Photo by Melody

Group Trades, Swaps and Round Robins: CLOSED: From My Neck of the Woods to Yours *Our Reveals #2*

Communities > Forums > Group Trades, Swaps and Round Robins
bookmark
Forum: Group Trades, Swaps and Round RobinsReplies: 156, Views: 989
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

June 16, 2010
1:31 PM

Post #7894344

We came from here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1099730/

Partners have been assigned and this swap is closed to new participants. If you missed this one and are interested in participating in others, please check out the swaps Swaps Forum: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/f/rrtrade/all/

This month we're sharing regional foods and other goodies from our Home State. Since the definition of "Home State" has a different meaning for each of us, it may be where you were born, a State you've lived in, or where you live now. If you have room in your box, please include a plant or two. Foods may include spices or rubs, salsas or sauces, sparkling cider or wine, pickles or relishes, jams or jellies, honey or molasses, and cheese just to name a few so you get the gist. You can make them, shop your local Farmer's Markets, or purchase online. Many of you have also asked for a painted rock as special memento and you're welcome to include one.

1. Value should not exceed $20 prior to postage.

2. If you are NOT mailing a bottle of wine, USPS is fine. Please use a Delivery Confirmation number, whether you send by Priority Mail or Parcel Post.

3. If you ARE mailing a bottle of wine, the only legal carrier across state-lines in the US is UPS. Check your local regulations for in-state mailing. A local winery or broker may be able to mail for you.

4. Post a photo, list your goodies and be sure to thank your buddy.

5. Partners will be assigned Saturday, May 22nd or sooner.

6. Our deadline for mailing is Monday, June 21st...the First Day of Summer!

This is a link to our Haves/Wants: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/985206/
And our Likes and Dislikes: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1012872/

Our participants are:

* Bettypauze -- Rec'd from heavenscape
catbirdsue -- wine's ok (likes blackberry)
* ClanCampbell -- NO wine please -- Rec'd from deejay9
* Cris316 -- no really spicy foods, please. Also allergic to grapes & bananas. -- Rec'd from jsxtiger.
* ddbydeb --- NO wine please -- Rec'd from Bettypauze
* clpgirl -- wine's ok -- prefers White -- Rec'd from froggies_girl
* deejay9 -- wine's ok -- Rec'd from ddbydeb.
* Elfs_Garden -- wine's ok, peanuts are ok, NO sugar jellies or jams please / diabetic -- Rec'd from catbirdsue.
* froggies_girl -- wine's ok -- Rec'd from FruitOfTheVine
* FruitOfTheVine -- wine's ok -- Rec'd from MaggieHanson
* GardenChick1982 -- Rec'd from Erin
* happgarden -- wine's ok -- Rec'd from Quilter5bdsr
* heavenscape -- peanuts are ok, NO wine, NO sugar jellies or jams please / diabetic -- Rec'd from Cris316
* jsxtiger -- wine and spicy foods are ok -- Rec'd from clpgirl
MaggieHanson --
* momoftwo607 -- allergic to strawberries and bananas. No jams or jellies please. A bottle of wine is OK -- Rec'd from GardenChick1982
* Quilter5bdsr -- NO wine or sugar please / diabetic -- Rec'd from taters55.
* rouxcrew -- wine's ok -- Rec'd from happgarden.
* taters55 -- wine's OK (likes White & Chardonnay) -- Rec'd from rouxcrew.

* = received

This message was edited Jul 17, 2010 9:00 PM

Thumbnail by FruitOfTheVine
Click the image for an enlarged view.

rouxcrew

rouxcrew
(Joy) Hempstead, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 16, 2010
1:39 PM

Post #7894372

Little Red Riding Hood
I don't think little big girls should
Go walking in these spooky old woods alone.
Owoooooooo!

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 16, 2010
2:04 PM

Post #7894426

Don't worry, I am right with you!
Cris316
Port Norris, NJ
(Zone 7b)

June 16, 2010
3:05 PM

Post #7894571

LOL Joy, what a great flashback - now I won't get the song
out of my head for days !
ddbydeb
Summerville, SC
(Zone 9b)

June 16, 2010
4:48 PM

Post #7894794

Same here Chris LOL! Thank you for the great rfecipes. I am a Type 2 diabetic and have been lax on keeping my sugar down I have hopped back on the wagon again and going to try and be good sugar wise ;) I am goign to make the vaniila wafers this weekend.
Deb
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

June 16, 2010
4:50 PM

Post #7894801

Hold our hands, LK, so the spooky critters don't get us. I adore ornamental frogs but get the willies when I see a real one like I did a few days ago when I potted a few Coleus Faye gave me. You would have thought from my knee-jerk reaction he was a Cobra...lol My older sis used to get her kicks tossing frogs down my shorts when I was a young 'un.

So we've been down memory lane for Rexall & Woolworth's & pinball machines. Are there any tomboys besides me who used to shoot marbles on the school playground?

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 16, 2010
7:22 PM

Post #7895322

Never could get my hands on my brothers marbles. But I climbed my share of trees, and sat in the top loft of Grandpa's barn too!

rouxcrew

rouxcrew
(Joy) Hempstead, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 16, 2010
7:34 PM

Post #7895364

Heck we used to swing out of my uncle's loft on a rope attached to his pulley. And we would play Tarzan; the boys would cut the bottom off a vine and we would swing out over a gully. One vine didn't hold... Ooops, we all got our bottoms tanned on that one. I could out climb any of the boys in our neighborhood.

Joy

Cris316
Port Norris, NJ
(Zone 7b)

June 16, 2010
7:39 PM

Post #7895387

When you mentioned "tomboy" I feel I have to relate this story.
Growing up there was this massive tree in our yard. It took
4 people with arms outstretched to ring the base of the trunk.
As a kid I was so short that even with a ladder I couldn't reach the
first limb to climb the tree - a goal with me as I saw my brother
Lou, and his friends having a great time doing so.
I had just turned 16 and was going out on my first date with
an (OMG) older guy. Lou & his friends were waiting
around with me in the yard when my never being able to
climb the tree came up in conversation. So yes, on a dare
I climbed the tree & finally reached the limb. As I sat there
victorious they pulled the ladder from the tree & ran off.
And you probably guessed right again my "date" had to get
me out of the tree. Don't remember much about the date
I was sooo mortified. Since he asked me out a few
more times the "rescue" didn't put him off.
Tomboy suits me to a T though :)
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

June 16, 2010
8:41 PM

Post #7895600

Tomboy here. When in grade school playing softball they would make me play ball with the boys because I hit the ball too hard. The girls played close together and if you hit over the line you were automatically out...I was always out, so they put me on the dirt field with the boys... I grew up on a street with all boys so you either played like a boy or you didn't have anyone to play with. Played softball as an adult on a coed team, I would usually get one run, because when a woman came up to bat the guys all moved in, so at least one time I would hit it past them, that was fun. My Momma didn't raise any sisseys..LOL
ClanCampbell
(Chris) Des Moines, IA
(Zone 5a)

June 17, 2010
7:24 AM

Post #7896414

What great memories! I, too, grew up a tomboy..have 2 older brothers, so I always wanted to be like them :) Guess my favorite memory was around the age of 8 or so and bringing home a snake so proudly, cause my brothers always caught them.. and Mom yelling at me to get it out of the house! How rude! It was only a hog-nosed snake, for heaven's sake..not like it would hurt anything. Mom had NO sense of humor :-)
ClanCampbell
(Chris) Des Moines, IA
(Zone 5a)

June 17, 2010
11:59 AM

Post #7897121

My package was sent out today.. finally LOL...
Cris316
Port Norris, NJ
(Zone 7b)

June 17, 2010
5:59 PM

Post #7897934

Loved to hear everyone's memories and I can soo
relate to them all !
I too had to play with the boys or be alone. I went all through
school with 6 male cousins & my older brother. Lots of fun
when younger but a nightmare in HS
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

June 17, 2010
8:10 PM

Post #7898232

Cris, that is the turth about ok when younger not in HS...LOL First dressy dance all the guys I hung with when younger just cracked up laughing because I was decked out in low heels and the whole works. Later I did find out they were shocked...I was a girl...

