AuthorContent
KaylyRed
Watertown, WI
(Zone 5a)

June 17, 2010
9:42 PM

Post #7898407

Show off your summer blooms here!

Here's Delphinium elatum 'Magic Fountains' doing it's thing. I love love love delphiniums, and the appear to like me just fine. ;)

Thumbnail by KaylyRed
Click the image for an enlarged view.

KaylyRed
Watertown, WI
(Zone 5a)

June 17, 2010
9:50 PM

Post #7898421

Here's some astilbe looking lovely in the shade. This is astilbe andresii 'Fanal.' This is the first year I've ever gotten astilbes to grow for me (or not get eaten by something.) Maybe the wet weather is to thank for it.

Thumbnail by KaylyRed

KaylyRed
Watertown, WI
(Zone 5a)

June 17, 2010
9:53 PM

Post #7898426

This is 'Peach Blossom.'

Thumbnail by KaylyRed

enya_34
Madison, WI

June 18, 2010
7:13 AM

Post #7899052

Kayly, both your Astilbe look great. I am having tough time with them and am thinking that it's not enough water.
I do love delphiniums too. Not sure what is it about them that make my heart skip, but it does every time I see
them.

Here's my Leucanthemum 'Esther Reed'. I don't think all of the pictures in the PlantFiles of this particular Shasta Daisy are accurate. I like it's strong stems and not aggressive nature. Actaully, I'd like it to spread a bit so I can divide it :)

Thumbnail by enya_34

enya_34
Madison, WI

June 18, 2010
7:20 AM

Post #7899068

This is Rudbeckia 'Marmalade' just about to burst into color and take the stage left by the Penstemon 'Huske Red'.

Thumbnail by enya_34

enya_34
Madison, WI

June 18, 2010
7:25 AM

Post #7899081

This is the first year my Dianthus amurensis 'Seberian Blues' is going to put on a show. It's not blue, but lavender.
It's really thriving this year in the poorer soil but with more sun.

Thumbnail by enya_34

enya_34
Madison, WI

June 18, 2010
7:27 AM

Post #7899085

The very last Ensata iris 'Gracieuse' of this season. All my irises will be done when this flower wilts.

Thumbnail by enya_34

enya_34
Madison, WI

June 18, 2010
7:34 AM

Post #7899102

Asiatic lilies are starting to bloom. This is 'Tiny Toad'. It is rather short.

Thumbnail by enya_34

enya_34
Madison, WI

June 18, 2010
7:36 AM

Post #7899109

This is Asclepias turburosa that self-seeded it self from my neighbours and has not spread much in 3 years.
I love this butterfly magnet!

Thumbnail by enya_34

KaylyRed
Watertown, WI
(Zone 5a)

June 18, 2010
8:30 AM

Post #7899259

Gorgeous, enya! I especially love 'Tiny Toad' (and that's a great photo, too) and 'Esther Reed.' 'Marmalade' is a pretty rudbeckia, too. None of my rudbeckias are blooming yet, and I'm guessing it's just that they're too shaded. They'll get there eventually. :)
enya_34
Madison, WI

June 21, 2010
11:16 AM

Post #7907811

This this Platycodon grandiflorus 'Komachi' . I have started it from seed 3 years ago, then "lost" the seedlings.
This year I see that my baloon flowers look different: there are the taller ones and bushier shorter ones.
Well, the bushier ones are my lost 'Komachi' :) I actually took one to the RU but no one wanted it so it came back.

Thumbnail by enya_34

enya_34
Madison, WI

June 21, 2010
11:18 AM

Post #7907817

I have Monarda didyma blooming.

Thumbnail by enya_34

enya_34
Madison, WI

June 21, 2010
11:19 AM

Post #7907820

This one I got from Maxine and lost the tag :( Planted in a pot but don't see it getting out of hand at all.

Thumbnail by enya_34

enya_34
Madison, WI

June 21, 2010
11:25 AM

Post #7907848

This is Dianthus barbatos 'Cranberry Ice'.

Thumbnail by enya_34

enya_34
Madison, WI

June 21, 2010
11:27 AM

Post #7907856

Blue Mouse Ears. This is the best filled up one of the two I have.

Thumbnail by enya_34

huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

June 27, 2010
4:38 AM

Post #7924149

Ok lets see whats bloomin around here .Iam so patiently waiting,spring and early summer were here and gone ,all I have is green it seems...This was a walmart find ,I think peppermint twist phlox.

This message was edited Jun 27, 2010 6:47 AM

Thumbnail by huggergirl

huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

June 27, 2010
4:51 AM

Post #7924164

tcs,my huskers red penstamon was doing well ,I found it yesterday dug up and shriveled up,#$^%& chipmunks !!!!!!

cececoogan

cececoogan
Waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

June 27, 2010
6:02 AM

Post #7924312

Oh no Tamara, that's terrible. Nothing has bothered mine at all and they are must beautiful or rather were till excess rain had everything droopy...

How are you girl??????? Bath done yet? She is done but the painting and the shelves inside...
huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

June 27, 2010
7:00 AM

Post #7924444

hey,cece,unfourtunately the bath will be on hold till winter.Umm he says he is going to finish both porches this summer anddd he has made a lot of head way soo far ,I got the fire lit,now to keep it burning..He is selling his project car a 75 corvette stingray,as he bought a new well used toy car,we are making headway..YES ive been trying to get to the new comode garden ,got new dirt,hoping to get on that this week,ive planted flowers in the toilet,starting to take off.Now if it does not rain anymore,like today its going to again...Iam already deciding what I will be bringing next yr to the round up...just some things Ive been working on to add to my ECCLECTIC GARDEN ART...1 was free the BB was 15$ at wallymart,these items should be popping into my gardens soon

Thumbnail by huggergirl

cececoogan

cececoogan
Waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

June 27, 2010
7:08 AM

Post #7924469

cool cool, Every time I think about the round-up I remember you saying you're cece coogan who got the new bath????? Still haven't got mine. Girl is was so great to meet ya! You just can't know. l can't wait to see pics of your potty garden! My new pond well the surface a couple days agol.

Thumbnail by cececoogan

huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

June 27, 2010
7:46 AM

Post #7924548

wow,cool ,I know I was soo glad to meet you too.Really like the pond,DH drug home a fiber glass tub of sorts now he says where do you want this,i dont know !!!! i will post when we do something with it,but its on the bottom of the todo list at the moment.Like I said cant wait till the next r-up.Ralph really enjoyed himself too,i was glad he really was a trooper.But ive been going to car shows for years without complaining...
huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

June 27, 2010
8:11 AM

Post #7924637

I found some bloomers...

Thumbnail by huggergirl

huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

June 27, 2010
8:16 AM

Post #7924655

see what I mean about green...they are on their way..

Thumbnail by huggergirl

KaylyRed
Watertown, WI
(Zone 5a)

June 27, 2010
5:28 PM

Post #7925812

huggergirl wrote:tcs,my huskers red penstamon was doing well ,I found it yesterday dug up and shriveled up,#$^%& chipmunks !!!!!!

I'm SO sorry to hear that. I have a terrible hatred for chipmunks. They dig around in my gardens, too. They've eaten buds off plants that I've been anxiously waiting to see in bloom, and it looks like they've uprooted some of my campanula persicifolia (the tall stuff). They've dug around my hostas and eaten some bulbs. They've chewed astilbe plants down to the ground. (No, I know it wasn't deer--I live on a city lot and have a 6 foot privacy fence. Neither are foolproof deer deterrents, but I've never seen a deer here in town.)

Stupid *&$*%! chipmunks! Every time I hear them going chip! chip! chip! I go twitch! twitch! twitch!
sherriseden
Des Plaines, IL
(Zone 5b)

June 27, 2010
6:56 PM

Post #7926003

Squirrels do the same. Then they look at you as you watch them from the window, as if to say, "What is your problem?" then go back to nibbling. And ants?? Oh my God - for 5 years, I couldn't figure out why my viburnum "Blue Muffin" would not make blue colored berries as it was supposed to. It bloomed, but no berries. This year, I found out - I caught ants eating all the berries!! Lord, I'm sure they are here for a reason, but I don't know what it is. I would like them to go away.

Anyway, here are some pics from today of blooms in my yard . . .

This is a pic of phlox 'Wendy House' - a beautiful fuscia!

Thumbnail by sherriseden

sherriseden
Des Plaines, IL
(Zone 5b)

June 27, 2010
7:00 PM

Post #7926009

Wendy phlox again with delphinium 'Blue Mirror' to the right and delphinium something to the left. Geraniums in the back.

Thumbnail by sherriseden

sherriseden
Des Plaines, IL
(Zone 5b)

June 27, 2010
7:02 PM

Post #7926011

Daylillies and geraniums . . .

Thumbnail by sherriseden

sherriseden
Des Plaines, IL
(Zone 5b)

June 27, 2010
7:05 PM

Post #7926017

Hosta 'Guacamole' in front of viburnum, daylilly, and a 'Pinky Winky' hydrangea that's just getting its flower buds up . . .

Thumbnail by sherriseden

huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

June 28, 2010
5:22 AM

Post #7926833

Kayly,still chuckling about the chipchip,twitch,twitch ROTFL...All I can say about those little rodents is,if they eat mole pellets too badd...Yes they work well.Sherri,love the Wendy and guac...

Thumbnail by huggergirl

KaylyRed
Watertown, WI
(Zone 5a)

June 28, 2010
7:29 AM

Post #7927148

Mole pellets...

