Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Article: Aunt Bett's Alum Root: Wild Geranium: wild geraniums

Communities > Forums > Article: Aunt Bett's Alum Root: Wild Geranium
bookmark
Forum: Article: Aunt Bett's Alum Root: Wild GeraniumReplies: 19, Views: 100
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
daphnep
Jonesboro, GA

June 17, 2010
12:31 PM

Post #7897181

'loved your story about "uncle Sinc" I look forward to your stories. thanks Pat
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

June 17, 2010
9:46 PM

Post #7898413

Pat, thank you so much.

It's always good to know there are readers out there.

I wrote this story some time ago, but just last week I was back home in the mountains and walked the road down past Uncle Sinc's house. It looked much the same, and it was so good to see it. Even the old barn is still there, empty even now. Lots of memories!

Happy Gardening, Pat, thanks again.

onewish1

onewish1
Denville, NJ
(Zone 6b)

October 5, 2010
3:09 AM

Post #8138605

your stories are always enjoyable
Adaylilyfan
York, PA

October 5, 2010
4:05 AM

Post #8138642

What pictures you've painted in the reader's mind. I don't know which is more graphic-- you throwing a fit for hours, those icky "overhauls", Uncle Sinc so happy to drink the tea Aunt Bett made, or that crazy, happy old mule you gave some much-needed attention.

What a wonderful story. 2 2 cute. JK

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 5, 2010
5:39 AM

Post #8138735

As always, another wonderful article/story! Made me feel I was right there next to you and uncle Sinc!

Linda Kay

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

October 5, 2010
6:37 AM

Post #8138866

This story brought one of those happy tears to my eyes. I have a new respect for my pink wild geranium other than it's unusual and no one else has it.

I love the way you say you ''took it to heart.'' I've heard the phrase, but I never thought about it much. I guess your story put things in perspective for me today.

God Bless Uncle Sinc. He knew there would be a right time to meet you.
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

October 5, 2010
7:47 AM

Post #8138982

The memory brings a tear to me, too. I wish I could spend another day with all those who had important lessons for me to learn. And those I remember well are those who had the most important lessons. A kaleidescope of memories plays through my mind. Is that living in the past? Maybe so.

Pat, onewish, Linda Kay, JK, and Billy Porter...your words make me smile. I 'take them to heart'. Thank you!

BP...so glad you have the plant.

irisMA

irisMA
South Hamilton, MA

October 5, 2010
7:47 AM

Post #8138983

I always knew the plant as 'cranesbill' not 'alum root'. It's good to know. Loved the story, many old or even younger men share personality with mules. We all always read you.
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

October 5, 2010
8:02 AM

Post #8139006

Iris!!!!! I love that: 'Many old or even younger men share personality with mules!!!" How funny!

I had a great grandfather who was like that. He sat on the front porch and shook his cane at me. He couldn't hear at all and I'd try to talk with him, then he'd answer me with a roar. Scared me to death.

I think now that he was just trying in his own way to play, but I didn't know that then.

Yep, a lot of men are like that.
Grumbly.

Thank you!
NanuBunny
Poquoson, VA
(Zone 8a)

October 5, 2010
8:18 AM

Post #8139026

Awwww, what a sweet story! I enjoyed it as usual, a little "vacation" during a work morning. I always love checking in on a Tuesday morning, because I know, no matter how frustrating the computers are, I can always get away to the Kentucky mountains with Sharon and Aunt Bett.

Love,

Bonnie
DEMinPA
Selinsgrove, PA
(Zone 5b)

October 5, 2010
8:35 AM

Post #8139049

Great story. I just traded for seeds of the wild geranium and will try to get them started.

Thanks for another great story and have a great day.

Don
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

October 5, 2010
8:37 AM

Post #8139054

Bonnie...you've read so many of them you could probably find your way all around my mountains!

Luck with your wild geraniums, Don, they should grow well for you.

Thank you!
gloria125
Greensboro, AL

October 5, 2010
9:45 AM

Post #8139152

Now there is a plant with a pucker! Thanks for another great one, Sharran!
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

October 5, 2010
3:39 PM

Post #8139681

Ha!! What a thought, Gloria. Alum...

Thank you!
JLWP
Denton, TX

October 11, 2010
11:55 AM

Post #8150591

So glad I paused from working to check out Dave's Garden and read your story! Being a city girl, I love visiting rural relatives and hearing stories about the "old times" and all of the farm and country goings-on that this suburban girl can only imagine. There's an entirely new world of experiences out there in rural life and I thank you for bringing it to life in your wonderful, written down memory!
HappyJackMom
Happy Jack, AZ
(Zone 5a)

October 11, 2010
1:30 PM

Post #8150728

Ah Sharon, I knew you had a mule story or two! Great story, as usual. My Grandpa taught me how to make scissors out of 'Cranebills' and ladies with pretty dresses out of Hollyhock blooms. Thanks for the memories.

Donna

irisMA

irisMA
South Hamilton, MA

October 11, 2010
1:36 PM

Post #8150742

I can do hollyhock dolls myself.
NanuBunny
Poquoson, VA
(Zone 8a)

October 11, 2010
1:52 PM

Post #8150772

Oh, my gosh, I had forgotten about hollyhock dolls! Wow, what a lovely memory!
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

October 11, 2010
4:32 PM

Post #8151014

JL, it was my pleasure. I'm so glad you enjoyed the story!

Hi Donna...I saved this one just for you! I'm glad you enjoyed it...my one and only mule experience!! And it's nothing at all like yours, but sweet to remember anyway. Thank you.

Iris...you and Bonnie have one up on me. I don't know how to do hollyhock dolls. Nobody ever taught me! Remember the Christmas angel story I wrote a couple of years ago? I think that doll was the only one Aunt Bett ever had, so I'm not sure how much creative imagination she had time for when she was little. Granny Ninna did teach me to make corn husk dolls, though. Does that count?

So good to hear from all of you. Thank you!

irisMA

irisMA
South Hamilton, MA

October 11, 2010
7:48 PM

Post #8151354

I think corn husk are probaqbly more difficult. Hoolyhock ones are rather fragile--using the bloosom upside down as the skirt.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Aunt Bett's Alum Root: Wild Geranium Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
One of your best...! Horseshoe 10 Oct 12, 2010 7:21 AM
Wild geraniums davidiis 2 Oct 11, 2010 4:45 PM
Sharon Brown missysrose 1 Oct 11, 2010 4:42 PM
Wild Geranium Hypatia10 1 Oct 11, 2010 4:41 PM
Something learned 3pmp 5 Oct 12, 2010 8:07 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America