Elf what a great package... this has been great hearing what everyone is getting...and how creative some are...which I am not...LOL

ddbydeb
Summerville, SC
(Zone 9b)

June 18, 2010
9:43 AM

Post #7899424

Yeah My package on its way to my partner I hope she likes it! Everyone is getting such grat stuff this has been as much fun as the red white an blue exchange1 Thank you for hosting it!
Deb

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

June 18, 2010
12:40 PM

Post #7899959

I got a "Little Bit of Texas" today!!!! LK sent a wonderful box full of all kinds of things Texas. I got a patriotic tee (These Colors Don't Run), A texas flag kitchen set, A Texas coffee mug and a Longhorn teddy bear. And then there are two scorpion lollypops!!; along with some pecan pralines. But Wait - there's more!! I now have two bottles of Stubby's Bar-B-Q sauce!!! One is original and the other is smoky mesquite along with a Stubby's Fine Texas Cuisine cookbook!!! Now I ask you - who could have asked for anything more??? LK you have outdone yourself and made me a very happy sistah...And Norm is one happy brother too!!!! He does love Bar-B-Q...Ya did good and we thank you so much.
Edited to say I'll get a picture as soon as I get my camera back from my grandson!!!

This message was edited Jun 18, 2010 3:40 PM
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

June 18, 2010
2:35 PM

Post #7900466

Can't wait to see your pics, Elfie and Barb. You have both rec'd wonderful packages and thank all of you for participating. ummm, I can taste those pecan pralines and honey from here.

froggies_girl

froggies_girl
Ocean Springs, MS

June 18, 2010
6:57 PM

Post #7901248

I finally got the last item for my buddy's box today. I plan to mail on Monday!
in case you're wondering why I've been MIA, look at what has been keeping me so busy!
My little Liam! I am so blessed to have him with me for the summer!
I hope to keep in touch more often.
love, julie

Thumbnail by froggies_girl

ddbydeb
Summerville, SC
(Zone 9b)

June 18, 2010
7:06 PM

Post #7901292

Julie he is so adorable w3ish we were closer we could have play dates! I keep my great grandson Dakota all week he is 18 months old. Elfie and Barb what great things yall got in, cannot wait to see pics!
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

June 19, 2010
7:09 AM

Post #7902269

He's really growing, froggies, getting cuter by the day. Looks like someone else has been using your laptop too...LOL

synda

synda
Carrollton, OH
(Zone 6a)

June 19, 2010
7:10 AM

Post #7902276

Fruit I have a question...how do you mark a thread CLOSED ????
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

June 19, 2010
7:14 AM

Post #7902289

Hi Lady! Look just above your name on the first post of a thread you started. You should find "is this thread finished" in red letters. Click "yes" and it's done. Let me know if that helps.

synda

synda
Carrollton, OH
(Zone 6a)

June 19, 2010
7:16 AM

Post #7902292

ok thank you !!!!!!
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

June 19, 2010
9:46 AM

Post #7902617

Sent my package today, will dmail the confirm. later, left it in the car and as usual it is storming... :C

heavenscape

heavenscape
TabacVille, NC
(Zone 7a)

June 21, 2010
10:27 AM

Post #7907664

Somehow I missed this thread...
so, we have a number of 'tomboys' around here.
Mum dressed me up too girly.. don't play much outside...and had my nose in books.
There was a 'barongan', a native dance show in the neighbourhood, whereby dancers holding on to cardboard horses will playfully chase the children.
To my parents' surprise, plus mine, I climbed up a cassia tree fleeing from the dancers. I was embarrassed when the other kids caught sight of my pink knickers!!!

Cris.. the cookies are GONE!!!! The dressing is just too good!!!!

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 21, 2010
1:38 PM

Post #7908229

rouxcrew, Joy I got your box of goodies, and love everything you sent. I got fresh tomatoes, and delicious yellow squash. Cherokee Purple and Mortgage Lifter tomatoes. I have one in the pictures, but I ate one before I took pictures of it! it is so good. I did save some seeds, so maybe I can grow my own next year if it does not get too hot! A bottle of Texas wine, made over by Austin, Texas grown brown rice. Texas made peanut brittle. A Texas Aggie cup. And a package of Coffee.
Let me get some pictures here, so you can see.

Thumbnail by taters55

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 21, 2010
1:39 PM

Post #7908233

Plus I also got two beautiful handmade quilted postcards. They are so pretty. I have never seen anything like them before.

Thumbnail by taters55

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 21, 2010
1:41 PM

Post #7908242

Plus a beautiful tshirt, from the watermelon festival she is involved in! Bet that keeps her busy for sure.

Thumbnail by taters55

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 21, 2010
1:42 PM

Post #7908243

Plus a very nice handmade bar of goatsmilk soap, made by none other than Joy herself!

Thumbnail by taters55

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 21, 2010
1:44 PM

Post #7908252

I think that is about it. I really love the package you sent, and will enjoy using the items. Loved the tomato. We are having the squash tonight for dinner. Sliced thin, dunked in milk and egg, then in flour, and fried till crisp!
Thank you so much Joy, it is amazing to see what else comes from Texas, on the other side of the state!

((((((((((((((((HUGS))))))))))))))
Cris316
Port Norris, NJ
(Zone 7b)

June 21, 2010
3:58 PM

Post #7908581

Will have to make some more cookies for yourself Jaye.
They really come together quickly you know.
I usually mix the batter then chill it. Bake only in the
evening when its cooler. You can even wrap the rolls
in plastic wrap - place them in a baggie & freeze the
rolls till you need them.

Susan you didn't mark that I have received my package.

What a lovely box you packed Joy)

rouxcrew

rouxcrew
(Joy) Hempstead, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 21, 2010
4:52 PM

Post #7908694

I worried all weekend about those tomatoes Linda Kay! I was so afraid that with you gone over the weekend they would overripe themselves and burst!!!! The one you ate was the Mortgage Lifter, it is producing like mad right now and the 'maters are over a pound a piece. I had to wait to send until I could get a couple that were barely turning pink so that they could handle the trip, glad I did.
The pecan (think it was pecan) brittle came from pecans here in Hempstead, the rice was grown by a friend of mine from years ago, and LK, the wine came from that college town north and east of Austin, gg, home of A&M, "Gig 'em Aggies"!!!!
Oh, and she forgot to mention Fruity, that she got a bottle of those bread and butter jalapenos that I sent you! If they are too hot for her, maybe y'all can trade!!!! LOL
I am so glad you are happy with your box, Taters, it was tough thinking about stuff to give another Texan.

I got my box from Joyce aka Happgarden, and boy that woman can pack a box! I will post pics tonight after I take some, duh.
I am already wearing the beautiful necklace she sent.

Joy

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 21, 2010
6:39 PM

Post #7908912

I have not tried the "texas pickles" yet, but I will this week-end, when we make some nacho's.
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

June 21, 2010
7:01 PM

Post #7908968

Joy, I went to the post office Saturday to get that in the mail and the only box they had was that one, no others! I about croaked. I did have to leave one item out but it wasn't a biggie. I should of wrote stand back when opening cause I figured it exploded once one edge was opened. I do apologize if everything was smashed but I got it in the mail and sometimes good things come in small packages...LOL

Enjoy!
ddbydeb
Summerville, SC
(Zone 9b)

June 22, 2010
7:24 AM

Post #7909928

Yum what a great box of Texas goodies you got! You can just send the Aggies mug my way :) Joy How cool you make soap,do you sell it? And how great was it that te veggies made the trip. I may try that for my sis in Texas. My partner should get her box today or tommorow I am so excited to see how she likes it.
Deb
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

June 22, 2010
7:30 AM

Post #7909948

I lived in San Antonio for 6 months listening to Aggie jokes before I figured out what an Aggie was... :D I was younger and not nearly as "worldly" as I am now...rofl.

rouxcrew

rouxcrew
(Joy) Hempstead, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 22, 2010
11:00 AM

Post #7910484

Deb,

Yes I make 100% natural goats milk soap. No perfumes, no artificial ingredients, no dyes, just milk, beeswax, honey, coconut, almond, olive and other oils, and sometimes oatmeal or cornmeal. It was quite the joke a few months ago when a recipe went sort of south and I had bubbles everywhere. I hope to try my hand at liquid goats milk soap soon, but it is a more drawn out process and that means I have to actually plan to do it. The way things pop up at the farm, that isn't always feasible.

If you decide to send veggies, I recommend newspaper wrapping to keep moisture down, send tomatoes barely showing any pink so that they don't bruise, and pack the box full so that there is no movement which would bruise the veggies.

