Photo by Melody

Insect and Spider Identification: Caterpillars (or worms) eating my marigolds - what are they?

Communities > Forums > Insect and Spider Identification
bookmark
Forum: Insect and Spider IdentificationReplies: 1, Views: 46
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
kpearse
New Milford, NJ

June 17, 2010
1:51 PM

Post #7897337

I've attached a photo of the little buggers.
They are about 1/2 to 1 inch long w brown stripes.
They're on my marigolds in flower boxes & on my potted daisies.
They seem to burrow into the flower & right down thru the stem, leaving behind pepper-like excrement along with a rotten flower.
Help!
I've tried spraying with Ortho max bug be gone (local nursery sold me) - but they're still here!
How do I get rid of these things before I have no flowers left???

Thumbnail by kpearse
Click the image for an enlarged view.

XMelissaX
Indianapolis, IN
(Zone 5b)

June 17, 2010
10:20 PM

Post #7898446

My suggestion would be to post the pic in the insect id forum and try to find out what it is. You may find out that it's a beautiful butterfly that may be worth sacrificing a few flowers for. If it turns out to be a very damaging pest you'll know better what it is and what means of removal are more effective than spraying with an ineffective insecticide that may cause harm to the beneficials in your garden. Other than that, I'm sorry - I have no idea what it is or what to do about it. Hope someone can id for you.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Insect and Spider Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Tiny Red Critters Angel 24 May 28, 2013 5:14 PM
SOLVED: Do you know what kind of Spider this is? dignbloom 55 Aug 18, 2012 4:36 PM
SOLVED: green caterpillar xox_kitkat_xox 4 Jan 24, 2010 9:05 PM
SOLVED: Name this insect? Dinu 16 Oct 19, 2008 2:54 PM
SOLVED: Red Spider about the diameter of a penny gardenwife 24 Oct 10, 2009 10:41 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America