Yes, I'm thinking I'm going to have to resort to awful things. Can't have my gardens destroyed year after year. Do you think they would move the pellets, though? I could put them in the front yard, but if they transported them to the backyard the dogs might get into them.

Oh, and Sherri I forgot to comment (too twitchy about the chipmunks) that your blooms are beautiful!

This message was edited Jun 28, 2010 8:30 AM
enya_34
Madison, WI

June 28, 2010
10:02 AM

Post #7927619

chipmunks = evil so do squierrels
The only difference is that the former dig up in the flower bed,
whereas the latter trash all potted plants.

Enjoying the color and the whimsy :)
huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

June 28, 2010
10:36 AM

Post #7927707

kayly,Yes they do work I was over run by moles last yr and chipmunks,soo I had to do the pellets and I thought 2 birds 1 stone possibly,well it worked on both ends.Havent seen any moles yet !!! But it took spring to bring back more chipmunks.Iam ready to do it again...I put the pellets in both mole and chipmunk runs as they will share.I have never seen any sign of the pellets any where after they disapear from the run.I place a rock over the hole after the pellets. I hate doin it. I hate mole traps more they just tick me off ...LOL
huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

July 2, 2010
5:11 AM

Post #7937285

ok some critter chewed the under ground phone line,small critter ,Iam thinking Chipmunk...Looks like its time for pellets again...phone guy was here all day yesterday,they have to bury a new line,they have us hooked up with a jumper line now.I had noticed a new pile of dirt in the ditch never even thought about it,other than whats digging here ??? not a ground hog too small,but aalot of dirt 3 inch hole,well the new hole right by the pole where the line runs...

Thumbnail by huggergirl

huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

July 2, 2010
5:14 AM

Post #7937288

Tiger eye,rudbecia,its an annual though... But soo pretty ,I will plant it again

Thumbnail by huggergirl

huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

July 2, 2010
5:22 AM

Post #7937304

I dont remember what the purple or I dont even know what color to call them are ??? But it turned out soo pretty the plants were all leftovers... The bocca is white but its not blooming,Iam having the same trouble with purple bocca too,growing not blooming ??? Iam hoping that it looks as pretty with the white if it ever blooms again !!!!

Thumbnail by huggergirl

huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

July 2, 2010
5:30 AM

Post #7937311

purple cones filling in nice ,going to have to thin them..anyone need some???

Thumbnail by huggergirl

huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

July 2, 2010
5:35 AM

Post #7937324

Purple and white cones at the property line ,there are a few white ones up top peeking out,and there are more white blooming out there now,took this few days ago.I gotta get out there andd clean the grass out of them.

Thumbnail by huggergirl

KaylyRed
Watertown, WI
(Zone 5a)

July 2, 2010
7:18 AM

Post #7937581

Hugger, your echinaceas look great. Mine are really pathetic this year for some reason. I can't tell if it's bugs or disease or both (aster yellows, although it doesn't quite look like it.) On many, I'm getting cones but no petals. Also strangely bent stems. :(
enya_34
Madison, WI

July 2, 2010
8:09 AM

Post #7937705

Yes, your echinaceas look very bright and floriferous. The "leftovers" are quite artistic :)

cececoogan

cececoogan
Waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

July 2, 2010
8:22 AM

Post #7937751

Kayle Some of mine in back are doing the same thing. I never questioned it, My bad.

The ones out front have taken over the bed. But the gaillardia and the bellflowers are catching up quick and Shasta Daisy Becky is being no slacker...
huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

July 3, 2010
4:16 AM

Post #7939681

I just planted 4 shasta alaska, but I cant see them for the other things Ive OVER planted !!! Ineed to remove some Tithonia mexican sunflowers,was wanting to wait to see how pretty or ugly they are ,They have little orange flowers on big green leafy plants ,an if they are not full of blooms soon Iam pulling them !!!!!
huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

July 4, 2010
9:48 AM

Post #7942558

ive lost the tag,anyone???going to be full of blooms soon,Ill post it again

Thumbnail by huggergirl

huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

July 4, 2010
9:50 AM

Post #7942565

delphinium

Thumbnail by huggergirl

sherriseden
Des Plaines, IL
(Zone 5b)

July 4, 2010
2:46 PM

Post #7943109

Hugger, I hope someone knows the name of that plant - it's gorgeous! Here's an unnamed daylilly -

Thumbnail by sherriseden

sherriseden
Des Plaines, IL
(Zone 5b)

July 4, 2010
2:47 PM

Post #7943111

More unnamed daylillies ~

Thumbnail by sherriseden

sherriseden
Des Plaines, IL
(Zone 5b)

July 4, 2010
2:50 PM

Post #7943116

And another one. A couple are unnamed because they were in the bargain bin without tags, the others I just got mixed up as I was moving them around . . . I can't leave my plants alone, I move until I like (and they like) where they are!

Thumbnail by sherriseden

sherriseden
Des Plaines, IL
(Zone 5b)

July 4, 2010
2:51 PM

Post #7943118

Here's yarrow 'Red Velvet' ~

Thumbnail by sherriseden

enya_34
Madison, WI

July 4, 2010
6:35 PM

Post #7943551

sherri,
That purple dailily looks just like "Prairie Blue Eyes" if the center is yellow.
The red one is very nice too. I have missed the flowers again. Mine seem
to last one day. Is that usual for daylilies?
huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

July 5, 2010
3:43 AM

Post #7944046

enya ,Hence the name Day lily... LOL you are too sweet...Tamara
sherriseden
Des Plaines, IL
(Zone 5b)

July 5, 2010
7:18 AM

Post #7944404

Cute!! : )

Enya, I think you're right about it being Prairie Blue Eyes? Just curious - out of the hundreds of thousands named daylillies out there, how on earth did you guess the name of this one?

cececoogan

cececoogan
Waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

July 5, 2010
7:59 AM

Post #7944546

My daylilies this morning

Thumbnail by cececoogan

cececoogan

cececoogan
Waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

July 5, 2010
7:59 AM

Post #7944549

My tree Lilies this morning too.

Thumbnail by cececoogan

enya_34
Madison, WI

July 5, 2010
2:23 PM

Post #7945483

Tamara,
It's such a shame to see those large flowers disappear so quickly.

Sheri,
The only reason I guessed is because I have it and it's in bloom right now and I took pictures, but as usual one or another gadget needed to post them is missing at the moment. I was not into daylillies a couple of years ago. But then I saw how happy they can be in a neglected area and how well they can handle dry spells and my heart changed. Now I am a lily lover too :) I have got a mix of pink ones and will get more color next year hopefully where right now is mostly weeds.

This year I am going to see new oriental lilies bloom, got at the RU the year before. Can't wait for them to open - such a gorgeous fragrance especially at dusk. Have not figured the blooming pattern of them yet, but I'll get there.
huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

July 6, 2010
4:45 AM

Post #7946680

enya ,you are soo right,they dont last long enough,my tiger lilys and orientals are not doing as well this year ,I need to dig and amend the bed,this fall.Tiger lilys are my favs any varitiy or color,Iam not sure that I even have any star gazers left,talk about FRAGRANCE,WOW.Tamara
allnitro
Waterloo, IA
(Zone 4b)

July 6, 2010
5:32 AM

Post #7946723

First time this daylily seedling has flowered for me... it is on it's 4th summer.

Jeff

Thumbnail by allnitro

huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

July 6, 2010
5:41 AM

Post #7946734

Hey jeff,Iam looking for On Stage at Ralphs request...I had no idea that even liked hostas,till after he talked to you ...Boy I thought he just tollerated my greenthumb!!!! Nice daylily, patience pays off...
huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

July 6, 2010
5:49 AM

Post #7946744

cece.I love those tree lilys,as I said before my lilys are kind of sad ,I have good ole orange ,but the others are small,I didnt even take photos of them,dissapointed = { iam reposting this tigereye rudbeckia,it is just soo pretty with the candytuft,and dianthus

Thumbnail by huggergirl

huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

July 6, 2010
5:52 AM

Post #7946752

cleome 1st time Ive ever grown it ,I love it,so abstract...

Thumbnail by huggergirl

huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

July 6, 2010
5:57 AM

Post #7946758

These both were freebies,choc basil,it is soo cool ,and the grass is it Hierba Adagio ???

Thumbnail by huggergirl

huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

July 6, 2010
5:59 AM

Post #7946763

beebalm and liatris

Thumbnail by huggergirl

huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

July 6, 2010
6:05 AM

Post #7946784

my sickly hydrangas,Ive treated them... waiting

Thumbnail by huggergirl

huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

July 6, 2010
6:29 AM

Post #7946835

Here this one is again,getting real pretty,maybe I should open a book and look it up !!!

Thumbnail by huggergirl

cececoogan

cececoogan
Waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

July 6, 2010
7:50 AM

Post #7947012

bell flower maybe?

Didn't really take to close a look, I may be all wet, Yeah dripping the humidity is horrid.

I love Cleomes and had the darndest time finding some. At the round up Sheri brought two seedlings and I snapped them up then a couple weeks ago we went to Home Depot for something and these 6" patio containers with Cleomes jumped up and bit me on the nose so I brought two of them home and there were 5 plants in one pot and six in the other so I am a happy camper.
enya_34
Madison, WI

July 6, 2010
9:09 AM

Post #7947191

Hugger,
Your plants always seem to hug each other in a nicest way: height and shape coordinated. I am trying for that look very hard. That blue looker is a mistery, but I don't think it's a bell flower somehow. The way the flowers open is different.