We are hard core Aggie fans, LK almost got an Aggie joke book but this Aggie forgot to put it in the box! For those who aren't familiar, Aggies are the simpletons in jokes (like blondes on steriods) but are on the cutting edge of many areas, physics, engineering, aeronautics, agriculture, bio-technologies, chemists, and so on. Typical Aggie joke: Did you hear about the Aggie who said he would give his right arm to be ambidextrous?

Fruity and Neener, got a picture of Maizie this morning while trying to photograph the neat stuff I got from Joyce. She (Maizie, not Joyce) is 5 months old now.

Joy

Thumbnail by rouxcrew

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 22, 2010
11:08 AM

Post #7910502

Awe, Maize is so pretty!
I agree about the packing. Newspaper worked great. Tomato's were red and ready for eating when they got here.

rouxcrew

rouxcrew
(Joy) Hempstead, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 22, 2010
12:05 PM

Post #7910617

Maizie is a Maine Coon and thinks she is a dog with claws.

Here is the lovely necklace I got from happgarden. It was made by an artist in Goma, MO and is porcelain. The flower silhouettes are so delicate. I will be wearing it when I fly into OH Thursday.

Joy

Thumbnail by rouxcrew

rouxcrew

rouxcrew
(Joy) Hempstead, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 22, 2010
12:12 PM

Post #7910641

Here is the rest of the package. I got a great nightshirt that has Missouri and things it is known for on the front. I love that old style map. There is a wonderful bar of lavender soy soap. I think I will pack it in my clothes so that they will smell nice if I don't use it up first.

Did you make this Joyce?????

There are two Irises, oooooo I love Irises, they are so pretty. But what is neat about these two is that the cultivar of them is a Missourian as well. The paper she gave me tells about how he developed the two colors. Neat, huh!

Thanks so much happgarden! The package did try to explode a bit when I opened it but at least it wasn't breakable.

Thumbnail by rouxcrew

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

June 22, 2010
12:20 PM

Post #7910663

MY WONDERFUL BOX ARRIVED THIS AFTERNOON ALL IN A-ONE CONDICTION :) DEB A Huge Thank you
For all the great Information of your city & state It would be a very nice place to visit if I could ever get out of Michigan :) Thank you for sharing .
Along with all the great info Deb shared all of these Goodies I'm Going to Open the Pickled garlic tonight to try
with my ribeye steaks in fact going to use in the marinade :)

I think one of the best recipies you shared is going to be the Shrimp and Grits I'm going to make it one sunday morning when my Brother & SIL Come over for our Brunch :) Togeather.

also like to try the grab soup thank you for all the great goodies & I hope to visit the south some day :)
along with the great recipies & Info I recieved these goodies :)

OLD TIME MUSCADINE CIDER
SCUPPERNONG GRAPE JAM
MUSCADINE GRAPE JAM
SOUTHERN GARDENS OLD FASHION SPICY PICKLED GARLIC
MIKE'S FAMOUS OLD BAY DEEP FRIED PEANUT'S (MMMMM JUST TRIED THEM
MY FATHER WANTS TO TRY THE JAM FOR SUPER TONIGHT .

SUSIE

Thumbnail by deejay9

rouxcrew

rouxcrew
(Joy) Hempstead, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 22, 2010
12:42 PM

Post #7910742

Deep fried peanuts? Recipe??????
I was checking our Mustang grapes this morning, the wild grapes we have on the farm. They are mostly black so I will be making grape jam myself. Looks like you have quite a haul Susie!!!!!

Joy

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 22, 2010
1:26 PM

Post #7910865

Look at all the great goodies coming in! Lots of pretties to wear, to plant and to eat!
ddbydeb
Summerville, SC
(Zone 9b)

June 22, 2010
4:41 PM

Post #7911336

Hi Susie glad you liked everything! I love the pickled garlic. It is hot though but so good LOL! I have a garlic slicer and run 4 or 5 cloves through it over the top of my salad somtimes. it is so good. Joy I dont hae a recipe for the deep fried peanuts I just buy them from them like that. You eat the whole thing shell and all. I ment to add a can of boiled peanuts but I did have room. trhe same people make all differnt kinds of cider and the most wonderful pickles called Spicy Garlic Chips. They are to die for. They are really spicey, they have so much garlic and cayenne in them but are so worth it.They are sweet too and crunch when you bite into them. Years ago in texas my mom used to make bread and butter pickles using a 5 lb jar of pickles that crunched like that. Wish I could find the recipe.

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

June 22, 2010
5:25 PM

Post #7911564

Deb I Have a Refrigerator Dill Pickle that is so crunchy ,if I can find it been awhile since i made any but i planted pickles this year so might be a good time to look for it .

I Marinated My Ribeyes in that pickled garlic for super OH MY SO SO TENDER MELT IN THE MOUTH DEVINE TASTE :)))
I Didn't know you can eat the peanut shell & All So I tried that & Just alittle dry not bad But you won't sit & eat the whole bag for sure :)))

I have invited My Brother over for this sunday I want to test out the shrimp& Grits :) Got to tell ya I was doing a search on a few daylilies
& Came to a site who has a daylily Named SHRIMP & GRITS HEHE. No Joke .

daddy tested the MUSCADINE GRAPE JAM
he said to tell you it was very tasty also .
I have found a few Meals I want to try from the cook book Have my Shopping list Ready . . & when I can really eat better I Will sure
give them a test :) .

well i have some emails to answer so you all have a great evening
susie

rouxcrew

rouxcrew
(Joy) Hempstead, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 22, 2010
9:32 PM

Post #7912309

Deb, are you talking about jarred pickles that you make sweet? or jarred pickles that you make hot? I have the simple ways for both of those, one is served at a local restaurant and the other was served in the Cowboy Saloon at the rodeo I was working a couple weeks ago.

Joy
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

June 22, 2010
11:30 PM

Post #7912449

Joy, I didn't make anything that was in your box. No talent here kiddo... except I am pretty good at spending money...rofl.
I love handmade soaps. That is something I don't think you can have enough of. Up here by me everyone grows soy beans so there are alot of soy soaps, candles, and the like.

We need to do this is n ithe winter, we have some of the best food items I could of shipped but eveyone that I went to buy them from so no it is too hot... ;C

There is an art gallery in the building I work in and in the bottom floor a clay company named Red Star just moved in there, and the necklace is from one of their featured artist. Red Star is giving lessons and this winter I might take them and make really bad tea cups and maybe some flower pots...LOL I have always wanted to do clay. Well enjoy there Aggie...

DeeJay you sure got a nice box of goodies. Lots of good eating going on there!

rouxcrew

rouxcrew
(Joy) Hempstead, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 23, 2010
5:50 AM

Post #7912820

Happgarden, I have visions of Alice in Wonderland or Picasso styled tea cups floating in my head! They probably would look pretty good to a blonde Aggie like myself.

Joy
Elfs_Garden
( Kris) Smiths, AL
(Zone 8a)

June 23, 2010
12:46 PM

Post #7913966

Here are my pics,, first is bottle of wine,,, well was full Ralph and Mike done drunk it all,,,lol

Thumbnail by Elfs_Garden

Elfs_Garden
( Kris) Smiths, AL
(Zone 8a)

June 23, 2010
12:47 PM

Post #7913969

2nd is t-shirt, honey, and earrings all from West Virginia,, Thanks again Catbirdsue an sorry so long to post the pics.
Elfie

Thumbnail by Elfs_Garden

Elfs_Garden
( Kris) Smiths, AL
(Zone 8a)

June 23, 2010
12:48 PM

Post #7913974

Here is better pic of the earings!! Aren't they just Beautiful??

Thumbnail by Elfs_Garden

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 23, 2010
12:58 PM

Post #7914009

Kris those are very pretty. Looks like the wine was good too?
Elfs_Garden
( Kris) Smiths, AL
(Zone 8a)

June 23, 2010
1:06 PM

Post #7914026

I did not have any of the wine,, but Ralph sure liked it..lol The earrings are wonderful!!

