What is in full bloom now? JUNE 16 - JUNE 30 2010

(Julie)South Prairie, WA(Zone 7a)

We came from here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1103502/

What is in full bloom/color in your yard now? Help me build our bloom database by sharing what you feel is at it's peak right now.
Pictures are not necessary, but are always very much enjoyed. Snipets of other people's gardens are always a joy, and what a wonderful way to discover new plants that you simply MUST have!

Hopefully the second half of June is less waterlogged and our blooms can shine to their full potential without being beaten down or shredded by hail.

This is my unknown but wonderful clem that is growing on my grape arbor. The flowers are huge... I would say an easy 6-8" in diameter.

Thumbnail by Rarejem
Cedarhome, WA(Zone 8b)

Very pretty. How do your clematis do competing with grapes? I have a row of 6 grape vines trained up an overhead trellis with geraniums at their feet. I keep the grapes trimmed of leaves up to the trellis and would love to introduce some other vines. Oh, here's a photo I just took after weeding the geraniums.

Thumbnail by bonehead
Langley, WA(Zone 7b)

I have peonies in full bloom right now. Beaten down by the rain but in full bloom. My bright orange lilies are just starting to open..

The tree anemone (Carpenteria californica) is just in the beginning stages of opening and will probably open while we're gone, if it's sunny out.

Monkshood started opening this past week. One stalk is fully opened with the others starting in.

Yellow phlomus also just starting and will probably be fully open by the time we get back from Montana. It's pretty this year with a blue geranium snaking up thru it. I'll try and get photos when I get back.

Bonehead, That is a wonderful grape trellis! My clem does great with the grapes, but I have to keep the leaves in that area pruned back. I think that they would be a lovely addition to your area! This is a poor picture, but shows how happy the clem is, and it makes a wonderfully colorful and green addition this time of year when the grapes are kind of boring.

Thumbnail by Rarejem
Southern NJ, United States(Zone 7a)

Don't do what we did and try growing trumpet vine on your arbor. Grapes do NOT like them, and they also become invasive. It was very hard to get every last node of them out after we introduced them.

Cedarhome, WA(Zone 8b)

I suspect I now have ample reason to shop for some beautious clems to add to the grape arbor. Fun. I also wrapped some little white lights around the grapes shortly after their winter prune and hope to enjoy a little 'ambience' this summer, perhaps with a glass of wine.

Popped some tomatoes in today, but holding out on the peppers (I like to let the nurseries feed/water them as long as possible since I don't have a greenhouse myself).

Buckley, WA(Zone 7b)

I played with my new camera today, so I have a lot of pictures. Hope I don't bore you to death!

NOID shrub. I love this little shrub, but I have no idea what it is.

Thumbnail by LynnPhillips
Buckley, WA(Zone 7b)

Here is my new sidewalk garden. Remember how this looked last year at the Roundup? It was a muddy mess because we had just dug it up to put in the new patio, driveway, and water to the GH.

Buckley, WA(Zone 7b)

Here it is again, showing off my pretty lettuces. I have never grown lettuce before. Thanks, Azorina, for getting me hooked on the beauty of lettuce!

Buckley, WA(Zone 7b)

Physocarpus Ember Glow is so pretty.

Buckley, WA(Zone 7b)

My poor Peonies took a beating from the rain.

Buckley, WA(Zone 7b)

My lone yellow rose.

Buckley, WA(Zone 7b)

Poppies self sowed themselves.

Buckley, WA(Zone 7b)

Happy Banana is growing taller every day!

Buckley, WA(Zone 7b)

Bleeding Heart

Buckley, WA(Zone 7b)

Lupines are looking better this year. This is not showing them at their peak.

Buckley, WA(Zone 7b)

These Calla Lilies are originally from my house in Aberdeen, where I planted them 20 years ago. I moved some to my Federal Way house 10 years ago, and I moved some here 2 years ago.

Buckley, WA(Zone 7b)

Another Calla Lily

Buckley, WA(Zone 7b)

My Dianthus looks like a big bouquet

Buckley, WA(Zone 7b)

Last one for the night, Iceberg Rose

Cedarhome, WA(Zone 8b)

Lynn, very lovely pics. Glad you found your camera.

(Linda)Gig Harbor, WA(Zone 8a)

Lynn-your NOID shrub looks like Kalmia latifolia I had one until I killed it..(the story of my gardening attempts). And my calla lilies aren't even budding!

Southern NJ, United States(Zone 7a)

What a beautiful place, Lynn! It looks like a lot of work went into making it that way; you must enjoy it so much!

Langley, WA(Zone 7b)

Lynn, Everything looks great. Love the new side garden.

Now plant some pansies and sweet alyssum between the lettuces - I can't get enough of that combination.

How come some people have such good luck with callas and others don't. We have one garden here in Langley that has a huge clump of them. I brought some back from my mom's yard in Calif. My sister grows them in pots and then when they multiply, she divides them and puts the 'extras' in the ground. So has quite a nice stand now. So I brought some back to try the same thing. They are still in pots and doing not much of anything. But it's been pretty cold and cloudy here. I need to move the pots out to a sunnier location I think.

Bonehead, Don't you love a perfectly good excuse to go plant shopping? ^_^

Lynn, your garden is looking just fantastic! Your driveway garden is looking wonderful... SOOO much better than boring grass!

Gwen, I have always done wonderfully with callas and thought that they were super easy... then almost lost my biggest one last year. I am assuming that it was because of the early freeze, but we have had longer and colder many times in winters past, and other than turning to black slime when it freezes, it had never phased them. Wierd.

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

I think the key with Callas is that they need their feet wet and their heads in the sun. That's not so easy for most of us to achieve . . .

(Pony) Lakewood, WA(Zone 8a)

My callas are growing so slowly this year. It just hasn't been warm enough for them.

(Pony) Lakewood, WA(Zone 8a)

This noid DL just popped its first bloom today. :)

Thumbnail by the1pony
Union, WA(Zone 8b)

My pink Kalmia.

Thumbnail by Willowwind2
Union, WA(Zone 8b)

New 'Persian Sheild' in a jug my DD gave me for MomS Day.

Thumbnail by Willowwind2
Union, WA(Zone 8b)

Colorful birds at the feeder.

Thumbnail by Willowwind2
Union, WA(Zone 8b)

Red Kalmia.

Thumbnail by Willowwind2
Union, WA(Zone 8b)

Beautiful peony.

Thumbnail by Willowwind2
Union, WA(Zone 8b)

Red lily.

Thumbnail by Willowwind2
Union, WA(Zone 8b)

Roses and raindrops

Thumbnail by Willowwind2
Union, WA(Zone 8b)

Ha. How is this color scheme?

Thumbnail by Willowwind2
Union, WA(Zone 8b)

NOID pink shrub rose.

Thumbnail by Willowwind2
Union, WA(Zone 8b)

Pink peony.

Thumbnail by Willowwind2
Union, WA(Zone 8b)

I have a lot of pure white foxglove if anyone wants seeds.

Thumbnail by Willowwind2
Union, WA(Zone 8b)

Hosta are huge this year.

Thumbnail by Willowwind2

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.