Jeff,
This is a stunning daylily seedling! I am especially partial to the two-toned ones. Isn't it incredible that half of the petals get to be one color while the other is completely different?

I did grow some from seeds I got in trade. And although some people said they'd bloom in their 2dd or 3d year I had to wait 4 as well. Nothing as impressive as yours but it's so much fun to see the flowers at last. Here are some of my daililies, they all seem to be in bloom at the same time. Not sure why after 4 years they all seem to be 1-2 eyes. I must be doing something wrong here.

This is my favorite red

Thumbnail by enya_34

enya_34
Madison, WI

July 6, 2010
9:11 AM

Post #7947197

Even "Frans Hals" is a not increasing... but it blooms and it fun.

Thumbnail by enya_34

enya_34
Madison, WI

July 6, 2010
9:15 AM

Post #7947202

This shade of orange-red looks really nice in the shade, where it grows.

Thumbnail by enya_34

enya_34
Madison, WI

July 6, 2010
9:21 AM

Post #7947213

This is a pretty pink I have.

Thumbnail by enya_34

enya_34
Madison, WI

July 6, 2010
9:23 AM

Post #7947217

This one is of a deeper color. Now I need to figure out how to plant around them. I have put all the daylilies together, which does not look really nice. What do you guys plant next to daylilies?

Thumbnail by enya_34

enya_34
Madison, WI

July 6, 2010
9:40 AM

Post #7947247

Three seasons in the life of the milkweed flower.

Thumbnail by enya_34

allnitro
Waterloo, IA
(Zone 4b)

July 6, 2010
2:22 PM

Post #7947881

hugger girl...good to hear Ralph has shown an interest in plants from "The Dark Side".
Sounds like you have property that will grow them very well...I am sure we can find an 'On Stage' for him somewhere. I like to rub, then smell the cleomes.

Ev...very nice daylily blooms you show. I would like to grow more from seed but I have found out I have too many other seeds growing that I don't have room or time to do so...maybe I will switch to them for a winter or too.

This seedling opened on it's 2nd summer.

Jeff

Thumbnail by allnitro

sherriseden
Des Plaines, IL
(Zone 5b)

July 6, 2010
6:49 PM

Post #7948537

The daylillies are gorgeous! And, Enya, love the milkweed. But, doesn't it need lots of water? (I say this on a day I am totally sick of dragging my hose around!)

cececoogan

cececoogan
Waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

July 7, 2010
5:11 AM

Post #7949178

I'm learning collages on Picasa. This is what is blooming in my yard now...

Thumbnail by cececoogan

huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

July 7, 2010
6:50 AM

Post #7949353

I was wondering what i was smelling when i watered ,didnt ck it out now i will.I have some chocolate basil down there too,Iam going to save that for the r-up..Ev your lilies are coming along nicely very pretty,I wish I would have kept some that I had ,dug them up and gave them away,I love them but not in my garden !!!! now Iam thinking maybe ..The reason everythng looks all cozy is because I sooo over planted,things Ive never grown and boy they are a lot bigger than I thought.Jeff I forgot to say that lily is beautiful it has so much texture,very cool.Sherri,Iam dragging the hose around too,I have 3 lines each with 100ft of hose,I keep telling myself,its a good workout ,while Iam *#!*#!.i had a heat induced fit over leaking hose fittings,well the 3 things that were causing me problems are no longer in use or can be used...LOL I feel better now. cece i love the collage of your beautiful lilies,very very nice

Thumbnail by huggergirl

enya_34
Madison, WI

July 7, 2010
7:50 AM

Post #7949477

Sheri,
I am not sure how much they need water, but I do not water daylilies after they are
planted them and never watered the milkweed. I can only bear to drag those mile-long hoses
to plants like tomatos, alpine strawberries (if you water them, they'll bear berries until frost literally)
and anything I have in the pots.

Hugger,
It must be the rocks that do the spacing then :) I like the look of your beds.

Cece,
Your lilies are so beautiful! What a strange name tree lilies. I should start doing collages maybe that will
give me some idea of what goes with what.

Jeff,
That last daylily is seriously ruffled. Does the texture show at the distance you see the flower in the garden?
I know that all mine looked much more showy in the pictures than in the garden setting.
huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

July 8, 2010
4:15 AM

Post #7951787

iam just loving this cleome

Thumbnail by huggergirl

huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

July 8, 2010
4:24 AM

Post #7951797

2nd flush of blooms on this peppermint twist phlox,well worth 8.50

Thumbnail by huggergirl

huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

July 8, 2010
4:27 AM

Post #7951800

blackberry lily,1st bloom

Thumbnail by huggergirl

enya_34
Madison, WI

July 8, 2010
1:38 PM

Post #7952958

Oh Tamara, that pepermint is loaded with flowers. What a great find! Does it smell? I remember at my gran's garden ALL flowers smelled, here I have to ask :)
huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

July 9, 2010
3:23 AM

Post #7954340

It does have fragrance,not like my pink old fashioned does.I am really impressed with it so far ,it was a walmart find !!!!
neheskett
Albert Lea, MN
(Zone 4b)

July 9, 2010
5:26 AM

Post #7954474

Beautiful blooms everyone! Thanks for posting! I still have to dust off the old camera, it can be a weekend project :)
enya_34
Madison, WI

July 9, 2010
6:50 AM

Post #7954635

Please do. Flowers are the glory of the garden. I am waiting for the two oriental lilies to open now ;)
sherriseden
Des Plaines, IL
(Zone 5b)

July 9, 2010
4:07 PM

Post #7955867

Not sure what kind of daylillies they are. I got them from the "Hosta Guy" at Wolff's flea market and he said they were award winners, but I forgot their name!

Thumbnail by sherriseden

sherriseden
Des Plaines, IL
(Zone 5b)

July 9, 2010
4:11 PM

Post #7955874

Red geraniums with sedum in front of them. and a very young cornus alnifollia 'Golden Shadow' to the right.

Thumbnail by sherriseden

sherriseden
Des Plaines, IL
(Zone 5b)

July 9, 2010
4:14 PM

Post #7955880

Cimicifuga simplex 'Brunette' in back of physocarpus (Ninebark) 'Midnight Wine'. Love how the ninebark's leaves look when backlit!!

Thumbnail by sherriseden

sherriseden
Des Plaines, IL
(Zone 5b)

July 9, 2010
4:19 PM

Post #7955895

Annabelle hydrangeas. Don't compliment them - I'm mad at them! The little divas sulk unless I water them constantly.

Thumbnail by sherriseden

sherriseden
Des Plaines, IL
(Zone 5b)

July 9, 2010
4:22 PM

Post #7955910

Cimicifuga racemosa. (Oh, OK . . . Actea! Taxonomists can never just leave things where they are!) She is blooming and the roofers nearly destroyed her yesterday. But, she's a toughie. Not a diva like my Annabelles! : )

Thumbnail by sherriseden

enya_34
Madison, WI

July 9, 2010
8:19 PM

Post #7956472

Sheri,
The yellow erupts from the red blooms, very eye catching color combination. The dark ninebark is also very interesting looking plant. It certainly spices up the green. But I am intrigued by 'Golden Shadow'. I never seen them before.
KaylyRed
Watertown, WI
(Zone 5a)

July 9, 2010
8:41 PM

Post #7956513

Some very pretty blooms, Sherri! I love actaea, and I really need to replace the one I left behind at my old house. First I have to figure out where I'd put it, but still.

And I promise not to compliment the hydrangeas, at your insistence, although they're very... *sits on her hands*
sherriseden
Des Plaines, IL
(Zone 5b)

July 10, 2010
7:58 AM

Post #7957210

Don't say it, Kayly!!! : ) (Thank you, though!)

Enya, I got it from Klehm's Songsparrow. Here's the link: http://www.songsparrow.com/2010/plantdetails.cfm?ID=199&type=WOODY,&pagetype=plantdetails

I think I said "alnifolia". It's "alternifolia" and is like a pagoda dogwood, where it has a horizontal, layering habit. It's alive, but not doing any above ground growing yet because I just planted it in April. It's getting its roots down. I know that from experience after I pulled a bareroot up once thinking it was dead because it wasn't growing. After three months in the ground, I almost couldn't get it out, then realized its roots were working into the ground all that time!!

Here's a better picture of it - see it twist tied to the stake?

Thumbnail by sherriseden

KaylyRed
Watertown, WI
(Zone 5a)

July 10, 2010
1:52 PM

Post #7957891

Sherri, I moved a hosta ('Roy Klehm,' incidentally, since you mentioned Klehm's) recently. I bought it this year and it was just a little single-eye division with a handful of leaves. Most of the leaves were bent and broken by wind, rain, critters in the garden, whatever. It put out a few new leaves, but it was still small and looking pretty rough. So, when I bought some new hostas I decided I'd move it. After all, I thought, it wasn't doing much growing so I might as well move it while it wasn't deeply rooted.

Boy, was I surprised. The thing had a root ball three times the size of the plant with huge, deep roots. I hope I got most of them when I moved it, because with roots like this I'm thinking next year this plant will be a beauty.

So, the moral of the story is, just as you alluded to, never underestimate what your plant might be doing underground while above ground it still looks pitiful.

(Here's a photo of 'Roy Klehm' just planted. After that I ended up cutting off two of the bedraggled leaves.)

This message was edited Jul 10, 2010 2:56 PM

Thumbnail by KaylyRed

KaylyRed
Watertown, WI
(Zone 5a)

July 10, 2010
2:10 PM

Post #7957940

While I'm at it, here are some hosta blooms.