Forgot to say I am wearing the t-shirt on the plane to go see my dad. That should confuse everyone...lol

This message was edited Jun 23, 2010 2:07 PM
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

June 23, 2010
2:02 PM

Post #7914184

Kris, you wear a West Virginia t-shirt the airline people may put you on the wrong plane...LOL

Joy, I am guessing when I make a tea cup it will probably turn out to look like an alien flying saucer and I even think a poor blonde aggie will have to laugh... ;D

This has been a fun swap.
ddbydeb
Summerville, SC
(Zone 9b)

June 23, 2010
9:46 PM

Post #7915512

Joy I would love both recipes if you can find them! And Kris everyhting you got is wonderful I bet that Blackberry Wine was yummy!
ClanCampbell
(Chris) Des Moines, IA
(Zone 5a)

June 24, 2010
9:29 AM

Post #7916397

My delivery confirmation shows that my goodies were received by my buddy on the 19th.. I hope everything was ok. She hasn't posted anything about it yet.. where are you at, buddy????

rouxcrew

rouxcrew
(Joy) Hempstead, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 24, 2010
7:04 PM

Post #7918058

Deb,
I am in OH right now judging sheepdog trials and will be back home Sunday. If I forget the recipes, bump me after I get back.
Kris, you can just send those earrings to me, lol

Joy

froggies_girl

froggies_girl
Ocean Springs, MS

June 25, 2010
6:04 AM

Post #7919021

Wow! Everyone is getting such beautiful and yummy gifts. I sent my box Tuesday, so I hope my buddy gets hers today or tomorrow!

Our little poodle died yesterday! Was a very hard, tearful day for all of us. I got up this morning and missed hearing him scratching out the door to go outside! Our other poodle is so sad. He knows that Ellarry is gone.

I have been so busy with Liam and trying to get things done in my yard that I am exhausted by the time I finally sit down at night. I am going to try to get online more. I miss all of you and the chatting. I need some friendship very badly right now. Well, I need it all the time! LOL

love to all, julie

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 25, 2010
6:17 AM

Post #7919052

Julie, sorry to hear about your Ellarry. It is so hard to lose a furry baby. But glad to hear you have another to fill the heart with love.
Cris316
Port Norris, NJ
(Zone 7b)

June 25, 2010
6:23 AM

Post #7919062

Jax,
Hope you're still checking on the thread. I want to tell
you that something decided my Flamingo was either
looking for a fight or seeking affection.

Last night after watering, Gertie was standing proud
watching over all the growing things (including a whole
bunch of weeds). This morning when we went out the
poor thing was knocked over, dragged a few feet
and one of her legs was off.

Now - YOU know how hard it is to push those legs in place
so we can only imagine the struggle that occured to keep
her legs together. My DH & I had a good chuckle but at
the same time still scratching our heads over what happened
and by whom!
Cris316
Port Norris, NJ
(Zone 7b)

June 25, 2010
6:27 AM

Post #7919071

Julie,
So sorry to hear that your much loved fur companion has
passed. It's an ache that other pet lovers understand.

My heart & prayers go out to you.
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

June 25, 2010
7:02 AM

Post #7919156

froggie, so sorry to hear. We have lots of pets and I am so sad when something happens to one so I understand how you feel. Hugs.

froggies_girl

froggies_girl
Ocean Springs, MS

June 27, 2010
4:19 AM

Post #7924122

Ellarry was my oldest daughter's poodle. He was 5 years old. She got him right after my dad passed away and named him Ellarry after my dad (Eldon Larry). (Destiny was very close to my dad since I lived at home when I had her and he always spoiled her rotten. When he passed, she told me that she felt like she had lost her daddy, too). She was so devastated about Ellarry that she wanted another poodle to love to help ease the pain. Of course, no dog can ever take Ellarry's place, but the new puppy keeps her busy and helps her cope.
Now here's the clincher! We called about several offers in the newspaper Thursday and they were either gone or out of her price range. So, Friday morning we started going to pet stores and vet's offices looking for ads for poodles. I stopped to buy a paper and there were some mini poodles for sale in her price range. She called and we went to look at them. One came to her immediately and would not let her put him down. If she tried, he would whimper. So, she bought him. On the way home, she decided to name him Landon (once again combining my dad's name Eldon Larry). He is 11 weeks old and she looked on the paperwork to see when he was born. Ok, are you ready for this? He was born April 2, on my dad's birthday! God allowed my dad to lead us to the most perfect puppy, born on my dad's birthday and so special to help us cope with Ellarry's passing. Oh, my, how God works in mysterious ways!

Well, I hope you all have a great day. God bless,
love, julie

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 27, 2010
6:31 AM

Post #7924372

Julie, that is a wonderful story. So glad you got another one so special!
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

June 27, 2010
8:40 AM

Post #7924719

Julie, that gave me goosebumps! Don't you just love a happy ending?

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

June 27, 2010
4:19 PM

Post #7925646

He certainly does work in mysterious ways. What a wonderful outcome for such a sad situation...
ddbydeb
Summerville, SC
(Zone 9b)

June 27, 2010
5:44 PM

Post #7925859

Julie how wonderful! Your Dad and the Lord led you right to that pup!
Deb
Cris316
Port Norris, NJ
(Zone 7b)

June 27, 2010
7:24 PM

Post #7926072

Ibid on the goosebumps - how wonderful for you & your
daughter :)

froggies_girl

froggies_girl
Ocean Springs, MS

June 28, 2010
4:14 AM

Post #7926698

Bless you all!

I have two things going on this week. I have an appt. with my doctor Wednesday morning to check the lump under my arm. Then I have a colonoscopy scheduled for Thursday. I have to have one done every year since a pre-cancerous mass was found in my colon when I was 30 (gosh, that seems so long ago!). Last year, the results came back with pre-cancerous cells, but I'm looking forward to a better prognosis this year! As for the lump under my arm, i'll cross that bridge when I get to it.

Liam is here right now; stayed the night with me. He is learning so much. I am trying to teach him to count. He will repeat one, two, three, but when I say four, he yells "Five." It is so funny. I also taught him "I love you", but he repeats "I", then when I say "love" he yells, "You!". He is my heart and he is just what I needed to lift me up. Colt is still in Afghanistan, and when I told him Liam was my heart, Colt said, "So, I've been replaced." I told Colt that no one could ever replace him; it's just that he is too big for me to carry around! he laughed about that and said, "Yeah, I'm big enough to carry you around now!"

Well, it is official. Tarballs from the oil spill washed up on our local beaches yesterday. It is so sad. The waters are now all closed for fishing and they say the beaches will probably close sometime this week. I have written a book about the Mississippi 12 Days of Chistmas and it all the 12 days have something to do with our local seafood industry or marine birds and wildlife. I plan to get some pictures this week to finish illustrating the book. I am going to self-publish it and sell it at local gift shops and festivals. Now that the oil spill has happened, i plan to donate a part of the profits to saving the wildlife. No better time than now to do that!

I hope my swap buddy has received her box by now. I mailed it last Tuesday. I'll have to find the receipt and check the tracking number.

love to all, julie

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 28, 2010
5:00 AM

Post #7926775

Julie, sending prayers for all your test to come out negative! Still sending lots of prayers to all the troops!
Funny how those little ones go through the learning process!
ddbydeb
Summerville, SC
(Zone 9b)

June 29, 2010
9:01 PM

Post #7931975

Julie prayers being said for you here too. I totally understand about Liam. I feel the same way about Dakota. Since I had my surgery on Fri I have not been able to take care of him so he has been at the next door neighbors on Monday and then with his Aunt and Grandaddy(my son ) Tues and Wed then I wil have him for just a few hrs on Thurs before he has to go next door so I can go teach a class. I get my stent rmove3d Thurs afternoon so hopefully will have him back "home" I sure miss those smiles and hugs and I feel funny brushing my teeth with out a chorus of "ahhhhh" LOL! We brush out teeth and our hair together ever weekday. His crib is in out bedroom and the sink is close by so he watches me first then we do his. He runs all the way over to the end of the crib and hollers "all done" so I will coax him over to me LOL! Here he is last month.

This message was edited Jun 29, 2010 11:03 PM

Thumbnail by ddbydeb

Cris316
Port Norris, NJ
(Zone 7b)

June 30, 2010
6:42 AM

Post #7932516

Deb, Dakota sounds like a true joy.

Julie, will keep you in my prayers.

