You have too many plants! 2

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Thought I would start a new thread
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/563917/#new

Thumbnail by ge1836
(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Here's the photo we all seem to love so much, thanks to kattamos, which was the subject of "Too many plants". This thread is an extension of the one by kattamos.

Thumbnail by pirl
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Of course. I am new at starting new carryovers. Sorry for the mistake.

Thanks for the image Pirl.

Powder Springs, GA(Zone 7b)

You can never have too many, can you?

Thumbnail by hcmcdole
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I just love those begonias.Its not possible here.Thanks for sharing

hcm - beautiful.

ge - not here either.

Why is it not possible?

Thumbnail by hcmcdole
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Not humid enough and definatly not a perennial except as a house plant.I vant even keep them then.Dry in the winter.

Hmm, I thought the original post showed lots of begonias, coleus, colocasia, etc. which aren't perennials in most areas of the states. Begonias have to be moved indoors each fall and back out each spring. You can't be that arid to not grow begonias (even a couple).

Thumbnail by hcmcdole

Ge and I are proof! I wish it were otherwise but I've tried more than once and haven't had success. With so many beautiful plants on the market I won't spend more money on plants that don't like the conditions here.

Don't blame you there. Begonias can be frustrating when you first start in them but after you get the hang of what they want, they become like most other plants - addictive and fairly easy.

Millie & Ed Thompson who wrote the bible on begonias lived in NYC. Not sure if they gardened outdoors though. Below is a tribute to Millie's contributions.

http://www.begonias.org/milliethompson.htm

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I had an Escargo that lasted 1 year.

Escargot is the very worst begonia a novice could ever buy. The absolute worst. Why it is marketed so heavily is beyond me. The vendor/grower should have all kinds of warnings and advice posted in large letters on this begonia.

Try a rhizomatous begonia next time (non-rex) and you should have better luck. There are many rexes that are a lot easier than Escargot too.

Here is one that is fairly easy - 'Art Hodes' and it gets big if you let it.

Thumbnail by hcmcdole
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Just fantastic
This is our 1 and only begonia.It blooms like mad in the winter.Just wonderful to see when the ground is covered with snow.

Thumbnail by ge1836

Nice looking beefsteak (B. 'Erythrophylla')

Here is one of mine.

Thumbnail by hcmcdole
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

very nice.I like the ruffled edges

This one looks like a beefsteak - on steroids! This is B. 'Freddie' which gets very large. Leaves are over 12 inches across and is about 2.5 feet tall.

Thumbnail by hcmcdole
Sun Lakes, AZ(Zone 9a)

Well, I sure can't grow them here, but I love seeing all yours, hcmcdole! Is your yard really shady with big trees? It looks like it from your pictures of the begonias.

Brooklyn, NY(Zone 7b)

Well.. grown on my roof .. but tucked way in an often shaded planter.. I have a few...yes they and the tropicalss have to winter inside.. or in the cool room...

Thumbnail by GordonHawk
Austin, TX

Gordon I've recently become interested in Begonias. Your's are gorgeous! Another Austin DG'r introduced via a fun roadtrip to a nursery, the best, in Seguin. We literally came back with a truck load between us. (jus kiddin' hubby's) I got 4 yummy varieties I'll snap and post.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Best of my tubs June 21 Not a great year for coleus here.
http://picasaweb.google.com/jgentle4/BestOfTubsJune21

Hey Nancy,

Yes I do have some tall trees but also some very sunny sites too. Two of my begonias had some burning on their leaves due to excessive heat last week (mid 90's with heat index mid 100's). I moved one to a bit more shade and the other one just gave it a lot of water. Most of my canes receive direct noon day to mid afternoon sun for at least one hour or more. If I want blooms then they need some sun. If I want large showy leaves then deeper shade. Here is Silvermist one year in deep shade - no blooms but the leaves were quite showy.

Thumbnail by hcmcdole

SIlvermist with hours of sun produces blooms but the leaves have a different look.

Thumbnail by hcmcdole
Sun Lakes, AZ(Zone 9a)

Wow, that is amazing! What a difference with sun. I bet it is a trick sometimes to get just the right amount of sun for what you are trying to do! You are lucky to have such a wonderful environment for begonias. But I'm lucky to have a wonderful environment for desert plants like Echinopsis!

Sun Lakes, AZ(Zone 9a)

I wanted to add a picture of an Echinopsis!

Thumbnail by NancySLAZ

Beautiful blooming cacti. Hard to beat!

Here is one I had years ago and lost it.

Thumbnail by hcmcdole
Austin, TX

Nancy and hcmc, all I can say is oooh, aaaaah. Hope I get blooms soon.

Christiana, TN(Zone 6b)

Oh. Oh. Oh my! I haven't seen a pic on this thread where there are too many plants. Is it really possible to have too many? There is always a way to squeeze in one more isn't there?
I am starting to move some of my begonias into more light per hc's advice. Eldora is getting quite a bit of afternoon sun and she is looking good so far. Sophie Cecile is next.
hc, will Freddie overwinter well? Even if it lost its leaves? I think I'm going to have to cram my begonias closer together this winter. I am getting so many new ones.

Brooklyn, NY(Zone 7b)

well along with the begonias .. there's a pile of others making up too many.. all in containers on the roof... OH OH.. is that another flat ready to be planted...

Thumbnail by GordonHawk
Brooklyn, NY(Zone 7b)

this is my favorite grouping today... I don't believe there room for another there... but still not too many....

Thumbnail by GordonHawk

What a treat for the eyes!

Brooklyn, NY(Zone 7b)

in the evening it's a paradise of aroma as the angle trumpets and jasmine play on other senses as well

Thumbnail by GordonHawk

Looking good on the brugs there.

Fireball and Plum Crazy hibiscus pushed together for comparison.

Thumbnail by hcmcdole
Brooklyn, NY(Zone 7b)

THANKS ALL...Yes HC.. they do look great.. see this photo also...there are dozens of them...
funny.. that's one of the benefits of container growing.. you can make a group of flowering plants together in a minute.. for their photo.. give them the best light.. and background.. then back to wher they grow best

Thumbnail by GordonHawk

The scene is lovely - especially the flag!

Austin, TX

hcmc, the red is gorgeousbut I especially love the tone down in the throat of Plum crazy.

gordon, move my pots for pix...you and whose army, I'm little, they're big mostly.
I like the flag too.

coming back from houston this am I saw a ranch gate with a huge star over their gate and really wide red,white, and blue bunting on the 2 sides of the fence for about 2 car lengths each side, and 2 containers of red geraniums on the stone pillars.

Clinton, CT(Zone 6b)

I just got my first begonia, 'New York Swirl' It is in a light room with no direct sunlight getting to it. I have only had it for 2 weeks and is seems to be growing already. I keep spinning the pot as it was only in a 2 1/2" pot when I bought it, so it was lopsided when I re-potted it. Is this a hard begonia for my first?? Now i'm worried...

Thumbnail by blupit007
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

nice garden ,Hawk.The space looks great.

Austin, TX

Hi ge, gordon, & pirl, I hear NY got a record heat wave, up in triple digits.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Its nearly 5 o'clock and 95 * the poor garden.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images