Thumbnail by KaylyRed

KaylyRed
Watertown, WI
(Zone 5a)

July 10, 2010
2:11 PM

Post #7957942

Echinacea 'Fatal Attraction' looks a little chewed on, but still pretty. Few blooms on these. I think I have them in too much shade.

Thumbnail by KaylyRed

KaylyRed
Watertown, WI
(Zone 5a)

July 10, 2010
2:12 PM

Post #7957947

Echinacea 'Pink Double Delight.' I've always loved this one. Again, not many blooms (too much shade) and...something finds the echies very tasty this year. :(

Thumbnail by KaylyRed

KaylyRed
Watertown, WI
(Zone 5a)

July 10, 2010
2:15 PM

Post #7957952

'Sunday Gloves' started blooming today. These blooms are ENORMOUS. I haven't measured, but I'd guess they're about 6" across at least.

Thumbnail by KaylyRed

sherriseden
Des Plaines, IL
(Zone 5b)

July 10, 2010
2:17 PM

Post #7957960

Oh, I just got 'Fatal Attraction'! I have a weird spot behind a big silver maple that is dry (of course - maple gets all the water!) and shady except for a few hours when it gets socked with full force late afternoon sun. Hostas get sort of fried back there except the real toughies and there's not many of them. So . . . toughest plant I can think of that will take part sun? Echinacea! We'll see what happens . . .
sherriseden
Des Plaines, IL
(Zone 5b)

July 10, 2010
2:18 PM

Post #7957962

Oooh - love Sunday Gloves!
pastime
Waterman, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 11, 2010
6:59 AM

Post #7959413

sherriseden, I have lots of Sunday Gloves if you're interested. My Annabelle blooms are smallish this year, about the size of PeeGee's. All the storms we've had have knocked them down to boot.

We went to Hornbaker's last weekend and I saw some gorgeous hydrangeas. The blooms were huge. Hydranga arborescens 'Incrediball'. They called it an Annabelle on steroids. WOW! I didn't buy one though, we were in a Wrangler. Where's the big SUV when you need one? I was on a daylily mission anyway.

Prices have gone up for DL clumps. I only got one clump. Fragrant Pastel Cheers. It's a Klehm.

Diana

Thumbnail by pastime

cececoogan

cececoogan
Waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

July 11, 2010
10:41 AM

Post #7959861

These were blooming in my yard yesterday...or friday forget when I took the pics...

Thumbnail by cececoogan

huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

July 12, 2010
4:15 AM

Post #7961829

beautiful cece,I love that echinachia,I ve got 1 bloom on my purple cones that almost resemble that,I thought boy that would be cool a whole plant full of those ,well here you have 1 that all the blooms are spose to be that way..nice.love your collage,I need to learn to do that...very nice
franknjim
Peoria, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 12, 2010
4:56 AM

Post #7961881

I got this water lily in a trade last fall and it just sat in a pitcher of water over the winter until I planted it in a 100 gallon stock tank I sat out on the driveway this spring. I have never had a water lily and I am not quite sure what I will be doing with it when the cold winds start blowing.

Thumbnail by franknjim

enya_34
Madison, WI

July 12, 2010
9:49 AM

Post #7962570

I'll definitely check this variegated pagoda dogwood. I have lots of regular ones doing just fine under larger trees.

I am so enjoying all the blooms! My garden is a bit bare at the moment, lilies are taking their time...

Lovely water lily. Could it overwinter the same way it did before? I know some people on this thread
have ponds maybe they could help with advice on wintering over the floating beauties.

Sunday Gloves has really nicely showing veins - so delicate.

cece, you have quite a collection of brugs and are getting good at collages too.

Fragrant Pastel Cheers looks good, but most surprising to me is that fragrant qualifier.
Does anyone know how fragrant fragrant daylilies really are?

cececoogan

cececoogan
Waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

July 12, 2010
10:10 AM

Post #7962624

I'm having fun with the collages... I also have a lot of lilies, Asiatics, Orientals, Orienpets, LA hybrids and Trumpets.

Thumbnail by cececoogan

sherriseden
Des Plaines, IL
(Zone 5b)

July 12, 2010
10:23 AM

Post #7962655

Wow, Cece, those are BEAUTIFUL!!
enya_34
Madison, WI

July 12, 2010
10:24 AM

Post #7962656

cece,
I am salivating over your lilies :) What a feast for the eyes!
This year I broke down and bought some oriental as I really want fragrance in the garden. After I
smelled the blooms of the ones I got at a RU a year before I could not have just one type :)

cececoogan

cececoogan
Waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

July 12, 2010
10:50 AM

Post #7962711

I just sent in an order for about 30 more lily bulbs. I love the fragrance so that is why I have mostly Orientals and the Orienpets (tree lilies) My trumpets have a slight fragrance and the LA hybrids are suppose to have a fragrance too like the Easter Lily. Asiatics may or may not have fragrance...so between iris, lilies, coneflowers, shastas, echinacea, and my brugs there just isn't enough here yet. I need MORE garden space and Ed is being so unreasonable this time. Where I wanted to add to another garden bed my husband bought a tent and put it up right there. He is such a brat. He knew I was going to start on it this week.. in that exact spot...

Thumbnail by cececoogan

sherriseden
Des Plaines, IL
(Zone 5b)

July 12, 2010
6:32 PM

Post #7963765

Men are so silly!
sherriseden
Des Plaines, IL
(Zone 5b)

July 12, 2010
6:33 PM

Post #7963768

Oops! * red faced * as I know there are a few guys on this thread . . .

Uh . . . they're not ALL silly . . . : )

cececoogan

cececoogan
Waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

July 12, 2010
7:34 PM

Post #7963940

Yes they ARE... sorry guys but that is the way i see it too!
huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

July 13, 2010
3:25 AM

Post #7964335

I love him already,what sense of humor ,or a pain in the A$$$,way too funny,i will let you come over here ,Ralph wants to build another bed,and I dont want too !!!!!
franknjim
Peoria, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 13, 2010
4:10 AM

Post #7964376

That tent can be picked up and moved very easily without taking it apart while still holding it's shape. Just pull out the stakes that hold it down and all of the rods will stay in place on the tent while lifting it up. Just put it where you want it and put the stakes back in the ground so it doesn't blow away. You can leave the stakes out if you would like it to blow away! Those are very light. Start digging your new bed so the ground will be too lumpy for him to put it back.

cececoogan

cececoogan
Waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

July 13, 2010
4:19 AM

Post #7964381

It won't fit where I want to stick it. :)
huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

July 13, 2010
4:28 AM

Post #7964389

Iam ROFL...gotta love agood sense of humor
KaylyRed
Watertown, WI
(Zone 5a)

July 13, 2010
6:44 AM

Post #7964623

cececoogan wrote:It won't fit where I want to stick it. :)

LOL! It might be fun to see you try.

Does Ed understand that by parking a tent where you want your next bed he's effectively (albeit slowly) killing off the grass for you? Well done! ;)

My husband wouldn't care one bit if I turned the entire yard into a garden. He's 100% opposed to any sort of yard work. Hates to mow the lawn (even with the riding mower), as evidenced by my jungle backyard. When I created, and then expanded, my front bed he said, "Now we need to do one on the other side of the driveway."

This "we" he refers to is me, of course. But he'll help flip over some sod with the garden fork if necessary. ;)
sherriseden
Des Plaines, IL
(Zone 5b)

July 13, 2010
7:35 AM

Post #7964737

Ooooh, Kayly, you are right - Ed is performing the first step of bed making! Cece, don't tell this to Ed . . .

cececoogan

cececoogan
Waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

July 13, 2010
11:04 AM

Post #7965351

He'll think of something to screw it up. Trust me...
sherriseden
Des Plaines, IL
(Zone 5b)

July 13, 2010
11:39 AM

Post #7965448

Yes, I know - I have a hubby, too. They mean well, but . . .

By the way, why did he set a tent up in the yard? Was he expecting you to get mad at him?? : ) : )

cececoogan

cececoogan
Waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

July 13, 2010
11:41 AM

Post #7965452

He thought the kids would want to play in there while everyone else was dancing, singing and drinking. And it rained...maybe he thought we could get 30 35 people in there all at once. Who knows why he does anything he does,...He must know but I doubt it. lol
franknjim
Peoria, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 13, 2010
12:45 PM

Post #7965597

I do everything outside and the beds are all mine. I mow but have 75% of the grass gone now since I hate to mow. I also put silly things in the yard as well so I can only blame myself for everything out there in the front yard. I'm one of them there "Silly Men".

This is Mr. Tree. He is 8' tall not counting his hat and probably weighs about 500lbs. He is set in 2' of concrete between the roots of the big tree and has a climbing hydrangea planted at the bottom which will eventually grow up to give him hair. His ear ring is a wind chime.