I'm getting a bit jealous - everyone with their grandbabies!
None in sight here - my daughter is a career gal w/no
time for dating. My fear is once she gets around to it I'm
going to be too infirm to do anything to help.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 30, 2010
6:46 AM

Post #7932522

Give her time, she just may surprise you someday!
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

June 30, 2010
1:17 PM

Post #7933391

Cris, my dss was an only child and finally had his only child at 40...but omg it was worth the wait...
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

June 30, 2010
4:53 PM

Post #7933858

{Hugs, Froggies} I hope both your Dr. appointments go well. I'm thinking about you, Girlfriend!

And how's this for a hostess...my box is late and I'm shooting for early next week to mail it. I'm so sorry Buddy, just hope the goodies you receive will be worth your wait.

It's been miserably hot & humid the last few weeks but we finally have a break from both today. It was a crazy week-end spending Friday night at my MIL's in anticipation of our RU on Saturday.

Please check the top block and let me know if I've missed marking you as rec'd?

This little gal has been all over my Cannas for days.

happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

June 30, 2010
5:27 PM

Post #7933985

LOOKY LOOKY, what I got in the mail. A wonderful box of goodies from Barb, quilter5bdsr, from New Hampshire. I got a wonderful pink hat that says live free or die with a moose and New Hampshire on it, a wonderful journal for projects says a place to plan and organize your projects, it is sooo cool, a wonderful t-shirt says Hillsboro wild flowers of New Hampsire beautiful flowers on it with two hummingbirds, a mug that I have been needing forever that says New Hampshire, I was digging all over this house looking for a cup to take in the car Monday morning, I ended up with my tupperware shaker mixer! Now I have a cup, wonderful jar of pure maple syrup grade a medium amber from Minnich's Surgarhouse (never had anything but store bought so I am excited to try this on the weekend), then a beautiful box with 2 decks of poker cards (which we will use) the box has New Hampshire on it with hot air balloons, it is wood and so nice, and she did NOT send me the raggy grader I just couldn't find a way to display key chain and 2 magnets (always need magnets) one magnet tells all about the state and the emblem, and the other says Hillsboro, NH and tells about stone arch bridges that have no mortar in them at all and were built in first half of the 19th century, that is amazing. Oh yeah the key chain says "the granite state live free or die New Hampshire.

Thank you so very very much!

Thumbnail by happgarden

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 30, 2010
6:31 PM

Post #7934130

That hummer is so pretty. Nice shot!

Nice package that Barb sent you. Love the Tshirt, and that honey looks yummy.
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

June 30, 2010
7:41 PM

Post #7934341

Yep, the package was full of great stuff, using the cup tomorrow, the magnets already, hat and shirt this weekend along with the cards.

The new camera seems to be working good.
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 1, 2010
5:38 AM

Post #7935001

Very cool goodies, happ. You are going to enjoy them all...some you already are. That coffee cup story cracked me up :)

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

July 1, 2010
5:40 AM

Post #7935007

Happgarden- So glad you were pleased with your box of goodies from NH. We do have a few very small wineries here and I was going to get some wine to put in the box. But my DH thought maybe that wasn't a good idea as we have never heard anyone rave about them. So----maple syrup instead!!! Enjoy--

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 1, 2010
5:52 AM

Post #7935040

Barb, some of our local wines are not worth sending either, but there a few of them that are pretty good. I guess it all depends on your taste. Some like reds, some like whites, some like it sweet or dry.
It is amazing what we can find to take our drinks in. I have even filled a pint jar one time, cause I broke my thermal cup.
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 1, 2010
6:58 AM

Post #7935190

And what did you put in that pint jar, LK. Around here it might be moonshine...LOL

Gotta get back outside. Y'all have a good day!

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 1, 2010
7:01 AM

Post #7935200

Iced tea!
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

July 1, 2010
7:46 AM

Post #7935311

Yeap, used my cup this morning, I actually looked like a grownup and not a homeless person, nothing against homeless people, but nothing like being dressed in a suit and carrying your tupperware shaker..LOL
Looked nice on my desk also. I look much better today, image and all...rofl

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 1, 2010
7:49 AM

Post #7935324

Nothing like doing it in style! :-)
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 1, 2010
2:56 PM

Post #7936162

Well I had to ask, LK...lol
happ, you're going to enjoy that syrup, maybe one week-end morning on pancakes or waffles. My Dad used to smother a fresh biscuit with hoop cheese and maple syrup. Another Southern favorite, unlike the "glue" grits you had to endure.

Anybody want to share blooms? Susie, the Candy Lilly you sent me last year is blooming again. Actually it's covered but this just shows a couple close-up :)

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

July 1, 2010
3:31 PM

Post #7936214

Went to take photo's of my treasures and batteries were dead, yikes, guess they got tired taking 196 photo's on my trip..lol..so charging they are and then I shall post so you all can ooohhh and aaahhh!
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 1, 2010
3:58 PM

Post #7936259

We'll wait til you're ready, Betty. I bet you had a wonderful time at the Reunion.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 1, 2010
8:44 PM

Post #7936838

Please tell me what hoop cheese is? I have never heard that before.
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

July 2, 2010
6:03 AM

Post #7937403

I am with you taters, what is hoop cheese?
My XDFIL ate biscuits with butter and sorgum every morning. His wife made the best biscuits in the world...OMG. Didn't like sorgum but loved the biscuits, gravy, and butter, and jelly!
Think I will make waffles or maybe pancakes, guess it depends if it is raining or not. They say the hurricane is sending us some rain...course we have a long weekend...I am off tomorrow so I can play outdoors, then going to the city market in the am Saturday, then hopefully play all the rest of the weekend in the flowers. I still have a ton to do.

heavenscape

heavenscape
TabacVille, NC
(Zone 7a)

July 2, 2010
6:08 AM

Post #7937420

Oooh.. hoop cheese is the favorite cheese of the folks here.
It's a yellow cheese, has it's own distinct flavor.

Cris, I got lucky!! While in Franklin, Ohio, for the Sistahs Reunion... I stepped in a Christmas Tree Store!! Wow!! The stuffs in there!! Got some RWB items real cheap there.
No wonder you love that place.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

July 2, 2010
7:34 AM

Post #7937621

Jaye while you did the Franklin store I did the Buffalo store...and yes, great time to stock up...

Well, batteries are charged up, as am I...oooh put on 7 lbs. on my adventure..yikes, back to serious dieting but boohoo how on earth will I be able to do this when Jaye sent me a box full of goodies?

Yes Jaye had my name and what a box it was...

The peanut butter and the honey is now on it's way upstairs so I can have it with my toast...

from the Patriotic swap I received everything to decorate for July 4th, now Jaye sent everything for me to feed friends and family..didn't get to do it July 1st. but sure going to try for July 4th..

Jaye, you are a sweetie, and now that I've met you, more of a sweetie than I thought..could just squeeze you with a hug until you are saying 'please stop'..lol..

Now look at my box of goodies...

Thumbnail by Bettypauze

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

July 2, 2010
7:37 AM

Post #7937628

Now I bet you are all thinking of what you could be making with such goodies? maybe you can offer up a tradition USA meal with including what I have??????

Love the t-shirt...

Again Jaye, I so love my box of goodies..

Off to town, need some supplies - few projects need done for the garden and then my Christmas Blocks need to go from yardage to finished blocks and mailed on Monday...

I'm flighing high today..feel special to be part of such a great group of people...waving to all...

Happy July 4th if I don't get back to you all..here's a little corner in my neck of the woods to honor my American friends...

Thumbnail by Bettypauze

froggies_girl

froggies_girl
Ocean Springs, MS

July 2, 2010
8:06 AM

Post #7937701

Love all those gifts! Can't wait to get mine!

Update: lump under my arm was a swollen lymph node. Doc put me on antibiotics.

Colonoscopy: only one polyp that she burned- so I am back in business today planting and such!

Dyed my hair dark red. And look at my surprise:

Yes, I got a new tattoo! It is a rosary that is attached to a tattoo I had done years ago! The cross symbolizes my belief in my Savior; the butterfly symbolizes my transformation from the timid wife to the strong person I am now; and the Ecc. 3:1 is my favorite Bible verse because there is a time for everything, but it is in God's time! Just have to rely on Him and He will carry us through everything!
I love you all.
God bless, julie

Thumbnail by froggies_girl

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 2, 2010
9:43 AM

Post #7937952

Julie, that is awesome! Sounds like you are ready to start that new chapter in your life!

