Photo by Melody

Article: Fungi As Your Garden Partners - Enlisting the T-22 to Terminate Root Pathogens: soil health

Communities > Forums > Article: Fungi As Your Garden Partners - Enlisting the T-22 to Terminate Root Pathogens
bookmark
Forum: Article: Fungi As Your Garden Partners - Enlisting the T-22 to Terminate Root PathogensReplies: 3, Views: 30
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
mableruth
Bolingbrook, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 16, 2010
3:54 PM

Post #7894697

When I started to dig holes and plant plants this week, I found that just under the mulch there is a mysterious substance which is white, thready, and somtimes clumps. What ever it is , I found it in every area of my garden. If anyone knows what this is, please tell me. Also what to do about it. I feel so discouraged about getting back out there now. My health prevents me from doing as much as I would like out there, but it always makes me feel happy when I can spend a little time with my plants. Some of them are more like friends that I have had for years and years instead of just plants. Yeah, I talk to them. :) It cannot hurt anyway!!
LariAnn
Miami, FL
(Zone 10a)

June 16, 2010
4:46 PM

Post #7894789

This is a common fungus that grows on decaying matter such as moist mulch. It is ubiquitous in forests, mulched gardens and even in containers that have chipped bark or wood as one of the media ingredients. You should not have to do anything about it but turn the mulch with a small rake so it can air out a little. Unless you see plants dying, it is probably not a pathogenic fungus.

Some of these fungi are actually beneficial to trees and shrubs, forming a symbiotic or mycorrhizal relationship with them.

LariAnn
mableruth
Bolingbrook, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 16, 2010
6:10 PM

Post #7895100

LariAnn , Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! I am so relieved to hear that I do not have to rip the whole garden apart. Just some air is what is needed. My DH always likes to get mulch that is large wood chips and I always want something smaller that would decompose into the dirt easier. Now I feel perfectly justified in insisting on what I want. After 45 years I guess he will survive it. It is so great to have somewhere - - someone - - that I can ask when I have a problem. I feel happy again.
LariAnn
Miami, FL
(Zone 10a)

June 16, 2010
6:55 PM

Post #7895238

I'm so glad I was able to help! Let me know how it goes.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Fungi As Your Garden Partners - Enlisting the T-22 to Terminate Root Pathogens Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
I always enjoy your articles Illoquin 8 Jul 31, 2010 10:02 PM
Absolutely fascinating! doccat5 2 Feb 28, 2008 12:04 AM
More research with T22 starlight1153 1 Feb 28, 2008 1:53 AM
Using T-22 Indy 2 Mar 8, 2008 9:17 PM
Concern about BT the_naturalist 1 Jul 26, 2010 3:40 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America