Thumbnail by franknjim

cececoogan

cececoogan
Waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

July 13, 2010
2:24 PM

Post #7965810

Oh now I LOVE that. That is so cool...
sherriseden
Des Plaines, IL
(Zone 5b)

July 13, 2010
3:56 PM

Post #7966155

VERY cool!!!
enya_34
Madison, WI

July 14, 2010
10:39 AM

Post #7967972

This is the best "Mr Tree" I've seen. The garden looks very trim, tailored and rich in colors and textures.
Do post more picture of it. But how do you get up there to water the planter?
franknjim
Peoria, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 14, 2010
11:00 AM

Post #7968030

I use a watering wand that is about 36" long with a gentle shower head and it has a hand squeeze lever to turn the water on. I wore out the first one in 6 months. I water the bed by the house with a soaker hose that zig zags through it and around the side of the house. Everything else I water by hand usually every day or at least every other day. Almost everything in my yard is new since last fall when I also installed the new PVC porch railing, new sidewalk and stone steps, round landscape block bed and more. I do everything by myself. No one touches my garden. Last summer it was all grass except for the bed that goes across the house. I also cut out two sections of the concrete driveway last fall for two additional beds. Something is always torn up or in progress. I haven't even mulched much yet because the bed borders keep moving and getting added onto. By the end of the year there should be just a concrete cobblestone path through the yard. Very few things in the yard are actually mature.

Right side of yard.

Thumbnail by franknjim

franknjim
Peoria, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 14, 2010
11:01 AM

Post #7968032

Left side.

Thumbnail by franknjim

franknjim
Peoria, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 14, 2010
11:01 AM

Post #7968034

Looking up the sidewalk.

Thumbnail by franknjim

franknjim
Peoria, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 14, 2010
11:04 AM

Post #7968037

The new fountain I am currently setting up with large and small bell heads and a spitter. I started working on it yesterday. I will sink it in the ground and line with flagstone.

Thumbnail by franknjim

franknjim
Peoria, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 14, 2010
11:06 AM

Post #7968041

This shows most of the bed in front of the house. The big hosta is over 7' wide and over 3' tall not counting the flower scapes.

Thumbnail by franknjim

franknjim
Peoria, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 14, 2010
11:09 AM

Post #7968046

Some of my propagating on the drive along with a few new things yet to be planted.

Thumbnail by franknjim

franknjim
Peoria, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 14, 2010
11:10 AM

Post #7968049

More of the propagating.

Thumbnail by franknjim

franknjim
Peoria, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 14, 2010
11:11 AM

Post #7968054

Water plants in the stock tank sitting on the driveway.

Thumbnail by franknjim

franknjim
Peoria, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 14, 2010
11:13 AM

Post #7968059

More propagating.

Thumbnail by franknjim

franknjim
Peoria, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 14, 2010
11:15 AM

Post #7968065

More propagating and the start of a new bed were I cut out part of the driveway.

Thumbnail by franknjim

cececoogan

cececoogan
Waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

July 14, 2010
11:22 AM

Post #7968082

Wow I thought I did a lot. I just got something in pots that have been sitting around here for a week...

I am impressed to say the least.

Individual plants outside by my front porch... No wrong picture. I planted these this morning...

Thumbnail by cececoogan

cececoogan

cececoogan
Waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

July 14, 2010
11:24 AM

Post #7968088

This is by my front porch...

Thumbnail by cececoogan

franknjim
Peoria, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 14, 2010
11:26 AM

Post #7968092

I have a full sun propagating section as well near the water plants and the other spot I cut out a part of the driveway. I try to avoid having full sun perennials as I do not like working in the sun. I work too fast and it causes my body to overheat very quickly. As you can see, I love to grow and propagate.

These are my elephant ear varieties. I also have Odora which I forgot to add to the pic. I have some in pots while others are planted all over in the yard. 14 varieties. I have 6 varieties of ferns. 100 varieties of hosta. I know the names of all of them.

Thumbnail by franknjim

cececoogan

cececoogan
Waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

July 14, 2010
11:37 AM

Post #7968170

Oh Oh I have the Mojito one by the pool, My Illustris didn't do well at all this spring and the bulb shriveled. Oh well.

I have all my elephant ears near the pond. I'll go see if I have a pic of them at all...

Here's one. I don't know the name. Another DG'er gave it to me so all I know is it is an Alocasia

Thumbnail by cececoogan

cececoogan

cececoogan
Waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

July 14, 2010
11:38 AM

Post #7968174

a different one again.

Thumbnail by cececoogan

cececoogan

cececoogan
Waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

July 14, 2010
11:39 AM

Post #7968177

Oh and my new gardening buddy...

Thumbnail by cececoogan

franknjim
Peoria, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 14, 2010
11:45 AM

Post #7968198

cececoogan wrote:Oh and my new gardening buddy...

Where did you find him? I love that.

cececoogan

cececoogan
Waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

July 14, 2010
11:52 AM

Post #7968213

Ordered him from Gardeners Supply Catalog. It think hs was 24 something. I had ordered him beginning of last month but they had to wait to get more in.

He's adorable hey
franknjim
Peoria, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 14, 2010
11:56 AM

Post #7968223

I found it. Thank you!
enya_34
Madison, WI

July 14, 2010
12:07 PM

Post #7968256

franknjim, your gardens are very impressive. I really like the wide angle photographs of them.
It gives the idea of planning that went into each bed. Tremendous hardscape work and bed planning!
Judging by the amount of propagation work, more planting coming pretty soon :)

I am inspired every time I see a transformation like that. Makes me feel capable to pick up a
shovel and add another foot to the perennial beds. Thank you for sharing your garden.

cece,
I did not realise you had so many annuals. I can't overwinter anything - no garage and the house
if 78F all year round basement to main floor :( But I enjoy everybody's pictures of those beauties :)

This message was edited Jul 14, 2010 1:10 PM

cececoogan

cececoogan
Waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

July 14, 2010
12:42 PM

Post #7968357

I have in the past been the Queen of over-wintering fools, Not doing so much this year. Only the Brugs, Alo's and Cannas will be brought in. I'm going to save seeds from the Cleome and sow those next year and try for the nicotiana and the cosmos...Maybe taking a few cuttings from the Alstromerias and the scented geraniums, persian shield,...If the cuttings make it they make it, if they don't they don't. I'll just buy more anyway, so what would be the point of driving myslf goofy trying to find space and time for all of them.

I must be getting old.,,,
KaylyRed
Watertown, WI
(Zone 5a)

July 14, 2010
2:40 PM

Post #7968612

Frank, cece...you guys have WAY too much ambition. I won't go outside these days for fear of being a) melted by the hot temperatures and humidity, or b) carried away by mosquitoes. lol
franknjim
Peoria, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 14, 2010
3:12 PM

Post #7968684

I do it so I can eliminate all traces of grass so I won't have to mow or weed whack ever again. I actually don't plan my beds. I build up a surplus of new and old plants then I just start placing pots according to mature size. I slice off the grass with a hand trowel and plant as I go. I can't have a permanent border yet because they keep getting moved as I expand the beds. I am getting a big dump truck full of hardwood mulch and one of flagstone by the end of this month along with probably about 20-30 new hostas and probably a few other things if I can control myself. I usually can't so I don't try all that hard. All of this new stuff will keep me busy for a few weeks and will make a huge difference in the way the yard looks. Eventually my yard will be full and I will have to start doing the neighbors yard across the street. They would love it since their yard is the worst on the block.

cececoogan

cececoogan
Waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

July 14, 2010
3:20 PM

Post #7968698

We must be kindred spirits. In fact, I know that one behind me and the ones on each side of me are hoping I run out of room very SOON and will start on their yards...

I have plans for two new beds so far. The one I was planning for the back can wait another couple months for I won't really be planting it right away, but the iris bed has got to get dug up and amended because my iris all NEED to be divided this year. That will be my next project.

Ed can put his tent back now if he wants. He can at least kill the grass for me... Such a small thing to ask.
sherriseden
Des Plaines, IL
(Zone 5b)

July 14, 2010
6:07 PM

Post #7969083

I think you are kindred spirits, indeed! Everything is gorgeous. Franknjim, the African Mask elephant ear is INCREDIBLE!! How do you overwinter? Just cut back and put in low light and water occasionally?
franknjim
Peoria, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 14, 2010
6:27 PM

Post #7969132

Last year I kept all of the ears growing in pots in the house. This year will be different. The ones that are single plants in pots I will keep growing in the house, for the rest I will wash off all soil, cut off all leaves, let bulbs dry completely and then hang them in mesh bags in the basement. Some people store them in dry peat moss but many times they have problems with mold. Panty hose, onion bags and things like that would work to hang them up but I have too many so I will probably buy some tulle, cut large squares out of it, put the bulbs in it and tie a knot with the four corners to hang it. This way they will have air circulating around them and through the tulle to help prevent mold.

If they are kept in pots, not watered and let go dormant the chance of mold increases. Watering would cause them to grow. I try to avoid having houseplants. I went through that phase 20 years ago having 100 huge houseplants and 100 succulents/cactus. I built my own greenhouse back then for my first huge garden. The garden I have now is the 3rd big one.
sherriseden
Des Plaines, IL
(Zone 5b)

July 15, 2010
8:03 AM

Post #7970225

Great, thanks, Frankjim - good info! Yes, I'm really careful with what I bring in the house plantwise, as I have a cat and dog and many houseplants are poisonous. (I know outdoor ones are too, but I don't worry about my dog - she ignores plants . . . except cherry tomatoes which she loves to catch when thrown in the air!) I just have a few plain ol' pothos, which I love because they're traily like philodendron, but not toxic.
franknjim
Peoria, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 15, 2010
8:20 AM

Post #7970266

I have 2 large and 3 giant breed dogs, 2 cats, 2 medium and 2 large parrots, 4 rats & a snake. Elephant Ears have a sap that can paralyze a throat like diffenbachia. I am overly protective of my pets so I don't let any of them near any of my plants.

