorn teddy bear. And then there are two scorpion lollypops!!; along with some pecan pralines. But Wait - there's more!! I now have two bottles of Stubby's Bar-B-Q sauce!!! One is original and the other is smoky mesquite along with a Stubby's Fine Texas Cuisine cookbook!!! Now I ask you - who could have asked for anything more??? LK you have outdone yourself and made me a very happy sistah...And Norm is one happy brother too!!!! He does love Bar-B-Q......Ya did good and we thank you so much.
Edited to say I'll get a picture as soon as I get my camera back from my grandson!!!

This message was edited Jun 18, 2010 3:40 PM

Can't wait to see your pics, Elfie and Barb. You have both rec'd wonderful packages and thank all of you for participating. ummm, I can taste those pecan pralines and honey from here.

Ocean Springs, MS

I finally got the last item for my buddy's box today. I plan to mail on Monday!
in case you're wondering why I've been MIA, look at what has been keeping me so busy!
My little Liam! I am so blessed to have him with me for the summer!
I hope to keep in touch more often.
love, julie

Thumbnail by froggies_girl
Summerville, SC(Zone 9b)

Julie he is so adorable w3ish we were closer we could have play dates! I keep my great grandson Dakota all week he is 18 months old. Elfie and Barb what great things yall got in, cannot wait to see pics!

He's really growing, froggies, getting cuter by the day. Looks like someone else has been using your laptop too...LOL

Carrollton, OH(Zone 6a)

Fruit I have a question.............how do you mark a thread CLOSED ????

Hi Lady! Look just above your name on the first post of a thread you started. You should find "is this thread finished" in red letters. Click "yes" and it's done. Let me know if that helps.

Carrollton, OH(Zone 6a)

ok thank you !!!!!!

Sent my package today, will dmail the confirm. later, left it in the car and as usual it is storming..... :C

TabacVille, NC(Zone 7a)

Somehow I missed this thread....
so, we have a number of 'tomboys' around here.
Mum dressed me up too girly.. don't play much outside...and had my nose in books.
There was a 'barongan', a native dance show in the neighbourhood, whereby dancers holding on to cardboard horses will playfully chase the children.
To my parents' surprise, plus mine, I climbed up a cassia tree fleeing from the dancers. I was embarrassed when the other kids caught sight of my pink knickers!!!

Cris.. the cookies are GONE!!!! The dressing is just too good!!!!

rouxcrew, Joy I got your box of goodies, and love everything you sent. I got fresh tomatoes, and delicious yellow squash. Cherokee Purple and Mortgage Lifter tomatoes. I have one in the pictures, but I ate one before I took pictures of it! it is so good. I did save some seeds, so maybe I can grow my own next year if it does not get too hot! A bottle of Texas wine, made over by Austin, Texas grown brown rice. Texas made peanut brittle. A Texas Aggie cup. And a package of Coffee.
Let me get some pictures here, so you can see.

Thumbnail by taters55

Plus I also got two beautiful handmade quilted postcards. They are so pretty. I have never seen anything like them before.

Thumbnail by taters55

Plus a beautiful tshirt, from the watermelon festival she is involved in! Bet that keeps her busy for sure.

Thumbnail by taters55

Plus a very nice handmade bar of goatsmilk soap, made by none other than Joy herself!

Thumbnail by taters55

I think that is about it. I really love the package you sent, and will enjoy using the items. Loved the tomato. We are having the squash tonight for dinner. Sliced thin, dunked in milk and egg, then in flour, and fried till crisp!
Thank you so much Joy, it is amazing to see what else comes from Texas, on the other side of the state!

((((((((((((((((HUGS))))))))))))))

Port Norris, NJ(Zone 7b)

Will have to make some more cookies for yourself Jaye.
They really come together quickly you know.
I usually mix the batter then chill it. Bake only in the
evening when its cooler. You can even wrap the rolls
in plastic wrap - place them in a baggie & freeze the
rolls till you need them.

Susan you didn't mark that I have received my package.

