Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Beginner Houseplants: Can these houseplants go outside?

Communities > Forums > Beginner Houseplants
bookmark
Forum: Beginner HouseplantsReplies: 12, Views: 116
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
BeachGirlNJ
Bayville, NJ

June 17, 2010
3:31 PM

Post #7897601

Hi all --

I have these houseplants that I want to put outside. Can anyone confirm that they'll be okay? I believe they will be but I want to be sure. And how much sun is okay?

purple passion
philodendren
snake plant
spath (peace lily)
spider plants
coleus
pothos

Another question re the purple passion: I always understood that I should not get water on the fuzzy leaves... thus if I put it outside what will happen to it if it rains or otherwise gets wet?

The pothos was previously at my office for many years. After I got laid off I brought it home and put it outside, but almost immediately several leaves turned yellow, so I brought it back inside. I'm concerned about trying it outdoors again.

Any advice would be great! Thanks you!

Cindi
hcmcdole
Powder Springs, GA
(Zone 7b)

June 17, 2010
3:43 PM

Post #7897619

They can all be moved outdoors for summer. Just don't put them in direct sun. Once a leaf is burned then that leaf will be damaged from then on. If it is really ugly then you can cut it off as new ones will replace it. Start out in a shady area and as they get adjusted to their new home, you can gradually move them to the outer edges of the shade so they get more sun. They should all respond nicely. Peace lily is probably the one you want to shade the most due to large leaves.

Maybe someone else can answer the question about purple passion and water on the leaf. I would think it wouldn't hurt as long as it dries. What does it do in the wild? I'm sure it must rain where it is endemic.

blomma

blomma
Wyoming, WY
(Zone 4a)

June 17, 2010
9:43 PM

Post #7898409

Hi Cindy: I agree with the post above. Just want to add that houseplants don't need full sun outdoors. That is why they are called "house plants".

I used to give my plants a vacation under a large tree for dappled shade/sun. Early morning sun is also ok.

The potho, philodendron, and snake plant are not sun lovers. They prefer bright light. The purple passion need more light to keep the purple color. Water won't hurt the leaves. Nature wouldn't be that cruel.

Watch for bugs. Bring your plants in 2 weeks before you expect to turn on central heating. Houseplants need to adjust from the outdoors before you turn your heater on. Give them a good spraying with Malathion to get rid of any bugs that try to sneak in for the winter.
tishrh
Mount Vernon, OH

June 18, 2010
4:33 AM

Post #7898742

Other thing is if you move them outside a few of them may experience shock especially if it is different sun/shade . So I would put them somewhere it is almost like the house and then if the place you want them is brighter adjust them slowly.
hcmcdole
Powder Springs, GA
(Zone 7b)

June 18, 2010
5:40 AM

Post #7898840

They adjust quickly as long as they don't get sunburned. Water well including foliage when you move them outside.

This begonia gets some afternoon sun for example:

Thumbnail by hcmcdole
Click the image for an enlarged view.

tapla

tapla
Bay City, MI
(Zone 6a)

June 18, 2010
6:30 AM

Post #7898943

It's good to remember there are no such things as 'houseplants' - only outdoor plants that tolerate indoor conditions to varying degrees. None of my plants spend the summer indoors. Some plants commonly grown indoors will thrive in full sun conditions & others need some protection from midday sun, or need shade. You'll just have to do your research or experiment to see how your plant reacts. It IS important to move all plants from indoors to shade before exposing to direct sun, though - unless they were growing under very bright supplemental lighting. Open shade (shade with open sky above) is best.

Generally speaking, plants love it outdoors and only tolerate indoor conditions.

Al
hcmcdole
Powder Springs, GA
(Zone 7b)

June 18, 2010
6:44 AM

Post #7898973

Good point Al.

I'd like to add that most of the "house plants" are from tropical areas so they can handle sunny conditions very well in their native habitats. They just can't tolerate very cold conditiions.

It amuses me when someone says you mustn't get the leaves wet or you can't put this in the sun and yet most of the time that is not the case at all.

Thumbnail by hcmcdole

BeachGirlNJ
Bayville, NJ

June 18, 2010
7:38 AM

Post #7899116

hcmcdole wrote:

It amuses me when someone says ... you can't put this in the sun ...

THANK YOU ALL for such helpful advice!!

@hcmcdole -- It's funny you say this. I bought a couple of gorgeous colorful coleus and the person at the nursery told me emphatically they had to go in shade only. I've had them in the sun and they are absolutely thriving!

Thanks again for all the advice, I love this forum, so informative.

Cindi

blomma

blomma
Wyoming, WY
(Zone 4a)

June 18, 2010
10:14 PM

Post #7901777

Whether or not a plant should be placed in sun or not, also depends upon what area of the country you live in--south or north. Also consider that the soil contained in a pot can get pretty hot and burn roots. Also dries out quickly.
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

June 21, 2010
8:33 PM

Post #7909213

Coleus used to be a shade plant--they have sun-loving ones now. If only they would develop some that are deer and bunny-resistant...
hcmcdole
Powder Springs, GA
(Zone 7b)

June 22, 2010
3:36 AM

Post #7909472

Hmm, I have my coleus in big containers so rabbits can't get to them (at least I don't think they can) and hopefully my fence is a deterrent to deer but I know they can easily jump it if they wanted to.

Thumbnail by hcmcdole

KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

June 22, 2010
3:11 PM

Post #7911074

Ooo, pretty!
bsimpson1972
Chicago, IL
(Zone 6a)

June 26, 2010
2:19 PM

Post #7922869

There is no reason, why almost any plant could not be going outside during the summer. The best examples are gigantic Alocasias in front yards here in Chicago (!). As long as the temperature and humidity fits the plant, you are pretty much good to go. I've seen tropicals THRIVE here in Chi-town during the summer in the most adverse soil-conditions... However: Always make sure, that you have some cuttings or seeds or tubers or rhizomes or any other form of propagules to get a fresh start next year! ;)

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Houseplants Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Houseplants forum! dave 39 Mar 27, 2011 3:03 PM
Plant for North Facing Office Window Brent_In_NoVa 16 Jul 29, 2010 4:10 AM
Peace lily blooms are green, not white! dave 52 Jul 27, 2013 1:06 PM
anybody enjoy forcing flowers? forcingflowers 28 Dec 4, 2011 6:44 AM
Our lipstick vine plant in the balcony PeaceHarmony 7 Jun 28, 2013 5:50 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America