Simple things like apple seeds can kill a parrot. The saying "Canary in a coal mine" is because they are hyper sensitive to gases, burning teflon pans, household cleaners, air fresheners and scented candles to name a few.
enya_34
Madison, WI

July 15, 2010
8:25 AM

Post #7970279

You do have a full house :) I did not know that Elephant Ears were so dangerous. Mental note: read about all of my garden plants.

I have finally my oriental lilies open!

Thumbnail by enya_34

enya_34
Madison, WI

July 15, 2010
8:26 AM

Post #7970281

This is Rudbeckia Sonoma that came with the groceries. I shop at Woodman's and sometimes they have perennials in the veggies department. Go figure :)

Thumbnail by enya_34

enya_34
Madison, WI

July 15, 2010
8:27 AM

Post #7970285

Here's a mum that escaped my trimming to delay the blooms :(

Thumbnail by enya_34

cececoogan

cececoogan
Waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

July 15, 2010
9:01 AM

Post #7970359

Beautiful photos enya
franknjim
Peoria, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 15, 2010
9:32 AM

Post #7970426

Toxic plants:
Amaryllis
Crown of thorns
Mistletoe
Arrowhead vine
Daffodil
Asparagus fern
Pothos
Dieffenbachia
Philodendrons
Azalea
Elephant Ear
Pot mum
Bird of paradise
Emerald duke
Red princess
Boston ivy
English holly
Schefflera
Marble queen
Caladium
Iris
Christmas rose
Ivy
Spider plants
Sprengeri fern
Chrysanthemum
Lily of the valley
Jerusalem cherry
Creeping Charlie
Tulip
Creeping fig

More info on these and more plants that are toxic from the US Army:
http://chppm-www.apgea.army.mil/ento/PLANT.HTM
sherriseden
Des Plaines, IL
(Zone 5b)

July 15, 2010
10:12 AM

Post #7970489

Franknjim, your list is accurate, except that it doesn't differentiate between mildly and severely toxic. Pothos has oxalates which can cause irritation in mouth and throat. It can cause difficulty breathing and can even be fatal, but one would have to chew up the whole plant, I think. I may be wrong, so correct me if I am! This subject can get pretty deep. There are so many kinds of toxic, naturally occurring substances and the level and type of toxicity is overwhelming. Enya, don't be scared by this as I was when I first started looking into it. Really, the only thing I would NOT plant in my garden is datura - EXTREMELY toxic.
franknjim
Peoria, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 15, 2010
10:37 AM

Post #7970537

Our two Neapolitan Mastiffs cost us $5,700.00 and the 2 macaws cost $2,800.00 so I just avoid having any plants in the house that any animal can get to. When I do keep plants in the house they are kept in a closed bedroom that the animals are not allowed into. It doesn't matter if a plant is toxic or not, I won't take any chances with my pets. I haven't let any of the dogs out in the front yard in almost a year now since I jumped back into gardening big time again.

cececoogan

cececoogan
Waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

July 15, 2010
11:09 AM

Post #7970606

Wow a small fortune just in pets!!!! I'd be careful what plants I got myself... Better you than me...
ed would divorce me I started buying pets at those amounts...
franknjim
Peoria, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 15, 2010
11:16 AM

Post #7970623

I love my garden and love my pets. The thousands I spend in the yard is minimal compared to food and vet bills for the critters. I have a collage of them here: http://www.illinimastini.com/dogs/pets.jpg and I might have a new Neo puppy coming from Italy in a month or two!

cececoogan

cececoogan
Waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

July 15, 2010
11:53 AM

Post #7970658

Interesting collection of animals. but rats and snakes? oh my! You and my husband would might get along with the snake but the rats????? Sorry, even mice and voles freak me out.
sherriseden
Des Plaines, IL
(Zone 5b)

July 15, 2010
12:19 PM

Post #7970711

They're beautiful, Franknjim! (well, I don't know about the snakes and rats!) I love animals, too!
sherriseden
Des Plaines, IL
(Zone 5b)

July 15, 2010
12:21 PM

Post #7970713

Just took a few more pics . . .

Here's delphinium black knight

Thumbnail by sherriseden

sherriseden
Des Plaines, IL
(Zone 5b)

July 15, 2010
12:22 PM

Post #7970717

Foxglove of some type . . .

Thumbnail by sherriseden

sherriseden
Des Plaines, IL
(Zone 5b)

July 15, 2010
12:23 PM

Post #7970720

Pinky Winky hydrangea . . .

Thumbnail by sherriseden

sherriseden
Des Plaines, IL
(Zone 5b)

July 15, 2010
12:26 PM

Post #7970723

Daylillies and black eyed susan . . .

Thumbnail by sherriseden

sherriseden
Des Plaines, IL
(Zone 5b)

July 15, 2010
12:27 PM

Post #7970727

Hosta 'Guacamole' flower - large and fragrant!

Thumbnail by sherriseden

cececoogan

cececoogan
Waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

July 15, 2010
12:31 PM

Post #7970731

Rudbeckia 'Cherokee Sunset'

Thumbnail by cececoogan

cececoogan

cececoogan
Waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

July 15, 2010
12:32 PM

Post #7970734

Cleome aka Spider flower

Thumbnail by cececoogan

cececoogan

cececoogan
Waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

July 15, 2010
12:32 PM

Post #7970736

Did I post my new gardening buddy?

Thumbnail by cececoogan

cececoogan

cececoogan
Waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

July 15, 2010
12:34 PM

Post #7970738

Would that Foxglove be 'Pam's Choice'? I had ordered a couple that looked just like that under that name but they never came back...
enya_34
Madison, WI

July 15, 2010
1:18 PM

Post #7970811

cece,
'Cherokee Sunset' has such a full flower. How compact the plant is? I'd like to replace all of my Rudbeckia over 3' with shorter ones. The tall ones flop after the rain and the passerbys break them :(

Sheri,
Just realized I need to move my 'Guacamole' closer to where I can see and smell it. What a lovely hosta!

cececoogan

cececoogan
Waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

July 15, 2010
2:00 PM

Post #7970895

If I remember correctly (which isn't always the case) I believe the book said 24" tall by 8-10" wide. I do like it, though. This is a first time ever...Just planted it in May of this year.
sherriseden
Des Plaines, IL
(Zone 5b)

July 15, 2010
3:21 PM

Post #7971036

Cece, love your gardening buddy!! Yes, I believe it is Pam's Choice, but I think those come in different colors. They won't come back because they're biennial - leaf out first year, bloom second year - but they should self seed quite a bit. I almost think I like digitalis ambigua (aka grandiflora) a bit better because it is a true perennial and my gosh . . . blooms that started on mine in mid or late June still look good and there are new ones! Here's pic - it's on the right in back of the ninebark shrub just to the left of a stake. (I know, I need to move it to the front!)

Thumbnail by sherriseden

cececoogan

cececoogan
Waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

July 15, 2010
4:09 PM

Post #7971138

But Mine never even re-seeded. I gave up on it...Yes I like my strawberry foxglove and it keeps coming back so I am very happy with it. My Foxgloves AND my delphiniums.
sherriseden
Des Plaines, IL
(Zone 5b)

July 15, 2010
7:28 PM

Post #7971611

You sound like me - foxgloves and delphs!! : )

cececoogan

cececoogan
Waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

July 16, 2010
3:50 AM

Post #7972118

Gotta love Delphiniums and foxgloves...least I do.
huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

July 16, 2010
4:47 AM

Post #7972163

and Mee too...Lets see what Ive got going on here, lots of beautiful blooms

Thumbnail by huggergirl

huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

July 16, 2010
4:50 AM

Post #7972168

Delphinium,Anyone on a name of this color ,Ive lost the tag

Thumbnail by huggergirl

huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

July 16, 2010
4:52 AM

Post #7972175

star gazer,liatris

Thumbnail by huggergirl

huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

July 16, 2010
5:05 AM

Post #7972202

My ladder trellis,for gourds

Thumbnail by huggergirl

huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

July 16, 2010
5:08 AM

Post #7972208

I love cleome,and zebrina malva

Thumbnail by huggergirl

cececoogan

cececoogan
Waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

July 16, 2010
5:10 AM

Post #7972217

Beautiful Tamara. Just beautiful...
huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

July 16, 2010
5:18 AM

Post #7972240

thanks cece,I love your cherokee sunset,and your garden buddy he is so cute...Here is another photo of no ID purple bell flower???? and the tiger eye rudbeckia,Iam lovin this bed

Thumbnail by huggergirl

cececoogan

cececoogan
Waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

July 16, 2010
5:54 AM

Post #7972340

ohhh and some lamium and blue scabisoa. Beautiful. I have looks like all 4 of them, but then Ed is always saying there can't possibly be a plant on the planet I don't have. Oh don't I wish!!!!!!
huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

July 16, 2010
6:02 AM

Post #7972356

cece okok which is what because I dont know..LOL Well I know the rudbeckia and candytuft,but the proper names i know not ...Irish eyes rudbeckia here

This message was edited Jul 16, 2010 8:03 AM

Thumbnail by huggergirl

sherriseden
Des Plaines, IL
(Zone 5b)

July 16, 2010
7:46 AM

Post #7972636

Gorgeous, Tamara! I have to try malva. I think that delph is 'blue mirror'. I have about 5 because I fell in love with the color, but the weird thing is one or two are slightly different than the others in that they have spurs!

cececoogan

cececoogan
Waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

July 16, 2010
8:02 AM

Post #7972679

Tamara the plant to the left of the bell flowers is Lamium. Is a ground cover that kinda watch for it goes nuts. I like, no love it so I let it go where ever its little oh stems desire.

