Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Garden Shed: OK - Have you used any edger/trimmer that works and is light

Communities > Forums > Garden Shed
bookmark
Forum: Garden ShedReplies: 8, Views: 104
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
crockny
Kerhonkson, NY
(Zone 5a)

June 17, 2010
2:21 PM

Post #7897404

OK so no response to the WORX trimmer -- how about other cordless lightweight edgers/trimmers? I have multiple beds bordered with rocks and a "moat" of mulch covered plastic. I can't get close enough with a mower so there's always a long "tuft" of grass, weeds, clover at the edge of the beds and I need an expedient way to keep it clean -- any ideas? I've been on my hands and knees with a handheld electric thingie but that's getting old and too hard ...

Thumbnail by crockny
Click the image for an enlarged view.

growum
st.george, NB
(Zone 5a)

June 17, 2010
4:54 PM

Post #7897761

I have an Earthwise 18 volt string trimmer. Just got it this year and really like it. Takes about 3-4 hours to charge and will go for 1-2 hours on this charge which most of the time is long enough for me. The whole thing is light weight and I find it easy to manage. Little old lady here so light weight is important and I like the fact I don't have to worry about gasing up. Can get close to things with it and it will even cut raspberry canes and thistles. My neighbour has a gas powered one and this one is just as good. I am very pleased with it.
adbjwb
Madison, MS
(Zone 8a)

June 17, 2010
5:01 PM

Post #7897777

I researched the WORX and decided AGAINST making the purchase. Thanks for starting this thread as I, too, am looking for a good, light weight, easy to use edger/trimmer - both for myself (middle aged) and a senior citizen.
Pamgarden
Central, VA
(Zone 7b)

June 19, 2010
2:35 PM

Post #7903297

I'm looking for the same thing. I now have a Black & Decker scissor-like trimmer that runs out of oomph in about ten minutes. It's both inadequate for the job and uncomfortable, since I have to get on my knees or bend over and reach. I'm looking for the dream machine that I can stand upright with and use for 1/2 hour to an hour. Really, is that too much to ask?
crockny
Kerhonkson, NY
(Zone 5a)

June 22, 2010
9:34 AM

Post #7910275

I will look into the Earthwise machine -- sounds great. In the meantime I bought a cheap Black and Decker corded electric string trimmer that a friend recommended -- not fond of the cord idea but will let you how it works ... it's supposedly very lightweight and easy to handle ... Black & Decker ST1000 9-Inch 1.8 amp Electric Grass Trimmer -- I got it from Amazon
growum
st.george, NB
(Zone 5a)

June 22, 2010
2:42 PM

Post #7911012

The Earthwise has no cord and a battery you can take off and bring in the house (or wherever) to charge. I have just been out for an hour and a half before it ran out of steam and was cutting some pretty heavy duty stuff - long grass, thistles and rasberry canes. To do just around the gardens it seems to go forever. It is perfect for me.

riceke

riceke
Snellville, GA
(Zone 7b)

June 23, 2010
6:16 AM

Post #7912874

I just bought the Balck and Decker 18V Cordless Trimmer that came with a 2 batteries and a charger for around $99 at HD. Gotta say it's lightweight and easy to use. I got about 20-30 minutes of constant usage. With 2 batteries, one that I keep on charger all the time, I have enough to do the whole 1/3 acre of trimming. No noise, no gas, no mixing oil, no hard starting and no cord dragging. I've used it twice and like it more each time I use it.
LeBug
Greenville, IN
(Zone 6a)

June 23, 2010
8:20 AM

Post #7913244

I was going to answer your other thread about the WORX and saw this one, I'm happy with mine it goes for a little over an hour haven't really timmed it but I have to charge it up and do my weeding on different days because I have so much to do but it even goes thru the weeds that have gotten taller and I was really surprised of that didn't think it would. It takes me hours to do my trimming I have so much of it even longer to mow the grass because I have so many plants every where lol

I have a field that I have to trim around plants and really got tired of the cord thing I had four cords hooked together to get the field and three to do my lawn lol It's so light I just love it and I couldn't do a gas one because of corpel tunnel can't do the pulling of the starter. It's so light it doesn't hurt my back either and it's not seven foot long that's a plus in my book too it's short enough to be comfortable while I use it I hate fighting those long weeders that are as tall as me.

I have pieces of carpet laying every where to make new beds and yes it does trim around the edges nicely I've never really used the trimmer for the sidewalk I have daylilies lining my side walk on both sides so I don't need it there and able to mow along my drive on one side the other side has flowers all down it.

I was using those hand held trimmers too and got so tired of them I used to think they were the greatest thing invented until I got my WORX. I might add that thing to keep you from hitting your plants works out real well too I was always hitting my plants with my other trimmer!

I bought mine last year and already looks like they have improved it but I'm happy with what mine does it suits me just fine :)
crockny
Kerhonkson, NY
(Zone 5a)

June 30, 2010
2:10 PM

Post #7933501

Ah finally, someone who bought the WORX! I really don't know what to do. The B&D corded trimmer I ordered from Amazon didn't work out because Amazon won't tell you how they're shipping and USPS won't deliver to my house apparently ... it came from Kansas and went back there!

I'm going to visit Lowe's this weekend ...

You'd think they could come up with something with all the technology around these days ...

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Garden Shed Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Quick-Disconnects for garden hoses? darius 18 Oct 5, 2007 8:07 PM
A Man and His Tractor LadibugZ9 16 May 12, 2007 6:29 PM
Tractor on it's way!!!! whooo-hoooo!!! cici77 16 Apr 26, 2008 9:24 PM
Old Reliable CountryGardens 49 Apr 16, 2010 8:20 AM
Your thoughts on a Mantis? Kell 122 Apr 16, 2012 5:53 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America