water filter pitchers .. which one is best?

montgomery, AL(Zone 7b)

I want to get a filter pitcher but there is several out there & I am confused about which one to get. I live alone so size shouldn't be too big a problem.
I sure could use some recommendations.
Thanks for any help.
Dar

Laceys Spring, AL(Zone 7a)

Hi Dar,

I think they are all pretty good. I now have a whole-house filter and also use a filter in my refrigerator, so am not currently using one in my house. My DD uses a Brita & I just bought a new one for our lake condo. Target has the 10-cup model on sale and you get a $5 gift card with purchase. Offer should be good thru this Saturday.

I think the main consideration would be the availability of replacement filters. Being in M'gomery, I'm sure you have access to all the major big-box stores and I believe they all carry them. But for someone who does not have a good source it might be a consideration.

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

Sugar ~ have you purchased one yet?

A friend that lives in town swears by Pur but he is filtering city water.

We are on a well and have sulfur in our water (blech!)

I have tried three different pitcher filters with no success on removing the sulfur taste. Maybe someday...

What have you found?

Victoria, TX(Zone 9b)

podster - it'll take more than a standard "bigboxstore" filter to remove sulfur.. that'll be a bigger issue - I have the same problem at my house. I bought a water "cooler", and I purchased refillable 5 & 3 gallon jugs...

BF has city water, and uses a Brita in-fridge storage container w/filter. Removes the free chlorine smell & solid particles. Yummy!

South, TX

I don't have pitchers anymore but I am sure they are better than nothing. I have a Berkey Water filter. It is VERY good. Makes pure water and since I have to drink a lot of water, I wanted to get the cleanest I could find. It's also pretty!

This message was edited Aug 30, 2010 12:19 PM

Thumbnail by Sallysblooms

Thanks ~ I could actually bring city water home from work but we have so many boiled water notices and other issues with it that I cringe at that thought. I carry our well water to work to make coffee with and it gets lots of comments. I can and do drink it when it is coffee or tea or other flavored drinks. Just don't like the plain water taste due to sulfur. I may have to look around for a spot to put a water cooler. Thanks for that thought.

Victoria, TX(Zone 9b)

Cost a little up front

Refill charges are super cheap compared to gallons purchased at the bigbox stores

Sallysblooms ~ I had looked at the Berkey but didn't know if it would do what I needed either and surely hated to spend that much money to find out.

The Katadyn table top water filter says it has a filter that will remove bacteria as well as a carbon filter to reduce chemicals and foul taste/odor. If I knew for sure, I'd try it.

South, TX

The Berkey is amazing, did you Google about it, lots of good reviews and information. My parents have had one for several years. With my CFS etc, I had to find the best I could. Makes drinking a lot of water easy, tastes so good.

Yes, I have researched both Berkey & Katadyn filters. There is just no guarantee it will remove the sulfur. Our well water is good other than that and I have no problem drinking it ~ I just dislike the after taste. I am glad the Big Berkey works for you. That makes having to drink water more palatable.

Victoria, TX(Zone 9b)

podster - If you're at all concerned the water isn't safe to drink, or you want to confirm it's safe to drink, you SHOULD be able to get in touch with the local city water authorities about a bag & test... for bacteria and all the other assortments..

At least that's how we did it when I worked for the water treatment Co. in Pennsylvania...
I don't drink my well water, or use it for coffee... washing me, washing house, washing clothes, watering the fourlegged furries.. that's 'bout it. :)

I'm o.k. with our well water (except for the sulfur). Our little city has a vintage water system that frequently springs leaks. When the pressure drops, they send out boiled water notices or dose it heavily with chemicals that you can catch a whiff of when you turn on the faucet. I just prefer not to drink it... thanks!

Victoria, TX(Zone 9b)

ok.. was just a suggestion...

Our answer when folks complained about the chlorine odor? "The bacteria we're killing will do a serious amount of damage to the digestive system of even the healthiest folks. We're killing those bugs before they make you very, very, sick."

Yep ~ I know it is for our own good and except for a few folks with health issues it shouldn't present a problem.

I just know more than I should and yet not enough as I should so I'm apprehensive about it. LOL

Victoria, TX(Zone 9b)

Then as a chemist with water treatment experience, let me tell you what I know ...

Chlorine, as it's present in the water, passes through a normal human system. Kind of like when you eat too much (no matter how good it is for you), the body doesn't have a use for it, it, um, "passes on". Talk with your doctor if you're on prescriptions & concerned about it reacting with or mixing with any medications you're on.

Otherwise, it's not going to hurt you. There would be a lot more deaths from drinking chlorine disinfected water if it was harmful. Yes, there are internet websites that say water purification is bad for you. There are websites, and studies, that will say *everything* is bad for you. And, yes, if you drank swimming pool water every day, you'd probably get an upset tummy. The levels required for swimming pools are much higher than those from the water tap (and you can guess why).

The damaging effects of e.coli, and other bacteria present in most river & lake sources significantly outweigh the inconvenient smell & taste chlorine purification sometimes brings.

I sincerely appreciate your sharing your expertise. I am o.k. with the chlorine. I don't take any meds that would be affected by any added chemicals. I think my aversion is with the lackadaisical care the local water system is handled.

I know one man that developed H pylori as a result of drinking the water after it had received a low pressure contamination but before the warning was noted. It took him many months of antibiotics before his system was back on track. Another woman with a malady that has her on oxygen has been warned by the local medical field to avoid the city water also.

No, I am comfortable with our well water except for the sulfur taste. I do understand it is harmless and use it in brewed and flavored beverages. Just a matter of personal dislike of the taste. I had read between the lines when you said

Quoting:
it'll take more than a standard "bigboxstore" filter to remove sulfur.. that'll be a bigger issue
that you were knowledgable and I do appreciate that. Thanks.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images