Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Caudiciforms: Adenium Question Please

Communities > Forums > Caudiciforms
bookmark
Forum: CaudiciformsReplies: 15, Views: 155
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
newtonsthirdlaw
Arlington, TX

June 17, 2010
2:59 PM

Post #7897546

I ordered some small plants this spring, 2 arabicum seedlings, a grafted white plant and some little dwarfish thing that looks like an alien hand.
All are doing well except the alien. It has been trying to leaf out for months, I actually thought it was dead it got so shriveled up.
Yesterday it fell out of the pot when I moved them all to more sun. I noticed what few roots it had are mostly gone. It was in heat, outside in good draining soil and I tried to only water when it was bone dry. The new leaves are tiny and not really "out" so to speak just kind of poking out the top. Any suggestions for the little thing? I repotted to even more coarse soil and I really don't know what is going on with it. It doesn't feel rotted in the caudex.
C
bwolfsohn
Fort Lauderdale, FL

June 18, 2010
7:36 AM

Post #7899107

Message removed by sender

Brian

This message was edited Aug 23, 2010 4:45 PM
newtonsthirdlaw
Arlington, TX

June 18, 2010
7:55 AM

Post #7899181

It had some roots when it arrived but those have mostly atrophied (sp?). Here is a pic but since its planted you cannot see the bottom.
C

Thumbnail by newtonsthirdlaw
Click the image for an enlarged view.

newtonsthirdlaw
Arlington, TX

June 18, 2010
7:58 AM

Post #7899188

With his friends for size.

Thumbnail by newtonsthirdlaw

bwolfsohn
Fort Lauderdale, FL

June 18, 2010
9:06 AM

Post #7899345

This message was edited Aug 23, 2010 4:45 PM
newtonsthirdlaw
Arlington, TX

June 18, 2010
9:29 AM

Post #7899392

What is superthrive? I have a root stimulator, will that work? He is in part sun, meaning it gets morning sun for a few hours then out of the intense afternoon sun. I honestly don't know what the problem is as he was treated the same as the other 3 plants that I ordered at the same time. If there is rot it is inside and I couldn't feel or see it. Time will tell I guess.
C
bwolfsohn
Fort Lauderdale, FL

June 18, 2010
10:13 AM

Post #7899513

This message was edited Aug 23, 2010 4:46 PM
Malestrom
Plumiedelphia, PA
(Zone 7a)

June 18, 2010
7:39 PM

Post #7901455

some adeniums are slow to start.
I have had all mine outside for the last 2 months and some still arent fully awake.
Theyll wake up soon and go through the winter while others sleep.
The different subspecies have different dormancy and active periods.
I think it looks fine, just slow.
And yes super thrive should help but watch nutrients,
they dont always respond well to fertilizers,
ive had some rot just after feeding.
helenchild
Decatur, GA

June 19, 2010
6:31 AM

Post #7902176

I have been having similar experiences with my DRs Malestrom. Some have been slow to wake up this spring but don't seem to be sick in any way.
If I were you bwolfsohn I wouldn't water your plant too much for awhile. That might cause it to rot before it reestablishes functional roots.
Good luck,
Helen
newtonsthirdlaw
Arlington, TX

June 19, 2010
9:27 AM

Post #7902562

Somethings to think about. Thanks for the help. I am still wondering though, what caused the roots it had when I got in the mail to die back so much. I hope the little thing makes it, it is an odd shape.
C
Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

June 23, 2010
6:10 PM

Post #7914912

"I tried to only water when it was bone dry"

Bone dry!!!

Poor baby! Get it out of the pot, soak it for two hours, all the way underwater in a little Superthrive, and some hydrogen peroxide, 1 teaspoon to a gallon of water, just a touch.

It's SO dry it looks shriveled. The little feeder roots are delicate and die when 'bone dry'.

You keep them on the dry side in cool weather, winter. When they start growing, they can take more and more water. A whole lot more water.

And please find out its' name! Looks like a RCN (arabicum), such a thick caudex except that you're treating it like a cactus. The two tall plants look like Somalense, not arabicums. Look at some google images.

After you've soaked it, put it in barely damp potting mix, in bright light, but no direct sun.

Once the leaves start growing a bit, give the plant just a little water, to keep it a little damp, but not wet. Once the leaves are two inches long, give it a nice flood of water. Then don't water for a few days, check the heft, weight of the pot when it's completely wet. Let it get sorta dry, to damp, but not to bone. Before anything, if it's dry now, pick it up and feel how much it weighs.

And don't let it go bone dry until November 1st. Dry in the winter, from Nov through about April. But not too dry.

My little arabicum is not thirsty at all, heehee

This message was edited Jun 23, 2010 9:19 PM

Thumbnail by Molamola

newtonsthirdlaw
Arlington, TX

June 24, 2010
10:17 AM

Post #7916537

I am not treating it like a cactus, my adeniums get watered every other day in the hot, dry TX weather.
C
Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

June 24, 2010
12:27 PM

Post #7916937

OK, there must be a problem that I cannot understand from all the way over here, from what you are saying.

Long distance is not great.

Good luck with the little plant. I am sad and sorry.

newtonsthirdlaw
Arlington, TX

July 5, 2010
7:35 PM

Post #7946178

Well he grew some actual leaves at last. Two changes, first I put him in a double pot that was slightly off the ground...my thinking was he was overheating and drying out faster than I realized in that tiny pot. Second we had our first rainy week in almost 2 months, so lower temps and lots of water and humidity. I think that pot is too small for my climate but I am afraid to repot now that he finally seems to be doing ok. Thanks for all the advice, I have a lot to learn about growing these plants.
C
bwolfsohn
Fort Lauderdale, FL

July 5, 2010
7:47 PM

Post #7946199

This message was edited Aug 23, 2010 4:46 PM
newtonsthirdlaw
Arlington, TX

July 5, 2010
8:24 PM

Post #7946264

That makes sense and I really do believe the small pot is overheating. Looks like he gets a new home.
C

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Caudiciforms Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Adenium seedpod!! Indigoez 24 Apr 24, 2007 7:17 PM
Great case of mistaken identity GSkinner 16 Nov 22, 2007 2:20 PM
Flowering and Brighamia insignis, Hawaiian Vulcan Palm MartinDK 7 Aug 13, 2007 3:20 PM
Anyone grow Fockeas? Nan 8 Aug 13, 2007 3:30 PM
Brachychiton Nan 5 May 25, 2007 4:22 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America