Photo by Melody

Article: Use cattle panels to build an arched trellis & hoop house: Kudos!

Communities > Forums > Article: Use cattle panels to build an arched trellis & hoop house
bookmark
Forum: Article: Use cattle panels to build an arched trellis & hoop houseReplies: 9, Views: 106
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

June 18, 2010
5:31 AM

Post #7898830

Having 'watched' both these arched trellis constructs (in person), off and on during the progress, I must say I'm impressed with how professional looking the newest one is. Both functional and easy to manage, plus a nice visual addition to the yard.

Sundownr

Sundownr
(Bev) Wytheville, VA
(Zone 6a)

June 18, 2010
6:51 AM

Post #7898990

Thanks, I appreciate your observations and opinion. How did your single panel trellis do?

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

June 18, 2010
8:01 AM

Post #7899195

It's in an awkward place for mowing, so I'm taking it down to use on my chicken 'yard' later. I have enough other trellis for just my veggies, since my family won't eat them.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Euless, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 18, 2010
9:59 AM

Post #7899465

So Bev, it's about 5 feet tall in the middle (gravel) part? You can walk in there w/out too much trouble? And it sounds like you could make this one panel long. (I'd be the only eater, really.) We're about to have to figure out the trellis for the EarthBox again, if the plants ever get big enough.

Only problem is, there's NOTHING rural around here. It's a big deal to get the hay bale for manger scenes at Christmas (which is the only place I've ever seen it), so it's not like I can go to HD to load up on supplies, the way I would for any other project.

Sundownr

Sundownr
(Bev) Wytheville, VA
(Zone 6a)

June 18, 2010
1:40 PM

Post #7900306

Carrie, My arched cattle panel trellis is set up to be over 6' tall in the middle, but you could spread it out as wide as you want to bring the center height down. Some of the home improvement stores (around here) stock hay and/or straw, but you may have to ask them for it. The hay bales are just a method I like to use, nothing says you have to. Just use your planter boxes at either end of the cattle panels. Hope you can get a trellis set up you can use!

Thanks for reading,
Bev

carrielamont

carrielamont
Euless, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 18, 2010
2:27 PM

Post #7900441

Thanks for answering! :-) Great idea, and great article ... next year!
Pamgarden
Central, VA
(Zone 7b)

June 18, 2010
7:54 PM

Post #7901504

Bev, You really did an incredible job. Thanks for sharing.

Sundownr

Sundownr
(Bev) Wytheville, VA
(Zone 6a)

June 18, 2010
8:07 PM

Post #7901549

Pamgarden, You're welcome.
Thanks for reading and posting the kind words,
Bev

onewish1

onewish1
Denville, NJ
(Zone 6b)

June 18, 2010
8:11 PM

Post #7901562

very nice... wish I had the room to do something like that... my heart sunk when I saw the blight photos though

:(

Sundownr

Sundownr
(Bev) Wytheville, VA
(Zone 6a)

June 18, 2010
9:25 PM

Post #7901715

onewish1, Yes, last year's blight was devastating for all of us. I'm hoping we can avoid it this year... some folks are already dealing with it the best they can.

Thanks for reading,
Bev

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Use cattle panels to build an arched trellis & hoop house Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
I did this too! gretagreenthumb 5 Jun 21, 2010 11:11 AM
Make it movable LavacaW 1 Jun 21, 2010 11:02 AM
planting question mellogardener 1 Jun 21, 2010 7:41 PM
Cattle pannels GardenerRon 3 Jan 17, 2012 7:07 AM
about cattle panels flwrpwr40 1 Jul 7, 2010 7:16 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America