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

July 3, 2010
6:06 AM

Post #7939817

We are really proud of you Julie. You have come so far!!! And what a wonderful spirit I see when you write now.

heavenscape

heavenscape
TabacVille, NC
(Zone 7a)

July 3, 2010
6:48 AM

Post #7939951

Huggggs Julie!! You're getting God's wisdom.. yes it is God's time, not ours.. and whatever His will is for us, it will be for the better. Ain't He awesome?
Come on girl, we need to see that red hair too!!!
Anyway, happy to read here that you're in good health mentally and physically!

Betty, NC is famous for peanuts, tobacco and vinegared bbq (this neck of the woods, anyway). So the obvious would be to have those peanuts to represent NC.
Boiled peanuts is an acquired taste, as mentioned by one of the sistahs at the reunion!
Since I've lived most of my life in Louisiana, thought those boxes of Zatarain's Red Beans and Rice and Jambalaya will point you to New Orleans. No, you don't have to tie yourself to the stove. Those don't take too long on the stove, and not too 'seasoned'.
Hence, I've included my favorite brand of seasoning. As you know, I travel with Tony's Creole Seasoning!!
Good thing I live just across the border from South Carolina. They have the best honey, and I just got to include that blackberry jam, as I figured you might not have any blackberries growing there.
Hope you get to enjoy our brand of cornbread and biscuit mix!!
I'm blessed for having met you in person.. and can't wait till next year.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

July 3, 2010
2:04 PM

Post #7940810

My favorite place to visit is New Orleans Jaye...most at home in USA - could it be the french??? the music??? the dancing??? hey, all 3...

Was at the Elmvale streetfest today, they had good old rock/n/roll..guess who was dancing up a storm..lol

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

July 4, 2010
3:19 AM

Post #7941927

July 4th. is finally here...

Prayers for those who are keeping us safe, may their families know how grateful we all are for their efforts...

Do enjoy your day!
Cris316
Port Norris, NJ
(Zone 7b)

July 4, 2010
7:27 AM

Post #7942277

Jaye,
TOLD you you'd like Christmas Tree Shop.
Hope you had credit cards on hand. Hard to get out
of that store without spending but the bargains are
just too wonderful to pass up !

Julie, love the Tat and good to hear the news about the
med. issues. You go girl!

Jaye & other diabetics - if you haven't found the King Arthur
site that offers sugar-free mixes here is the link.
http://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop/special-diets/sugar-free

This message was edited Jul 5, 2010 9:10 AM

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

July 5, 2010
11:07 AM

Post #7945018

Love the Christmas Tree store however, the last 3 times I visited they must be in seasonal transition, for me to buy nothing is saying a lot...
Cris316
Port Norris, NJ
(Zone 7b)

July 5, 2010
5:44 PM

Post #7945893

Betty, the last 3X's? Wow I've never been there yet &
not found something. Last visit picked up some coir
baskets for $1.99 I was psyched !

The original trio of "shops" in Yarmouth MA have been
closed. It was really neat. The original gift shop was 2 floors
& you had to go outside & up the hill to get the the 2nd floor.
Across from the 2nd floor was the "barn" building.
1st floor was where higher priced "one of a kind" items
(mostly from the Boston Trade show) were located.
2nd floor was the bargain area & the barn was were the
food items were located. There was always a "home town"
feel to the place even after the other locations came along
I liked shopping there best.
ddbydeb
Summerville, SC
(Zone 9b)

July 5, 2010
7:27 PM

Post #7946162

I am popping im to shout I got my package from Betty it is so wanderful I wil be yakkign more about it in the am and posting pics1 Betty you are so wonderful I just love everything!
Deb

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

July 6, 2010
4:09 AM

Post #7946635

Deb, glad you got the package ..now I can cross this swap off my list as received..always a good feeling when it's been received and you don't worry about getting behind..

Chris, bought the same hanging baskets plus the long coir ones for the balcony's..couldn't believe the prices either..I'm always coming home with a car load so it is disappointing..still, enjoy looking around for the unusual...

Time for me to move along..
ClanCampbell
(Chris) Des Moines, IA
(Zone 5a)

July 6, 2010
5:10 AM

Post #7946709

I've dmailed my buddy on the 24th and still haven't gotten a reply.. I know that life gets in the way and sometimes it's difficult to get on here. But it still makes me wonder if she was disappointed in what I sent :(

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

July 6, 2010
6:11 AM

Post #7946794

Chris...isn't it odd how we always send the best of gifts and worry that our partner isn't please..am sure it's not so

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 6, 2010
6:57 AM

Post #7946896

Hope she is not sick. Maybe on vacation?
ClanCampbell
(Chris) Des Moines, IA
(Zone 5a)

July 6, 2010
7:31 AM

Post #7946962

Thanks Betty..it's so true that we worry about what we sent..not only whether they like the items, but did they arrive safely and intact ..and did they arrive at all LOL

I received a dmail from her just a little bit ago.. her mom's been really sick and best friend had major surgery. Sounds like it's been crazy for her! She said she liked everything and will post when she can :)

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 6, 2010
7:32 AM

Post #7946970

Glad you heard from her.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

July 6, 2010
7:34 AM

Post #7946975

Now you can breath Chris...I sent out my July blast from USA, should be arriving and it is soooo breakable, couldn't resist the item for a special friend but not looking forward to seeing it arrive in bits/pieces...lordy, do they play football with our packages

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 6, 2010
7:41 AM

Post #7946996

Betty, it is terrible how they mis-handle the packages sometimes! Maybe they should start taking the damages out of the postmans wages, then they would start handling them better?

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

July 6, 2010
8:02 AM

Post #7947032

know that I started NOT to put 'fragile' on them, has helped a bit..think when some and am sure they are few and far between (those handling my packages) lol decide to see just how fragile..

jsxtiger

jsxtiger
(jax) Dundalk, MD
(Zone 7a)

July 7, 2010
5:49 PM

Post #7950951

...Chris316...the black flamingo in me yard got a text messge from yer orange one... seems ther was a major party in you yard that nite!!! and ya missed it!
ddbydeb
Summerville, SC
(Zone 9b)

July 9, 2010
5:07 AM

Post #7954447

Wow sorry it took so long to get back and post what Betty sent still playing catch up from being sick all last month! Now if I can just catch up on my Birthday gifts I need to sent out I have 3 to do!
Betty sent me the most wonderful recipe book I will be making many of the yummy goodies in it, a wonderful Loon Journal, a spice mix set for burgers, the coolest card that has a little pad impregnated with seed! You just lay it on the ground and place dirt over it and you have a little flower garden! I think this is so cool!
She also sent me a Pin from Canada ( I love pins!) The most wonderful smelling naturally made soap, a gorgeous robin frame I am just in love with, and to top it all off some great brushes I will of course put to good use! She also included a beautiful handmade card she wrote about each item in.
Thank you so much Betty I love everything in case you cannot tell!
Deb B

Thumbnail by ddbydeb

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 9, 2010
5:24 AM

Post #7954471

Ceb, you got a box of wonderful goodies for sure! Nice job Betty!
Deb, sorry to hear you were not feeling well. Hope your on the mend?
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 9, 2010
6:24 AM

Post #7954579

Wonderful surprises there, Deb! Hope you're feeling stronger each day.
Thank you, Betty, for making her day :)

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

July 9, 2010
7:53 AM

Post #7954750

Difficult when you cannot send food or plants from your neck of the woods, the loons/robins are indeed my birds of region, soap is made from plantlife in Muskoka Lake Region here...recipe's that reflect what we cook, some seeds, one day I'm hoping they will grace your gardens in plantlife..spices from my region and yes brushes...so many local artists in my area, thought the brushes might reflect what we do as a form of recreation...isn't card making fun!

bit of my house to your house swap gift...

froggies_girl

froggies_girl
Ocean Springs, MS

July 9, 2010
8:16 AM

Post #7954795

Still wondering about my partner as well. Mailed my box about three weeks ago and she hasn't posted yet. Wonder if she is alright? love, julie
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 9, 2010
5:34 PM

Post #7956035

Hi Julie, she posted on our previous thread and from her comments she's very pleased with the goodies you shared with her. Hope after you read her post near the bottom of the page, it'll help ease your mind. You always do a great job pleasing your partner and I always appreciate your participation! I do hope she'll be back with us soon too...
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1099730/

"Bit of my house to your house swap gift." Oh I like that saying, Betty. So appropriate and nicely put. Now if we could just get your border patrol to ease up on plants :)

heavenscape

heavenscape
TabacVille, NC
(Zone 7a)

July 9, 2010
7:41 PM

Post #7956391

Cris thanks for the link. I'll share that with my sister who just told me that Stevia is now available in the French market.