What a lovely box you packed Joy)

I worried all weekend about those tomatoes Linda Kay! I was so afraid that with you gone over the weekend they would overripe themselves and burst!!!! The one you ate was the Mortgage Lifter, it is producing like mad right now and the 'maters are over a pound a piece. I had to wait to send until I could get a couple that were barely turning pink so that they could handle the trip, glad I did.
The pecan (think it was pecan) brittle came from pecans here in Hempstead, the rice was grown by a friend of mine from years ago, and LK, the wine came from that college town north and east of Austin, gg, home of A&M, "Gig 'em Aggies"!!!!
Oh, and she forgot to mention Fruity, that she got a bottle of those bread and butter jalapenos that I sent you! If they are too hot for her, maybe y'all can trade!!!! LOL
I am so glad you are happy with your box, Taters, it was tough thinking about stuff to give another Texan.

I got my box from Joyce aka Happgarden, and boy that woman can pack a box! I will post pics tonight after I take some, duh.
I am already wearing the beautiful necklace she sent.

Joy

I have not tried the "texas pickles" yet, but I will this week-end, when we make some nacho's.

Joy, I went to the post office Saturday to get that in the mail and the only box they had was that one, no others! I about croaked. I did have to leave one item out but it wasn't a biggie. I should of wrote stand back when opening cause I figured it exploded once one edge was opened. I do apologize if everything was smashed but I got it in the mail and sometimes good things come in small packages...LOL

Enjoy!

Summerville, SC(Zone 9b)

Yum what a great box of Texas goodies you got! You can just send the Aggies mug my way :) Joy How cool you make soap,do you sell it? And how great was it that te veggies made the trip. I may try that for my sis in Texas. My partner should get her box today or tommorow I am so excited to see how she likes it.
Deb

I lived in San Antonio for 6 months listening to Aggie jokes before I figured out what an Aggie was.... :D I was younger and not nearly as "worldly" as I am now....rofl.

Deb,

Yes I make 100% natural goats milk soap. No perfumes, no artificial ingredients, no dyes, just milk, beeswax, honey, coconut, almond, olive and other oils, and sometimes oatmeal or cornmeal. It was quite the joke a few months ago when a recipe went sort of south and I had bubbles everywhere. I hope to try my hand at liquid goats milk soap soon, but it is a more drawn out process and that means I have to actually plan to do it. The way things pop up at the farm, that isn't always feasible.

If you decide to send veggies, I recommend newspaper wrapping to keep moisture down, send tomatoes barely showing any pink so that they don't bruise, and pack the box full so that there is no movement which would bruise the veggies.

We are hard core Aggie fans, LK almost got an Aggie joke book but this Aggie forgot to put it in the box! For those who aren't familiar, Aggies are the simpletons in jokes (like blondes on steriods) but are on the cutting edge of many areas, physics, engineering, aeronautics, agriculture, bio-technologies, chemists, and so on. Typical Aggie joke: Did you hear about the Aggie who said he would give his right arm to be ambidextrous?

Fruity and Neener, got a picture of Maizie this morning while trying to photograph the neat stuff I got from Joyce. She (Maizie, not Joyce) is 5 months old now.

Joy

Thumbnail by rouxcrew

Awe, Maize is so pretty!
I agree about the packing. Newspaper worked great. Tomato's were red and ready for eating when they got here.

Maizie is a Maine Coon and thinks she is a dog with claws.

Here is the lovely necklace I got from happgarden. It was made by an artist in Goma, MO and is porcelain. The flower silhouettes are so delicate. I will be wearing it when I fly into OH Thursday.

Joy

Thumbnail by rouxcrew

Here is the rest of the package. I got a great nightshirt that has Missouri and things it is known for on the front. I love that old style map. There is a wonderful bar of lavender soy soap. I think I will pack it in my clothes so that they will smell nice if I don't use it up first.

Did you make this Joyce?????

There are two Irises, oooooo I love Irises, they are so pretty. But what is neat about these two is that the cultivar of them is a Missourian as well. The paper she gave me tells about how he developed the two colors. Neat, huh!

Thanks so much happgarden! The package did try to explode a bit when I opened it but at least it wasn't breakable.

Thumbnail by rouxcrew

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.