The blue flower behind you rude beckies is Blue Scabiosa or blue pin cushion flower.

My Irish eyes came up 3 years in a row looking like they are supposed to. This year they came up with a brown center instead of green. Guess it didn't want to be Irish any more.
huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

July 16, 2010
10:48 AM

Post #7973058

Ok ,Dead Nettle (lamium) its white and I have purple on the east side of the house.thanks..and the blue scabiosa ,is new and I love it..Does it winter well ??? I will save Malva Zebrina seeds

cececoogan

cececoogan
Waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

July 16, 2010
11:11 AM

Post #7973110

My Blue scabiosa is wonderful winters perfectly every year AND doesn't take over like the yellow one has. That one got huge this year but the Butterfly Blue has just stayed maybe a little bit larger than yours for the past 3 years. I like. Yes, Lamium is spotted deadnettle.
enya_34
Madison, WI

July 16, 2010
11:23 AM

Post #7973140

Making a note to myself - ladder trellis. What a wonderful cottage look and so practical!
huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

July 16, 2010
3:54 PM

Post #7973783

Thanks cece.and Enya ,the ladder is working out better than I imagined,I love it,I have another taller ladder and Iam wanting to find a spot for it
Pippi21
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 6b)

July 26, 2010
5:15 AM

Post #7997418

Tamara..that bed with the scabiosa looks great. The "Irish eyes" almost looks like "Prairie Sun" that I ordered seeds from T&M the other day. Will share when they come. Boy, doesn't that peppermint phlox look like the candy? My dear Mother always kept some wrapped peppermint candy in her purse on Sundays, "in case she got to coughing." and I love peppermint candy too and think of her every time I see it. Tears are coming to my eye, just thinking about her. It's been 19 yrs. now since I lost her and I think of her every day. . Just think of all the plants you can buy with the Vet money!Shh! don't tell Ralph! LOL!

cececoogan

cececoogan
Waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

July 26, 2010
5:28 AM

Post #7997435

Hibiscus moscheutos "Brrandywine'

Thumbnail by cececoogan

cececoogan

cececoogan
Waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

July 26, 2010
5:29 AM

Post #7997438

H. moscheutos Pierot (sp)

Thumbnail by cececoogan

cececoogan

cececoogan
Waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

July 26, 2010
5:29 AM

Post #7997439

H. moscheutos Stardust

Thumbnail by cececoogan

huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

July 26, 2010
5:42 AM

Post #7997473

Hey all,Cece,I think my blue scabiosa is really Texas Bluebells,I want to see your blue scabiosa,and I did get some pale yellow scabiosa from the swap ,its blooming now .And the bluebells are blooming like mad .Kaleyred gave me an ID on the bluebells ,because I had looked up scabiosa and I didnt think it matched up and neither did she,she posted it on the id forum .She couldnt wait for me to do it !!!! LOL
huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

July 26, 2010
5:43 AM

Post #7997474

nice hybiscus,I wish I had some...

cececoogan

cececoogan
Waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

July 26, 2010

Post #7997534

I'll save some seed for you...There is another person over on cubits I'll be saving some for. What color? The red, white, or Hot pink?
huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

July 26, 2010
6:09 AM

Post #7997544

Oh cece I really dont know where Id put them..LOL Are they full sun ???

cececoogan

cececoogan
Waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

July 26, 2010
6:38 AM

Post #7997611

Yep
huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

July 26, 2010
7:00 AM

Post #7997654

I do have full sun now ,but Iam going to have to move the Glowing Embers hydrangas,they get too much sun now,we cut down a tree.Hys have clorosis ?now,getting better but Iam not sure the full sun is soo great for them ,I do keep them watered.Then I could plant Hibiscus.LOL
enya_34
Madison, WI

July 26, 2010
8:13 AM

Post #7997821

I have a really compact hibiscus that is not doing well as the oaks too the sun away. Now it does not get any direct sun at all.
I would like to move it. Has anyone moved hibiscus? Are those easy to move? Any words of wisdom are appreciated.
sherriseden
Des Plaines, IL
(Zone 5b)

July 26, 2010
2:55 PM

Post #7998653

Enya, I might be wrong, but I think you can move pretty much anything as long as you balance out the roots and top growth before you put it in its new spot, and cut off any blooms (you want the plant to put energy into rooting down into its new place rather than making flowers and seeds). I've even moved baptisia successfully, which is supposed to be very bad to move. If you break a lot of roots, just cut them off and trim the top growth down to what can be supported by the remaining good roots. Again, this is only my experience - maybe someone knows about hibiscus specifically? Good luck!!
sherriseden
Des Plaines, IL
(Zone 5b)

July 26, 2010
2:59 PM

Post #7998660

Here are black eyed susans in front of phlox 'Wendy House' and phlox 'Orange Perfection' and those are in front of amsonia foliage. This picture doesn't do 'Orange' justice - it's really more of a bright melon color. It's really pretty!

Thumbnail by sherriseden

sherriseden
Des Plaines, IL
(Zone 5b)

July 26, 2010
3:01 PM

Post #7998666

Cece, the white hibiscus is beautiful with its shadows of blue and pink!
huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

July 27, 2010

Post #7999506

sherri,That is very pretty,and would look great with some Malva,has anyone else ever heard it called french hollyhock?Do you grow any hollyhocks ? this is my 1st year for HH 2nd for malva.Here is the blue delph,and zinnias

Thumbnail by huggergirl

huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

July 27, 2010
5:04 AM

Post #7999524

Black or really dark purple HH

Thumbnail by huggergirl

huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

July 27, 2010
5:10 AM

Post #7999529

Red HH the leaves are a bit different thanthe black ones and a bit shorter,anyone that knows a bit about HH please tell me anything ... what variety is shorter ect..

Thumbnail by huggergirl

sherriseden
Des Plaines, IL
(Zone 5b)

July 27, 2010
6:01 AM

Post #7999599

Hugger, those hollyhocks are beautiful. I wish I could tell you about hollyhocks, but all I know is that I tried to grow them once and they flopped all over! Probably not enough sun.
huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

July 27, 2010

Post #7999606

my black ones dont get any sun till 11:00 am,here are some peach double bloom or ruffley ??? OH and Chocolate Basil isnt it pretty,and cleome

This message was edited Jul 27, 2010 8:06 AM

Thumbnail by huggergirl

Maxine
Western, WI
(Zone 4a)

July 27, 2010
6:09 AM

Post #7999614

Cece, may I be put on your list for the "red" and "pink" hibiscus?
I have the white with a pink eye if you wish seeds from it? Let me know.

Huggergirl, with HH you have to be careful as they are prone to white mildew. Had them for yrs. on the farm and they do require full sun. Wind is hard on them so they should be protected. I had mine up against the barn walls.
Also what is the gorgeous pink flower in the background of your pic.?
Do you save seeds from your Delph. ? I do. Have mauve and must check and see if they set any seed this yr. I ordered mine from New Zealand. They have the most wonderful Delphs. of any one.

Maxine
huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

July 27, 2010
6:17 AM

Post #7999624

I see a few pink zinnias,and the cleome .The delph is setting seed I need to go out and collect was going to yesterday ,but I ended up painting some garden art projects instead..LOL But didnt this turn out beautiful,thank you Camillia84 for sending me in the right direction...

Thumbnail by huggergirl

huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

July 27, 2010
6:19 AM

Post #7999627

Cantaburybells

Thumbnail by huggergirl

cececoogan

cececoogan
Waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

July 27, 2010
6:25 AM

Post #7999637

Maxine Brandy wine and stardust? Check, You know I better start making a list of who is wanting which and hope I don't forget altogether and just not collect the seed. I am really bad at this. Yes Maxine I will hope that ADD doesn't set in and I will get you a pod of each color

I got these yesterday...haven't planted them yet but I bought them

Thumbnail by cececoogan

cececoogan

cececoogan
Waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

July 27, 2010
6:26 AM

Post #7999642

Hardy Hibiscus Luna's Red and Pink Swirl...
huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

July 27, 2010
6:29 AM

Post #7999647

sweet blooms ,soo pretty,I had add yesterday...LOL
Maxine
Western, WI
(Zone 4a)

July 27, 2010
6:41 AM

Post #7999673

Love that swirly pink colored hibiscus. Seeds also of that one, if you get seeds?
Will try and take pics. of mine and post to see if any one wants seeds. Thundering right now and we will soon be getting rain according to radar.

Huggergirl, if you have any extra seeds of your blue delph. may I have some. I am going to try and save seeds from my dp. purple and mauve and will share with who ever wants some. Very few bees this yr., so don't know if their will be seeds.

Maxine
huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

July 27, 2010
6:46 AM

Post #7999683

I pulled a bunch of Tithonia and dug some HH out of a part shade bed ,wonder what I should put in there ,mmm.LOL yes Maxine I will go out and see what seeds Ican find for you and anyone else might want some.

cececoogan

cececoogan
Waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

July 27, 2010
8:23 AM

Post #7999900

IDK Maxine we have plenty of bees flying around if I could round them up I'd send some you're way but they get a little testy about getting caught ya know?
Maxine
Western, WI
(Zone 4a)

July 27, 2010
2:56 PM

Post #8000654

Oh don't I know. Last yr. I got stung 7 times with hornets and they are so painful, but not so nasty after getting hit with RAID!
No pity for them if they sting me.