You're so right.. Betty... majority of the swappers always send their best and yet worry if they're not good enough.

I've also learnt that boxes with delivery confirmations somehow got handled carefully by the postal workers.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 10, 2010
5:52 AM

Post #7956957

They know they are being tracked!
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 10, 2010
3:44 PM

Post #7958144

Right on, LK!

Have any of you heard whether adding insurance (also trackable) is an option for us regular folks who mail live plants? Somebody told me last year it was a waste of money unless the person mailing plants has a nurseryman's or a broker's license. Just wondering what your experience has been?

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 10, 2010
7:54 PM

Post #7958668

Insurance is only good, if you have a reciept, and picture of what you mail.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

July 11, 2010
12:18 PM

Post #7960116

oooh LindaKay, nobody ever told me you needed a photo??? I'll keep that in mind...

Hot here today, accomplished mega things, many things came on the 'to do' list resulting from these projects...Sailor girl has been uneasy all day, can't settle down..almost like she's anticipating something which isn't good...just started to rain, had to pack in all my tools..drats, wanted to at least do a batch of hypertufa..who knows, it might pass us over and there will be time later this aft. - lets hope she isn't anxious because of a tornado or something..after one hitting her 2 weeks ago first thing that comes into our minds...

Well off to the grocery store...hope you've enjoyed your weekend, wether it was being productive OR restful...

Gab later

FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 11, 2010
4:47 PM

Post #7960918

I didn't know that either, LK. Thanks for a very good tip.

We're enjoying a break from our triple digit temps & horrid humidity last week. Upper 80's and low 90's are predicted for the next week...I can handle them and they'll feel more like a cool breeze than a hot tropical breath. Clue me in, Betty. That's the first time I've heard you mention Sailor Girl.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 11, 2010
5:16 PM

Post #7960977

Yep, I learned thatthe hard way. I mailed a pair of roller blades to my son when he was in Florida. I mailed them with insurance, and they arrived broken, so I went to the post office to file a claim, and they told me that with out a reciept for the cost, and a photo to prove what they looked like, I was out of luck!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

July 11, 2010
6:19 PM

Post #7961138

Sailor girl is my border collie, a rescue dog that is now about 13..I've had her about 8 years so no real way of knowing her age...

If the telephone rings she howls and cries..if it's thundering/lightning you can't control her, she gets so upset and tries to find any corner or table to get under...

Today she's been pacing, whinning, upstairs/downstairs, fretting to beat the dickens...having a tornado just weeks ago makes one wonder if she can feel something a mere mortal like me can't feel?

Just had company leave and they were commenting as well that Sailor just can't rest tonight...

Just odd...

Thumbnail by Bettypauze

happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

July 11, 2010
7:06 PM

Post #7961267

Beautiful pic Betty, hope the puppy is just having an off day, but I know what you mean our basset hates storms and can hear them long before I have a clue.
clpgirl
Chippewa Lake, OH
(Zone 5b)

July 12, 2010
7:50 AM

Post #7962260

Wanted to post that my buddy's surprise went in the mail today! YOU are receiving something, I hope you like.

My abscence has been due to my 100 year old Dad being in and out of hosp. I am an only,(and single) and have had the care on my, sometimes not as broad as I would like, shoulders. He has had two surgeries, and developed an e.Coli infection after he was sent home,resulting in a 10 day re-hosp, plus nursing home w/ some touch and go days.

I thought we were stable and then over the weekend he was re-admitted. Home again, but will have some cardiac testing. He had two in-home caregivers that we paid to stay on with him after his hospitalization. Unfortunately, without telling me, one took another job, and when he was ready for discharge told me she couldn't cover weekends anymore. As you all can imagine, it has been a challenge at best-and a personal disappointment as well since I was depending on her, and had paid with the understanding she would be available. Unfotunately, he is incontinent, and I don't have the physical strenght to help with a lot of his self-care. So I've been either at hosp or trying to fill in at his home. RIght now, I am taking the time to stay home and post cuz the phys. therapist is with him, and I'm going in there in about an hour so he won't be alone. We are at the crossroads of placing him in assisted living which I've tried not to do since he is mentally alert.

I don't have internet where he lives-about 45 mins from here, and, of course, when he is in the hosp, can't use the computer.

I truly, truly apologize to all of you because it was with the best intentions, and excitement that i joined this swap, and one other,at the time I did so. I am embarassed that I have not yet acknowledged the wonderful box I received, and will do so in the next post below. I just wanted to let all of you know that I did not just disappeared. I've been overwhelmed, and often haven't had access or energy to even go on-line.

You are a wonderful group and I am so sorry I let you all down like this.
clpgirl
Chippewa Lake, OH
(Zone 5b)

July 12, 2010
8:20 AM

Post #7962336

Now, for the pics of the totally WONDERFUL!!!! surprise I received!

Julie, you will never know how much this meant to me in the middle of the past six weeks. I was in tears when I opened it and found all the wonderful surprises. You touched my heart, as well as delighting my hands and eyes!

Wonderful, wonderful oyster shells from the Gulf.This may sound silly but I lost my shells in my (unexpected) divorce! When my son and I had to move out, of course I forgot my beautiful shells which were in my garden. Shells I had moved with me for over 30 years, following a trip down south in 75 These mean so much to me! I have already figured out a way to plant some tiny little hens and chicks in several of them! The others are on my kitchen ledge and I think of your generosity and creativity every time I look at them.

The blueberry jam, and cookbook! Last fall I planted my first blueberries ever. (I grew up here in OH, lived in Calif for 30 years and came back). They didn't grow in Calif. I 'harvested' my first handfuls this year-and am totally looking forward to using the cookbook next year to use my fresh picked berries. I have a recipe for a fruit dip using blueberry jam, and now I have the jam-will be sharing it during our family celebration on Labor Day-if there is any left :)

I have looked at Tillandsia for years, and never brought myself to try one. (My green thumb went semi-dormant during the last years of my marriage). It has BLOOMED! and is just lovely. Since I live on a lake, the driftwood and tilly are right by my front door-and cause for oohs and aahs. The driftwood is another item I 'lost' in my divorce and, silly as it may sound, it's very special to me to have again.

Lavender is my special scent and the soap is lovely. My gardening partner says thank you also! I really appreciate that you took the time to enclose all the local information also. I may be 'forced' to order some things :)

Cheese straws will be going in to Dad's with me-a hidden snack for the stress time...

I love honey on vanilla ice cream. Since I've been to the grocery seldom in the recent past, it was very comforting to have this treat. I could pick up the ice cream at the stop n go, and come home to a bit of magic from my childhood. You know, honey from different areas does have different tastes, and this one is really really good-very light and lovely.

Again, THANK you so very, very much. As I mentioned above, your kindness and thoughtfulness mean so very much to me...

Cyndy

Thumbnail by clpgirl

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 12, 2010
8:31 AM

Post #7962372

Cyndy, prayers going out to you and your Dad! I take care of my Dad also, and I know what your going through! It is not easy!
Don't worry about being late, as we all know that life gets in the way sometimes!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

July 12, 2010
9:16 AM

Post #7962516

Lovely box of goodies...

Life it seems at times just isn't fair is it...sending prayers for both you and your dad...
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

July 12, 2010
11:47 AM

Post #7962877

clipgirl, we understand completely, so lucky to have lived alone until 100 wowzer! My Mom turned 86 and still lives a lone but does require help several times a week. She moved from a house 150 miles away to an apartment I drive by everyday which helps so much. I take lots of deep breaths...LOL just be careful you don't get light headed and pass out...LOL Course being unconsious does relieve the stress...just kidding...lol, laughing is the only cure for stress, that and a ... ;D

Take care kiddo.
Cris316
Port Norris, NJ
(Zone 7b)

July 12, 2010
7:40 PM

Post #7963952

Cyndy, Sorry to hear about your Dad that has to be stressful.
Will keep you in my prayers.
A fruit dip made w/blueberries? Sounds too yummy Not
to be shared. Would you mind posting it? I'll be heading
into the local forest to get blueberries shortly and certainly
would appreciate it.