Maxine
huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

July 28, 2010
4:50 AM

Post #8001629

cece,how long does it take to get a hybiscus to bloom that you started from seed ? Those are soo pretty

cececoogan

cececoogan
Waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

July 28, 2010
8:02 AM

Post #8002016

I have no idea Tamara...I've never started any from seed. Seeds do not like me...they either never germinate. collapse and die if they do, or die once transplanted out. I gave up on seeds along time ago and just let the seed starters go with it and pay the extra for a nice size plant. Those I can keep alive.
enya_34
Madison, WI

July 28, 2010
1:12 PM

Post #8002634

Tamara, are hollyhocks perennial? Peach one is good to eat :) Are they really that compact where you grow them, the
red and the peach? The ones I see are pretty tall - over 4 feet.

Colors are so vibrant! Phlox are lovely. Blue just melts my heart :)
Maxine
Western, WI
(Zone 4a)

July 28, 2010
1:21 PM

Post #8002662

Enja, if I remember right they are a biannual. grow one yr., bloom the next and the next bloom and die.
I normally don't have any trouble starting seeds, but sometimes!!
hibiscus don't bloom the first yr. Takes a yr for them to be established.

Maxine
huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

July 29, 2010
4:07 AM

Post #8003866

cece, good then I wont try !!! Now I dont feel like I should be starting hibiscus from seed...I will buy established plants..LOL if I move the hydrangas I might try hibiscus.Trying real hard not to buy anything right now,just trying to keep up with what I have.
huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

July 29, 2010
4:20 AM

Post #8003886

enya,This is my fist year with hollyhocks,so Iam still in the learning curve.The peach and red HH seem to be 4-5ft they have different shaped leaves ,than my black HH and they are over 10ft.I have not looked into them yet,need to go over and find HH forum.
sherriseden
Des Plaines, IL
(Zone 5b)

July 30, 2010
8:42 AM

Post #8006510

Hollyhocks and hibiscus, oh my!! They are very pretty. I would ask for seeds, too, Cece, but I don't have much sun and those guys love sun!

Here is a box I just planted with clearance annuals - verbena, dianthus, and a purply-pinky leaved plant whose name I can't remember. I did have 'Wave' petunias in the box, but they never waved, they just straggled and hung. Yuck! I like this combo, though.

Thumbnail by sherriseden

cececoogan

cececoogan
Waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

July 30, 2010
8:54 AM

Post #8006532

Purple heart vine it looks to me...
Maxine
Western, WI
(Zone 4a)

July 30, 2010
9:08 AM

Post #8006558

One of the rudbeckia that I started from seed last yr. "Cappiccino"

Maxine

Thumbnail by Maxine

Maxine
Western, WI
(Zone 4a)

July 30, 2010
9:12 AM

Post #8006566

One of my hibiscus.

Maxine

Thumbnail by Maxine

Maxine
Western, WI
(Zone 4a)

July 30, 2010
9:13 AM

Post #8006567

My white hibiscus.

Maxine

Thumbnail by Maxine

cececoogan

cececoogan
Waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

July 30, 2010
2:13 PM

Post #8007130

The Japanese Beetles were all over my precious hibbies this morning...:(grrrrrrrrrrrrr
enya_34
Madison, WI

July 30, 2010
3:39 PM

Post #8007310

yes, hibiscus seems to be one of their top choices :(

Cappuccino is really pretty!

Here's an unintended take over. I am keeping those impatients, otherwise
light colored hostas are going to burn big time. Waiting for that JM to take up :)

Thumbnail by enya_34

enya_34
Madison, WI

July 30, 2010
3:40 PM

Post #8007313

Tall white balloon flowers and White swan Echinacea

Thumbnail by enya_34

enya_34
Madison, WI

July 30, 2010
3:41 PM

Post #8007316

oriental lily Casa Blanca

Thumbnail by enya_34

enya_34
Madison, WI

July 30, 2010
3:43 PM

Post #8007320

Hosta Fujibotan The flowerscapes on this middium size hosta are over 4ft tall, so you can see the flowers practically at the eye level :)

Thumbnail by enya_34

allnitro
Waterloo, IA
(Zone 4b)

July 31, 2010
5:46 AM

Post #8008237

Very nice to see the blooms on your 'Fujibotan' Ev.

Jeff
huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

August 1, 2010
6:07 AM

Post #8010459

nice stuff everyone !!!! umm where to start, Ok I picked up 4 rudbeckia starts at the R-UP,who did those come from ,dont ask me what the tags say !!!LOL the markers are mini blinds,They are doing wonderfully,1 bloomed bright yellow,another is ready to pop,I will have to go ck.Thank you whomever it was, maybe maxine ??? Love that Casa Blanca Ev,Cece Kill those buggers.oh Sheri ,my petunias are growing straight up in the air,I hate them...I will have to go take a photo of them,happened last yr too.
Maxine
Western, WI
(Zone 4a)

August 1, 2010
8:21 AM

Post #8010715

Huggergirl, will have to own up to bringing the rudbeckia's.
My petunia's are doing the same dang thing. Should have got them cut off, but you know where good intentions go, don't you??

Maxine
huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

August 27, 2010
4:47 AM

Post #8064880

this is Henry Eilers rudbeckia its 5ft tall I love the tubular petals its so dainty but tall

Thumbnail by huggergirl

cececoogan

cececoogan
Waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

August 27, 2010
6:16 AM

Post #8064998

Here is my Caryopteris 'Longwood Blue' in bloom are various stages of bloom

Thumbnail by cececoogan

cececoogan

cececoogan
Waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

August 27, 2010
6:16 AM

Post #8064999

a closer look

Thumbnail by cececoogan

cececoogan

cececoogan
Waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

August 27, 2010
6:17 AM

Post #8065003

the Cleome I got from sjweld at the round-up in summer

Thumbnail by cececoogan

sherriseden
Des Plaines, IL
(Zone 5b)

August 27, 2010
7:30 AM

Post #8065131

Hugger, love that rudbeckia! And Cece, I bet you have tons of butterflies by your caryopteris. I thought they weren't hardy to zone 5, though. Does yours come back every year?

Here's a pic of my turtlehead Hot Lips. The blooms really do look like little turtle heads!

Thumbnail by sherriseden

cececoogan

cececoogan
Waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

August 27, 2010
11:37 AM

Post #8065467

Every year. I leave fall and winter and then early spring cut it back to the ground and it comes right back up. Last year I didn't get to it early enough to cut it down to the ground and it just leafed out everywhere. Will have to remember to get to it earlier in spring to keep it a nice size. But yeah its hardy here.

I ordered a Caryopteris 'Loraine Sunshine last spring and planted it. It isn't blooming yet but the leaves are a yellowish green. Really kinda cool looking. I post a pic of that but have to take it first *grin*

cececoogan

cececoogan
Waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

August 27, 2010

Post #8065526

Here is Caropteris 'Loraine Sunshine'

Thumbnail by cececoogan

cececoogan

cececoogan
Waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

August 27, 2010

Post #8065527

And it IS getting buds on it I am so excited.

Thumbnail by cececoogan

cececoogan

cececoogan
Waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

August 27, 2010
12:24 PM

Post #8065529

I planted a Beautyberry shrub this past spring also and for got to take a pic of its tiny pink blooms...

Thumbnail by cececoogan

cececoogan

cececoogan
Waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

August 27, 2010
12:25 PM

Post #8065530

Its getting it's little berries though and they are supposed to turn purple when they are bigger

Thumbnail by cececoogan

cececoogan

cececoogan
Waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

August 27, 2010
12:26 PM

Post #8065534

I love these Persian Shields...

Thumbnail by cececoogan

cececoogan

cececoogan
Waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

August 27, 2010
12:27 PM

Post #8065536

My Brugmansia 'Wretched Mess' is opening its bloom. She's a double so pretty slow to open

Thumbnail by cececoogan

huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

August 28, 2010
4:38 AM

Post #8066626

cece,love that persian sheilds.I love cleome this was the 1st time Ive grown it,although I had to pull it and a few others hollyhocks and cantburybells,We had some wind a few weeks ago it ripped through here,pushed the camper into the shed too.

Thumbnail by huggergirl

huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

August 28, 2010
4:42 AM

Post #8066633

wind took these out too

Thumbnail by huggergirl

huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

August 28, 2010

Post #8066639

and these...

Thumbnail by huggergirl

huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

August 28, 2010
4:52 AM

Post #8066648

This was early summer ,but I love it, Soapwart. It seems to do well in part shade .

Thumbnail by huggergirl

huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

August 28, 2010
4:56 AM

Post #8066653

peatunias keeping up with zinnias,

This message was edited Aug 28, 2010 7:16 PM

Thumbnail by huggergirl

huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

August 28, 2010
5:00 AM

Post #8066659

Ive only got a few areas tolerating the heat and no rain..

Thumbnail by huggergirl

KaylyRed
Watertown, WI
(Zone 5a)

August 28, 2010
2:37 PM

Post #8067370

Some great looking blooms, Hugger, Sherri and Cece!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Upper Midwest Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Me Too! Great Forum idea! / Seed saving question caitlinsgarden 12 Jun 6, 2007 1:34 PM
Let's Plan a "TO-DO" Calendar! julie88 104 Jan 23, 2013 10:47 AM
Raggball ornaments raggedyann16142 8 Jun 6, 2007 1:39 PM
Organizing & Documenting *my* Seeds and Plant Info julie88 199 Mar 11, 2007 5:11 PM
ROAD TRIP to DUBUQUE and beyond ! Wandasflowers 93 Apr 8, 2007 12:17 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America