Jax, You're sooo funny I'm still chuckling over your remarks.
You probably are right about the party tho & here I went &
blamed the neighbors :) Gertie has been restored to her
2 legged state and is watching over all growing things. Mostly
meaning the weeds !

Jaye, Its been soooo very hot but curious as to whether you
ever baked the cookies for yourself.

froggies_girl

froggies_girl
Ocean Springs, MS

July 13, 2010
7:35 AM

Post #7964738

Clpgirl,
I am so glad you were pleased with your box of goodies! The oyster shells are abundant here! Just thought I'd throw some in and was moved to tears hearing how you appreciated them so much! Really made my day!
I bought the soap, blueberry preserves, and honey at our Saturday market. I had so much fun that day picking things out for you. The honey is really good. I didn't get myself any that day, but the seller let me taste some. I'll be going back this Saturday to get some for myself. I'm going to start eating at least a teaspoon a day because it is supposed to help allergies since the honey is local!

Please do not apologize or be embarrassed about posting so late. You are doing what you need to do first (taking care of your dad) and I admire you and am inspired by your resilience. I took care of my dad the last year of his life almost by myself (have 3 siblings) and I don't regret one minute of it. I often tell others, "I'd walk that walk with him all over again just to spend more time with him." But that would be very selfish of me because I wouldn't want him to go through that again.

You take care of yourself and may God bless you. You and your dad are in my prayers. love, julie
clpgirl
Chippewa Lake, OH
(Zone 5b)

July 13, 2010
7:01 PM

Post #7966533

Thank you so much for all your care and support. Appreciated more than you know---will post the recipe in a couple days. Dad will have a caregiver the next couple days, and after I get some sleep I will be back.

You are all so lovely and wonderful to care about us! Blessings

love, cyndy...

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

July 14, 2010
3:17 AM

Post #7967057

Flowers just for you Cyndy

Thumbnail by Bettypauze

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

July 14, 2010
3:19 AM

Post #7967059

Best I send flowers to the rest of you lovely ladies...

Thumbnail by Bettypauze

happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

July 14, 2010
6:35 AM

Post #7967355

Send more send more... ;D

Are those from your garden? They are wonderful!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

July 14, 2010
6:57 AM

Post #7967388

lol..yes from my garden, taken yesterday..lovely to walk through and see new pretties each and every day!

Thumbnail by Bettypauze

happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

July 14, 2010
10:04 AM

Post #7967912

Betty it is beautiful. Love the last pic, it made me smile ear to ear.
Everything is so green and lush, the blooms are spectacular..
Cris316
Port Norris, NJ
(Zone 7b)

July 14, 2010
10:22 AM

Post #7967947

Betty,
How lovely! Surprising to see such lushness in Ontario.
I always think of Canada as being really cold.

Although I do remember something on the history channel
one time that to entice settlers to Canada, the land developers
sent flyers to Europe and emphasized in it that Canada
was on the same parallel as Spain. That certainly got a chuckle
from me.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

July 14, 2010
11:45 AM

Post #7968199

It's actually 101 with humidex this week and has been for the past week...only our winters are cold..most times during summer months we range from high 70's low 80's...

Thumbnail by Bettypauze

FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 14, 2010
4:21 PM

Post #7968828

Keeping you and your family in my T & P's, Cyndy :)

Lovely and absolutely breathtaking gardens, Betty. What wonderful inspiration too for your painting.
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

July 14, 2010
7:44 PM

Post #7969297

Are you a painter Betty? I wish I could paint, capture such beautiful moments in time.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 14, 2010
8:00 PM

Post #7969345

She is a wonderful painter!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

July 15, 2010
6:31 AM

Post #7969997

Well thank you LindaKay, I play at painting, keeps me out of mischief..

The gardens are lovely right now, did my morning walk though and you can feel the fall in them..won't be long...
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

July 15, 2010
10:09 PM

Post #7971965

Oh betty don't say that...I don't have 1/2 my list done, I just got everything out!
What zone are you? and I heard the your zone numbers are different than ours?

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

July 16, 2010
3:37 AM

Post #7972110

I'm in Zone 5A I believe...I rarely look at the zone recommendation tag, I just purchase what I like, if it lives, it lives...

Thumbnail by Bettypauze

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 16, 2010
5:18 AM

Post #7972237

So many of us are zone pushers! I don't know why the local stores sell so many plants that don't belong here? But I am glad they do, guess they like to challenge us?
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

July 16, 2010
11:17 AM

Post #7973127

Betty ignore the pun but that is a picture perfect shot. Would you come to the midwest and help me arrange the crazy flowers, I have lots of plants but they sure don't have an over effect like that. It is just a short jump...LOL

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

July 16, 2010
5:32 PM

Post #7973991

Was laughing to myself, several years ago before knowing all of you I did a month road trip to Texas sightseeing with a friend, now look at everyone I could have been visiting..could work in your gardens for a night's lodging couldn't I..

Thumbnail by Bettypauze

FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 16, 2010
5:34 PM

Post #7973997

Isn't it though? I''ve been chicken to "push my zone" in the gardens but those pics of yours, Betty, give me so much inspiration. Oh yeah, when you're finished at happ's, swing by Virginia on your way home :)

Come on over to our new room, everyone...ya never know where the path will lead us.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1116102/

jsxtiger

jsxtiger
(jax) Dundalk, MD
(Zone 7a)

July 17, 2010
6:42 PM

Post #7976743

...received a loverly package from clpgirl, today! Everything was wrapped in beautiful colored gift paper. hers sent me a bootiful keepsake history book from Chippeua Lake, Ohio! an authentic postcard from the area...hat looks ta be around me age. she collects them, ya know? Maple syrup from down the road aways (how she knew bout me sweet tooth?...the on i keep in the jar?) several pkgs of assorted beef jerky! also a dessert sweet wine. and...a real native American artifact...a real arrowhead! now that, was jist, too too much!

thank you ever so much, cindy.i will always treasure them!!!!

Thumbnail by jsxtiger

FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 17, 2010
6:58 PM

Post #7976791

LOL, Jaxe! I never knew you kept your sweet tooth in a jar! I can taste that beef jerky and my mouth's watering for maple syrup on pancakes...yum! You gonna share that bottle of wine?

Thank you, Cyndy, for making her day, espeically since we know you're going through a difficul time:)

jsxtiger

jsxtiger
(jax) Dundalk, MD
(Zone 7a)

July 17, 2010
7:54 PM

Post #7976953

now, ya know i always willing ta share...
clpgirl
Chippewa Lake, OH
(Zone 5b)

July 17, 2010
8:12 PM

Post #7976983

Thank you all for the good wishes and lovely flowers and thoughts!

I am so glad you got your box jsxtiger, and really glad I got it out when I did, cuz of course, the good night's sleep for me led to another day of taking care of Dad, cuz the caregiver didn't show. God seems to be determined to keep teaching me patience and tolerance, though I kinda thought I got that down after going through an unexpected divorce after 30 years!

I hope you enjoy our history. I'd have to show you where but I'm actually in the crowd in one of the pics from WHLO day in the early 60's! Ratted hair, pointy glasses and all! Had a copy of that book for several years before I noticed it!

But you all are so gracious with your thoughts, and pics and words. Thanks for being there. After a rough day today my half-brother and wife came by and forced me out of the house to see the 2nd annual lighted boat parade on our little lake, and then I came home to all your good thoughts.

Jsxtiger glad to hear you are pleased with the pieces of our history! We all still kinda want to keep ourselves more than a bit out of 'mainstream'. LOL! Our gardens and neighbors are about as much progress as we can stand! When I moved back here from Calif. (no offense to anyone still there-but I was in a yuppie-type suburb) no one could believe I was happy to be home here, in the middle of the 'fly over' states.

I'm a zone pusher too---over-wintering upright fushsias, and a 'cold-hardy' banana tree is my latest challenge!

Thanks so much all!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Group Trades, Swaps and Round Robins Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
ZZ's - Star-Studded - 'Tomato Seed Round-Robin'. ZZTOPSOIL 335 Aug 8, 2007 11:54 PM
CLOSED: Any newbies wanna start a round robin? kaykay1010 134 Dec 14, 2010 6:31 PM
Spring Fever RR Crimson 146 Apr 13, 2007 12:08 PM
Houseplant Swap snboyken 146 Apr 30, 2007 12:59 PM
Yesterday's News Robin's Resurrection sign-up here Gourd 284 Jul 11, 2007 4:23 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America